Thru 1 game/preseason Kings rank last in 3pt attempts. Red flag?

Buddy, Yogi, Beli, and Mason are all good 3 point shooters.

Fox is going to have to take them to open his game up. Also Giles should be shooting them as well. He is very inefficient and will be all year because of the way he plays. He has shown the ability to hit the 3 with some efficiency since summer league. I'd like to see him shoot the long ball rather than throw up garbage from the mid range. If you're going to be inefficient, you might as well be inefficient from 3 since it'll net you more points in the long run.
Totally agree about Giles. Unlike WCS, Giles should be a pick and pop for three high post big. Joerger makes him roll to the basket every time and I’m not sure he has the confidence or vertical explosion to get to the rim.

Totally agree about Giles. Unlike WCS, Giles should be a pick and pop for three high post big. Joerger makes him roll to the basket every time and I’m not sure he has the confidence or vertical explosion to get to the rim.
Yep, unfortunately the explosiveness we all saw in his high school tapes is a thing of the past. He's not nearly as big a lob target as WCS or Bagley are.

On the flip side, to make up for his lost athleticism, he does have all the makings of a guy who can fill that void with some serious skills that not a lot of other big men have. It's going to be interesting to see if he can develop those skills into becoming a legitimate starter in this league.

So keep in mind I am a fan of the changes Joerger has made as far as pace and the offense is concerned minus.......

the lack again of 3 point attempts! once again so far, we are 2nd to last in the league in 3 point shots attempted.

BUT!

we are 4th in 3pt % We have 3 players in the top right now in accuracy and Bogs is on the way. We need to learn to set these guys up more. ITS A ABSOLUTELY HUGE STRENGH AND ADVANTAGE! FREAKING USE IT!

(again I love what this team is doing right now overall theres a ton of stuff to be excited about. Joerger has shown he can change. So many of the players are taking big steps forward. BUT this needs to be fixed ASAP. We miss hitting open shooters too much, as well as not setting up shooters for more good looks)

So keep in mind I am a fan of the changes Joerger has made as far as pace and the offense is concerned minus.......

the lack again of 3 point attempts! once again so far, we are 2nd to last in the league in 3 point shots attempted.

BUT!

we are 4th in 3pt % We have 3 players in the top right now in accuracy and Bogs is on the way. We need to learn to set these guys up more. ITS A ABSOLUTELY HUGE STRENGH AND ADVANTAGE! FREAKING USE IT!

(again I love what this team is doing right now overall theres a ton of stuff to be excited about. Joerger has shown he can change. So many of the players are taking big steps forward. BUT this needs to be fixed ASAP. We miss hitting open shooters too much, as well as not setting up shooters for more good looks)
If we're not passing to open shooters then that's a problem...
But we are also 7th in 2pt%. We're opportunistic feeders, taking the path of least resistance.
With NBA teams focusing their defense on the perimeter, taking low% 3 attempts may disrupt Joerger's system.

BUT!

Joerger may very well be playing the long game with three-point attempts this season. The Kings actually aren't a great 3-point shooting team. They have a few truly exceptional shooters on the roster, and many mediocre-to-poor shooters. When Bogdanovic returns to the line-up, they'll add another great shooter to the mix, but for now, I think coach is content to find his team good looks, no matter where they come from on the floor. It's absolutely a step in the right direction after watching the Kings struggle so mightily to hunt for quality shots the last couple seasons.

They're currently top-5 in pace and top-5 in true shooting percentage, which says to me that the team is emphasizing getting better shots earlier in the shot clock. In an era of analytics, sometimes I think fans lose sight of what should be terribly obvious to any one of us. The Kings are getting more quality looks at the basket than they did last year, and nobody needs an intensive statistical analysis to tell them that more open shots = more efficient offense. It helps that Fox is coming into his own, and Bagley is performing well early in the season. Those two players are able to leverage their athleticism into converting easy shots at the rim. Neither are particularly good outside shooters yet. I'd rather the team emphasize getting Fox and Bagley to the rim until their outside shots develop enough to justify shooting more from three.

Yes, it may be difficult right now for the Kings to keep up with some teams on offense when they're scoring two points for every three the opponent puts on the scoreboard, but it's a process. After the last two seasons and this year's preseason, I certainly wasn't expecting to see the Kings up the pace so dramatically and score as efficiently as they have, especially against playoff-quality teams on the road. Simply shooting more three's doesn't make for better or more efficient offense. They're on the right track given the state of the contemporary NBA, and I'd guess that the three's will come as the core young guys develop into more consistent outside shooters.

Joerger mentioned in the post game last night that some of the players passed up open 3s to drive to the basket and that was something that they would be trying to correct. I didn't see the whole game, but I remember Mason and I think Hield pass up 3s to drive.

Joerger mentioned in the post game last night that some of the players passed up open 3s to drive to the basket and that was something that they would be trying to correct. I didn't see the whole game, but I remember Mason and I think Hield pass up 3s to drive.
It can be infuriating because the system doesn't get them many wide open looks and then to see two guys who are shooting 48% and 63% from 3 pump fake and drive when they get set up for open looks....it just drives me crazy.

For me the issue is 3 players: Fox, Bagley and WCS. Fox can be spotty as he did a good job of finding 3 point shooters against OKC but a poor job against Memphis.

All three of them are good enough to create havoc in the paint. WCS has improved his post game, Bagley looks almost unstoppable and Fox can drive into the lane against most teams. All of them have had multiple instances of forcing shots in the paint (outside the restricted area) against 3 or 4 defenders while shooters like Buddy and Beli stood alone at the 3 point line. If you don’t believe me rewatch the game and count them for yourself.

* in the case of Fox, I hope he watches how players like Westbrook and Lilliard has mostly failed to get past the first round. Fox has the talent to lead this team deep in the playoffs but we have to see improvement this year.

* in the case of Bagley, I think he will get there. His AAU career was mostly spent on a mid tier team coached by his dad where he was the guy.

* WCS is kinda who he is at this point. Unfortunately in a league filled with shooters, coaches see his unwillingness to kick the ball out. I heard it from VanGundy. I heard it from the Boston broadcasters when I watched the game in Boston. I’m not sure Willie gets paid his potential worth due to it ( kinda like Randall) but perhaps that’s a good thing for us.