The State of the Kings

Time to rebuild?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think we need a full blown rebuild.

Fox is a stud. Buddy was good until Luke, a coach known for his abysmal offensive acumen, came to town.

I've low key given up on Bagley, but I wouldn't necessarily trade him. His value has to be pretty low, and if he ever gets healthy he'd be a player.

I'd love for us to keep Baze and Holmes.

Everyone else is pretty meh, but tradeable...

If anything needs a rebuild, it's the FO. I think a competent GM could do something with the few good pieces Vlade bumbled into.
Yeah Vlade has consistently reached with picks and not in a good way. Even last year the Warriors to Pascall one pick behind us.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The aim is to win a title. Can this team win a title? Er no. Therefore what is the point in persevering with it.
You can't really look at it this way until you actually use your team to full effectiveness. You just never know until then. This team has an abundance of talent. Championship worthy? You can literally say that about 27 teams every year. I think the Kings are ahead of plenty of teams in terms of roster. The unknown is the frustrating part. They are about out of time to find out. No more time to waste. Play to the strengths first then make the determination.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Is this real? You have to be F'ing kidding me. We're doomed folks. Doomed. Somebody could hand this guy a book titled, "All the Kings problems", with a picture of Luke Walton on every page and his review would be, "The pictures we're really nice. I like the color blue".

In other news Luke just handpicked his new lead assistant.

Only if that's universal talent. Otherwise, well, if you're a Kings fan you know darn well why Vlades draft record is actually better than his predecessor and a good half decade of the guy before him and it's because Vlades moves to his credit do fall into some sort of plan. He won't hit it out of the park that way but he also won't likely ever completely crap the bed doing what he's doing. The sad thing is his bud Luke is drowning his baby in the bath water.
Are you joking?

WCS. Vet min end of rotation
PappaG. Out of league
Malachi Richardson Out if League
Skal. Vet Min
Fox. Good pick
Justin Jackson. DNP Mavs
Harry Giles declined option
Marvin Bagley. Incomplete.

you could throw darts and do a better job of drafting. Not to mention the poor use of cap space to pick up other potential players or picks.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Are you joking?

WCS. Vet min end of rotation
PappaG. Out of league
Malachi Richardson Out if League
Skal. Vet Min
Fox. Good pick
Justin Jackson. DNP Mavs
Harry Giles declined option
Marvin Bagley. Incomplete.

you could throw darts and do a better job of drafting. Not to mention the poor use of cap space to pick up other potential players or picks.
Have you forgotten the drafts before he got here? In fairness though, look back at some of those drafts you listed. There weren't any true guaranteed dunder moves. Jackson I had a **** hemorrhage over when he passed on OG but honestly he's probably a rotation guy in the league. Outside of maybe Luka, and Bagley still has time to make up some ground, it's not the worst considering the draft themselves. I think most here would've taken Mitchell as well but no way would he have broken out behind or next to Fox. To Vlade's credit he doesn't super reach at the top. Or hasn't yet. He trades down if he doesn't like what he sees. He's not just making picks to make them unless it's the 2nd round. How much of that is poor scouting though? Probably all of it.

Bagley can still be great if he gets healthy. Starting to feel really iffy on that right now, but if we are not trying to view this summer thing as its own season I think we're still where we were when he went down for the season. I'm not impressed with his fragility but let him get healthy before writing him off.
He's damaged goods now. He's not only fighting a physical battle but now a huge mental battle too. Being the guy picked ahead of Luka, he sees how much fans wish they had picked Luka and how he can't live up to expectations. All while being in a terrible organization. It won't be long before the narrative starts becoming that "he needs a change of scenery".

He's damaged goods now. He's not only fighting a physical battle but now a huge mental battle too. Being the guy picked ahead of Luka, he sees how much fans wish they had picked Luka and how he can't live up to expectations. All while being in a terrible organization. It won't be long before the narrative starts becoming that "he needs a change of scenery".
Or maybe it lights a fire under his a? I mean we get it. We all wanted Luka. Nothing is going to turn him into Luka.

You can't really look at it this way until you actually use your team to full effectiveness. You just never know until then. This team has an abundance of talent. Championship worthy? You can literally say that about 27 teams every year. I think the Kings are ahead of plenty of teams in terms of roster. The unknown is the frustrating part. They are about out of time to find out. No more time to waste. Play to the strengths first then make the determination.
I get your point but I just don't agree there is championship level talent or depth on this squad, no matter what scheme they're in or however they're coached.

Even if you had a hall of fame level coach I still think they're a scrappy 7-8 seed that gets a win or 2 in a playoff series. The talent just isn't there.

People underestimate how difficult it is for a 19 y.o. to succeed in a dysfunctional organization. Not sure it matters who we draft at this point unless we bring the draftee into an environment conducive to growth and success. Otherwise, the Kings fans are looking for a teenager to put the franchise on their back and erase the ineptitude of the rest of the organization. Highly unlikely.

Dallas, Atlanta, Memphis wiped their roster clean in order to build AROUND their draft picks. Kings were never going to do that for Porter Jr, Bagley, Trae or whoever. The fact that Vlade balked on trading Fox for Porzingis is evidence. 8th seed or bust every year.

Only if that's universal talent. Otherwise, well, if you're a Kings fan you know darn well why Vlades draft record is actually better than his predecessor and a good half decade of the guy before him and it's because Vlades moves to his credit do fall into some sort of plan. He won't hit it out of the park that way but he also won't likely ever completely crap the bed doing what he's doing. The sad thing is his bud Luke is drowning his baby in the bath water.
Really? Willie Caulie Stein and George Papagiannis

Haha Bagley doesn’t not have superstar ceiling not even close. And this notion that he’ll get 20/10 effortlessly needs to stop
He does. If he can reach it. I never said he will reach it, and if he does reach it it may not be in Sacramento. Hes 21 years old. Injuries didnt help. He has career averages of almost 15 and 8 in 26 min. Thats 22.5 and 12 in 39 min so his per 36 is probably something around 21 and 11. Now do injuries factor in? Yes. Does the mental aspect of it factor in? Yes. Jermaine O Neal looked a lot worse in his first two years and he became an all star. One thing this organization and its fans do is write players off way too soon. Especially him. Everyone thought the pick was someone else. Hes not Thomas Robinson. How would you feel if you got run out of town? Would you want to play well for fans berating you? I mean he has talent. How much is questionable. He has long been a talented player. You dont "hold your own" against NBA players as a teenager if you suck. https://247sports.com/college/duke/...clock-to-play-in-college-this-year-105757528/

He does. If he can reach it. I never said he will reach it, and if he does reach it it may not be in Sacramento. Hes 21 years old. Injuries didnt help. He has career averages of almost 15 and 8 in 26 min. Thats 22.5 and 12 in 39 min so his per 36 is probably something around 21 and 11. Now do injuries factor in? Yes. Does the mental aspect of it factor in? Yes. Jermaine O Neal looked a lot worse in his first two years and he became an all star. One thing this organization and its fans do is write players off way too soon. Especially him. Everyone thought the pick was someone else. Hes not Thomas Robinson. How would you feel if you got run out of town? Would you want to play well for fans berating you? I mean he has talent. How much is questionable. He has long been a talented player. You dont "hold your own" against NBA players as a teenager if you suck. https://247sports.com/college/duke/...clock-to-play-in-college-this-year-105757528/
Just cause he did that at 15 mpg doesn’t mean he’d do it at 36 mpg PER36 is one of the dumber stats people use to sell potential to people. Even if he came close to the 20ppg mark at the point team would start game planning for him. I doubt he was game planned for when he was coming off the bench for 15 minutes in the 20 or so games he was playing. Once the tapes are out how’s he gonna react, how in gods name can a mediocre defending big who can’t punish SF’s have superstar potential. The guy looks like he can’t make his teammates better, can’t shoot for crap, and can barely create his own points but somehow has superstar potential. Are we still basing stuff on his duke highlights? Does Markell Faultz still have superstar potential cause of his draft position and Washington tape?

Have you forgotten the drafts before he got here? In fairness though, look back at some of those drafts you listed. There weren't any true guaranteed dunder moves. Jackson I had a **** hemorrhage over when he passed on OG but honestly he's probably a rotation guy in the league. Outside of maybe Luka, and Bagley still has time to make up some ground, it's not the worst considering the draft themselves. I think most here would've taken Mitchell as well but no way would he have broken out behind or next to Fox. To Vlade's credit he doesn't super reach at the top. Or hasn't yet. He trades down if he doesn't like what he sees. He's not just making picks to make them unless it's the 2nd round. How much of that is poor scouting though? Probably all of it.
yeah I’m not defending Pete but PappaG could have been the biggest reach ever. I just spent a week with someone on another staff and they didn’t have PappaG as even draftable. In their opinion the PappaG draft was way worse than Bagley over Luka.

OG is a starter on a top 4 team. He is way past a rotation player. Dude is a stud 3 and D player.

Porter jr not being healthy will haunt him, he doesn’t get hurt At Missouri and we have a 20ppg forward. Hell vlade still wanted to take him after he got hurt, if we got porter these threads wouldn’t exist.
The thing I never got about that draft that never gets pub is if Vlade was that high on MPJ, which I believe was true, how come they didn't make a trade for a late lottery pick when he slid all the way to #14. If a guy I love that much is sliding I'm doing what it takes to get him. There were a lot of guys that got shuffled around in that draft too, it wasn't that hard to trade into the late lottery.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The thing I never got about that draft that never gets pub is if Vlade was that high on MPJ, which I believe was true, how come they didn't make a trade for a late lottery pick when he slid all the way to #14. If a guy I love that much is sliding I'm doing what it takes to get him. There were a lot of guys that got shuffled around in that draft too, it wasn't that hard to trade into the late lottery.
For Vlade Divac it is. Unless it’s shuffling around second round picks (to take the wrong guy with) it’s impossible for him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We have unathletic guys in Bjelica and Bogi starting with Fox. Skilled offensive players sure but defensively Bjelica is bad and Bogi is just ok. And it’s not like Barnes is uber quick. I would have Bogi and Bjelica come off the bench and start Bazemore and probably DQJ. If not DQJ then CoJo but I’d rather go DJ. Start with a quicker athletic defensive oriented lineup. Set the tone. Put pressure on the other team. It’s too easy for teams in the first Q these last 2 games. It’s too bad Bagley isn’t here as he would be my Center. Set the tone first and then fill in with Buddy and Bogi and CoJo and Parker and Bjelica. Me personally I would play James for a bit and even Guy. Guy withBuddy and Bogi and Bjelica. Lots of 3 point shooting there.

Or we can run out the same starting lineup and hope To hold them under 40

We have unathletic guys in Bjelica and Bogi starting with Fox. Skilled offensive players sure but defensively Bjelica is bad and Bogi is just ok. And it’s not like Barnes is uber quick. I would have Bogi and Bjelica come off the bench and start Bazemore and probably DQJ. If not DQJ then CoJo but I’d rather go DJ. Start with a quicker athletic defensive oriented lineup. Set the tone. Put pressure on the other team. It’s too easy for teams in the first Q these last 2 games. It’s too bad Bagley isn’t here as he would be my Center. Set the tone first and then fill in with Buddy and Bogi and CoJo and Parker and Bjelica. Me personally I would play James for a bit and even Guy. Guy withBuddy and Bogi and Bjelica. Lots of 3 point shooting there.

Or we can run out the same starting lineup and hope To hold them under 40
that starting lineup might hold the opposing team to 20 in the first quarter but they would still be down 15 points. ;)

Just cause he did that at 15 mpg doesn’t mean he’d do it at 36 mpg PER36 is one of the dumber stats people use to sell potential to people. Even if he came close to the 20ppg mark at the point team would start game planning for him. I doubt he was game planned for when he was coming off the bench for 15 minutes in the 20 or so games he was playing. Once the tapes are out how’s he gonna react, how in gods name can a mediocre defending big who can’t punish SF’s have superstar potential. The guy looks like he can’t make his teammates better, can’t shoot for crap, and can barely create his own points but somehow has superstar potential. Are we still basing stuff on his duke highlights? Does Markell Faultz still have superstar potential cause of his draft position and Washington tape?
Thats not Duke. That tape is Drew league with NBA players at age 17. Fultz never did that. Bagley did. The one point you have that does concern me is making teammates better. I have seen effectively zero evidence he can do that. Never have. Thats totally fair. His defense was exceptional in that miami game and then he got hurt again earlier in the year. He can play defense. Miami isnt a pushover. Can it be done consistently? Jury is out. Fultz isnt a superstar but he can be useful. If you ask nba players coaches gms etc what most teams mess up on its giving up on players coaches too early. Youre right he will get game planned for. Im not writing him off yet. You probably were in the Luka camp as was I but Bagleys here so why root against him? Again hes not Thomas Robinson. He has shown potential at least. He put up 28 last year on the warriors and draymond green effused significant praise upon him. He doesnt do that often. Thats telling too.

Thats not Duke. That tape is Drew league with NBA players at age 17. Fultz never did that. Bagley did. The one point you have that does concern me is making teammates better. I have seen effectively zero evidence he can do that. Never have. Thats totally fair. His defense was exceptional in that miami game and then he got hurt again earlier in the year. He can play defense. Miami isnt a pushover. Can it be done consistently? Jury is out. Fultz isnt a superstar but he can be useful. If you ask nba players coaches gms etc what most teams mess up on its giving up on players coaches too early. Youre right he will get game planned for. Im not writing him off yet. You probably were in the Luka camp as was I but Bagleys here so why root against him? Again hes not Thomas Robinson. He has shown potential at least. He put up 28 last year on the warriors and draymond green effused significant praise upon him. He doesnt do that often. Thats telling too.
Im not rooting against I’m pointing out I don’t believe he has star potential.

stop it with the Drew league

I think the answer to this question really depends a lot on Bagley. I'm still holding out a small sliver of hope for him and his future, but if he gets injured one more time, I'm 100% out. At the end of the day, if you can't physically play then it doesn't matter how good you are.

My fear is that he WILL get injured again, he's just an injury magnet for whatever reason. He'll never live up to Luka (that ship has long sailed) or probably any of the other high draft picks in that class a few years ago, but he still has tools to be very good I think... if he can ever stay on the floor. Not holding my breath.

As for Vlade, if he were fired tomorrow it wouldn't be soon enough. He stumbled into Fox and declining the Giles option really doesn't sit well with me. That decision was totally nonsensical at the time and only looks worse today.

Last edited: