The NFL Discussion Thread - 2011/12

Looks like Tim Tebow has proven some naysayers wrong. :)
Not really. It was only the Dolphins in Miami, and there were actually a lot of Tebow fans in the crowd. N the first 3 quarters were hard to watch. Impressive win n good for him, but he has Detroit up next. That won't be as easy

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not really. It was only the Dolphins in Miami, and there were actually a lot of Tebow fans in the crowd. N the first 3 quarters were hard to watch. Impressive win n good for him, but he has Detroit up next. That won't be as easy
He won on the road, which is never easy for a rookie. Mistakes? Yep. And he'll have more next week. But at least he's giving a spark of hope to long-suffering Bronco fans who haven't had much to celebrate since the retirement of John Elway.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
There are many Bronco fans that want nothing to do with Tebow. I will say that having Tebow does come in handy when it is time for a 2pt conversion, but save for one or two plays he looked dreadful most of the time. They won today with defense. Which actually says something for the Broncos, except for the fact that it was against Miami.

What is up with Chris Johnson? He is doing TERRIBLE. I should have gotten rid of him when I had the chance.
Dude was suppose to make little over $1 million this season but held out for a new deal. In other words, his existing NFL contract was not a contract. Tennessee eventually caved in and extended him four more years at $53.5 mil w/ $30 mil guaranteed. Just another reason all professional sports contracts signed should be binding, incentive based, and long-term deals a thing of the past.

I give Tebow no credit for that performance and I'm damn sick and tired of turning on Sportscenter and the first thing talked about is Tebow. I don't give a crap! There are plenty of great players and great performances getting overshadowed.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I give Tebow no credit for that performance and I'm damn sick and tired of turning on Sportscenter and the first thing talked about is Tebow. I don't give a crap! There are plenty of great players and great performances getting overshadowed.
I remember last year Rob Gronkowski had 3 touchdowns in a break out game and Tebow ran for a TD in the late stages of a lost game and guess who won rookie of the week?

Maybe the Broncos can get teams to play the prevent defense for 4 quarters because that's the only way I see this ending well.

In any event, I stuck up for Orton and I do believe he is the better QB, but he's a marginal QB on a poor team (I think he could manage very well on a good team). So I'm down to get this Tebow experiment off the ground, hopefully he improves significantly this year. If not I hope they cut ties in the off season because this experiment has completely divided the fan base and I'm afraid one side is so irrational in their blind devotion that even if he is being outperformed by the other QBs on the team they will demand he play.

I know he's probably awful or he'd have played by now but I'd still like to see what Brady Quinn can actually do in a game too.

Thank the football gods that the Pats bye week has come and gone.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I know he's probably awful or he'd have played by now but I'd still like to see what Brady Quinn can actually do in a game too.

Thank the football gods that the Pats bye week has come and gone.
After watching Quinn at ND, I had a lot of hopes for him in the NFL. I've come to the conclusion, however, that his game just might not translate onto the big stage. Maybe similar to Doug Flutie? (Or did Flutie do better in the NFL than I recall?) Perhaps he, like others before him, just needs the right coach in the right situation...

I'm still in Quinn's camp. :)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
After watching Quinn at ND, I had a lot of hopes for him in the NFL. I've come to the conclusion, however, that his game just might not translate onto the big stage. Maybe similar to Doug Flutie? (Or did Flutie do better in the NFL than I recall?) Perhaps he, like others before him, just needs the right coach in the right situation...

I'm still in Quinn's camp. :)
Flutie did well on his return to the NFL in the Buffalo Bills post-Kelly years. But he spent the best years of his career dominating the Canadian league.

So much for the end of the Pats bye week :( Pittsburgh is a team Brady normally dominates. Sad day.

Tebow was awful today... maybe we will see Quinn by the end of the season. Wonder if the Broncos already played themselves out of the Luck sweepstakes. Stanford QBs have a better history in Denver than they do with the Colts :)

Yeah, Tebow was awful today. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

I'm no Rex Grossman fan, but I can't seem to figure out why the Redskins are continuing to go with Beck. They have been absolutely TERRIBLE since he took over. I know they've had some injuries, but when Buffalo shuts you out (no disrespect to their D, they've played pretty well) then something is wrong. I expect to see Grossman back soon

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Harbaugh is a genius. Well, at least as far as football goes. He has defenses not knowing what is coming what with tackle eligible plays, nose tackles catching passes, and even the unspeakable, having Smith through (kinda) downfield. Then there's the jumbo offensive lineup which was used about 5-6 times with Sapoaga and an extra offensive line man to go with the tight ends daring a team to stop the running game going that way. For good measure, Iupati pulls to the same direction. The only problem I see is too many blockers for Gore to find running room. :) This is very enjoyable to watch.

Early in the year he brought in Snyder as a tackle eligible and had him shift backwards (as receivers do) and it pulled the defense offside as they thought it was a tackle dropping back to block. Fascinating.

And who would believe that Bowman would lead the team in tackles with a healthy Willis next to him. Pretty scary.

Wins the toss and elects to kick off. End arounds. You name it.

I don't feel so bad about the Bengals losing to the Niners this year since the 49ers are pretty damn good.

The Bengals though.. Who would have thought? 6-2! Most people weren't even thinking the Bengals would win 4 games all year. Their Defense is amazing, and Dalton and Green do not look like rookies out there. They are doing just enough to win the games.

What the Bengals and 49ers are doing this year is a clear indicator of why the NBA will never be at the NFL's level. Reason for hope and optimism is almost non existent in the NBA.

What the Bengals and 49ers are doing this year is a clear indicator of why the NBA will never be at the NFL's level. Reason for hope and optimism is almost non existent in the NBA.
Don't forget about the Lions and Bills. Heck, even the Broncos and Browns have a shot at winning their division.

Yeah, like I posted a little while back in this thread...the NFC has had 10 different teams in the Superbowl in the past 10 years, and neither of those teams were the Cowboys or Falcons. That's unreal and would never happen in the NBA.

I'm a little embarrassed to be a Chargers fan right now. No matter what, every game they play to just slightly below their oppositions level, even in the 4 games they won. This may or may not be his fault, but regardless.....Fire Norv Turner!

I'm a little embarrassed to be a Chargers fan right now. No matter what, every game they play to just slightly below their oppositions level, even in the 4 games they won. This may or may not be his fault, but regardless.....Fire Norv Turner!
I've always held a personal dislike for Norv Turner. I have no idea why BTW. I just think he's one of those coaches that will do really well year in and year out but only have division titles to show for it. He's sort of like the Tony Romo of coaches I guess. :p

I've always held a personal dislike for Norv Turner. I have no idea why BTW. I just think he's one of those coaches that will do really well year in and year out but only have division titles to show for it. He's sort of like the Tony Romo of coaches I guess. :p
He really is. And he needs to go soon because their Superbowl window is closing (am I talking about San Diego or Dallas here?:p). I really think AJ needs to let Norv go, and maybe look into shuffling around that O-Line. They're not necessarily bad, it's just Rivers could have a close footrace with a tortoise so they need maximum protection for him so he can stay in the pocket. Or maybe use more two or three TE sets or something. Seems like Rivers is taking sacks or throwing INT's on every key 3rd down they have and it's extremely frustrating as a fan. Especially since the defense held Aaron Rodgers to TWO straight 3 & out's late in the 4th last week.