The Wrestling Thread~

A few years ago Colt Cabana, the host of "the Art of Wrestling" podcast, had an awesome show with his guest CM Punk on why he left the WWE.

Since that time they were in a legal battle against the WWE's doctor. Cabana and Punk won.

Now Cabana is suing Punk.

What's interesting for Kings fans is the legal firm that represented Cabana and Punk was Loeb & Loeb.

Loeb & Loeb represented the Maloofs during the arena saga.

Loeb & Loeb also worked for Chris Hansen.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/colt-cabana-cm-punk-contract-legal-fees-lawsuit/

Cabana is suing punk? yeesh.

after reading the deets... good lord. Half a mil in legal expenses and they won? Feels like they should get relief from the party that sued them but what do I know.

Sure makes my divorce look cheap :D

Damn. RIP.

Oddly, I was just watching a late 00's video of him the other day because my curiosity had gotten the better of me wondering whether he had ever tagged with Greg Valentine as "The Hammer and The Anvil".

Only in the indies.

Damn. RIP.

Oddly, I was just watching a late 00's video of him the other day because my curiosity had gotten the better of me wondering whether he had ever tagged with Greg Valentine as "The Hammer and The Anvil".

Only in the indies.
Late last week I was watching some old Coliseum Home Videos recently released on the Network and watched some Hart Foundation matches.

If you want to watch an odd angle from an independent promotion then look up Jim Neidhart versus Virgil in the NWC.

If you want to watch an odd angle from an independent promotion then look up Jim Neidhart versus Virgil in the NWC.
Full respect to the deceased but I don't think I could stomach that. Rather watch early Hart Foundation stuff before they went to the black and pink. Maybe those early Bulldog matches.

Saw a picture that was quite the bummer - all of the New Hart Foundation members other than Brett are now deceased. While Anvil was 63 and Brett is 61, Owen, Pillman and Bulldog would all be 55 or under.

Full respect to the deceased but I don't think I could stomach that. Rather watch early Hart Foundation stuff before they went to the black and pink. Maybe those early Bulldog matches.

Saw a picture that was quite the bummer - all of the New Hart Foundation members other than Brett are now deceased. While Anvil was 63 and Brett is 61, Owen, Pillman and Bulldog would all be 55 or under.
The angle was very racist and yet never talked about.

I saw the same picture. Those were different times in pro wrestling with the travel and life style than what it is today. So many have passed on at such an early age. If this was going on with NBA, NFL or MLB this would make major headlines. Since it's WWF (WWE today), it goes unnoticed for the most part.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Cancelled my subscription after the show tonight. I'm done until Roman's out of the title picture for awhile.

As for the good? I'm loving how good Rousey is at this wrestling thing. She's taken to it like a fish to water.

Also loved the fans crapping all over Charlotte when Becky took her out.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Cancelled my subscription after the show tonight. I'm done until Roman's out of the title picture for awhile.
Eh, I guess... He was the Least Objectionable Alternative, IMO. It's not like, if Roman weren't around, that they were going to put the belt on Seth, or Owens, or Elias, or even Finn. If it wasn't him, they were either going to keep the belt on Lesnar, or give it to Strowman. Personally, I prefer Reigns to either of those two dopes, low bar though that may be.

I like Strowman but it's lame to go from one big beast to another. Don't love Roman but he can work a match with the right talent.

I thought the ppv was too long, the best potential matches had screwy finishes and we didn't need effectively 3 squashes if you count Rousey. And frankly I am not sure about her at the top, sure she has worked 2 decent matches with a lot of help and has legit toughwoman cred but that pins them into a corner with booking.

That said, they finally got rid of Brock and seemed to set up a handful of compelling stories. Not sure about whatever Orton is supposed to be doing tho. Almost 10 year old in house so my sub going nowhere.

As for the good? I'm loving how good Rousey is at this wrestling thing. She's taken to it like a fish to water.

Also loved the fans crapping all over Charlotte when Becky took her out.
As a former WWE employee once said, let the story play out. Roman winning the title on Sunday was one thing but look at what happened the following night on Raw. That was fun to watch and this is coming from someone who would rather see Roman as a heel. Things just got a little interesting with the SHIELD reunion against Strowman.

I don't see myself cancelling the Network. $10 per month is quite a deal and I mostly watch the PPVs (maybe rename them Network events?), specials like Table for 3, Something Else to Wrestle With, and of course the classics.

I like Strowman but it's lame to go from one big beast to another. Don't love Roman but he can work a match with the right talent.

I thought the ppv was too long, the best potential matches had screwy finishes and we didn't need effectively 3 squashes if you count Rousey. And frankly I am not sure about her at the top, sure she has worked 2 decent matches with a lot of help and has legit toughwoman cred but that pins them into a corner with booking.

That said, they finally got rid of Brock and seemed to set up a handful of compelling stories. Not sure about whatever Orton is supposed to be doing tho. Almost 10 year old in house so my sub going nowhere.
I felt Rousey needed to dominate as she was being referred to as the "Baddest Woman on the Planet." She needs to live up to that.

Although it was cool to see her win the title as she is very passionate about the business, the question becomes who will take the title from her in the future. That's the problem. We'll see what creative comes up with and if Vince approves.

I felt Rousey needed to dominate as she was being referred to as the "Baddest Woman on the Planet." She needs to live up to that.

Although it was cool to see her win the title as she is very passionate about the business, the question becomes who will take the title from her in the future. That's the problem. We'll see what creative comes up with and if Vince approves.
Well yes, I agree the problem is booking her as such leaves them with little exit on an unproven performer. Especially since they ruined Asuka who 6 months ago was maybe the legitimate threat kayfabe wise and could have been a great match (also maybe the best female worker they have for a 1:1 match). And now they are stuck with female Brock. At least if she's chasing the champ can get DQ'd and other stuff, but it's obvious they wanted the belt on her for the Evolution/Revolution PPV.

Well yes, I agree the problem is booking her as such leaves them with little exit on an unproven performer. Especially since they ruined Asuka who 6 months ago was maybe the legitimate threat kayfabe wise and could have been a great match (also maybe the best female worker they have for a 1:1 match). And now they are stuck with female Brock. At least if she's chasing the champ can get DQ'd and other stuff, but it's obvious they wanted the belt on her for the Evolution/Revolution PPV.
I agree with everything you said. This is why I wish Triple H was more involved with WWE like he is with NXT.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
In a holy **** moment no one could have ever seen coming.

Roman Reigns has to step away as he’s fighting leukemia. Just... get well dude. I’m absolutely gut-punched over this despite stepping away from the shows for awhile.

I've crapped on Roman a lot over the years. Honestly, little to none of it is his fault. He's a great worker and does have a tough guy look that helps sell him as a champion. Praying for his healing.

On a much less important note, it seems like this is happening more and more to the WWE. just off the top of my head they lost Daniel Bryan in the middle of the peak of his career, Edge when he was a top guy, and Roman Reigns now who had to be the future of the company in the executives eyes.

I never liked his booking but I didn't not like the guy. He has a great look and works hard and with the right role could be awesome.

That said, they sure took advantage of the night at the end there. They've been teasing DA for a while now but last night? Holy crap. At the end when he went into the crowd and the marks started yelling "why did you do it?!?" "he had every right to!!!" at each other was pretty amusing.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
^^ The ending was almost chilling with the news hanging over the show, the mostly hushed shocked crowd, broken Seth, and crazy Dean leaving through the crowd.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
In hindsight, I have to admit that it was a ballsy move to pull the trigger on that turn, in the wake of the RL news that opened the show. At the time I was watching it, I was thinking, "Damn, really? Tonight, of all nights?"

It felt like the title change was mandatory/result of the RR news. I wonder how much of this was booking on the fly (and if it is, this is a rare case where it might actually work).

To me it seemed obvious they wanted to close with a feel good Shield story for fans and then they throw the ultimate swerve. On any other night I would not have expected a random Raw title change but last night it felt absolutely inevitable.

From PWInsider:

We have gotten a number of emails about the Roman Reigns announcement that he is battling leukemia and when people within the company knew. I have been avoiding writing about this because I feel like its ghoulish to even discuss this, but we keep getting emails, so to address it once and for all, 99% of those in the company had no idea what Roman was going to announce before he walked out on Raw. As far as those who knew before the announcement Monday, we are told that only the most upper-tier members of WWE management (that's how it was described to me, so it probably means talent relations and the McMahon family's inner circle) and those who are part of Reigns' family knew that he was ill. The announcers were not clued in before the announcement. My gut feeling on why it was kept quiet from everyone was that WWE, out of respect for Roman and everything that he's done for the company, wanted to allow Reigns to be able to tell everyone himself however he wanted. We wish Roman and the entire Anoa'i family the best.

With Roman Reigns' health issues, all early plans for Wrestlemania 35's main event picture are now out the window we are told.

The Dean Ambrose turn on Raw was something that was planned for the future, so the company decided to pull the trigger and go for it. It was not a creative plan made at the last second because of the Reigns situation. The turn was coming, but it was moved up.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/1...kstage-at-tv-this-week-and-more-news.html?p=1