The Wrestling Thread~

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Daniel Bryan is out with an injury that’s being “closely guarded” by the E.

That’s pretty damn ominous sounding... I know accidents happen and DBry was kind of a ticking time bomb with his past injuries, but if freakin’ Kofi booted him in the face and effectively ends his career... I won’t be a happy camper.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So, those of you that post here... what’s your thoughts on AEW?

Personally... I’m not interested at all. Cody clearly has a mind for the business, but on screen he is C average at everything. Average skills, average look, average everything. If his last name wasn’t “Rhodes” he’d be Curt Hawkins. I don’t like the Bucks schtick, but admittedly haven’t seen a lot of them. I’m neutral on Omega. Jericho swaps between one of my favorites and never wanting to see him again, and his midlife crisis phase he’s in now has me wishing he’d disappear.

That said, hopefully they can spark WWE to be better. Fans were already changing “A-E-Dub” at RAW last night. I hope it’s more than a passing fad, and they are forced to step up, because the E is in a rut now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

Personally... I’m not interested at all. Cody clearly has a mind for the business, but on screen he is C average at everything. Average skills, average look, average everything. If his last name wasn’t “Rhodes” he’d be Curt Hawkins. I don’t like the Bucks schtick, but admittedly haven’t seen a lot of them. I’m neutral on Omega. Jericho swaps between one of my favorites and never wanting to see him again, and his midlife crisis phase he’s in now has me wishing he’d disappear.

That said, hopefully they can spark WWE to be better. Fans were already changing “A-E-Dub” at RAW last night. I hope it’s more than a passing fad, and they are forced to step up, because the E is in a rut now.
I don't think I can trust someone who doesn't like Kofi on their tastes in wrestling. :p

I didn't buy the PPV but I look forward to their tv show. I too mostly hope that it ignites something special like the last time WWF/E had legitimate competition. I am not sure how AEW fits into that, allegedly Tony Khan was huge into Mid South so that's cool. On the other hand NXT is great no matter how bad the top level gets and I worry that a lot of the decline in the product recently is going to continue with these new TV deals.

Any of you guys watching the Dark Side of the Ring documentary series on Viceland? I've been watching an episode every night for the last week. I'm hooked. As I've gotten older I've found the behind the scenes stories to be much more interesting than the actual wrestling.

I watched them all. Enjoyed the series but probably only learned something new from the Gino Hernandez one. The Moolah one was also pretty good, and it's interesting to see some who will go to their graves swearing by her. Supposedly the Montreal episode had the big reveal that Cornette first threw out the screw job idea that he had never acknowledged before, but even with that tidbit he claims that he only planted the seed of an idea and had nothing to do with it.

I thought the WCCW doc that is on the WWE network was better than the Von Erich one which was probably my least favorite of the bunch.

I still need to see the Ric Flair 30 for 30, especially in light of the social videos Ric has been posting in the last week.

I watched them all. Enjoyed the series but probably only learned something new from the Gino Hernandez one. The Moolah one was also pretty good, and it's interesting to see some who will go to their graves swearing by her. Supposedly the Montreal episode had the big reveal that Cornette first threw out the screw job idea that he had never acknowledged before, but even with that tidbit he claims that he only planted the seed of an idea and had nothing to do with it.

I thought the WCCW doc that is on the WWE network was better than the Von Erich one which was probably my least favorite of the bunch.

I still need to see the Ric Flair 30 for 30, especially in light of the social videos Ric has been posting in the last week.
I take a lot of what these wrestling biz guys say with a grain of salt. I feel like these guys are still somewhat "in character" even 30 years later. It's funny how Cornette and Russo can have such different memories of what went on as far as planting the idea for the Montreal screw job. Someone is lying through their teeth.

Too bad I don't have WWE network because the WCCW doc sounds interesting. I didn't know that so many high profile wrestlers came through there back in the day.

I'd highly recommend the Flair 30 for 30. He's about as entertaining as it gets.

I take a lot of what these wrestling biz guys say with a grain of salt. I feel like these guys are still somewhat "in character" even 30 years later. It's funny how Cornette and Russo can have such different memories of what went on as far as planting the idea for the Montreal screw job. Someone is lying through their teeth.

Too bad I don't have WWE network because the WCCW doc sounds interesting. I didn't know that so many high profile wrestlers came through there back in the day.

I'd highly recommend the Flair 30 for 30. He's about as entertaining as it gets.
For sure. There is definitely a lot of guys protecting the business or their position inside it. Corny is probably 85% believable. Pritchard ~60-70%; Bischoff 40% and if Russo's lips are moving you can be assured he's lying about something.

Without a doubt folks were lying through their teeth on the Gino and Bruiser ones. Supposedly there's at least 6 more episodes in the works or already complete, with Owen Hart and Chris Benoit confirmed.

The network has some good stuff but it's amazing how crappy their UI is so good luck finding it if they don't promote it. That said they have been doing more featured back-content recently, including showing the Tom Magee match vs. Bret Hart along with a feature on the match and adding a match with Magee vs. DiBiase that also showed why they thought he had potential.

For sure. There is definitely a lot of guys protecting the business or their position inside it. Corny is probably 85% believable. Pritchard ~60-70%; Bischoff 40% and if Russo's lips are moving you can be assured he's lying about something.

Without a doubt folks were lying through their teeth on the Gino and Bruiser ones. Supposedly there's at least 6 more episodes in the works or already complete, with Owen Hart and Chris Benoit confirmed.

The network has some good stuff but it's amazing how crappy their UI is so good luck finding it if they don't promote it. That said they have been doing more featured back-content recently, including showing the Tom Magee match vs. Bret Hart along with a feature on the match and adding a match with Magee vs. DiBiase that also showed why they thought he had potential.
What do you think they were lying about in the Gino and Bruiser episodes?

What do you think they were lying about in the Gino and Bruiser episodes?
Abby I am pretty sure has been called out for lying all over the net and podcasts, supposedly saw more than he said. Though he is not alleged to have been involved. But he came off like a nice sweet man in the interviews when he knowingly wrestled in bloodbaths while carrying Hep C.

Gino, I am pretty sure the guys that were blacked out that are supposed witnesses are full of it but that's just speculation. I think if anything they just wanted to put his mom at ease so she can live out her final years in peace. Even if there was foul play they have no reason to come after her.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The Wednesday Night Wars appear to be upon us.

WWE is taking NXT Live to Wednesdays on USA network to counter-program against AEW on TNT.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If you have the WWE Network and have 50 minutes to spare, go out of your way to watch WALTER vs Tyler Bate from NXT UK Takeover. An absolute banger of a match.

If you have the WWE Network and have 50 minutes to spare, go out of your way to watch WALTER vs Tyler Bate from NXT UK Takeover. An absolute banger of a match.
I watched most of the Takeover but stopped last night before the match. Looking forward to catching it later.

sidenote, but it seems like after a month or so of being terrible, the new changes are actually making it easier to find hidden gems and content from the 80s and such.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Heh. And, to the contrary, I hope that Kofi holds the belt until Mania, and I hope that he goes over clean in every feud between now and then. If he drops it before then, I hope it's only to someone else who, like him, has been on the main roster for a long time, for them to be a transitional champion to put a babyface over at Mania...

If I were "booking the territory," I'd give either Rusev or Cesaro a monster heel push, starting at HIAC, have them beat Kofi at Elimination Chamber, and give them an Iron Sheik/Ivan Putski run, before putting over a babyface Buddy Murphy or Ricochet at Mania.

Who knows what the hell they are doing with the move to Fox and the rosters. But I am cool with Kofi. I had at one point heard that Smackdown was going to be presented more like a genuine athletic competition (good luck with that); but if anything NXT would be the place for that. If that is true I am not sure how Kofi fits; he's not a comic book character but at the same time it's hard to believe many of his spots from a "real fight" perspective.

Still I think it's awesome he's been given a real run that hasn't been treated like a fluke.

I'm more curious about what they will do with the Fiend as I'd rather see him a lurking figure that just takes down the face after a win than go straight into a program with Rollins, lose and lose the mystique. If he is the heir to the Undertaker he needs a slower build, but is that possible with modern day short attention spans?