The NFL Discussion Thread - 2011/12

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I was planning on making a NFL thread myself after the lockout. But since you all ready did that. I am very ready for some football!!! Man I am excited for it to get under way, free agency start up and some preseason as an appetizer before the big bang in Sept.

Me thinks some of these vets in the NFLPA are trying to drag this thing out to give unproven rookies less of a chance to outshine them in TC. Why are a small amount of players in charge of voting? Doesn't even make sense. There's hundreds of players who would sign right now no matter what the offer was just to get some dough! This thing better get signed on Monday!

Haha I didn't mean to jump the gun on this thread, I just got excited when I read the article that I linked in my original post. Sorry kingsboi :p

Me thinks some of these vets in the NFLPA are trying to drag this thing out to give unproven rookies less of a chance to outshine them in TC. Why are a small amount of players in charge of voting? Doesn't even make sense. There's hundreds of players who would sign right now no matter what the offer was just to get some dough! This thing better get signed on Monday!
I kind of wondered that myself but I'm sure the small group of players in charge of voting (how they decide on who votes I have no idea) have all the players best interests in mind. I hate lockouts and I think professional athletes who get paid millions of dollars more than doctors, fire fighters etc, just to play a sport for a living should not be complaining about wanting more money. But at the same time that's just the way things are. And owners would probably have their way if they let all the backups/fringe starter type players vote on this type of thing.

Anyway, latest word is the league year possibly starting on Wednesday

My thing is, regardless of what people think the owners may have up their sleeves and what not, but these guys have all been successful business men for most of their lives. To think these players know about these situations more than the owners is ludicrous.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I agree, what makes random players like Drew Brees, Vrabel, etc. part of the players group or whatever you want to call it. If they wanted things done properly they would keep the players out of this or have the players in the league vote for two or three representatives based on who they feel has the best knowledge of the situations. Laugh out loud at Oakland being the only team in not accepting the new CBA proposal by the way. Al Davis at his best?

My thing is, regardless of what people think the owners may have up their sleeves and what not, but these guys have all been successful business men for most of their lives. To think these players know about these situations more than the owners is ludicrous.
That's not the point. The point is that the player reps (and the attorneys for the NFLPA) wanted the opportunity to actually go through the proposed CBA before voting on it. I don't see what's so strange about that. Just because the owners are businessmen doesn't mean that the players should just take them at their word and ink a ten year agreement without doing their due diligence. A small delay in exchange for ten years of labor peace is more than worth it. The lockout has been going on for four months. I don't get why people are making such a big deal about a four day wait.

The NFL is the one league that I really tend to sympathize with the players and it seems the owners are always up to dirty tricks. As for the bit of them being successful business men, I believe the bulk of NFL owners earned their money the old fashioned way.
They inherited it.

The NFL is the one league that I really tend to sympathize with the players and it seems the owners are always up to dirty tricks. As for the bit of them being successful business men, I believe the bulk of NFL owners earned their money the old fashioned way.
They inherited it.
Considering how they handled this situation from the very beginning, I tend to agree. But you don't even have to go that far. They talked about terms, then when the documents were drawn up, they took their time to make sure that the paperwork matched the conversations. It's a 400 page document that will dictate how they will be paid for the rest of their careers. Taking a few days to make sure everything was right isn't untoward in any way.

Apparently football season can't begin without Brett Favre "comeback" talk.
Yeah, it wouldn't be an offseason without Brett Favre's annual version of "The Decision". I kind of seen this coming though because there are gonna be quite a few starting-calibre QB's possibly finding new homes in the next couple of weeks. McNabb, Palmer, Orton, Hasselbeck, Young, Kolb, Smith, Delhomme could all possibly be wearing different uniforms this season, and that's just off the top of my head. With that many names out there, it probably seems only natural to throw Favre in there too

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Free agency is getting under way real quick. McNabb traded as expected, Hasselbeck to Titans, Holmes re-signs. Next up is Kevin Kolb & Kyle Orton. Still anxious to see where Asomougha is going to end up.

Free agency is getting under way real quick. McNabb traded as expected, Hasselbeck to Titans, Holmes re-signs. Next up is Kevin Kolb & Kyle Orton. Still anxious to see where Asomougha is going to end up.
I read either the Texans or the Jets. It'd be a huge signing for the Texans, as their CB's are horrible. If it's the Jets, Revis + Asomugha= best CB tandem ever?

I don't quite get why the Chargers can sign Weddle to the biggest contract ever signed by a safety and yet refuse to sign Jackson to a big deal. I'm not complaining about the Weddle signing because he's a very good safety, but I don't know what's going through A.J,'s mind half the time when it comes to retaining free agents. I hope Kevin Burnett gets locked up soon

EDIT: Also, Orton is rumored to be going to Miami. If it's true then I really like the move for the Dolphins. I actually like Miami and I have absolutely no confidence in Chad Henne. I don't see the point in trading for a player like Brandon Marshall if you're not even going to throw to him. If this goes down, I expect Marshall to have a huge year

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sidney Rice to Seattle. I wonder where Braylon Edwards is going to end up. I don't see him re signing with New York. He's a solid WR. And yeah, Asomougha and Revis = Jaw drop!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Interesting move by the Pats getting Albert. I think that will do him some good though. If playing for a playoff team like the Patriots won't get him motivated, I don't know what will.

It's pretty frustrating to always see the Pats on the winning end of all these trades the past few years. These are a bit risky though, especially with Mankins already being a bit of a distraction. I'm sure Belichick can keep Albert and Ochocinco in check though.

The Eagles made out like BANDITS in the Kolb trade. Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2nd round pick...for their backup QB that hasn't really shown much of anything, even while playing under a system that seems to make QB's appear better than they actually are in Andy Reid's. If they get DeSean back and Vick can stay healthy, I think they're capable of making it to the NFC title game. Not sure if they can beat Green Bay however

I thought AZ way overpaid too.

Pats are already overloaded at WR, if Moss wants to play for cheap that could happen he'll be on a short leash though. Finding out that Haynesworth is pretty much all paid for by the Redskins makes me like that deal a lot more, no guaranteed money his way from the Pats so if he can't clean up his act he is gone for a late pick.

Excited that the Chiefs signed Steve Breaston, i hope his knee injury he had last year doesn't become a recurring thing, but I like the overall look of the young receiving core now....Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin......KILLER B's!!!!!

I thought AZ way overpaid too.

Pats are already overloaded at WR, if Moss wants to play for cheap that could happen he'll be on a short leash though. Finding out that Haynesworth is pretty much all paid for by the Redskins makes me like that deal a lot more, no guaranteed money his way from the Pats so if he can't clean up his act he is gone for a late pick.

I see what you're saying about the overload at WR, I just want Brady to have lots of targets to throw to this upcoming season. I really want the Pats to demolish the Jets this year. Let's hope Haynesworth works out cuz he could make the Pats D awesome.

Crabtree out for 6 weeks. Starting to get a little annoyed by him. We need to go out and sign a legit wide out.

At least Crabs is not missing the whole season. I just wanna see him in Harbs offense.

I'm still not sure if he is only a competent WR or if he is a beast playmaker (like I thought he would be when he was drafted).