• NoBonus and Löwenherz

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Spike and NME

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Spike and Löwenherz

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It appears that we have a four way tie! Lets have a 1 day tiebreaker poll. Each team picks one member to represent them against the other team (Send via PM to Jespher). The original match-up is linked here. May the best super hero/villain win!

It has been decreed that Dream Force Voltron: Defenders of the Universe will be represented by it's champion, Voltron!

Volton will face the The Deciders villainous dictator, Darth Vader - Star Wars in a battle for supremacy!

The Round Table has gathered and selected Dr. Fate to defend their island.

Meanwhile, Löwenherz has conspired with his minions, and decided to summon forth Cthulhu - The Call of Cthulhu to represent him in the battle royale!

Here's the Match-ups:)

NoBonus's choice Voltron

vs.

Spike's choice Darth Vader - Star Wars

and

NME's choice Dr. Fate

vs.

Löwenherz's choice Cthulhu - The Call of Cthulhu

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Query of some significance -- did we ever decide if Voltron could actually function independently, or whether it was just a machine run by the other members of the team? Could be a short and brutal battle if Darth is standing there on the chest of an inert robot hacking away at will.

This matchup is right in the wheelhouse of Dr. Fate, our universe's magical protector. "Oh, Cthulhu's big and scary!" *Yawn* Dr. Fate saves the mortal plane from big and scary Lovecraftian beasts three times a day before lunch.

The fact that Cthulhu's ancient only means that everything about him is documented in Fate's library. Fate has a dozen spells ready for him that can banish old squidface back to from whence he came, or just blast him into a million buckets of chum.

Query of some significance -- did we ever decide if Voltron could actually function independently, or whether it was just a machine run by the other members of the team? Could be a short and brutal battle if Darth is standing there on the chest of an inert robot hacking away at will.
In my scenario, Voltron was selected to house my team, but, when drafted, I was told Voltron could be used as an independently functioning hero.

Darth Vader has nothing on Voltron Part 1.

Let's start with Vader's accomplishments in actual combat:

-Defeated a bunch of sleeping sandpeople.
-Defeated a bunch of small jedi children in a sneak attack.
-Defeated numerous members of his staff while they stood defenseless.
-Managed to somehow defeat an old-man version of Obi Wan Kenobi... well, Obi Wan kind of gave up.
-Defeated the Emporer (old man) in a sneak attack that killed Vader himself... so not really a victory.
-Managed to almost defeat an untrained Luke Skywalker in Empire, but lost to him in the next movie.
-Choked out some rebel prisoners while they were held at gunpoint.
-Managed to defeat a single X-Wing using his force powers and two wing men to prevent it from blowing up the Death Star... oh no, wait. He failed at that one.
-Lastly, he did defeat his pregnant wife.

Let's face facts... Vader is extremely weak in battle.

Last edited:
Darth Vader has nothing on Voltron part 2.

What exactly are Vader's powers?
1. Use of the force which is an extremely limited power. He can chuck a couple lunch pails at Voltron or throw his lightsaber... but Vader even lacks force lightning. When he really, really concentrates, he can force choke a helpless individual human... if they do not move around... if they hold perfectly still.
2. Partial robot body
3. Lightsaber

How pre-tell can this jumble of weak possibly defeat Voltron? Who is all robot, invincible, has a giant sword and tons of other weapons like laser eyes, lion head shooting hands and feet, etc? Vader stands no chance.

Last edited:
Vader has nothing on Voltron part 3

Here are Voltron's powers:

From http://www.voltroncentral.net/lion/info/weapons.php
Voltron's Weapons

Spinning Laser Blades
Description: Lion Voltron can form a spiky disc, which he can throw at an ememy to do considerable damage. The blade is powerful enough to destroy ships and do considerable debilitating damage to a robeast.

Lion Head Attack
Description: Introduced mid-way through the series, Voltron pulled this trick out of his hat for the first time, I believe, when battling the speedy Carp in "Lotor's New Hitman", and used it here and there afterwards. The attack involves all four of Voltron's appendages to lose their heads and go flying at the enemy (although I do recall a few eps where I believe only the lion heads on the arms blast off). The advantage is surprise and speed, and the attack will leave the enemy with more holes tore through than before - pretty debilitating!

Lion Torches
Description: The Lion torches are more than just fire-breathing appendages. Actually, the heads of the Lions that comprise Voltron's arms and legs can fire any number of substances. Sometimes they fire elements that match what each Lion is supposed to represent - fire, wind, water, and so on. Sometimes it's all wind, all fire, etc. Depends on what old Voltry needs to get done. This attack can weaken a robeast but I don't think it's ever finished one off.

Sting Ray Missiles
Description: Usually firing out of the mouths of the Blue and Yellow Lions, these missiles prime an enemy for the inevitable end, though they rarely finish off a significant foe.

Ion Darts
Description: These are beams with tiny darts in them that Voltron shoots at an enemy. They originate from part of his head, and really don't do that much damage.
Blazing Sword
Description: This is Voltron's ultimate weapon. LV creates the Sword by bringing his two "hands" together, then parting them with the Sword materializing in between. It's not your ordinary sword, for it's pretty powerful and can slice through metal like it's tin foil. This is the weapon that almost always decisively ends any battle - makes you wonder why Volty bothers with the other weapons ;)
In "Pidge's Home Planet", the blazing sword destroyed a robeast remotely, which was rather unsual. Using something called Star Fire, a four-pointed "star" came out of the Sword and hit the robeast, slicing it in quarters and destroying it. See images below
Eye Beams
Description: Just like in Vehicle Voltron, Lion Voltron can shoot destructive rays of energy out of his eyes at an enemy. While it packs a good wallop, it rarely dispatches major aggressors such as a robeast.
Electro-Force Cross
Description: This cross emits from the one on the Arusian seal, which adorns Voltron's chest. The cross in this form flies out and strikes its victims, usually in the head. It rarely does massive visible damage, but it seems to stun or paralyze the target, buying Voltron time to get out the serious toys, such as blazing sword.

Lion Lariat
Description: This rare item seems to magically form out of Voltron's body, and it actually functions more like a pair of nun-chucks than a lariat. This was used in the episode "The Buried Castle", and Voltron used the items to deflect an assault from incoming projectiles. It seems to be more of a defensive weapon than one of attack.

Lion Saber
Description: Lion Voltron reaches behind his head and pulls out two spears, which he then puts together to form a double-ended saber. He throws this weapon like a javelin to disable an enemy, though it usually isn't powerful enough to take out a robeast. This is a similar weapon to VV's solar combat spears.

Argon Force Field
Description: Extremely rare for Voltron to use, he employed this trick on the Avok robeast during "My Brother Is A Robeast". Basically, it's this ball of energy he releases, which encases Voltron in a sort of force field AND it traps his enemy in a similar field effecting a sort of stalemate.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Darth Vader's only option would be to pull a Skywalker "Hoth AT-AT" style attack - use one of those cable guns to climb up Voltron, use a lightsaber to slice open a, um, hole, and attack from within, I would think. Of course, Voltron could just snap his legs together and pop Vader like a grape. :D

Or use the lightsaber to deflect any laser shots back to Voltron.

Still sounds a bit weak when I put it that way though....hard to say.

Hmmmmm.

Darth Vader has nothing on Voltron part 4

Here is how the very brief "Battle" if you want to call it that as Vader has inadequate powers to even attack Voltron, would look.

Darth Vader has nothing on Voltron part 5

If Vader opted to battle in his "terrifying" tie-fighter, it would look something like this:

How does Voltron plan to guard his mind from The Force?
The same way everyone else who defeated Vader shielded their mind from the Force... his mind control is a card trick that requires Vader look into your eyes to have work (as demonstrated by Obi Wan and Luke)... so, unless Voltron picks Vader up off the ground and hold him in front of his face, I really don't see it as a problem. Also, since Voltron has long-range attacks, the force will have no impact on the battle (Heck, Voltron's Sword is big enough to be far enough away for the force to be useless)

Last edited:
To clear things up, from when I originally picked Voltron (also, the idea that Voltron is potenetially losing votes on a mis understood technicality is nuts)

Since he was created to defend the universe, he should be eligible in any form. Congrats, the pick stands and GGG is on the clock:).

The same way everyone else who defeated Vader shielded their mind from the Force... his mind control is a card trick that requires Vader look into your eyes to have work (as demonstrated by Obi Wan and Luke)... so, unless Voltron picks Vader up off the ground and hold him in front of his face, I really don't see it as a problem.
Define everyone. Luke Skywalker?

This matchup is right in the wheelhouse of Dr. Fate, our universe's magical protector. "Oh, Cthulhu's big and scary!" *Yawn* Dr. Fate saves the mortal plane from big and scary Lovecraftian beasts three times a day before lunch.

The fact that Cthulhu's ancient only means that everything about him is documented in Fate's library. Fate has a dozen spells ready for him that can banish old squidface back to from whence he came, or just blast him into a million buckets of chum.
Ah ha! The Great Cthulhu anticipated this pithless defence.

First: Cthulhu is more than a big, bumbling, terrifying-beyond-all-reason monster. His arcane and psionic powers far surpass those of a mere mortal granted abilities from a Babylonian god's artifact. In fact, his powers probably far surpass those of that same Babylonian god.

Second: Dr. Fate was cleaved of his ultra special helmet (and ultimately neutralized) by a simple minion of Parallax, Extant.

VS.

Cthulhu > Extant. It's math. Evil Math ... which is redundant.

Third: How many songs has Metallica made about the awesomeness of Dr. Fate? I bet it's two less than Cthulhu:

[yt=Metallica: Call of Ktulu]sWGOEWdV13M[/yt]

[yt=Metallica: The Thing That Should Not Be]LIj60VJQ8Wo [/yt]

Fourth: Seriously, how cool is this:

[yt=Witness Evil Incarnate]MqJ1W9rYNl8[/yt]

Your entire team "might" have put up a good fight with Cthulhu, but Dr. Fate one-on-one with "The Thing That Should Not Be" is really no contest.

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Hold on, in the write up Voltron was to be compromised of everyone else on his team. Shady goings on here...

I'll keep it simple:

TIME believes in Vader. You should too. Voltron will easily do as he's told and rip himself from limb to limb, without Vader even lifting a finger.

Last edited:
Hold on, in the write up Voltron was to be compromised of everyone else on his team. Shady goings on here...

I'll keep it simple:

Last year's Vader poster? Really. I explained the team vs. solo fight issue to death... winning on a technicallity is exactly the only way Vader wins here. Also, on the same subject, doesn't Vader need Palpatine to live? Too bad I have Palpatine...

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Jabba the hutt is another. The Force mind trick only works on the weak minded which Voltron is not.
Show me a time where Voltron defeated an enemy without the use of his sword to split them in two. He is a one-trick pony. Can't think, can't plan, can't plot.

Vader has might, brains, and evil on his side. Voltron is a transformers rip-off. Easy victory.

Show me a time where Voltron defeated an enemy without the use of his sword to split them in two. He is a one-trick pony. Can't think, can't plan, can't plot.

Vader has might, brains, and evil on his side. Voltron is a transformers rip-off. Easy victory.
1. I think I already clearly demonstrated Voltron was not a one-trick pony.
2. Transformers are a rip off of Voltron
3. If Vader is so smart, strong, and evil, why then did he turn to the light side of the force? Or let the Death Star be destroyed twice? Or Lose in all of but a handful of battles?

You have nothing. Just hype... all respirator mask, no content.

You are already winning in the voting, I would avoid comparing Vader to Voltron as much as possible at this point. Just stick with Vader's image as evil... it is all you got; Voltron would absolutely destroy Vader in battle.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
You are already winning in the voting, I would avoid comparing Vader to Voltron as much as possible at this point. Just stick with Vader's image as evil... it is all you got; Voltron would absolutely destroy Vader in battle.
You are also among the disillusioned. No worries, all will be settled. Do you seriously think Vader would just sit around and watch Voltron unite?

This is a Voltron pilot:

Let that sink in for a minute. You're talking about a lame toy vs. an icon of evil. EVIL.

You are also among the disillusioned. No worries, all will be settled. Do you seriously think Vader would just sit around and watch Voltron unite?

Let that sink in for a minute. You're talking about a lame toy vs. an icon of evil. EVIL.

Vader is the decaf of evil... Palpatine is evil, Vader is just Palpatine's dumb thug. Also, while Voltron united, what, exactly would Vader do besides poop his robo-pants and take off running?

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Vader is the decaf of evil... Palpatine is evil, Vader is just Palpatine's dumb thug. Also, while Voltron united, what, exactly would Vader do besides poop his robo-pants and take off running?
Tell me, has Voltron inspired such creativity:

[yt=Star Wars Rap]493ljyoox6o[/yt]

No. Only by the evil of the dark side, have such beats been created for our enjoyment.

Wait, is this Voltron?

Oh, it's the SDF-1. They kinda look the same, I suppose.