This loss is on Adelman

W

West_Gunslinger16

KingCookie said:
And unless Brad plays his *** off the rest of this series, I will not shed a tear if he's in a different uniform come next year. I'm sick of watching him play like he's a paper doll.
The 'paper dolls' might sue you of what you're saying. In their defense, "we can do layup drills with him inside!". You are hurting the feelings of the paper dolls.

1 play summed up Brad's whole series....if anyone remembers....
I believe a Spur got a hand on an entry pass to Brad so the ball was knocked off line toward the sideline...he stood there and looked at it while BIG SHOT BOB Horry ran passed him and dove out of bounds, and landed on some ladies purse to save the ball....:eek: Brad stood there and WATCHED! :mad:
I am not bashing, but I have said all year...the Kings go as Brad goes..when he is hustling, rebounding, acting like he's AWAKE we are pretty tought to beat. Also..this may be an unpopular opinion, but last night I felt we started going too 1 dimensional because Bonzi was hot...it basically became "Pass to Bonzi and watch", then it's pass to Ron and watch...we still need to move the ball, pass, cut...and Mike needs to get his shots (good looks) as well...we had 2 great comebacks after being down double digits, but that's tough to do on the road when you have no inside defensive presence....again Bonzi kept us in it...but I didn't like the way it looked. Just my 2 cents....
We'll take em at ARCO!!! ;)

W

West_Gunslinger16

Well, Bonzi almost didn't miss. That last time I checked before looking away he was 3-3 from downtown outside. Was he just lucky or the Phoenix inside Bonzi woke up?

I never used to put much stock in the "Adleman's fault" stuff...but I saw the minutes the the players played last night and I think over 40 mins is just TOO much. Plus taking SAR out for Brad...it's already been discussed in this thread. We need a little larger rotation...6-7 people just isn't enough...and it's more like 6...not 7.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Blurb from national article:

"Wells kept going in the start of the third quarter; at one point, he was 10-of-13 and his teammates were 12-of-38."

So...you keep feeding him. He only took 20 shots. That's not that high, especially for a guy carrying your team on his back. And we scored 98. Once again did not lose this one on offense. Its our defense this series which has been very spotty.

We definitely need to resign him and clear some room. Theres a bunch of players who's contract ends this year. I would also welcome a trade with Brad Miller/Thomas combo. As much as I don't like Adelman, who is better thats available out there? Perhaps we should wait to resign him and see if there are any coach "layoffs" during the summer. If not, then resign Adelman.

Brad didn't put Brad in - Rick did. Brad was, again, horrible and Rick won't sit him where he belongs.....right next to him on th bench.

Playoff Basketball is different Brand of Hoops from Regular season play. The kings seemed to be locked into what the spurs Do, They seem to have figured out their game plan and how to counetr attack to making this a Series. The post up wing players have thrown the spurs off of their normal Help Team Defensive concepts, Duncan is being told to Double either Ron or Bonzi, Leaving layups open underneath the basket, Then when they send parker to Double this leaves mike and martin open for kick outs,Swing passes etc, They also double Team Bringing a Guard from Baseline, Either Barry,Ginobli or whoever may it be that is in the game at this time.

Bottomline is they have a Tough time using their natural Defensive principles in Defending the kings on offense,The unorthodox style is a match up nightmare for the spurs. The problem on offense is mike needs to know when to get his offense going and when to let ron and Bonzi do their thang. Mike is used to being the Big shot maker and the focal point and when Ron and Bonzi get it going, He just stands around and watches without doing some little things to Contribute, Mike Needs to Balance the attack By choosing when to be Agressive and still running the show, Same with Brad

The Heart was there, The didn't quit, They fought to the end. The Defense was the problem in the end, They couldn't keep duncan under control in the paint and Manu got it going a little bit. Ron was being Screened and there wasn't any help Defense to keep Ginobli out of the piant or to challenge his shots, The rotations were slow and lazy, Also on the Perimeter the kings guards failed to contest shots, They just watched many times with know Effort to even challenge shots. This is why even if you don't get the basketball and your shot is not falling, You still have energy that you can use by challenging shots or Rotating quicker,you must utilize this Energy in other aspects of the game.

Sometimes having a Guy out there just because he can make shots isn't the way to Go, In Crunch time you need a Balance out on the floor, When Ron and Bonzi had it Going on offense, You may not need 5 players who can make shots on the floor at one time. There is only 1 Baksetball and all 5 Guys can't shoot this basketball at the same time, Here is where maybe kenny thomas with his quickeness and Rebounding and his ability to Switch on the Screen and Rolls comes into play. Not shareef or brad, but kenny thomas should have been in the game, You have mike,Ron and Bonzi and kevin martin all who can make and create shots, But you need a Garbage man to clean everything up.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Generally true, but when said garbageman is 6'7", is being asked to guard a 7'0" All-Star PF down the stretch of a pivotal game, and hasn't done anything himself all game but foul...well here were Rick's lovely options:

10pts 2rebs 2stl 1blk 1TO 4fls
5pts 1reb 0stl 0blk 2TO 5fls
2pts 3rebs 1stl 0blk 1TO 4fls

(Note the lovely 13fls to 6rebs ratio)

I mean...yummy. :mad:

Last edited:
Not much Rick could've gone to, I agree. BUT...why mess with the squad that just made up the deficit and go back to the player that is obviously a huge liability out there on both ends of the court??? Makes no sense.

I think Rick has more confidence in Brad than Brad does, and that's not a good thing. Not ever.

Bricklayer said:
Generally true, but when said garbageman is 6'7", is being to ask a 7'0" All-Star PF down the stretch of a pivotal game, and hasn't done anything himself all game but foul...well here were Rick's lovely options:

10pts 2rebs 2stl 1blk 1TO 4fls
5pts 1reb 0stl 0blk 2TO 5fls
2pts 3rebs 1stl 0blk 1TO 4fls

(Note the lovely 13fls to 6rebs ratio)

I mean...yummy. :mad:
Kenny thomas being undersized hurts,But he usually keeps duncan a little away from the paint, He may foul, But he won't let Duncan Back him all the way Down right under the rim, He also would have been able to Switch more effectively on those Duncan Ginobli Screen & Rolls,Which they were running at this time.

I say put him in there Becasue he doesn't understand giving anyone Ground or not fouling, We probably were better off with some of his over aggressive fouls, Put tim at the Free throw line and let's shut down this screen and Roll they are running at Ron.

the softness from the serb we traded must've rubbed off on brad. he WILL NOT FREAKING FOUL WHEN ITS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! under 3 minutes, FOUL DUNCAN AND FORCE HIM TO EARN 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! instead, he gets abused like a stepchild in the paint.
geezus, duncan is not that good of a free throw shooter. there is a possibility that he will miss a shot unlike their wings who are almost guaranteed to get 2 at the line.

Brad's rebounding isn't that big of a deal to me. One of the main reasons Bonzi's rebounding numbers look so great is that he is basically taking most available boards (in large part to Brad and Reef/Kenny boxing out so they deserve some credit).

We have kicked butt on the boards nearly the whole series with the exception of last nights game. And we lost the battle of the boards in that one because we let them shoot nearly 60% and we shot 40%.

Brad's rebounding is not the issue. Its his help defense in the post. Just non-existent at times. Like 9 times out of 10.

Last edited:
bperiod said:
1 play summed up Brad's whole series....if anyone remembers....
I believe a Spur got a hand on an entry pass to Brad so the ball was knocked off line toward the sideline...he stood there and looked at it while BIG SHOT BOB Horry ran passed him and dove out of bounds, and landed on some ladies purse to save the ball....:eek: Brad stood there and WATCHED! :mad:
I am not bashing, but I have said all year...the Kings go as Brad goes..when he is hustling, rebounding, acting like he's AWAKE we are pretty tought to beat. Also..this may be an unpopular opinion, but last night I felt we started going too 1 dimensional because Bonzi was hot...it basically became "Pass to Bonzi and watch", then it's pass to Ron and watch...we still need to move the ball, pass, cut...and Mike needs to get his shots (good looks) as well...we had 2 great comebacks after being down double digits, but that's tough to do on the road when you have no inside defensive presence....again Bonzi kept us in it...but I didn't like the way it looked. Just my 2 cents....
We'll take em at ARCO!!! ;)
Noticed that play too. A 36 year old Robert Horry went flying for the ball and Brad stood there looking at him. :mad:

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Brad's rebounding isn't that big of a deal to me. One of the main reasons Bonzi's rebounding numbers look so great is that he is basically taking most available boards (in large part to Brad and Reef/Kenny boxing out so they deserve some credit).

We have kicked butt on the boards nearly the whole series with the exception of last nights game. And we lost the battle of the boards in that one because we let them shoot nearly 60% and we shot 40%.

Brad's rebounding is not the issue. Its his help defense in the post. Just non-existent at times. Like 9 times out of 10.
Sorry, but I just can't excuse the boardwork either.

The "boxing out" excuse that has ben in vogue all season for this team is a gigantic load of horse manure meant to protect/excuse favored sons. EVERY team boxes out at least some of the time. And yet they somehow actually grab rebounds while doing it (indeed the whole idea). 2.8rebs in 30min for a starting center is just inhuman. Without a shred of exaggeration I am not sure I have ever seen a number so low. That would be weak for a PG.

Bonzi Wells is leading the entire freaking league in playoff rebounding as a 6'5" guard. That is the ONLY reason we have not been totally obliterated this series. If he's average, even for Bonzi, we're suddenly minus 5rebs a game to the Spurs. Average for an OG, we're minus 7-8rebs a game. But he's outrebounding Ben Wallace, and so we're only minus 1 a game. (note also that by playing smallball and making them match we are taking advantage of their softish/smallish littles on the glass).

Last edited:
Miller needs to sit on the bench tomorrow. He gets completely worked over by Duncan every time. At least Shareef and Kenny are able to somewhat guard him.

Don't 2.8 rebounds a game just land in your hands?? Especially if you're almost 7 feet tall? It's a complete lack of effort.

Bonzi is grabbing boards by sheer determination.

F

Fillmoe

cant blame adelman for this one...... the team lost as a whole... brad miller and mike bibby need to step it up

Rowdyone said:
Also, you play to win on the road and to tie at home. You don't save one players foul just in case you go to overtime.
That's very easy to say given that the game didn't go into overtime. If Shareef fouled out and the game was tied at the end of regulation, I'm sure it would be Adelman's fault for letting him stay in the game.

ESP47 said:
Miller needs to sit on the bench tomorrow. He gets completely worked over by Duncan every time. At least Shareef and Kenny are able to somewhat guard him.
Nobody has sucessfully guarded Duncan this series. The Spurs are the champs for a reason. You either get burned by one of the best PFs ever to play the game, or you double and give up the open 3's. Game 1 tells me that I want Duncan to have to beat the Kings. Also, Brad's minutes in this series have drastically been reduced from his averages. You don't think that Rick knows he isn't playing well? But he also knows, as do a lot of us, that we cannot win this series without Brad playing well and scoring. Without his outside shot, the Spurs can double Bonzi and Ron in the post all game long. It isn't a coincidence that Brad's best game was game 4 where we manhandled the Spurs. We need Brad to be a big part of the team in these last two games to have a chance.

as far as brad miller is concerned, he looks completely despondent out there. people might say, "no ****, padrino," but i think the question of "why?" needs to be addressed. why has brad miller just completely disappeared off the radar. and by "completely," i actually mean "completely." as in, brad hasn't just been ineffective. he's been blatantly missing, even when on the court. he jokes around with guys on the sidelines, though. he seems to be a part of the "team," celebrating the highs and dreading the lows. so what's with his game? seems to me the guy expects his teammates to win the series without him. his confidence is shot to all hell, for some reason or another. he doesn't figure himself to be a factor, and prophecy becomes reality in this situation. brad's the kinda player that won't play well unless he believes he's gonna play well. there's guys in the league who'll get lucky. rarely is brad miller one of those guys unless he actually believes he can be good enough to get lucky.

he's a good basketball player, probably overpaid, but good, especially considering the matchup problems he can cause for opposing teams and his abilty to spread the floor. those are not necessarily overrated abilities, but considering that brad doesn't bring a whole lot defensively, he needs to be able to do the things he does well. when he can't do them, or at least, doesn't believe he can do them, then the kings end up in trouble. somebody needs to wake him up and help him believe again. i honestly think it stems entirely from a nervousness/paranoia/confidence complex of sorts. i don't know why that is...but it needs to be remedied. as in, if brad could just step it up a little and give us, say, 10 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists a game at this point, that would make all the difference, considering the way bonzi's stepped up his game.

Bricklayer

I agree its all in his head Padrino, but that's a huge problem. And while the guy still has a unique and valubale skilset, mentally weak people rarely win titles. It was my beef with Peja as championship material, and what I've seen from Brad here...just too much. Almost impossible to imagine him being a center on a title team, not because of his game, but because of his lack of confidence and swagger. He can be knocked back into a shell so easily. Just not show up 1 night in three. The whole "Brad's so unselfish he passes up shots" is really more like Brad is so shaky mentally that his confidence just disappears at the drop of a hat. You just can't be babysitting people while you're trying to win it all.

You could take the same body, same game, and put Larry Bird's heart/mind in there, and have a championship center despite the obvious limitations. But put in a weak mind, constantly sown with doubt, not 100% committed to being the best, to winning at all costs...and he's just not the guy.

Imagine if we never made the Skinner for Potatohead/Monia trade...maybe Skinner could guard Duncan during critical junctures of the game and knock Parker and Manu en route to the hoop.

Defensively speaking:

Skinner >> Kenny > SAR >>>>> Miller

Last edited:
Padrino said:
as far as brad miller is concerned, he looks completely despondent out there. people might say, "no ****, padrino," but i think the question of "why?" needs to be addressed. why has brad miller just completely disappeared off the radar. and by "completely," i actually mean "completely." as in, brad hasn't just been ineffective. he's been blatantly missing, even when on the court. he jokes around with guys on the sidelines, though. he seems to be a part of the "team," celebrating the highs and dreading the lows. so what's with his game? seems to me the guy expects his teammates to win the series without him. his confidence is shot to all hell, for some reason or another. he doesn't figure himself to be a factor, and prophecy becomes reality in this situation. brad's the kinda player that won't play well unless he believes he's gonna play well. there's guys in the league who'll get lucky. rarely is brad miller one of those guys unless he actually believes he can be good enough to get lucky.

he's a good basketball player, probably overpaid, but good, especially considering the matchup problems he can cause for opposing teams and his abilty to spread the floor. those are not necessarily overrated abilities, but considering that brad doesn't bring a whole lot defensively, he needs to be able to do the things he does well. when he can't do them, or at least, doesn't believe he can do them, then the kings end up in trouble. somebody needs to wake him up and help him believe again. i honestly think it stems entirely from a nervousness/paranoia/confidence complex of sorts. i don't know why that is...but it needs to be remedied. as in, if brad could just step it up a little and give us, say, 10 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists a game at this point, that would make all the difference, considering the way bonzi's stepped up his game.
He has seemed like what you are Describing.

Bricklayer said:
I agree its all in his head Padrino, but that's a huge problem. And while the guy still has a unique and valubale skilset, mentally weak people rarely win titles. It was my beef with Peja as championship material, and what I've seen from Brad here...just too much. Almost impossible to imagine him being a center on a title team, not because of his game, but because of his lack of confidence and swagger. He can be knocked back into a shell so easily. Just not show up 1 night in three. The whole "Brad's so unselfish he passes up shots" is really more like Brad is so shaky mentally that his confidence just disappears at the drop of a hat. You just can't be babysitting people while you're trying to win it all.

You could take the same body, same game, and put Larry Bird's heart/mind in there, and have a championship center despite the obvious limitations. But put in a weak mind, constantly sown with doubt, not 100% committed to being the best, to winning at all costs...and he's just not the guy.
This is also true

bibbinator said:
Someone needs to sneak a triple espresso into Brad's gatorade.

Better yet. Have somebody up on the catwalk with a fishing pole with a can of chew tied to the end. I bet that will get his a** moving.;)

Last edited:
Maybe he is advertantly sliding in the shadow of the Bonzi and Ron Artest show. Sounds bizarre i suppose but Bonzi is all over the boards like a wild animal and that's where Thomas thrives as well. Could it be the law of diminishing returns?

And Brad gelled more (seemed more engaged) when he was working the pick and roll w/ Bibby. They had it down. But these days the ball is working more and more out of the hands of Ron and Bonzi.

No doubt he is sorely needed to finish this series off. And w/ him in gear and Bibby playing his game i still feel we can have this series....

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Nazman said:
Maybe he is advertantly sliding in the shadow of the Bonzi and Ron Artest show. Sounds bizarre i suppose but Bonzi is all over the boards like a wild animal and that's where Thomas thrives as well. Could it be the law of diminishing returns?

And Brad gelled more (seemed more engaged) when he was working the pick and roll w/ Bibby. They had it down. But these days the ball is working more and more out of the hands of Ron and Bonzi.
Bah... we seem to have had a similar problem in the past, and *my* opinion about the circumstance certainly hasn't changed one iota: if we have Player 1, who is a hard worker, and Player 2 who, once upon a time, was also a hard worker, and Player 2 has suddenly become passive because his game does not "mesh" well with Player 1, it ain't Player 1's problem.

If Miller can't play to the best of his ability with the offense running through Artest and Wells, then I've got four words for you: drop his ***** ***.