The Wrestling Thread~

Well, it turns out, it was apparently because of this:
I’ve heard rumors of Mandy’s extracurricular activity. Figured it would eventually come to a head. Didn’t expect her to get fired over it though.
Oh man...Sucks for her, and Toxic Attraction. Mandy has definitely been one of my favorites to watch in NXT. I wonder what happens with Gigi and Jacy now that there is no Mandy to lead the way...Is this the beginning of the end of Toxic Attraction???

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
good lord, I saw the change on my insta feed this morning (kinda annoying I may need to stop following them on insta as they always spoil me). I liked Mandy. I kinda like Gigi and Jacy but they are useless without a Mandy. Maybe they can join up with someone else. Cora? They actually seem more geared towards a Cora than Mandy to begin with in terms of kayfabe personalities.

anyways, if anyone has those pictures ...

I hope she comes back in 6 months or something. Can't see her adding value to AEW (or more frankly, AEW adding value to her).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Gigi’s been awful in NXT. Idk what happened to her, I know she came in with independent rep but it just hasn’t translated. I actually think there’s a lot there with Jacy though. She’s improved so much since the start of Toxic, both growing a personality and leaning into her goofiness, and also as an in-ring talent.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Her rep is sorta in the Joey Ryan territory, in that she was as much as a garbage comedy/shock talent as a worker. We have two workers in this present timeline who's gimmick is a reference to GG Allin and she is the one who went past the ring name in this regard :oops:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
HHH keeps poaching guys (that Vince fired) from NJPW lol
to be completely fair, it’s not like NJPW was using Bronson Reed anyways

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I read Reed beat Okada. I assumed he was in NJPW for the long run with that rub.
NJP has been a total mess for the last couple of years since AEW started “collaborating“ with them and the whole Karl Anderson skipping a title defense to get Into a half-assed feud with the Judgement Day thing only exacerbated it.

Hopefully this week’s return is a sign that WWE and NJPW are open to collabing more and we get a fun Tanahashi Forbidden Door appearance at Royal Rumble or something but I’m not optimistic (although it would help explain NJPW putting out feelers for more translators/interpreters over the last couple of weeks).

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I highly enjoyed the Attitude Era as it happened but I imagine I would hate it today.

Also unless you had Stone Cold, Rock, Michaels, Angle plus the talent of the tag team division, and I guess begrudgingly 'Taker (a gimmick I was over with by this point) it would never fly.

I highly enjoyed the Attitude Era as it happened but I imagine I would hate it today.

Also unless you had Stone Cold, Rock, Michaels, Angle plus the talent of the tag team division, and I guess begrudgingly 'Taker (a gimmick I was over with by this point) it would never fly.
Wrestling today is a shadow of what it used to be.

The Rock, Stone Cold, etc those were the days. And before them: Yokozuna, Jake the Snake, etc. Today's wrestling is just so predictable and tbh, cringe-worthy. I haven't actually enjoyed watching it for several years now, and have given up that it will ever get any better.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Wrestling today is a shadow of what it used to be.

The Rock, Stone Cold, etc those were the days. And before them: Yokozuna, Jake the Snake, etc. Today's wrestling is just so predictable and tbh, cringe-worthy. I haven't actually enjoyed watching it for several years now, and have given up that it will ever get any better.
I like NXT and about 1/2 of the two hour AEW Dynamite show.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Fair enough friend. I have tried AEW and it is slightly better but still can't get into it. Guess just miss the old school stuff too much.
The period of time where I discovered the internet before most everyone else, and got smartened up on usenet, that was my favorite period as a fan. Once every single fan had that experience, which I think was more in the Ruthless Aggression era and they started catering to smart marks I lost interest for a long time, about until my kid started getting into it from video games.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The period of time where I discovered the internet before most everyone else, and got smartened up on usenet, that was my favorite period as a fan. Once every single fan had that experience, which I think was more in the Ruthless Aggression era and they started catering to smart marks I lost interest for a long time, about until my kid started getting into it from video games.
I actually have much fonder memories of the Ruthless Aggression era. At least the early part of it, with HHH at least still being a good worker while he was burying everyone on Raw, and the Smackdown Six holding it down on the Blue Brand... I feel like, in the aggregate and in general, wrestling is objectively better than it was back then: the ceiling may or may not be lower, depending on your opinion of the old stuff, but the floor is much higher. I think that people just remember the stuff that they did like so fondly that they blocked the stuff that was total dog**** from their memories.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I actually have much fonder memories of the Ruthless Aggression era. At least the early part of it, with HHH at least still being a good worker while he was burying everyone on Raw, and the Smackdown Six holding it down on the Blue Brand... I feel like, in the aggregate and in general, wrestling is objectively better than it was back then: the ceiling may or may not be lower, depending on your opinion of the old stuff, but the floor is much higher. I think that people just remember the stuff that they did like so fondly that they blocked the stuff that was total dog**** from their memories.
It's both better and worse. I think you know what I mean. The stuff done in ring is next level compared to what was done in the past, it's just that it requires so much cooperation, and it's a stunt show, nobody who is even completely square to the product is going to think for a moment it could be anything other than an exhibition.

You can watch many matches lauded for their storytelling and matwork back in the day and they run too long with far too many rest holds for the activity in ring but by the same token when a wrestler hit a move that would break your neck they didn't no-sell it, it was match over, and I think that was a good thing even if the modern product is more exciting.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You can watch many matches lauded for their storytelling and matwork back in the day and they run too long with far too many rest holds for the activity in ring but by the same token when a wrestler hit a move that would break your neck they didn't no-sell it, it was match over, and I think that was a good thing even if the modern product is more exciting.
Meh. This is a 'mileage varies' situation, and I've decided to be philosophical about it. If you take a broad enough view of the business, every wrestling move that you've ever seen was somebody's finisher, at some point. Like yeah, I get in my feelings when I see someone kick out of a Kudo Driver but, decades before that, our dads and uncles were getting worked up over guys kicking out of an atomic drop. Yeah, there was a time when a DDT was a guaranteed end of the match, but there was also a time when a fistdrop was, too. And I'm not even talking about, like, a fistdrop from the top rope, I'm talking about a regular schmegular fistdrop. Everything is sold like death, until it isn't: I have a much bigger problem with End of Days being the most protected finisher in wrestling right now than I have with people kicking out of a Canadian Destroyer.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Meh. This is a 'mileage varies' situation, and I've decided to be philosophical about it. If you take a broad enough view of the business, every wrestling move that you've ever seen was somebody's finisher, at some point. Like yeah, I get in my feelings when I see someone kick out of a Kudo Driver but, decades before that, our dads and uncles were getting worked up over guys kicking out of an atomic drop. Yeah, there was a time when a DDT was a guaranteed end of the match, but there was also a time when a fistdrop was, too. And I'm not even talking about, like, a fistdrop from the top rope, I'm talking about a regular schmegular fistdrop. Everything is sold like death, until it isn't: I have a much bigger problem with End of Days being the most protected finisher in wrestling right now than I have with people kicking out of a Canadian Destroyer.
I hear you but when a pile driver or a power bomb was death you could at least protect that wrestling was maybe a legitimate sport if someone just turned it on and had no clue what they were seeing. Obviously once you're like 14 you know, but still.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's both better and worse. I think you know what I mean. The stuff done in ring is next level compared to what was done in the past, it's just that it requires so much cooperation, and it's a stunt show, nobody who is even completely square to the product is going to think for a moment it could be anything other than an exhibition.

But how much of that was just the wrestlers of the time being physically incapable of performing more than one neck-breaker a match?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Was supposed to go to this event for "work" tonight but had other stuff come up/our bid fell through. Looks like I missed a barnburner too (30 min time limit title match that went 29'51" and started with a botch that I'm pretty sure gave everyone involved concussions).

Also completely unrelated to the headliner match but still the sort of wrasslin' entertainment I'm all the way here for:

(Side Note: I'm sure there are merits to listening to the English commentary on these Japanese wrestling events but the sheer obnoxiousness of Japanese announcing just can't be missed)

With any luck I might be doing more Japanese wrestling adjacent work next year going forward. Fingers crossed it's for STARDOM and not its increasingly messy brother promotion,