To face Mavs, Kings need 4 on the floor

To face Mavs, Kings need 4 on the floor

Wins in their final four games would guarantee a playoff series against Dallas.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, April 15, 2005

LOS ANGELES - If the Kings want to orchestrate their fourth playoff meeting in four seasons against the Dallas Mavericks, they can do so by winning their final four games of the regular season starting tonight at the Staples Center against the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Kings still can finish anywhere from fifth to seventh in the Western Conference, which means they still can match up against San Antonio, Phoenix, Seattle or Dallas. Either San Antonio or Phoenix will finish second and then would play the seventh-seeded team.

Memphis' loss Wednesday night at Houston limited their best possible season-ending record to 48-34, which is as poorly as the Kings can finish. However, Sacramento won the season series 3-0, and thereby would win the first playoff tiebreaker and finish no lower than seventh.

Sacramento (48-30) will take a one-half game lead over Houston (48-31) and a one-game lead over the streaking Denver Nuggets (47-31) into tonight's matchup against the Lakers.

It is the first of a three-game road trip that continues through Phoenix and Utah before the Kings end the regular season at Arco against the Pacific Division champion Suns.

The Kings, who have won three straight and four of their past five, can finish with a 52-30 record by ending the season with four more wins.

Sacramento must finish with a better record than Houston to earn the tiebreaker edge because the Rockets hold that advantage over the Kings.

Sacramento and Houston split four regular-season games. However, the second tiebreaker is conference record, and Houston would finish with a better mark. The Kings, by virtue of a 2-1 season-series victory, hold the tiebreaker advantage over the Nuggets.

Kings coach Rick Adelman said he will continue to try to win games and let the season play itself out.

"We're going to play to win," the coach said this week. "We can't worry about what happens around us. And we can't control any of those other teams. We will try to continue to work on things during our games that we will use during the playoffs."

Adelman's next regular-season victory will give him 707 and tie him with John MacLeod for 14th on the NBA's all-time coaching list. The Kings' franchise leader in coaching victories, Adelman ranks fourth in wins among active coaches behind Detroit's Larry Brown, Utah's Jerry Sloan and Denver's George Karl.

After the momentous battles Adelman's teams in Portland and Sacramento have waged against the Lakers, he'd love nothing more than to add one more win to the ledger. However, few players and/or coaches believe games now carry the same significance that they did just a season ago.

It was then when the Kings lost the Pacific Division title during the regular season's final week when Lakers star Kobe Bryant nearly single-handedly defeated the Trail Blazers in Portland to give L.A. the division. "It's completely different now," Bryant said. "Now you have Kenny Thomas and Brian Skinner out there playing. The only ones that are there from the rivalry days are Mike Bibby and Peja (Stojakovic)."

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12729210p-13581084c.html

bigbadred00 said:
Houston and Denver play each other on Sunday which will help us in 1 front and hurt us in another. Please keep the 5th or 6th seed, KINGS!
It's Saturday on national television, and I'll be at the game...woohoo!

Winning out is the only strategy for all 3 teams as any of them could end up with the 7th seed if you get too fancy trying to obtain the 6th.

I think we will go 3-1 the rest of the way. I think we might drop a close one at phx. I want the kings to have the 6th seed so that we can matchup vs the sonics with similar injuries . One injury team should play another injury team to be fair , i personally think kings vs sonics would be a great first round matchup for both team's fans.

Pray for the 6th seed !!!

I think its always nice to play the game to win...

Have I ever mentioned how much i hate the Mavs?

I can't wait for the Suns games we matchup really well with them size wise and we have the ability and run and put a lot of points on the board just like them...its gonna be fun...one thing though is that the Suns are breaking down a bit I mean Q got injured earlier this week though he might play tonight in there game against the Clips...its obvious that they are exhausted their shots are falling like they once were...Nash is pretty much spent...should be interesting with them having the back to back I mean we have a back to back too but we also had 4 days off prior to that they did not...

OK, it is my belief that you don't intentionally tank games, BUT I wouldn't be all heartbroken if we lost just enough of them to end up facing Seattle in the first round. I detest the mavs, cuban, and their fans. I am not all that confident in the match-ups either. If I have to watch cuban doing the happy pee dance on our floor again, I'll probably be getting an up close and personal look at the mythical jail cell nestled in the bowels of ARCO and I am thinking that is not a good thing.

Kingsgurl said:
BUT I wouldn't be all heartbroken if we lost just enough of them to end up facing Seattle in the first round.
but one game separating 3 teams where one has to face San Antonio means no one has the luxury to plan losses. Maybe on the very last game, but not until you have guaranteed to be no worse than 6th.

agreed?

Well, I did say I don't believe in jockeying for position by losing games, which, by extention, would mean I believe in playing all games to win. Where I think I lost you is the part where I said I want the Kings to face Seattle instead of the mavs. I don't think the team should be trying to make that happen, I just would prefer it if it did.