This month in Kings history

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12054065p-12924168c.html

This month in Kings history

Jan. 9, 1987

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Sunday, January 16, 2005

When some of the Kings were jarred awake by the turbulence, they feared a wet demise. One wing of their Eastern Airlines jet that had them nervously approaching National (now Ronald Reagan) Airport in Washington, D.C., for an East Coast swing tipped and nearly grazed the waters of the Potomac. A gust of wind had turned the plane on that angle. It was barely five feet above the frigid river.

"It was the worst flight you could imagine," Kings rookie Johnny Rogers said then, his Ronald McDonald red hair nearly taking on some serious gray. "When (the pilot) adjusted, the other (wing) dipped, too."

The pilot was able to land on his second approach, albeit making for one bumpy ride and landing.

"I was half asleep and heard everyone talking," Kings guard Reggie Theus said. "I didn't open my eyes and look because I knew if we hit water, I'd know soon enough."

Kings guard Derek Smith said teammate Terry Tyler "looked back at me with his eyes bugged up like half-dollars."

Jerry Reynolds, a Kings assistant coach then, and trainer Bill Jones were able to make light of the situation.

"(The pilot) was just trying some innovative ways of landing," Reynolds said. "I figured the way the year was going, we were going to die. This was it. I had the flotation cushions ready. ... It was pretty shaky. Hell, it brought color to Jonesy's face."

Said Jones, "I guess he didn't read all the instructions on how to land. He probably just thumbed through it."

[/font]