The MMA thread

Bobby Lashley defeats Bob Sapp in the first round via Tapout due to punches.

So, Lashley is now 4-0 and handled his 'best' competition easily.
Question...

Is Lashley going to be legit?

Or is Sapp even more of a joke I thought he was?

And is there ever a chance for every WWE fans dream of Lesnar/Lashley headlining UFC109!?
:p

I'll have to check that out on youtube.

I hate the 'wwe guys cant fight' stereotype .. There 'sport' is fake, but those guys are athletes ... before Lesnar and Lashley were in the WWE, they were world class wrestlers, show them how to punch and you have a good fighter .. Just looking at Lesnars body and then hearing him speak and realizing he wasnt just a meat head you could tell he had serious potential and look at him now. It seems like people try and out think themselves when it comes to analyzing a fighter. If he has a good brain and a huge body with a very good wrestling backround, he is going to be good, you dont throw that away because he chose to make some money with Vince.

Lashley still has a lot to prove, but he has the tools, thats for sure.

I wish he would participate on this season of TUF, there doing heavywieghts and Kimbo Slice is going to be a part of it.

Yeah Lesnar wasn't long making it to the top. He's not gonna stay there for too long I don't think though, he still has a lot to learn about the UFC. Thing is, I can't think of many people in the heavyweight division that could beat em.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think Mir's pretty much a coinflip but aside from that the heavyweight division is so weak on top of the fact that Brock's really a natural super heavy.

I have never sprung for a PPV and only seen one or two live at friends but I'd really like to see UFC 100. Problem is I'll be down in NorCal that weekend and with my wife's family on Saturday.

Yeah Mir and Lesnar should be a good one I think. Cro Cop comes to mind as another potential challenger. I can't remember the last time I even saw him fight though :confused:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
CroCop is out of UFC again after his fight this month. Dana says he screwed him (promised he'd sign a longer contract after a 1 fight deal) so you can pretty much count on a) not seeing CroCop back and b) not seeing any 1 fight deals in the future, which probably kills any chance of Fedor coming over.

I'm not a UFC fan, but an MMA fan.

Fedor is the greatest MMA fighter ever and IMO the greatest fighter in general. I hate the way Dana White conducts business and how unprofessional he is. The man cant speak without throwing the f-bomb every other word.
I respect all the UFC fighters, but cant stand the organization.

He tries to make it seem like the UFC is the only organization in the world that has legit fighters.

I was glad when the kimbo hype train crashed, but Dana after talking so much smack on Kimbo, lets him on the Ultimate Fighter.

The sport of MMA is gaining more attention, but IMO is attracting the wrong kinds of people with an incorrect mindset.

That is it.

CroCop is out of UFC again after his fight this month. Dana says he screwed him (promised he'd sign a longer contract after a 1 fight deal) so you can pretty much count on a) not seeing CroCop back and b) not seeing any 1 fight deals in the future, which probably kills any chance of Fedor coming over.
fedor has no need to fight in the ufc

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think UFC fighters should get paid a little better than they do given PPV buy rates of MMA and Boxing but if the Ali act were applied to MMA it would destroy the sport.

Dana White's public persona is a total d-bag to be sure but he's really done wonders to grow the sport. I don't think the UFC would be better off without him at all.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I ordered UFC100 and a few friends and my dad watched all the action.
This was the first time I have ever purchased a UFC PPV so I was pretty psyched!

1: I was VERY disappointed that Mark Coleman Vs. Stephan Bonner was on the undercard...I would have MUCH rather had that then the Belcher or Fitch fights.

The Belcher/"Sexyama" fight was not what I hoped. The way "Sexyama" was being hyped, I hoped for either an upset or a quick KO...Instead we got the upsetter get robbed. How did a judge score this one 30-27?? I was SURE Belcher won 2 rounds.

Hendo CRUSHED Bisping! Awesome! I can't stand Bisping and seeing him out COLD for some 2 minutes was great! Cheap shot after the clear KO notwithstanding, Hendo looked great!

Hendo/Silva next?

GSP dominated Thiago Alves: This was part one of my arguing with friends. All my buds thought Alves was just to big and to strong for GSP and would end his reighn. NOPE! Seeing GSP doinate, taking down at will, and staying composed through a pulled groin for 2 rounds was freaing awesome.

And a side note, I really hated how Alves balooned up to 190lbs on fight day. If youre fighting in the 175lb weight class, stay near your weight. And it was all the more gratifying seeing the bigger 'stronger' guy get OWNED.

Lesnar/Mir: More in house bickering. Everyone was SURE Mir was going to tap Lesnar again. I claimed that Mir's first win was a fluke, and Lesnar foolishly stumbled into the knee bar after an unneeded standup and rest period for Mir.

Well, I was gloating at the end of the night as Lesnar did the SAME thing as the last fight, and *GASP* finished the fight because the ref didn't see phantom intentional punches to the back of the head.
Eat that Mir, and SHUT THAT MOUTH!

And of course Lesnar was booed out of the building as the WWE guy defeated the UFC guy.

And Lesnar cut a Heel WWE promo making an *** out of himself as I laugh in my friends faces!

I can't wait for the next BIG card! No way Im spending 50$ a month, but it's WELL worth the big cards..

Awesome night!
:p

I never got to see it, but I check the UFC website the day after the cards (or I go to a bar to watch it) and I am glad to see Hendo and GSP win. I also dislike Bisping and was glad to see Henderson take him out. And I hope people continue to underrate GSP, because the guy is a beast. I think he's the best fighter in his class, and I don't know how people are still underrating him after this streak that he's on. As for Lesnar, I figured he'd win. The heavyweight division sucks with a few exceptions.

The next card isn't too good, but it's gonna be nice seeing Anderson Silva mop the floor with Forrest Griffin

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The next card looks better to me than what we're getting in Portland. Maybe I can win tickets, I was kind of shocked just to see face value of the garbage seats before you tack on all the junk fees that double or triple ticket costs.

I didn't watch 100 live but watched this morning, wasn't disappointed except perhaps by how dominant Brock was. I actually find neither guy particularly likeable the more they speak. Brock's post fight comments had me cracking up especially seeing he had to apologize for all of it. Loved Hendo's brutal KO, the "cheap shot" was pretty standard fare for a KO finish, the only difference is that Hendo landed it dead on. But you fight until the ref pulls you away. I guess I bought into the hype on Alves-GSP, I thought it would be a good 2-way affair. GSP looked like he could beat Alves with a hand tied behind his back. The prelim fighter I wanted to see was Jon Jones.

^Awesome.

I don''t see anything dirty about that punch to be honest. You're supposed to continue fighting until the refs stop the fight. In basketball terms, it's like Antoine Wright giving up defensively against the Nuggets :D

SLAB

Hall of Famer
^Awesome.

I don''t see anything dirty about that punch to be honest. You're supposed to continue fighting until the refs stop the fight. In basketball terms, it's like Antoine Wright giving up defensively against the Nuggets :D
It's because post fight he said something along the lines of, "I knew he was out, I just needed to get another one to shut him up some more."

That's why it was 'dirty.'

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
He also followed up on it in the press conference afterwards saying that he had to go until the ref makes a stoppage and cited past instances where a stoppage wasn't made and the guy who hesitated lost the fight. The final blow was clearly unnecessary but its also the norm for the sport. You don't get the benefit of replays and multiple angles in the split second it takes to make a decision whether or not to finish.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not a big MMA fan; maybe it's just me, but it seems as though a lot of it starts to look the same after a while.

I did get a kick out of this, though:

[yt=Check out 2:45]e0KfQE2-ZqA[/yt]

I loved how his entourage came into the ring like they just got the hot tag in a pro-wrestling match... :D

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Not a big MMA fan; maybe it's just me, but it seems as though a lot of it starts to look the same after a while.
Not that I expect to sway you, but if you haven't watched a lot recently it might be worth giving it a re-try. I watched the early UFCs for the spectacle back when I first heard about them in the early 90s on the pro-wrestling usenet group after a while I moved on. I would check in now and again but it really seems in the past couple of years it has finally reached its full potential with tons of evenly matched fighters who are familiar with a variety of styles. Spike airs the unleashed shows many times a week and its a great way to watch a ton of fights in a short time.

UFC 100 was my first PPV in about 3 years (Hughes/Gracie was the last I saw live) and I'm sure everyone would agree that the 3 main event fights were all very distinct and unique. Of course not every card is that stacked or lives up to the hype, but neither do boxing or wrestling.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Everybody wants to see Lesnar get his butt kicked. I think I'd like to see Lesnar fight Carwin first but you wouldn't want to jeopardize the Lesnar/Fedor card.

Last I heard Fedor and his manager wanted Fedor's leauge to be a partner with UFC in order for any fight to be scheduled, and they have not budged from that stance. Dana White sent a counter proposal but Fedor shot it down. Chances are this won't happen unless some major *** kissing is done both ways. Fedor does not really have any big names to fight to draw big money outside of the UFC here in the states... MMA is not really that huge mainstream outside of UFC. Look at Kimbo Slice... everybody wanted to see him, they billed him as the guy with the iron chin, a bad *** who would carve up MMA because he was the strongest. It took an unkown and 14 seconds to get rid of that pipe dream. If Fedor wants a big payday he needs to make this fight with Lesnar happen NOW. All it's going to take is one lucky shot to knock this down as the "great" fight everyone is billing it out to be.

BTW, Fedor would eat him alive. He's a fighter. Lesnar is still raw. Mir never stood a chance, either in the first fight or the most current one. Both Lesnar and Fedor are at their peak, and both can only go down the more fights they accumulate, and the fact that they are not really that young. Lesnar can't catch up to Fedor in terms of experience, and throwing him out against weak heavyweight opposition seems like overkill. He has no match in that weight class.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Tito Ortiz is back in the UFC! Nice to hear, and you gotta wonder who he's going to fight and if he has anything left.

UFC101 is also a week away! I hope BJ Penn gets slaughtered. There's just something about him that I don't like. I also hope Forrest Griffin can take Silva, but I don't see that happening. At all.

I still have belief that the UFC/Dana White will sign Fedor, despite the crazy demands by M1 Global. I really dislike Dana White (very unprofessional, arrogant, pompeous, trashy individual), but from what I heard, what Fedor's manager (Vadim Finkelstein, co-owner of M1 Global) is demanding is pretty much unacceptable. I still think they'll get this resolved, as its really in both their interests to come to an agreement.

On another note, I can't wait to watch Wanderlei at 185. Yeah...he's washed up, and certainly not the same, ferocious fighter that he was years ago, but his fights are still the most exciting (win or lose), bar none.