Theus On Sportsline With Grant And Mike

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Reggie is on right now.

Says it sucks and it is the business.

Was a great opportunity, a tremendous experience, thanks the Maloofs.

Warhawk

Staff member
Wouldn't do anything different. Made some minor mistakes, but made corrections.

What we all think doesn't matter, only what Joe and Gavin think matters.

He leaned on all the coaches, not just Chuck.

"if I had a grey haired white guy it wouldn't make any difference. The other coaches that got fired had grey haired guys on the bench..."

Did he REALLY say that? I heard something.

"a grey haired white guy".... weird.

Wow, he actually said his minutes were focused on developing on the "future", and not what was needed to win "right now". Total BS. He made comments earlier that his goal was always to remain competitive and to play the guys who will give him the best chance to win games.

Warhawk

Staff member
All the guys getting fired have had an "old, grey-haired guy on the staff". He doesn't think that was an issue.

Personnel-wise - a high was the respect level of all the players for the staff and Reggie himself. It was nice of them to speak positively of him; they didn't have to.

Winning 38 games last year was a great thing and positive note (how the season ended being so competitive).

He was supposed to compete every night, develop the young guys, and keep the locker room together. Making the playoffs was not really discussed. The young guys are moving forward and they were doing well developing. He thought they were on the same page (Theus and GP/Maloofs/team).

He has spoken with Kenny Natt. KN probably won't change a whole lot (in Reggies opinion) given the personnel right now as far as a style, etc. Defensively they were a work in progress, just like the personnel and the team.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
The experience has been phenomenal. GP is one of the best GMs in the country. He is forever endebted to the team and Maloofs, etc., for the opportunity. All levels of positive being here.

He loves BB, the team, the community, has always been a Kings fan and that hasn't stopped.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
That was about it. Hope I got most of the info down OK for y'all not able to listen to the interview. Anone else, please feel free to add in if I missed something.

"if I had a grey haired white guy it wouldn't make any difference. The other coaches that got fired had grey haired guys on the bench..."

Did he REALLY say that? I heard something.

"a grey haired white guy".... weird.

LOL, yeah he did say that. It almost felt like a little reverse racism. Obviously, he has a lot of black assistants and that was his way of saying hiring a white coach with a lot of experience wouldn't have changed anything.

I thought he was pretty classy up until that point.

Warhawk

Staff member
I was trying to type and listen at the same time - did he really say "white guy"? I thought he said "white-haired guy", implying age, not race. In fact, I am 95% sure that is what he said.....

But I could be wrong. My typing isn't the best and I have to pay a little more attention to that than I should if I am trying to transcribe something on the radio.

I was trying to type and listen at the same time - did he really say "white guy"? I thought he said "white-haired guy", implying age, not race. In fact, I am 95% sure that is what he said.....

But I could be wrong. My typing isn't the best and I have to pay a little more attention to that than I should if I am trying to transcribe something on the radio.
I'm positive he said "grey-haired white guy."

I think you can listen to the interview again at www.khtk.com

Yep, I just listened to it again. "Old grey-haired white guy" was the verbage he used. LOL...nice Reggie!

It's about 30% in:

http://www.sports1140.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3213406

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I believe that Reggie was responding to critizism that he didn't have a Coachie clone on his staff. I thought it was a mistake from the beginning and I still do. In the end, it was Reggie's ego that did him in.

I believe that Reggie was responding to critizism that he didn't have a Coachie clone on his staff. I thought it was a mistake from the beginning and I still do. In the end, it was Reggie's ego that did him in.

I tend to agree with the ego part. I mean, when he was asked if he could have done anything differently and he responds with "absolutely not, not one thing" that shows what a massive ego he has. I can think of about 10 obvious things that he could have done differently.

I tend to agree with the ego part. I mean, when he was asked if he could have done anything differently and he responds with "absolutely not, not one thing" that shows what a massive ego he has. I can think of about 10 obvious things that he could have done differently.
And, aside from what you or I might think he should have done differently, he got fired. His bosses didn't think he was doing things as he was supposed to, not even close enough to just let his contract expire at the end of the season. They thought he needed to be removed immediately. If he would change nothing, then he's implying that he's right and GP and the Maloofs are wrong.

"If I had it all to do over again, I'd take whatever steps were necessary to keep my job." Is that so hard to say? :rolleyes:

gunks

Hall of Famer
You know, after the first month I thought he was doing a pretty good job developing the kids.

Our defense was horrible, but I doubt that'll change.

Getting fired after the terrible loss makes me think the Maloofs talk the talk when it comes to rebuilding, but that they actually just want wins (and the filled seats that come with them).

The Maloofs need to sit back, they have enough money to afford a couple losing seasons if it means we'll get back on top with high draft picks. Its either that or the mediocrity continues. Ownership is very short sighted. We could have been like the Blazers by now.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
You can run but you can't hide in the NBA particularly in the coaching ranks. To say he wouldn't do anything different just means he doesn't get it at the NBA level. I also think, as many have already said, his ego got in the way many times. It was always Reggie first not team first.

KN will be just the opposite and bring a Jerry Sloan approach (no BS, no ego, just work your butt off if you want to play).

But I think Reggie could be a really good college coach at a high level school in one of the bigger conferences. We shall see I guess.

You can run but you can't hide in the NBA particularly in the coaching ranks. To say he wouldn't do anything different just means he doesn't get it at the NBA level. I also think, as many have already said, his ego got in the way many times. It was always Reggie first not team first.

KN will be just the opposite and bring a Jerry Sloan approach (no BS, no ego, just work your butt off if you want to play).

But I think Reggie could be a really good college coach at a high level school in one of the bigger conferences. We shall see I guess.
Maybe Kenny will be the Kings Singletary.