The Pieces Are There!!!

VF21 said:
I will admit to being a lot less stressed about this trade than I was in the beginning. Starting Skinner at the 5 and putting Brad back in the 4 might be interesting, to say the least.

We just got a lot different, that's for sure, and nobody in the West is going to be expecting what we're going to be bringing.

GO KINGS!!!
Great Idea, I think this is where Brad plays his best ball just like he did last year. Oh and hello to everyone:)

I'm going to go ahead and lay it out on the table right here (Hey, I'm 2 for 2 on the season so far ;)). There will be trades this offseason....I know, I know. Hardly a dangerous assumption, but for me, it is. I cannot see Petrie and the Maloofs go into the next couple of years with this group. This is not a group that you contend for title with, heck this isn't even a group that you bring outsiders inside with. This is nice, safe, good team group. They'll win, they'll play heard, at times they might over acheive, but they won't contend for a title. That isn't what the Maloofs want. They want their names all over the NBA, they want to contend for a title. It is only a matter of time before Petrie starts putting that plan into action.

The pieces are indeed there....to move. I've also come to the conclusion that the Webber move was nothing more than (or at least largely in part of) a financial move. They probably thought that the group that was could go no longer. In Mike and Brad you have the two most difficult positions to fill signed up for years and about to reach their prime. You have to make a move with that group right now. Not saying I agree with that for this year at least, but moving Chirs Webber it gave them 3 pieces to move more easily than one guy making 20 mil a year. So, long story short, I can almost envision Petrie sitting back in his office smiling watching a guy like Skinner go for 15 and 15 (or however many he had tonight) and thinking to himself how attractive he is making these guys look to other teams. Then, he makes his move and makes out like a bandit.

EDIT: Gee, don't I sound repetitive. Darn it people, stop stealing my thunder!

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KK - Brad was playing the four with a legitimate center, Vlade, at the 5. Big difference this year. My only point is it could be interesting to let Skinner play the world's smallest center and see how Brad can do back in the PF slot. NOT a long-term solution, by any means.

:D

And welcome to Kingsfans!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PixelPusher said:
so...does this mean Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace are roleplayers?
Ben Wallace and Tayshaun Prince essentially are, but they are GREAT roleplayers, and heck, Wallace is a roleplaying star if there is such a thing. Rasheed si definitely not. he can play at it if he wants, but that's a star talent there hiding out and only stepping forward when needed.

BTW, my own totally personal definition of roleplayer would be any player whom you tell "don't worry about doing x out there, just concentrate on what you're good at".

iheartBrad said:
^aww you haven't gotten to see them yet...?

well friday night we play Miami on ESPN...right?
Well, I've seen a couple games on ESPN and TNT, but I haven't seen Peja for a while, and I've yet to see the new guys...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Gregorius said:
Well, I've seen a couple games on ESPN and TNT, but I haven't seen Peja for a while, and I've yet to see the new guys...
No one has seen Pedja for a while, unless of course you wnat to talke about what friggin tie he has on. Word is he will play tommorow. OUght to be nice to see him even if he is a little rusty.

I am as shocked as anyone at how Skinner has performed...but it was against Charlotte with Okafor and not much else of a defensive or rebounding presence. I'm just saying, let's not annoint him as the team MVP just yet.

And of course this team still has a nucleas that could win a championship...there's still Bibby, Peja, Brad, maybe Cat. The problem is you got rid of someone capable of being in/leading the nucleus for players that frankly will never be part of the "nucleus" of a championship team. Sure they could play a role in the team, just making a distinction. The upcoming games should be a better barometer of how things are going.

And one more thing...only 5 players can play at a time. And I doubt that Adleman will play more than 8 people every game...so some people are going to be s-o-l for minutes if (and with the Kings this is a very big IF) everyone gets healthy.

Bricklayer said:
I don't think there was ever a question that we had the potential to be a good team -- heck, if we're healthy you could have had Webb blow out his knee and be forced to retire with us getting nothing back and we're still a 50 win team.

But that's not the goal, or at least it hasn't been unless we really truly have given up. Memories can be short sometimes, but we are less than 2 years removed from being the FAVORITES to win the NBA title (has it really been that short a length of time?), and that was to be our gold standard, our quest.

Yes we can be good with these new guys. Heck we could be good without them. We can be very good with them. But a championship team? No. Nope. That depends on greatness. And these guys don't have it. For us to ever reach that caliber again either Mike or Peja has to emerge as an playoff stud capable of facing down the HOF players you have to beat to win a title, or we have to make more moves in order to find somebody who can. Nobody has ever roleplayered their way to a title.

And to tell you the truth I resent these missed years -- since the death of the Lakers mini-dynasty there has been a vaccum wherein a good but not great team could have snuck in and won a title. But how much longer that vaccum will remain open is very much open to question. Already this might well be the best Spurs team to date, and I am very afraid of what a certain 20 yr old in Cleveland might develop into. This has been a window when we could have gotten by without being all-time great. But these droughts never last long, and somewhere soon there will be another dynasty arising, and then we will either have to find a great one ourselves or forever be the bridesmaid.
yep, that's about what it is. I had to laugh when 2 wins after the trade people were saying that we're better without Webber. What, like it was surprise that we could win two games without him? We already knew that. We are a good team, we will be a good team, and we will be okay this season. But okay isn't a championship. Okay means we are starting to say "We might make it to the 2nd round" versus (as Webber said 2 days before the trade) "nothing but a championship will do". Were we a real contender before the trade? Some would argue that we were not, but we were a heck of a lot closer than we are now. With Webb this team had the ability to try once more to reach the level of greatness that we knew existed in these guys, in this team. Without Webb, we are a good team with some great players. Could these guys step it up and win a championship? Maybe, and I hope so, but again, I think our chances this year would have been better with Webb.

Honestly, I believe this trade isn't over yet. Opening move of a chess game, and there are a lot of pieces. We will have to see how the new guys do, how Bobby heels, what Mobley wants and how Peja steps up. As much as I hate the Webb trade, I trust that with Petrie all these pieces will somehow or other work out to our advantage. Just not necessarily this year. And, I guess that's okay. Yeah, I would never have made that trade, because I was clinging to hopes of a championship this year. But, I have the luxury of being able to look at things one year at a time. Petrie has the responsibility to look out for the future as well, and that's a much harder job.

And yes, I too resent the missed years, ahd the missed opportunities. With the trade and the end of this wonderful era of basketball I have spent a lot of time looking back and wondering "what if" about injuries, bad calls, and missed free throws. It hurts that a team that has been this good was unable to bring back the ultimate prize. But, I do believe strongly in the Kings, and I know that great things will happen. I firmly believe that someday we will win a championship, so, at least in that sense, the best is yet to come!

For me to be sure on this I'd have to see the entire group perform for a couple of games but I'll say this though...
Last year, Pistons pretty much ragged the Bryant-Shaq Lakers, we all saw that. For me, they are still the #1 contender. It's the game that matters, not just the names on your roster. And when you look at one's chances, yes, you look for the superstars they showcase but for me, it's more a thing of few of those key ingredients that are a must-have on championship-caliber crews...I'm talking about team-play which is the most essential thing, chemistry within the team, ability to adjust and react to your opponent's game, also critical in my view...the thing that I believe we all can agree on is yes, several concepts of the game are in, some favour the team built around a superstar or two, some favour the very tactics, dimensions of the game, all of those are pretty much acceptable...
And let me try to put it this way. Yes, we'll probably see San Antonio and Detroit going far in the playoffs, but we'll also see the Suns and the Sonics having pretty interesting series, set aside the usual stereotypes one could put in front of you when arguing that game-philosophy, we'll probably even witness an early exit for the Heat...we need to go beyond the headlines, names of the superstars and focus more at what's going on on the courts...hell, I'll go on the limb and say this; if by some chance Clippers reach the playoffs, they'll probably be one of those teams nobody would wanna play against...they won't win a title but are sure capable of surprising anybody, 'specially if they're healthy...

And as for the Kings, I say at this point they need to find their identity and I mean pronto, ASAP. The way I see it, it's a #1 priority. Can they do it before mid-April ? I believe so. I believe they can do it because the most important thing Kings have is not the Bibby-Peja-Brad trio, but a system, a system that works, a system that's proved itself on several occasions similar to one we see today. And they have RA, a man who can do it, be responsible for making it work again...
With established identity, in my view Kings are a championship-calibre crew. If I'm reading him well, Adelman is pretty much satisfied with the pieces he has on this roster, they give him lots of options basically making this group very dangerous and very unpredictable. With B-Jax ready and in shape for the playoffs, this team can go all the way. I believe it's just a matter of them being healthy and wanting it that bad, as far as the overall talent is concerned, I have no doubts about it, it is quite good enough..

Was this trade a financial move?

Yes, if looking at the risk factor.

No, if looking at the dollar figure. They possibly could have had an expiring contract. Don't know what side nixed that. They have pieces to play with, but still have to pay one way or the other. An expiring contract only removes the financial burden off of a team that is so far over the limit that it isn't funny. That didn't happen.

Ditto ...

The talent is there and it'll work with the King's system.

Skinner proved he can come in and be "counted-on" ...

Thomas is better being "the recipient of an assist" ... he positions and moves

Corliss is a banger-n-grinder .... already proven player

But, as we saw last night ... WE NEED OUR STARTERS !!!

Wow what a homeristic thread!:p

Im not sure we are championship quality but making the second round is pretty much probable(prividing a good matchup). WCF is a slight possibility but alot of things have to go our way.

All's I Gotta Say Is ...

slugking50 said:
Wow what a homeristic thread!:p

Im not sure we are championship quality but making the second round is pretty much probable(prividing a good matchup). WCF is a slight possibility but alot of things have to go our way.
Anything can happen .... but, if nothing happens, then nothing is gained.

I don't think the trade has "payroll relief" written all over it but yes, to some extent it has a significant $$ relief component...
Some trades, you can pin 'em down as nothing but payroll relief, others as pure talent improvement, but most of them really are not one-dimensional like that and it's hard to say one thing leaving out the other...
Looking at this one, I'd say Petrie never intended to get that Robinson's contract, and I'd bet he got exactly what he wanted in these circumstances. Robinson's expiring contract ? That would've cut it as pure financial move but what good would that contract bring ? Not much I'd have to guess, Kings would've been under the luxury cap but still $5 mil above the salary cap, meaning yes they'd be free of paying any luxury tax if one should be triggered, but they'd still be in no position to add a free agent not looking at their MLE off course, not even mentioning the obvious decrease talent-wise...all that Bill Simons talk "Lemme guess, Kenny Thomas, Dalembert and Big Dog?" is jut pure nonsense and nothing but embaressement for the writer himself I might add...I mean Dalembert for crying out loud ??...
Again, under these circumstances, Petrie again got the best of it, he has a comfortable position now, place for future manouvering and a pretty good roster to show for...
In Petrie I trust ;)

Last edited:
I think everyone is going to be pleased with the remainder of this season. Some of us are generally pesimistic, others like myself are normally optimistic. I have to admit that I am often too optimistic, but that said, I would bet money that we will do well in the playoffs.