The NFL Discussion Thread - 2011/12

Not a Niners fan but love that win for them. Eagles DEAD LAST in NFC East.

What about those Detroit Lions? I am officially on their bandwagon. You could credit this W to Tony Romo but this is the 2nd week in a row where Detroit were dead in the water and came back to win. To be fair, McNabb was the QB last week. Stafford is looking pretty good for the most part, and Megatron IMO has passed 'Dre as best receiver in the league

Niners!!!!! And think, if we wouldn't have choked away the Cowboy game, we'd be 4-0!!!

Way our division looks, we need 5 wins in the next 12 to lock things up. :D

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Not a Niners fan but love that win for them. Eagles DEAD LAST in NFC East.

What about those Detroit Lions? I am officially on their bandwagon. You could credit this W to Tony Romo but this is the 2nd week in a row where Detroit were dead in the water and came back to win. To be fair, McNabb was the QB last week. Stafford is looking pretty good for the most part, and Megatron IMO has passed 'Dre as best receiver in the league
I haven't been watching Detroit play but I've been pretty high on them since I saw Stafford first play, I knew if he could stay healthy they had a keeper. On the flip side I'm a little surprised at how much the Rams have regressed, though again I am not getting to watch many games.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think it's fair to say Detroit is a legit team in the NFC. As for the Ravens, wow...they are just incredible, Flacco needs to get his ish together because that team should be in the superbowl this year, IMO.

I haven't been watching Detroit play but I've been pretty high on them since I saw Stafford first play, I knew if he could stay healthy they had a keeper. On the flip side I'm a little surprised at how much the Rams have regressed, though again I am not getting to watch many games.
The Rams are absolutely horrible. I've watched 2 of their games (both without S-Jax however) and they are just a mess. I actually picked them to win the NFC West but they will finish last if they don't get their act together soon. I dropped Sam Bradford in 2 of my fantasy leagues. Even Tarvaris Jackson is looking better than him at this point.

And agreed about the Ravens. As of right now it looks like they're on a collision course with the Packers for a Superbowl appearance. Still plenty of games to play yet though

Great win. They've gotten those first two touchdowns before, but the third was the iffy one. And even when they have come all the way back in recent years it seems they end up losing anyway, so that play by Justin Smith was huge.

I don't think we know whether the team is good yet, though. They were outplayed here and just did a better job of not making mistakes. So it was a fun win and an early two game lead is nice, but I can't quite get excited overall yet.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great win. They've gotten those first two touchdowns before, but the third was the iffy one. And even when they have come all the way back in recent years it seems they end up losing anyway, so that play by Justin Smith was huge.

I don't think we know whether the team is good yet, though. They were outplayed here and just did a better job of not making mistakes. So it was a fun win and an early two game lead is nice, but I can't quite get excited overall yet.
I figure I might as well ride the excitement while I can. If I've learned anything over the years as a 49er (and King) fan, it's that you savor the good moments when and while you can, cause you never know when they'll come around again.

I figure I might as well ride the excitement while I can. If I've learned anything over the years as a 49er (and King) fan, it's that you savor the good moments when and while you can, cause you never know when they'll come around again.
Exactly. We don't know yet whether this win means anything for future, so I'm happy to enjoy it for what it was. A great comeback and an exciting game that went our way in the end. :)

For some reason was wondering today...what happened to Shaun Alexander? He went from being a top back a few years ago to completely off the map. Did he ever re-surface anywhere like Larry Johnson has or did he just vanish after Seattle released him?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
He went to the Redskins and got like 11 carries in 2008 was released and never played again. At that point he was like 31 which is pretty old for a RB.

Niners clicking on all cylinders in blow out (so far) of Bucs - 41-3 in 3rd Q! A confident Alex Smith now finally showing what he can do with finally the right coach, finally the right O line and finally not having to endure endless O coordinator change. Wow!! Go 49ers!!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I have always looked at the excuses made for Smith with skepticism. I understood his problems but then an excuse is an excuse. Turns out maybe the excuses were accurate. Wow! What a whirlwind game and a half. The running game opens up when the passer has to be respected. I also noticed the offensive line seems more disciplined. It all works hand in hand on offense of course. The defense has always been decent and with all the new defensive backs, they have struggled with familiarity with each other. Maybe not so much now.

Any way, "Whooopppeeee!."

Finally we have a real football team in the West Bay and I love it.

Still savoring. ;)

Only caught the last couple minutes of the game, but I like it!
You were one of the lucky ones who got to miss out on all the horrible officiating. When the Refs are seen more than the game, then something is wrong.

Great win for the Niners, though. It is getting harder and harder for all the nay sayers to keep pointing to their schedule as a reason for their success. 3 road wins can't be scoffed at, not to mention quality wins over both Tampa Bay and Detroit. And with Cincy now at 4-2, we could probably put them in that category as well.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
What a difference a coach makes. This is a bit hard to believe. I'll struggle with that issue.

I love the jumbo offense with Sapoaga lining up as a blocking back. Whether he can block or not is almost secondary to the fear he must strike in the hearts of corner backs.

Harbough's temper/enthisiasm may alienate him from a lot of opposing coaches but who cares? :)

I love the jumbo offense with Sapoaga lining up as a blocking back. Whether he can block or not is almost secondary to the fear he must strike in the hearts of corner backs.
Not just Sopoaga, but they bring in two (I think) extra linemen. So they have 7 offensive linemen, Vernon Davis tight end, Sopoaga as fullback, Gore as running back, and Smith at QB. Maybe instead of 7 linemen they have 6 plus Peelle as a blocking tight end, I don't remember exactly. But still... that's a lot of beef. Then they just plow through everybody and get the first down. :)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not just Sopoaga, but they bring in two (I think) extra linemen. So they have 7 offensive linemen, Vernon Davis tight end, Sopoaga as fullback, Gore as running back, and Smith at QB. Maybe instead of 7 linemen they have 6 plus Peelle as a blocking tight end, I don't remember exactly. But still... that's a lot of beef. Then they just plow through everybody and get the first down. :)
I think they use three tight ends depending on what you call Miller. Everyone knows where the runner is going but still are at a disadvantage. If I was Gore, I'd grab onto Sapoaga's pants and watch to see which way his man went and head the other way. It's fun to watch.

BTW, Aldon Smith may be our first real live great pass rusher in recent memory. He has to adjust to being a linebacker but I suspect when he is in the lineup it's not to drop back into coverage. There's a lot of talent on this team and the only guy I ever really worried about was Alex Smith. Am I alone? Doubt it. :)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Harbough's temper/enthisiasm may alienate him from a lot of opposing coaches but who cares? :)
I really like him, which I have said dozens of times. Stanford football is probably my #2 school and I was hoping Denver would have landed him. But its nice to see a 9ers resurgence even if I never was a huge fan. I was a bit miffed the way the media runs with the Lions coach is a wuss angle when Bill Belichick gets crucified for a "frosty handshake" or not shaking someone's hand at all. But hey.

Well the refs just clinched the game for the Jets with that horrible PI call on a crucial 3rd down. I hate when calls like that determine the outcomes of games. That wouldn't be PI against Revis