This year could be the year.

VF21 said:
There's room for the very positive and the very critical. It's not like we're sitting down with the players and criticizing them. We're discussing their strengths and weaknesses - sometimes ad nauseum - because that's what message boards are all about.

There are all types of fans. And sometimes there's a big difference in a single fan - depending on what has happened recently. I can speak to that from personal experience. ;)

"Love your team for who they are and if you don't, find another team" may work for you. It won't work for a message board. If everyone is all happy and content all the time, then people have nothing to talk about. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...and then stuffed it in the back of the drawer and forgot about it.

:D

It takes all kinds to make a world...and a successful message board.
understand that completely:) and talking about strengths and weaknesses is one thing, but there really are some with nothing positive to say ever and it really is hard for me to imagine them being a fan. It's like why do watch them if it bothers you so much? Anyway, I'm done.:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SDKing said:
understand that completely:) and talking about strengths and weaknesses is one thing, but there really are some with nothing positive to say ever and it really is hard for me to imagine them being a fan. It's like why do watch them if it bothers you so much? Anyway, I'm done.:)
I had a co-worker like that once. She wasn't happy unless she was miserable. Give her something to gripe about, something that wasn't okay, and she was happy as a clam. If, on the other hand, everything was going well, she was miserable and made sure everyone else around her was, too. Ironically - or somewhat predictably - she was a Cubs fan. :D

VF21 said:
I had a co-worker like that once. She wasn't happy unless she was miserable. Give her something to gripe about, something that wasn't okay, and she was happy as a clam. If, on the other hand, everything was going well, she was miserable and made sure everyone else around her was, too. Ironically - or somewhat predictably - she was a Cubs fan. :D
I work with someone like that. It's not a fun thing.

Jeez brick your the ultimate downer lol, I agree with you that were just one major move from being a true contender but come on think a little positive, this is a good lineup, that can score and play SOME defense (very little though ill admit that). I agree the kings of years past had guys like scot pollard that knew there roles, and were getting there. We have Brian Skinner, no offense really but he knows his role and grabs boards, its guys like kenny thomas that could definately keep us back with him complaining about not starting. Even with him are there any other true contenders in the west besides San Antonio? nope so we definately have a shot of going deep in the playoffs and who knows what happens from there.

if duncan is able to play, i seriously doubt the kings can even get out of the west, let alone try to beat miami or detroit.

i think the kings will be improved, get out of the first round this year, possibly make in the WCF if everything goes alright, but i just don't think this team has what it takes to beat the spurs. the kings certainly have a lot of talent, but most of it is on the offensive end, and they need to be able to play well on both ends of the floor to win it all. not to mention rebound.

that and we need a healthy team come playoff time. fully healthy, not just coming off injuries, that sort of thing.

either way, i'm so pumped for this season to come!!!!! it's going to be an exciting year, that is for sure.

GO KINGS!

I don't know how everyone can say how this team is not going to be as good a passing team as the other one. This team has yet to play one min. and already people are saying that this team isn't even made to contend for a title. If that is the case, why even play? I think that the team is going to surpirse a lot of people this year, including a lot of people on this board. If you go into the season thinking that the team isn't even made to contend, then what to the players have to play for? I for one think that the Kings have a much better team, if not different, team then the year just ended.

I look for this team to do big things this year and to surpirse a lot of people.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KingsFan54 said:
I don't know how everyone can say how this team is not going to be as good a passing team as the other one.

Some of us have watched these players play, even before they hit the Kings. And watched our former Kings play before and after they were with the Kings. There is NO comparison when it comes to passing or unselfishness.

KingsFan54 said:
This team has yet to play one min. and already people are saying that this team isn't even made to contend for a title. If that is the case, why even play?

Oddly, most of the teams in the league are in that boat every year, and yet somehow they soldier on and actually play the games anyway. Not every team is a title contender. Most are not in fact. Including us. And to determine that it is no more complex than looking at the teams that do win titles over the years, looking at the ones who don't, and then determining which one we look like. That would be the second group.

KingsFan54 said:
I think that the team is going to surpirse a lot of people this year, including a lot of people on this board.

You're entitled to think whatever you would like.

KingsFan54 said:
If you go into the season thinking that the team isn't even made to contend, then what to the players have to play for?

So far as I know, not a single one of us is a player for the Kings.

KingsFan54 said:
I for one think that the Kings have a much better team, if not different, team then the year just ended.

Again you're entitled to think whatever you would like.

KingsFan54 said:
I look for this team to do big things this year and to surpirse a lot of people
KingsFan54 said:
Whether you are going to be disappointed or not largely depends on how you define "big things". If big things = a title, prepare to be disappointed. If "big things" means win 50 games, that seems very possible and even probable unless we run into major problems.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
er...no. And not even a very close no. Hope springs eternal and all that. But hoping too hard crosses the line into delusion sometimes. I'm not even sure this team is INTENDED to be a title contender, but rather just an in between stage.

I think if we were younger, and coming off a long stretch of bad years, that we could get some attention just on the new kid on the block theory. But as it is, the all offense no defense thing is old news with us, these players are well known, and people are going to be onto us from the very beginning of the year. Nor does our new scoring attack promise to have anywhere near the unique freeflowing ballhandling/passing beauty of the last one. People hadn't seen that before, or since. The new attack is going to be a much more standard one with a bunch of guys who are shooter/scorers first, not passers. They'll all be looking for their own shot. We'll score a lot, but there will be more quick shots, more isos, less rapid ball movement.

We might win the Pacific, we might not. We might make the 2nd round, we might not. But those things are in many ways more dependant on other teams than on us, and of all the 2nd round type teams out there we would be one of the LEAST dangerouos to go all the way. As currently constructed we violate nearly every single rule of "How to Win a Championship 101" -- no superstar, no defense, questionable boardwork, haven't played together etc.
I don't think it's a delusion to say that the Kings could possibly win the championship this year or in the next few years. As NoBonus said, it would be a major upset, and I think anyone arguing that it's likely that the Kings will win the Big One is deluding themselves, but I see no reason to dampen the optimism that has returned to Kingsland with the Wells trade and the SAR signing. I think it's fair to label the Kings "contenders" as in, it's possible, however slim the odds, that they could win the championship.

Here are five reasons to look on the bright side:

1) We've never seen an injury-free Kings team in the playoffs, so we really have no idea what even the current roster is capable of achieving.

Think about this! Most teams go into the playoffs with all of their players intact. Not the Kings. Last year's Seattle meltdown was made possible by the fact that the Kings had an entirely new roster that hadn't gelled, and Bobby Jackson and Brad Miller were coming off major injuries. Who knows what this team is capable of.

2) We've never seen a Kings team with dynamic scorers at all five positions.

This Kings team is going to be fun to watch, and they're going to know how to put the ball in the hoop. All five starters are capable of scoring 30+ points on any given night. What other team in the league can say that?! Assuming the ball keeps moving, they're going to be very, very difficult to outscore, which, last time I checked, is the key to winning basketball games.

3) The Spurs were the most underwhelming championship team since, well, the Spurs in the lockout-shortened year.

Is it just me or do the Spurs always look like a team that always seems on the verge of choking every game and every series away? When Tim Duncan gets that look on his face when he's shooting free throws like, as the Sports Guy said, he doesn't know if the next free throw is going to hit the rim? Sure, they won the big one, but they didn't exactly look dominant in doing so. They still have a point guard liable to turn in miserable games, and basically depend on two players for the vast majority of their offense. If Ginobli or Duncan have an off-night, it's curtains for the Spurs (granted, that doesn't happen very often, but go with me on this one)

4) Quick, name a Western Conference team that has improved itself thus far in the offseason.......

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Maybe the Spurs if (big if) Oberto pans out? The Rockets, if Swift pans out? Anyone else? Oh yeah. The KINGS.

5) Shaq is 33. Larry Brown isn't coaching the Pistons anymore. The Pacers don't have Reggie Miller or a dependable point guard. Jason Kidd hasn't looked the same since knee surgery.

The Eastern Conference teams look pretty great on paper. But they also have some pretty noticeable chinks in their armor. A team that makes it through the Western Conference is going to have a very very good chance against the East.

So there you have it. Are there also a million reasons why the Kings won't win the championship? Of course there are!! But NoBonus started this thread to express optimism about the current Kings team, and I for one am very excited and optimistic.

No one can say with any certainty what will happen next year. And until the Kings are eliminated, it's still possible that they'll win the championship.

Last edited:
VF21 said:

Well I have never felt I have been a miserable fan
And I am a Cubs Fan and a Bears Fan

When I was a young boy, Ernie Banks, Ron Santos, Fergy were my childhood heros, yeah was tough when the Miracle Mets kicked us out of the playoffs
but have many HAPPY memories watching afternoon games on WGN in the Summer

When the 85 Bears kicked everyones *** Yeah I was on Cloud nine, even have a Jimmy Mac signed football, Yeah i still head to the Pub every Sunday morning to see the Bears Play. Hey our first string Qback just broke his leg in Preseason (Rex Grossman) and I havent been been crying over everyone's desk at work.

But all that aside, I have loved being a Kings fan, did not feel like I was miserable when watching my team when they couldn't win 30 games a year,
Loved watching Mitch Richmond sink the three or drive to the basket for a foul.

Being a big fan of "your" team even when they are losing, does not mean you love misery, I feel it shows how much you love the Game, your Character, your Loyalty. It shows that you are really an Upbeat person that sees the good in all things.

As for your friend, there are people that love misery, cant be happy without having something to ***** about, love to make everyone miserable around them. But these Character flaws have nothing to do with being a Cubs Fan.

Sure I have loved the Kings when they were the darlings of the NBA, we had a great starting five, a deep talented bench, but as our new group of Kings evolve I have nothing but optimism that our new starting five can play as a team, put up big numbers. I feel our Philly three, while not starters, help make up a deep, experienced bench that can score KT will bring scoring to the second unit, Kevin Martin could have a breakout year, Skinner really impressed me big time with his energy, blocks, rebounding (before his thumbs got jammed), Corliss is a tough guy, and in limited minutes behing Peja will be fine, will have to wait and see about Jason Hart have not seen him play much.

Whether I warm up to this unit will depend on how they play as a team, you earn my fan loyalty thru your actions on the court, how much heart you have when things go bad. (Doug Christie coming back with a bad ankle in the Dallas Series comes to mind) Shareef and Bonzi have something to prove, Peja in contract year, yeah baby we have some motivated players. Yeah this could be an awesome year, or could be a disaster. But the possibilities are out there, I feel this lineup has the potential to compete with any of the "Elite" teams.

Keep the Faith Baby!!!!

GO KINGS!!

Every year we CAN win it all but will we? I don't have my crystal ball but I'd like to wait and see how our new players perform before I start planning the parade. Unless Duncan and Ginobli get hurt, it's unlikely but I'm still hoping.
I just hope we play well and avoid the injuries that plague us at this point.

T

thesanityannex

nbrans said:
I don't think it's a delusion to say that the Kings could possibly win the championship this year or in the next few years. As NoBonus said, it would be a major upset, and I think anyone arguing that it's likely that the Kings will win the Big One is deluding themselves, but I see no reason to dampen the optimism that has returned to Kingsland with the Wells trade and the SAR signing. I think it's fair to label the Kings "contenders" as in, it's possible, however slim the odds, that they could win the championship.

1) We've never seen an injury-free Kings team in the playoffs, so we really have no idea what even the current roster is capable of achieving.

Think about this! Most teams go into the playoffs with all of their players intact. Not the Kings. Last year's Seattle meltdown was made possible by the fact that the Kings had an entirely new roster that hadn't gelled, and Bobby Jackson and Brad Miller were coming off major injuries. Who knows what this team is capable of.

This Kings team is going to be fun to watch, and they're going to know how to put the ball in the hoop. All five starters are capable of scoring 30+ points on any given night. What other team in the league can say that?! Assuming the ball keeps moving, they're going to be very, very difficult to outscore, which, last time I checked, is the key to winning basketball games.

3) The Spurs were the most underwhelming championship team since, well, the Spurs in the lockout-shortened year.

Is it just me or do the Spurs always look like a team that always seems on the verge of choking every game and every series away? When Tim Duncan gets that look on his face when he's shooting free throws like, as the Sports Guy said, he doesn't know if the next free throw is going to hit the rim? Sure, they won the big one, but they didn't exactly look dominant in doing so. They still have a point guard liable to turn in miserable games, and basically depend on two players for the vast majority of their offense. If Ginobli or Duncan have an off-night, it's curtains for the Spurs (granted, that doesn't happen very often, but go with me on this one)

4) Quick, name a Western Conference team that has improved itself thus far in the offseason.......

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Maybe the Spurs if (big if) Oberto pans out? The Rockets, if Swift pans out? Anyone else? Oh yeah. The KINGS.

5) Shaq is 33. Larry Brown isn't coaching the Pistons anymore. The Pacers don't have Reggie Miller or a dependable point guard. Jason Kidd hasn't looked the same since knee surgery.

The Eastern Conference teams look pretty great on paper. But they also have some pretty noticeable chinks in their armor. A team that makes it through the Western Conference is going to have a very very good chance against the East.

So there you have it. Are there also a million reasons why the Kings won't win the championship? Of course there are!! But NoBonus started this thread to express optimism about the current Kings team, and I for one am very excited and optimistic.

No one can say with any certainty what will happen next year. And until the Kings are eliminated, it's still possible that they'll win the championship.
Cloud 9 is where I reside as well. Didn't know you lived here too. :)

Still think were a 6th man away from being a tick away from the WCF and giving the Spurs all they can handle. The Spurs are due a injury season. They've lucked out so far with "Serious" injuries. Also the Suns last season were lucky not counting the minor injury to Nash after the all-star break. To be honest, Im glad we got rid of the injury plagued players. We only have one (brad miller) from last season, but he was pretty much injury free until that practice mishap. Bonzi and SAR were injury free pretty much throught their careers, plus we have young guys manning the bench. So cross your fingers guys, and hope for once, we can have 100% of the team come playoff time.

Sorry, Brick.

Actually, your post inspired me to finally register. I've been reading this message board for a little over two years.

Anyways, I respectfully disagree with your assessment regarding the Kings being championship contenders, and here's why. Two years ago after we were bounced from the playoffs by the Timberwolves, I seem to recall EVERYONE saying that we were not in the same class as them. They proceeded to have a major melt down and became one of the more disappointing teams last year.

Now I admit that it's unlikely that the Spurs will have a similar melt down, but if I told you that the Spurs were going to become a mediocre/borderline playoff team next year, would you think the Kings have a good chance at becoming the West's Finals representative?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
a) not sure who "everybody" was but I would have thought that after that playoff series vs. Minnesota that it was quite obvious that we were VERY MUCH in their class. But that's beside the point.

b) the chances of San Antonio imploding are somewhere south of subzero. As tight and steady as any team in the league and with very little turnover.

c) those things out of the way: no. Unless somehow Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and Denver also simultaneously implode. We might have A chance. Maybe -- depends on none of the above teams taking a step forward this year, and then a series of tight series where we win the big games (yeah, right). But a "good chance"? No. We aren't the best of the rest. Nor even the best of the rest of the rest. Five teams ahead of us in the pecking order in our own conference. Three more at least in the East. There just aren't enough Sprees and Cassels around to scuttle that many teams for us. In fact, we actually have our own scuttler on board now in Bonzi. I think we should win 50-55 and get bounced in the second round, but I am more worried about US imploding with a known cancer, a lame duck coach, guys unhappy with their roles and shots, guys playing for themselves for new contracts etc. than I am about us vaulting over 1/4 of the league to get a title.

I'm optimistic about Kings chances this year. It's been a tougher transition time ever since we dumped Webber's contract, but the things are looking better and better. Offensively, this is the most talented AND versatile team we have ever head. Bonzi in the post should help spread the things around a little bit for Pedja and Bibby, and SAR is a good team player. In terms of moving the ball on offense, losing Jackson or Mobley won't hurt us at all, cause they were pretty much one man offenses, chucking every ball that falls into their hands.

What I like best about the start of a new season is that nobody REALLY knows what is going to happen. You never know which team is going to explode and have a stellar year or implode for the worst season ever. Kind of exciting to watch it all unfold.

As far as our chances, here's my ground breaking prediction . . .

WE WILL WIN IT ALL- OR NOT.

Bricklayer said:
As currently constructed we violate nearly every single rule of "How to Win a Championship 101" -- no superstar, no defense, questionable boardwork, haven't played together etc.
Dead on.

If we go with what we have now (and hopefully ONE more move is left to be made), it would take an unlikely aligning of the planets for the Kings to advance far this coming season. And since the "yellow rain" has been falling on Arco for quite a while now, I don't expect it to let up enough in 05-06 to allow our boys to mimic what the Pistons did a couple years ago.

But since it's always "possible", the upcoming season will be most interesting.

Entity

Hall of Famer
How is Phoenix and Dallas ahead of us. They don't play defense either and Dirk is everything a PF is not. Sure we don't have the locker room presence of Vlade. We don't have the savy of Webber and we don't have the court vision and passing ability of Christie. but we didn't get a championship then either. when i saw you put Denver in the mix ahead of us i choked a little bit. I won't say we are better but i will say we are as good as Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix. San Antonio is a different story. To say we are one move away from being contenders baffles me unless you consider beating SA contenders in which case 29 other teams aren't contenders either. To knock on the big men saying we need post game and shot blocking and all that really doesn't bode to well for KG who is the best PF in the NBA and didn't make the playoffs last year with the same team that made it the WCF the year before. EEhh anyway I just hate that I am arguing with kings fans about our team and the laker fans at work think we have a good chance. I sucks to tell a kings fan at the end of the year I told you so.

Entity said:
EEhh anyway I just hate that I am arguing with kings fans about our team and the laker fans at work think we have a good chance.
I know what you mean. It's crazy. Just today a co-worker said that it looks like the Kings (He knows I'm a huge fan) are going to have a pretty good team this year. If found myself saying, "I don't know . . . we'll see."

I know that it is best not to expect too much right now, but I think I much prefer hoping that we have a shot. I know for SURE that I am ready for the season to begin to see what we actually look like!!

Also, I am just curious. People keep saying that we need to make one more move. What (I guess I should say who) should it be, realistically?

Entity

Hall of Famer
chelle said:
I know what you mean. It's crazy. Just today a co-worker said that it looks like the Kings (He knows I'm a huge fan) are going to have a pretty good team this year. If found myself saying, "I don't know . . . we'll see."

I know that it is best not to expect too much right now, but I think I much prefer hoping that we have a shot. I know for SURE that I am ready for the season to begin to see what we actually look like!!

Also, I am just curious. People keep saying that we need to make one more move. What (I guess I should say who) should it be, realistically?
yeah they find it very easy to say that. But never seem to say that one move. You can propose trades but they are shot to hell because "that team will never do that" So that one more move must be some celestial being that drops from space or something.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Riiiiight... I tell you what, shipmate, you go ahead and hold your breath while you wait on that to happen...
I woudln't be too surprised if he averages 23+ ppg this season, and that's only because the Kings will share the ball more since we got more firepower. On a weaker team, that looks for him continuously, he can average 25 ppg if he tries.

1kingzfan said:
If we go with what we have now (and hopefully ONE more move is left to be
I'm sorry, what is this "one more move" that people think/expect to happen? I would rather have 5 above average starters and a kick *** bench than 2 and a super star.

Edit: sorry chelle didn't see you said the same thing ;)

sloter said:
I'm optimistic about Kings chances this year. It's been a tougher transition time ever since we dumped Webber's contract, but the things are looking better and better. Offensively, this is the most talented AND versatile team we have ever head. Bonzi in the post should help spread the things around a little bit for Pedja and Bibby, and SAR is a good team player. In terms of moving the ball on offense, losing Jackson or Mobley won't hurt us at all, cause they were pretty much one man offenses, chucking every ball that falls into their hands.
I do agree this team is shaping up to be fun to watch....offensively. How quickly we seem to have forgotten that the achilles heel of this team is defense.

nbrans said:

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Good Post. Just to add to it, all our current players (atleast the one's that should see significant PT) are all in their prime. Bibby, Bonzi, Peja, SAR, Brad, KT, Hart, Skinner are all between the ages of 27-30. Corliss is bit over his prime at 32 but these guys are all experienced and hungry, with something to prove.

SAR has never been on a winning team, he'll be eager to prove that he's a valuable asset to a winning cause. Peja is in his contract year, and there should be no more distractions, he wnats to prove he's more than one dimensional. Bibby will prove that he can lead a team, he did it in college and took them all the way. Bonzi, wants to prove that all those extra mins will not go to waste. Brad wants to prove that he's no pushover, you come into the paint and expect to get pummeled. All these guys know that they are just a few years away from being on the decline. Now is their time, opportunities and lineups like these happen only so often.