The Wrestling Thread~

I was probably old enough to know better but I was quite upset when he kayfabe injured Hogan in the build to WM2. Although we probably have that to thank for eventually getting to the Dungeon of Doom levels of absurdity.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
In less morbid news, I really didn't like the ending segment to RAW last night. It came across like they were expecting it to run longer than that, but it was much shorter than they thought, and so they had to fill time by repeating the beatdown. Which didn't accomplish much of anything, other than making it look like Becky can't beat Rousey.

I assume that Raw ending promptly on time for the last month or two has something to do with prepping for the new TV deals? But yes, it is strange that a show known for running long could barely fill it's proper time last night. And I hated everything that happened once Ronda dropped the mic.

I didn't want this to be a 3 way but I guess Vince or maybe Hunter feel they owe it to Charlotte somehow. But I agree that Becky beating Ronda will be a hard sell so they'll probably find some way to have her drop the title without losing. Though I'd still love to see her tap to Becky's "fake" armbar.

Also the whole "I laid down the belt but now I want it back" bit was totally lame, but everything that followed was her best mic work of her WWE tenure. So that's a plus. I think she's a better heel as she somehow naturally wound up unlikeable by the end of her UFC run. I hope she sticks around and we get a full 4HW angle.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I assume that Raw ending promptly on time for the last month or two has something to do with prepping for the new TV deals? But yes, it is strange that a show known for running long could barely fill it's proper time last night. And I hated everything that happened once Ronda dropped the mic.
Yes. As part of the new TV deal, WWE is no longer doing the overrun.

I didn't want this to be a 3 way but I guess Vince or maybe Hunter feel they owe it to Charlotte somehow. But I agree that Becky beating Ronda will be a hard sell so they'll probably find some way to have her drop the title without losing. Though I'd still love to see her tap to Becky's "fake" armbar.
I think that Vince feels that Becky's not a big enough star to main event Mania by herself, and/or Ronda is too green to carry the match, without another proven vet. Contrived and stupid as this angle is, Charlotte is the only other woman on the roster with the right combination of overness and in-ring talent for the women's first-ever main event.

I think that Vince feels that Becky's not a big enough star to main event Mania by herself
Bischoff (as big as an idiot as he can be at times) named her the one person he'd build a fed around on a recent 83 weeks. And honestly, I can't say he's wrong. She's friggin' over. And she earned it. This is probably even more impressive because they killed off all her momentum for about 2 years and she grabbed it, took hold and ain't giving it back.

This is just stubborness. But also they've shown Charlotte talking about being the first woman to headline Mania for 3-4 years now. So something just tells me they feel like they owe it? I dunno. Honestly it would be pretty bittersweet to have that happen and not be a part of it. But really Becky is the one who has made it what it is (the men's division feels pretty stale but part of me thinkgs that's also because Becky feels so fresh).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I mean, I give a lot of credit to Charlotte, for running with the ball that was handed to her: she's hardly the first woman in wrestling to have a father who was mega-famous in the business (Lacey Von Erich, anyone?), but she's gotten further than anyone else with roughly similar credentials. But, the way they stay gassing her up, like she got where she is all by herself, is more than a little over-the-top. She's about as "self made" as Kylie Jenner.

That being said, I'll repeat: a bunch of wrestlers were "born on third base," in terms of being second or third-generation, and end up as RISP, so shout out to her, for what she has accomplished, but there's at least a dozen women on the main roster, that I'd love to see what they could do with her push.

I agree that there are plenty of wrestling progeny (male and female), including other Flairs, that have failed to achieve what Charlotte has. So she deserves all the credit in the world for helping establish the WWE women's roster from "I'd rather watch GLOW" Divas era to where they are today.

That said, Becky is just next level right now. And maybe it's not fair to Charlotte that somehow the match everyone wants is versus Ronda but that's what it is. They've got it set up right now though that the only way Ronda falls is if they both take her down. Maybe that ultimately plays well into a 4HW feud.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Fastlane is a show that shouldn’t exist.

I’ll miss Dean if he’s really leaving... part of me thinks he isn’t with the 5000 “THIS IS THE LAST TIME EVER” reminders given to us throughout the night.

I hate that Kofi’s going to get a WrestleMania moment. I don’t buy into him as a top guy at all. Crowd does though, so I guess it’s nice the WWE is actually calling an audible and listening... just wish it was with a guy I remotely cared about.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I hate that Kofi’s going to get a WrestleMania moment. I don’t buy into him as a top guy at all. Crowd does though, so I guess it’s nice the WWE is actually calling an audible and listening... just wish it was with a guy I remotely cared about.
There are remarkably few issues allowed to be discussed on this message board about which you and I have been in stronger disagreement than this one.

I stayed out until I could watch Fastlane... Kofi deserves it. Xavier is probably my favorite of the New day but still. Good for him.

I too was a bit head scratching with all the "Dean is leaving" - even when someone does leave and they don't decide to bury them, it is rare that they would acknowledge it this far in advance. Has to be an angle, of some sort.

And realizing that kayfabe is out the window with Ronda right now, but dq'ing Charlotte so that you can have a triple threat match instead of a one on one is pretty stupid by any standard (although if they weren't shoving Charlotte into this match and this was the #1 contender match, it would have been brilliant; so nice job WWE).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I too was a bit head scratching with all the "Dean is leaving" - even when someone does leave and they don't decide to bury them, it is rare that they would acknowledge it this far in advance. Has to be an angle, of some sort.
Counterpoint: Dean is a big enough name that they can't just let his contract end without acknowledging it.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Some jack*** jumped the ring and tackled Bret Hart to the ground during his speech.

Travis Browne (MMA heavyweight, Rhonda Rousey’s husband) (among others) kicked the **** out of him,

I was happy with the results today. Been a while since I could say that. A lot of rumors that someone else was going to win the Main came in the past 2-3 days but thankfully they gave to the person that made this the main event (imho, of course).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I feel nothing for Kofi. Not an ounce of emotion, and it almost makes me sad I don’t care. It also makes me sad DBry’s epic heel reign is over.

The ending of the main event was rough... it felt like they had to rush and cut it short.

Happy with most of the results. The only one that really irritated me was Shane over Miz. Shane is by far the worst McMahon and I want him to go away again.

The ending was rough but the result still made me happy.

I didn't mind Miz/Shane because Shane always takes a huge bump when he is in position to win and loses. So in that regard, it worked. I also feel the opposite re: Shane as my least favorite McMahon. Not that I have a favorite. But Steph definitely is most annoying in my book.

my biggest disappointment was probably that Logan could have and didn't win the BR.