The ONE AND ONLY Luka Doncic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Zinger trade would be different with us considering we have more talent. What was the offer or trade? Would be something like Fox/WCS for Porzingis we’d still have Hield and Bogi who would be dallas 2nd and 3rd best players right now. Luka/Buddy/Bogi/Porzingis is an elite level lineup plug in a 3D guy and we’re contenders with that group. Luka would be unstoppable with that spacing/Shooting
I legitimately do not understand the love Porzingis keeps getting. The dude has been getting benched in close games because he gets lost on defense and is so physically weak that teams are bodying him up with guards (Marcus Smart is a great defender. He's also a foot shorter than Zinger.). Couple that with concerns about his intangibles (demanding a trade/getting into bar fights/that sexual assault accusation that miraculously disappeared) and health (knees that bow inwards when he jumps/paper mâché ligaments). I realize that people see a tall dude who can kinda shoot and can come away enamored with him but, while he's by no means a bad player, one gets the feeling that people wouldn't have been as excited about him if he hadn't had the entire New York media market pushing for him to start his career.

Also that Zinger contract meant the we really wouldn't have had the money to pay for Buddy or Bogi.

If I were someone who's invested in backing Vlade, I'd probably prefer the rumor about not drafting Luka because of Vlade's experience with Luka's dad to be true.

I mean, it's better than the quote attributed to Vlade which is that Bagley is "a better player" than Luka.

Luka was better before the draft, at the draft, last season and at present. Not at any point in their perspective histories has it been close. Bagley has never been in the same class as Luka. The only hope is that he adds numerous weapons to his arsenal and improves dramatically. That rarely happens.

And if he did that, it only softens to blow. I think there's practically zero chance Bagley is ever in the MVP conversation which Luka already is.

Last edited:
If I were someone who's invested in backing Vlade, I'd probably prefer the rumor about not drafting Luka because of Vlade's experience with Luka's dad to be true.

I mean, it's better than the quote attributed to Vlade which is that Bagley is "a better player" than Luka.

Luka was better before the draft, at the draft, last season and at present. Not at any point in their perspective histories has it been close. Bagley has never been in the same class as Luka. The only hope is that he adds numerous weapons to his arsenal and improves dramatically. That rarely happens.

And if he did that, it only softens to blow. I think there's practically zero chance Bagley is ever in the MVP conversation which Luka already is.
Okay, I now see many articles on this topic from yesterday. If this is the reason Vlade passed on Luka, maybe Vlades Balkan ties are a huge disadvantage in building the Kings. I’m actually pissed at the thought and his explanation that Bagley was the better player. Hes paid to judge talent and build the best team, not let a personal parental rift impact decisions.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
People: Marvin Bagley's dad is a crazy person and will be an issue going forward and I know this because of a couple of tweets I read!!!

Also People: Vlade's concerns about Luka's parents that he has from actually knowing them and working with them are dumb!

Not saying one side is right or wrong as I think there is a little truth to both but the dichotomy here is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Since there's a lot of Buddy trashing going on at the moment, I don't see how everyone can viscerally hate everything Buddy Hield has as a weakness and then in the same breath have such huge support for Bagley as the draft pick.

That was impressive. Hou cuts it to 5 and then Luka just takes over down the stretch and blows Hou off their home floor.

Carlisle had a nice game plan against Harden, shading him at the 3pt line with Porzingis.

If we're gonna go by hearsay/rumours I'd put more stock into the rumour Doncic and his team told Vlade and co after their meeting in Spain that he doesn't want to play for the Kings than I would at Vlades alleged issues with Lukas dad. It just seems that Vlade would have more of an issue with the player not wanting to be at Sacramento than anything to do with his dad.
Either way, it seems that a mistake was made and unfortunately we can't do a redo.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Since there's a lot of Buddy trashing going on at the moment, I don't see how everyone can viscerally hate everything Buddy Hield has as a weakness and then in the same breath have such huge support for Bagley as the draft pick.
It’s called a blindfold. As long as we’re wearing it the ghost of Luka Doncic can’t hurt us.

Its still just so painfull to watch this. For any competent FO this was supposed to be an easy pick. You have the film, you have the stats, you have the analytics department telling you the real value of defensively challenged big men compared to ball handling creator wing with A+ basketball IQ. I will never understand how a person being paid so much f**ing money manages to miss so badly when literally everything supported that you should draft Luka Doncic. That is literally nothing but incompetence.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It’s called a blindfold. As long as we’re wearing it the ghost of Luka Doncic can’t hurt us.
For some of us, it's about not crying about the spilled milk. I know you don't understand that, but I personally will watch and enjoy the Kings because I love the game. If Luka turns out to be the greatest person to ever play the game in the history of the world, good for him. That one thing doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for my Kings. I guess that's where the big disconnect is for some.

All I'm saying is quit putting words in the mouths of those of us who aren't clinging to the ledge ready to jump. You don't understand us any more than we apparently understand you.

Is it really necessary to lambast us to prove your anger? I'm pretty sure we all get it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Its still just so painfull to watch this. For any competent FO this was supposed to be an easy pick. You have the film, you have the stats, you have the analytics department telling you the real value of defensively challenged big men compared to ball handling creator wing with A+ basketball IQ. I will never understand how a person being paid so much f**ing money manages to miss so badly when literally everything supported that you should draft Luka Doncic. That is literally nothing but incompetence.
OMG. Still so painful? Seriously? Maybe you need to think about stepping away from the Kings... if it's that painful it might be better for you in the long run.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’ll try to stop putting words in mouths. I’m just extremely bitter (obviously) and it’s because this is the straw that broke my back. I just don’t care anymore. The Kings had their chance at relevance and very very possibly even above and beyond relevance and it’s gone. It was right there... and the man in charge did his thing and the rest will be history

OMG. Still so painful? Seriously? Maybe you need to think about stepping away from the Kings... if it's that painful it might be better for you in the long run.
Of cource its still very painful. The way Luka Doncic is performing right now its obviously painful that we for some odd idiotic reason passed on him. As I said, there was no excuses on this one. If you straight up drafted someone else (like Bagley) over Luka, you are not good enough to do that job. It was a horrible mistake right when it happened and it still is. Its very painful.

I also dont need your advice on wether I should "step away from the Kings". I do nothing but hope for the best for this franchise. Even if you can suppress your own thoughts and have a blind trust on any current FO even after 10+years of ridiculous incompetency, thats cool but I cant and I wont do that. If I see incompetency, I will comment on that because this fanbase doesnt deserve incompetency

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of cource its still very painful. The way Luka Doncic is performing right now its obviously painful that we for some odd idiotic reason passed on him. As I said, there was no excuses on this one. If you straight up drafted someone else (like Bagley) over Luka, you are not good enough to do that job. It was a horrible mistake right when it happened and it still is. Its very painful.

I also dont need your advice on wether I should "step away from the Kings". I do nothing but hope for the best for this franchise. Even if you can suppress your own thoughts and have a blind trust on any current FO even after 10+years of ridiculous incompetency, thats cool but I cant and I wont do that. If I see incompetency, I will comment on that because this fanbase doesnt deserve incompetency
Whatever. I've been part of this fanbase since 1985. I've seen painful in a way you couldn't even imagine. Ever hear of Ricky Berry?

It's the hand-wringing drama that I'm objecting to from a few in here.

SLAB has been around forever. I get his angst. He and I have exchanged thoughts, disagreements, etc. for a very long time. I know what he means and hopefully he knows what I mean.

You think I don't realize what an incredible talent Luka is? We had a chance at him and didn't take it. Horrible decision? Quite possibly but at what point do you quit whining about it? You're on a Kings board but I see very few comments about anything but how horrible the FO is, how great Doncic is, and how any of us who don't agree completely with what you and a few others say are just fools.

Go back to the spilled milk. Eventually you're gonna realize it's dried up and blown away and you still can't get it back.

Horrible decision? Quite possibly but at what point do you quit whining about it?.
It’s going to take a while but it will subside. This is all still really fresh. We had a terrible start to the season, Bagley has missed about 1/3 of his games to date and Luka is having one of the best seasons for a second year player ever (especially considering his age). Hopefully by the end of the year we will be fighting for the playoffs and our minds can at least temporarily focus on that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It’s going to take a while but it will subside. This is all still really fresh. We had a terrible start to the season, Bagley has missed about 1/3 of his games to date and Luka is having one of the best seasons for a second year player ever (especially considering his age). Hopefully by the end of the year we will be fighting for the playoffs and our minds can at least temporarily focus on that.
Fair comment. I truly hope you're right.

You think I don't realize what an incredible talent Luka is? We had a chance at him and didn't take it. Horrible decision? Quite possibly but at what point do you quit whining about it?
I dont know why you personally care so much that some other people are dissapointed about bad decision making of our front office. You calling it "whining" doesnt change anything. Me personally, I cant say when I will start to feel better about it.

You're on a Kings board but I see very few comments about anything but how horrible the FO is, how great Doncic is, and how any of us who don't agree completely with what you and a few others say are just fools.
And I see very few comments from you about anything other than agreeing whatever this organisation decides to do. Thats your approach and thats cool but as a moderator you probably should understand that everyone wont just give their unconditional trust and stick with it even when some of the decisions seem to be very bad.

Go back to the spilled milk. Eventually you're gonna realize it's dried up and blown away and you still can't get it back.
Its not "spilled milk". Its analysing the decision making of this front office and discussing about it. People will want to discuss about negative things about Kings too wether you like it or not

VF21 let's be honest, would you feel the same way if Pete D'Allesandro made the same draft decision? Could your love for Vlade be effecting your objectivity? You seem really hesitant to even remotely question any of Vlade's decisions.

You had no problem jumping on the Gerbil anti-Pete bandwagon.

VF21 let's be honest, would you feel the same way if Pete D'Allesandro made the same draft decision? Could your love for Vlade be effecting your objectivity? You seem really hesitant to even remotely question any of Vlade's decisions.

You had no problem jumping on the Gerbil anti-Pete bandwagon.
I was like that too I defended every Vlade move no matter what until the Boogie trade but I recovered, but Luka man this hurts

Status
Not open for further replies.