"The more Kings change, the worse they get" by Ric Bucher, ESPN

A week away from the start of the season, it's easier to say what the Sacramento Kings are not, than what they are. They are not deep and versatile. They are not one happy, tight-knit family. They are not, once again, injury-free.

So what they are, then, is kidding themselves -- if they believe none of that matters.

Peja Stojakovic, for one, knows it does. That's why the All-Star small forward suggested both he and the Kings would be best served if they moved him. Stojakovic said he's committed to playing hard, but with his close friend and mentor Vlade Divac going to the Lakers, the distance between him and the rest of his teammates was palpable during the Kings' week-long, two-game tour of the People's Republic of China with the Houston Rockets.

"It would be a fresh start for everybody," he said during the trip. "They could get new blood and I would get a new challenge to energize me."

The Kings already have added some new blood that, on paper, would appear to address their weaknesses from a year ago. Rookie Kevin Martin, while not having the length of Doug Christie, displayed similar quickness, instinct and tenacity to slow down Tracy McGrady in the two games against the Rockets. Center Greg Ostertag averaged 1.8 blocked shots last season, which is nearly twice what Divac produced. David Bluthenthal, a dead-eye long-range shooter with all the mental toughness acquired from winning the 2004 Euroleague Championship with Maccabi Tel Aviv last spring, replaced the athletic-but-erratic Gerald Wallace.

And yet the Kings were one buzzer-beating behind-the-backboard baseline jumper by Bobby Jackson in Beijing from starting the exhibition season 0-5. Martin has to be Christie, who has been out all preseason with plantar fascitis and won't be ready for the season opener. Ostertag broke his hand and could be out until mid-November. Bluthenthal has shot a miserable 30 percent overall and 18 percent from behind the three-point arc. As a whole, the Kings' vaunted offense has scored only 86 points a game and shot 38 percent, second-worst only to Atlanta.

Then there's Chris Webber, who has been an absolute master of mixed messages. In an August Q&A with the Sacramento Bee, he seemed to indicate that Stojakovic wasn't mentally tough, Divac didn't work hard enough and that he planned to personally instill a no-nonsense attitude, even if it meant upsetting certain teammates. But once he arrived at training camp he said he just wanted "to have fun" and did just that in China, goofing on reporters at the post-game press conferences by turning his video camera on them. Despite looking completely recovered from the knee surgery that still hobbled him after his return last season, he had only one blocked shot in his first 97 preseason minutes.

And as one sports psychologist told the Bee about Webber's attempts to be the team drill sergeant: "If you're trying to be something you're not, it seems not to hold up. Things like chemistry can suffer."

It's hard to completely dismiss the Kings because they still have a load of talent. Mike Bibby and Jackson remain a lethal one-two punch at point guard. Brad Miller played Yao Ming even up in two games. Darius Songaila, awarded minutes with Ostertag out, ticks off at least one opposing big man per game and provides the toughness Webber insists has been missing. Webber is taking and making more shots in the post and still fills a box score with the best of them.

But the malaise around this team is obvious. They had more talent and better chemistry the last two years and couldn't seal the deal on a championship. They're $20 million over the salary cap and still waiting for approval to replace bandbox Arco Arena. While everyone isn't as direct as Peja, the window on their title chances seems to get a little smaller every year. And there's no slope slipperier than contending for a title, falling short, and then having to train your sights on some lesser goal. How motivated is any team shooting for a lesser target?

Granted, preseason records can be misleading because a lot of coaches use players on the bubble in the final deciding minutes to see what they can do. Coach Rick Adelman has done his share of that. But he's also well aware that the Kings are fragile right now and open the regular season with five of their first six games on the road, including a three-game swing through Texas. He's on shaky ground as well, being in the last year of his contract and having had his attempts to nail down an extension before the season starts rebuffed.

"There are just a lot of things about us up in the air right now," he said, "but I think we'll be OK."

There was a time when "OK" wasn't nearly good enough for the Kings. But that's something else they're not -- those Kings.

Ric Bucher covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine and collaborated with Rockets center Yao Ming on "Yao: A Life In Two Worlds," published by Miramax and available in bookstores beginning Sept. 29. Click here to send him a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2004/columns/story?columnist=bucher_ric&id=1910488

he's blowing things out of proportion and making the Kings sound like the only team with problems.

i'd like to take him out to dinner and poison his drink

punisher said:
Peja Stojakovic, for one, knows it does. That's why the All-Star small forward suggested both he and the Kings would be best served if they moved him. Stojakovic said he's committed to playing hard, but with his close friend and mentor Vlade Divac going to the Lakers, the distance between him and the rest of his teammates was palpable during the Kings' week-long, two-game tour of the People's Republic of China with the Houston Rockets.

"It would be a fresh start for everybody," he said during the trip. "They could get new blood and I would get a new challenge to energize me."

Interesting. I thought everyone appeared to be getting along well. Maybe I am not sensitive to "palpable" distances.!

They are not deep and versatile.
why would this matter when adelman only uses a 7 man rotation in the PO's anyway?

They are not one happy, tight-knit family.
*sigh* please allow me to introduce the 'beating a dead horse' smilie.

They are not, once again, injury-free.
dude.....it's october. I also find it interesting that this writer is gauging our team by (basically) how well our rooks and FAs have done in the preseason.

And as one sports psychologist told the Bee about Webber's attempts to be the team drill sergeant: "If you're trying to be something you're not, it seems not to hold up. Things like chemistry can suffer."
Using a quote from an article that was off to begin with to make a point... More proof writers read local papers and then put their own spin on it, they don't even do any or their own research.

I won’t even bother to bring up the other holes in this argument.

Rookie Kevin Martin, while not having the length of Doug Christie,......

bibbyweb said:
Could someone explain me that?
I think he means long, as in defensively - long arms, ability to physically cover more of his opponent... CWebb has historically been described as "long"

Zaromas said:
Rookie Kevin Martin, while not having the length of Doug Christie,......

I think he means long, as in defensively - long arms, ability to physically cover more of his opponent... CWebb has historically been described as "long"
Well Doug is 6'6" and Martin is 6'7". Probably longer arms. Martin I thought has has pretty long arms. May be becasue he is skinny, it looks like that.

Wow guys. Don't take all his critiques personally. It's not hard to see where he's coming from, although he's more one sided and inaccurate than he should be. He's not the devil. What to you expect? For him to say that everything is fine and dandy in Kings' World. Granted, he was way off in his remarks about Webber and Peja's antics in China (which seemed to show the two do not hate each other, not the other way around). And he even admitted that the preseason record he criticised was misleading. Still, he doesn't have a personal vendetta against the Kings, he's just silightly misinformed or taking all of the offseason's moves a different way than we would as Kings fans. The only thing I don't like is that I would expect more insight from a national media column.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bucher has rarely IF EVER said anything good about the Kings, so this article comes as no surprise at all.

He conveniently forgets to acknowledge that Pedja also made it clear that if he wasn't traded that he would play his very best for the Kings. "I have a contract," Pedja said. (paraphrased) "I'll do my best for whatever team I play for." (Also paraphrased.)

Let's do a little break-down (just because I'm waiting for the game to start):

Ah, so it's Vlade leaving that caused Pedja to be so upset, and not anything Webber said?

The Kings already have added some new blood that, on paper, would appear to address their weaknesses from a year ago. Rookie Kevin Martin, while not having the length of Doug Christie, displayed similar quickness, instinct and tenacity to slow down Tracy McGrady in the two games against the Rockets. Center Greg Ostertag averaged 1.8 blocked shots last season, which is nearly twice what Divac produced. David Bluthenthal, a dead-eye long-range shooter with all the mental toughness acquired from winning the 2004 Euroleague Championship with Maccabi Tel Aviv last spring, replaced the athletic-but-erratic Gerald Wallace.
Fair enough...

And yet the Kings were one buzzer-beating behind-the-backboard baseline jumper by Bobby Jackson in Beijing from starting the exhibition season 0-5.
Yes, with ample use of Kings players that weren't even backups, let alone starters...

Then there's Chris Webber, who has been an absolute master of mixed messages. In an August Q&A with the Sacramento Bee, he seemed to indicate that Stojakovic wasn't mentally tough, Divac didn't work hard enough and that he planned to personally instill a no-nonsense attitude, even if it meant upsetting certain teammates.
Seemed to indicate? Maybe true about Vlade but didn't see that about Pedja...

But the malaise around this team is obvious.
Funny. I know people who have been around the team and don't sense any malaise, except from certain media types.

Bobby, Doug, Chris, Pedja and Brad have all spoken publicly about what a load of crap has been said about the team by some media. While Bucher made a couple of decent points, he could have made it better by not repeating the old tired refrains.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Ric Bucher said:
And yet the Kings were one buzzer-beating behind-the-backboard baseline jumper by Bobby Jackson in Beijing from starting the exhibition season 0-5.
VF21 said:
Yes, with ample use of Kings players that weren't even backups, let alone starters...
Ric Bucher never let facts get in the way of a good argument before... why start now?

I just got through with reading, it seems like the same story over and over, by the King-Hatin Ric Bucher. He shouldn't use the King's preseason record as a justified prediction that the Kings are going to fall apart during the regular season. It's not like we played our starters throughout the game!!

i don't think he's saying the kings will fall apart... but he is right on many fronts. the kings are not a happy family they once were, i don't care who says they made up, times are differents and so are feelings. a handshake and a smile on tv doesn't mean players are happy. the kings are not deep as they were 2 years ago, but nobody expected them to be deep together, still he's right about that, and we're not healthy. that's not our fault though, we just never seem to have luck with injuries, but it's true. the fact that we won't have players there for the opening for the season (which is BRUTAL by the way) certanly isn't going to help none.

I don't think anyone should be suprised by this article though, bucher isn't really a king lover in any way... :(

what a load of crap. i want my 50 seconds back!!!!

let me guess, he picks the lakers and the mavs over the kings :rolleyes:

so what, we had a lousy preseason. it's just that PRE SEASON!!! who cares!!!! as if that is an indcator of how the season is going to be. not to mention rick played the rookies and invitees most of the time. and we aren't healthy right now. we will be better when doug and greg get back.

until this season i never seen so many people worry over preseason ball...and well this is the first time since being a fan that ive heard so much about preseason ball.

i personally don't count too much on the preseason...cuz usually things change for the teams come tip of the NBA new year....as for Bucher i didn't expect anything more than what he just put out...he's the worst when it comes to analyzing the NBA the teams, players and coaches. Im sick of hearing about the same things as far as injuries go....like all 30 nba teams have injury problems right now....im not too worried

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
iheartBrad said:
until this season i never seen so many people worry over preseason ball...and well this is the first time since being a fan that ive heard so much about preseason ball.
its funny that you mention that -- was thinking the same thing yesterday. Think some of it is just the unprecedented (in the modern Kings era at least) comeptition for spots in camp. But more than that its just a lot of people really grasping at anything they can to resolve the uncertainty about the Kings. Problem is, you CAN'T resolve anything from preseason -- couldn't last year or the year before, can't now. Its just a very poor indicator of anything. We can see that Webb is movin better. We can tell which guys are likely to make the team. But as a predicator of team success over the course of the season? Hardly. The Pistons were 4-4 in preseason last year. And all they did was win the title.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
its funny that you mention that -- was thinking the same thing yesterday. Think some of it is just the unprecedented (in the modern Kings era at least) comeptition for spots in camp. But more than that its just a lot of people really grasping at anything they can to resolve the uncertainty about the Kings. Problem is, you CAN'T resolve anything from preseason -- couldn't last year or the year before, can't now. Its just a very poor indicator of anything. We can see that Webb is movin better. We can tell which guys are likely to make the team. But as a predicator of team success over the course of the season? Hardly. The Pistons were 4-4 in preseason last year. And all they did was win the title.
They did trade for R. Wallace.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
piksi said:
They did trade for R. Wallace.
Yes they did. And that elevated them from good to very good. But they were already the 2nd best team in the East even before they got him. And this year with him they are all of 3-4.

In any case, I just threw them out there as an example. San Antonio is 3-3 this preseason, was 4-4 last year as well. The Lakers and Indiana were both 3-5 last year as well. Preseason has never meant squat. Teams use it for different things. And winning is rarely a significant concern.

Last edited:
instead of flappin your gums about what were doing in a few meaningless games, why don't you get your notepad and pencil so you can take notes on what were about to do when it counts.

Bricklayer said:
Yes they did. And that elevated them from good to very good. But they were already the 2nd best team in the East even before they got him. And this year with him they are all of 3-4.

In any case, I just threw them out there as an example. San Antonio is 3-3 this preseason, was 4-4 last year as well. The Lakers and Indiana were both 3-5 last year as well. Preseason has never meant squat. Teams use it for different things. And winning is rarely a significant concern.
I think you've touched on this in other threads, but to me it's not the record that is the concern about the preseason play of the Kings, but the actual play. It's been downright atrocious, even when the Kings have tried to man-up and go with their potential starting lineup.

And these last two losses to Dallas and Phoenix were just listless performances basically from top to bottom of the Kings' roster that will actually see significant game time during the regular season.

As for Bucher, he put a negative spin on the situation, but to me it's not as if his comments are blatantly incorrect, and his assumptions could in fact prove to be true once the season gets rolling. I don't want that to happen, nor do I think it will, but that is certainly not a reliable indicator of what will actually occur.

well, if we were to fully trust in this article and swear by it, I guess we can't expect Kings to do much this season at all...... maybe be second last in the west......

Season hasn't even started and he is already making it seem like a complete disaster year.....Gee.....