Thru 1 game/preseason Kings rank last in 3pt attempts. Red flag?

All off season long the mantra was more threes! faster pace! etc all the things coach Joerger has been known for! Lol!

We were the 3rd most accurate 3pt shooting team last year. One really obvious improvement needed was “SHOOT MORE OF THEM!”

This isn’t gonna cut it.

Good news pace was way up! (again thru one game. Preseason we were 12th) So maybe Joerger could be sorta getting it finally that this isn’t Memphis anymore.

Either way thru all of last year, this preseason, and yes 1 game we are last again in 3pt shots taken.

Side note: we did shoot more 3’s than the New Zealand breakers, Sydney kings, Beijing ducks, Shanghai sharks, and Haifa Maccabi Haifa!!!
Also Cavs, Lakers,Spurs,knicks. So technically we finished 31 out of 40 lol!!!

This doesn't bother me at all. The Jazz defensive philosophy is to run shooters off the 3 point line and force them to drive into Gobert. Looks like a great adjustment by the coaching staff after the preseason game to identify the weakness of the Jazz defense being mid range shots. Players last night looked like they knew that they could get their pull ups and floaters off. Of course that's exactly what they want, but it's better than what we saw in preseason and a little better execution and they could have pulled it off

This doesn't bother me at all. The Jazz defensive philosophy is to run shooters off the 3 point line and force them to drive into Gobert. Looks like a great adjustment by the coaching staff after the preseason game to identify the weakness of the Jazz defense being mid range shots. Players last night looked like they knew that they could get their pull ups and floaters off. Of course that's exactly what they want, but it's better than what we saw in preseason and a little better execution and they could have pulled it off
so what about us shooting less 3's than the Beijing ducks? or all preseason against lesser talent. lol! or all of the other 29 teams last year. I mean I hear you. The Jazz were the #1 defensive team last year. I expected them to make it tough but us not shooting 3's is a huge issue in today game. Especially give were good at it. As im pointing out its been one game but, given the streak of high post paint stuff for Joergers entire career. I have to say its worrisome.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think this is something that does need to be addressed but I will concede without Bogdan the team isn't left with many true 3 point threats other than Buddy although Mason and Yogi can hit them as well. Bjelica gives them another weapon and I think Joerger has time to see what happens. If he sticks to mid range shots for too long it will become apparent that it's a stumbling block.

LMAO at people continually crying about 3 points attempts not only after 1 freaking game but a game that was decided by FT attempts. Lack of 3 point attempts had nothing to do with it.

And someone correctly pointed out how last night’s game plan worked much better than in preseason. Yet some people are still howling at the moon. Go figure.

I think this is something that does need to be addressed but I will concede without Bogdan the team isn't left with many true 3 point threats other than Buddy although Mason and Yogi can hit them as well. Bjelica gives them another weapon and I think Joerger has time to see what happens. If he sticks to mid range shots for too long it will become apparent that it's a stumbling block.
Wait what? Are you kidding me? Beli, Yogi, Buddy and Mason all shot the three.

LMAO at people continually crying about 3 points attempts not only after 1 freaking game but a game that was decided by FT attempts. Lack of 3 point attempts had nothing to do with it.

And someone correctly pointed out how last night’s game plan worked much better than in preseason. Yet some people are still howling at the moon. Go figure.

How is this a real take?

We attempted 8 less 3s and made 6 less 3s than the Jazz did on the night. It's not the only reason we lost, but that big of a discrepancy in 3pt shooting is a huge, huge deal. Just the pure math and 2 pt FG% boost you need to keep pace offensively with the other team if we continuously put ourselves in that big of a hole makes it significantly harder for us to win games. And it's going to be difficult enough as it is.

Wait what? Are you kidding me? Beli, Yogi, Buddy and Mason all shot the three.
"...although Mason and Yogi can hit them as well. Bjelica gives them another weapon"

They aren't on the same level as Buddy and Bogdan. The issue is that two of them are smallish PG's and I think Buddy and Bogdan represent to the two main threats from 3. Bjelica I'm sure will get more attempts but so far in his career he's averaging 2.5 attempts in 20 mpg. Not a true volume guy even though he might be able to become one.

How is this a real take?

We attempted 8 less 3s and made 6 less 3s than the Jazz did on the night. It's not the only reason we lost, but that big of a discrepancy in 3pt shooting is a huge, huge deal. Just the pure math and 2 pt FG% boost you need to keep pace offensively with the other team if we continuously put ourselves in that big of a hole makes it significantly harder for us to win games. And it's going to be difficult enough as it is.
And how is this a real take?

Once again, in this one game, it DID NOT MATTER that the Kings made 6 less threes. Because they made 8 more FG's overall. Which means they were +10 with all FG's being counted. So they win, right?

But oh no -- they then had to factor in the +16 FT's made by the JAZZ. And then they lose. That's the real source of the 6 point difference.

IDK what's not to understand here. Furthermore, you are then using this one game to establish an average or norm when it was, in fact, just one game.

Sure, if the Kings make 6 less three's every single game, they'll have to make up the difference elsewhere. On opening night it was via 2-pt FG's but could also be accomplished by drawing more fouls and shooting more FT's by attacking the rim more frequently than their opponents. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

But just as there's no guarantee the Kings will be able to make more 2's and/or shoot more FT's than their opponents, there's no guarantee that their opponents will consistently take and make that many more three's (well, ok, we know GSW and HOU will ;)).

The main point is that using this one game to draw conclusions is ridiculous. I mean, if that's what we're doing than I suppose those buying into that notion have no choice to but to also believe FOX and TRILL are going to average 21 and 23 points respectively for the season, right? And that the Kings, as a team, are going to average 117 ppg and shoot over 51%, right?

Let's keep some perspective here. Just like FOX, TRILL's and the teams scoring numbers, all of these statistics will ebb and flow from game to game. So how about we re-visit the topic with 10-15 games under the teams belt? Wouldn't that be a better sample size to determine (1) if there is indeed a 3pt shooting discrepancy issue going on and (2) whether the Kings ability to make up the difference is sustainable?

Once again, in this one game, it DID NOT MATTER that the Kings made 6 less threes. Because they made 8 more FG's overall. Which means they were +10 with all FG's being counted. So they win, right?

But oh no -- they then had to factor in the +16 FT's made by the JAZZ. And then they lose. That's the real source of the 6 point difference.

IDK what's not to understand here. Furthermore, you are then using this one game to establish an average or norm when it was, in fact, just one game.

Sure, if the Kings make 6 less three's every single game, they'll have to make up the difference elsewhere. On opening night it was via 2-pt FG's but could also be accomplished by drawing more fouls and shooting more FT's by attacking the rim more frequently than their opponents. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

But just as there's no guarantee the Kings will be able to make more 2's and/or shoot more FT's than their opponents, there's no guarantee that their opponents will consistently take and make that many more three's (well, ok, we know GSW and HOU will ;)).

The main point is that using this one game to draw conclusions is ridiculous. I mean, if that's what we're doing than I suppose those buying into that notion have no choice to but to also believe FOX and TRILL are going to average 21 and 23 points respectively for the season, right? And that the Kings, as a team, are going to average 117 ppg and shoot over 51%, right?

Let's keep some perspective here. Just like FOX, TRILL's and the teams scoring numbers, all of these statistics will ebb and flow from game to game. So how about we re-visit the topic with 10-15 games under the teams belt? Wouldn't that be a better sample size to determine (1) if there is indeed a 3pt shooting discrepancy issue going on and (2) whether the Kings ability to make up the difference is sustainable?
I think he added the entire preseason and the 1 regular season game. So saying his point is based on one game is inaccurate.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They need Bogs back for 3 pointers. Gabriel is a good outside shooter. I want him playing - soon! I'd like to eventually see a lineup of Bjelica (5), Gabriel (4), Bogs (3), Hield (2) and Fox (1). Such a lineup wouldn't be as good defensively as other lineups, but it certainly would spread the floor for Fox.

are you kidding? a few people including yourself wanna take shots at me for overreacting? ok or just smart jokes. But seriously, thru ALL OF FREAKING LAST YEAR PEOPLE! THATS 82 GAMES, then all of this preseason, and YES after one game we are last again.

19 attempts is not even close to the top or even the middle in context. We were the 3rd best 3pt shooting team in the league last year. Im sorry but I don't cut Joerger any slack even after one game for not taking advantage of one of the few strengths this team currently has. Unacceptable. With a PG like Fox you can't drive and kick? with some of the other speed we can't drive and kick? instead Joerger has us swinging the ball around thru the bigs a lot of the time.

This thread was intended to be continued btw, as more games unfold. Im just pointing out its not just 1 game of evidence here guys.

What bugs me is Buddy. He should be letting it fly 8+ times every night. As nice as his little mid range game looked, it took him 18 shots to score 19. He has to hit 60% of his 2's to make up for not shooting threes.

If they're not going to shoot 3s, then attack the basket. Long 2's should be the last resort, or else you end up with zero free throws too.

This thread was intended to be continued btw, as more games unfold. ...
The Kings need to do better shooting 3's this year. I don't think there's anyone here who will disagree with that. The thread title, however, specifically talked about 1 game. Since we've had a number of people here who were making grand proclamations about the team and various players before they'd even played a game, the thread title makes you sound like one of them.

Wait a sec, Wednesday you told me "The JAZZ were +6 from the 3 pt line. But the Kings were +16 from inside the arc because they made 8 more FG's overall".
But its actually +18 from the 3 pt line??
That's huge and totally backed up my eyeball test! Anyways, ur still right about the FT discrepancy being a major factor. I think the Jazz have excellent 3 pt D and Gobert, making it hard to hit 3s and get fouls. They wanted us to shoot perimeter 2s, which is exactly what we did and we lost. We need to figure this out so we can keep up with the Jonses. This doesnt mean we aren't a 3 point shooting team, but the Jazz can stop us when we are playing really well by taking the 3 away, and other teams will do the same until we can pass better.
So I guess the issue then is not our lack of searching for 3s, it's the lack of team chemistry and offensive sets, which is exactly what Joerger has been saying.

The Kings need to do better shooting 3's this year. I don't think there's anyone here who will disagree with that. The thread title, however, specifically talked about 1 game. Since we've had a number of people here who were making grand proclamations about the team and various players before they'd even played a game, the thread title makes you sound like one of them.
I also included a "?" and went on to include more evidence to why it could be a bad sign

Wait a sec, Wednesday you told me "The JAZZ were +6 from the 3 pt line. But the Kings were +16 from inside the arc because they made 8 more FG's overall".
But its actually +18 from the 3 pt line??
That's huge and totally backed up my eyeball test!.
No, no, no. You’re doing math incorrectly. It’s only +6.

If both teams make the same amount of FG’s (total of 2s and 3s) then the team making 6 more 3s would net 6 more points.

For example, 20 FG’s that are all 2s and no 3s is 40 points. 20 FG’s with 6 of them being 3s is 46 points. Or +6.

But the Kings made 8 more FG’s overall which gave them +16. When combined with the +6 advantage the Jazz had from 3, the Kings were still +10. It was the FTM that did them in.

You’re giving the Jazz +3 for every three made when it is only a +1 advantage over a 2 pt FG.

I think he added the entire preseason and the 1 regular season game. So saying his point is based on one game is inaccurate.
He replied to me and my comments. I mentioned nothing about preseason. Preseason wasn’t part of the discussion. The people I responded to were freaking out over this one game. A game that wasn’t even decided by the 3 point line.

Factoring in preseason is nonsensical IMO. Lots of rotations and players that don’t play much if at all during the regular season. Lots of experimentation.

As I said before, let’s revisit 10-15 games into the regular season and see what’s what.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A little snarky and not the least bit fair. The data he presented was all of preseason and the first game. On top of a demonstrated problem from last year the Kings haven’t shown much improvement.

Maybe the return of Bogdan will help but these team needs to attempt more threes.
Snarky and not fair? Oh please. He's asking if it's a "red flag" after the pre-season and 1 game. UYou honestly don't think that's a tad premature? Seriously?

ONE. GAME. And that one without Bogs.

There are a few posters who seem to delight in jumping to conclusions at the drop of a hat. If they're gonna do that, they've got to expect reactions. If a picture of Chicken Little is snarky and not the least bit fair, they might need to find a kinder more gentler board.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
are you kidding? a few people including yourself wanna take shots at me for overreacting? ok or just smart jokes. But seriously, thru ALL OF FREAKING LAST YEAR PEOPLE! THATS 82 GAMES, then all of this preseason, and YES after one game we are last again.

19 attempts is not even close to the top or even the middle in context. We were the 3rd best 3pt shooting team in the league last year. Im sorry but I don't cut Joerger any slack even after one game for not taking advantage of one of the few strengths this team currently has. Unacceptable. With a PG like Fox you can't drive and kick? with some of the other speed we can't drive and kick? instead Joerger has us swinging the ball around thru the bigs a lot of the time.

This thread was intended to be continued btw, as more games unfold. Im just pointing out its not just 1 game of evidence here guys.
It was a picture of Chicken Little and a piece of sky. That wasn't me taking a shot at you. Honest.

Now you're going to talk about last year when we've had a significant turnover in personnel since then? I don't care if you cut Joerger any slack or not. I think you're over-reacting based on way too little data. It's a long season. You need to pace yourself or you'll burn out log before the end of the calendar year

Remember, the Kings were one of the worst 2 point shooting teams last year and took the most 2 point shots.

The Kings were one of the best 3 point shooting teams and took the least amount of 3 point shots.

This isn't about one game. It's about a coach's philosophy.