The Last Summer Scoop from nba.com/kings/

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well, Nailon or Augmon? Ugh.

Nailon is a scorer though. That's all he is, but he can do that. Started in Charlotte/New Orleans, but what's the connection now? Is he back in their camp? Guess given our preference of guys who can score he might give Adelman enough confidence to give Peja that 10mpg of rest we've been looking for.

Augmon might bring some of that swingman defense that we would want. but really now, guy should just retire. He's 36 I think. And having your team defense centered around the two oldest players on the roster is a bit scary. See Payton, Gary, for what happens to the defense of old guys as they lose their quickness. At which point a guy like Augmon is totally worthless.

Alexander would be an interesting pickup. A couple of years back he looked like an emerging scorer in the league, is still young, and despite his horrid season last year still has some talent. But he's really a pure OG, and having a young guy there could really stunt Martin. He's also a knucklehead who's never figured out that if he scores 10, and his opponent scores 15, he's useless. He'd be the softest/skinniest SF in the league if we tried to use him there.

Williams is a tweener guard who can hit the three and has a little clutch in him. He wouldn't be an impossibly bad choice for a 3rd PG if we decided to go that way. But he's a pretty marginal player. And if we brought him in things would look grim for Minard -- hard to carry FOUR small guards on one team.

Anyway, New Orleans' bench was a complete joke last year -- old washed nobodies and young never willbes. That game when they came into Arco all banged up and having to start their bench guys was one of the worst starting lineups I'd seen since the Kings 90-91 season when we tried to trot out Rory Sparrow, Bobby Hansen, Lionel Simmons, Wayman Tisdale and Bill Wennington and call it an NBA team. Not terribly excited about picking up one of their bench guys in an effort to "improve" ours.

Bricklayer said:
Well, Nailon or Augmon? Ugh.

Nailon is a scorer though. That's all he is, but he can do that. Started in Charlotte/New Orleans, but what's the connection now? Is he back in their camp? Guess given our preference of guys who can score he might give Adelman enough confidence to give Peja that 10mpg of rest we've been looking for.

Augmon might bring some of that swingman defense that we would want. but really now, guy should just retire. He's 36 I think. And having your team defense centered around the two oldest players on the roster is a bit scary. See Payton, Gary, for what happens to the defense of old guys as they lose their quickness. At which point a guy like Augmon is totally worthless.

Alexander would be an interesting pickup. A couple of years back he looked like an emerging scorer in the league, is still young, and despite his horrid season last year still has some talent. But he's really a pure OG, and having a young guy there could really stunt Martin. He's also a knucklehead who's never figured out that if he scores 10, and his opponent scores 15, he's useless. He'd be the softest/skinniest SF in the league if we tried to use him there.

Williams is a tweener guard who can hit the three and has a little clutch in him. He wouldn't be an impossibly bad choice for a 3rd PG if we decided to go that way. But he's a pretty marginal player. And if we brought him in things would look grim for Minard -- hard to carry FOUR small guards on one team.

Anyway, New Orleans' bench was a complete joke last year -- old washed nobodies and young never willbes. That game when they came into Arco all banged up and having to start their bench guys was one of the worst starting lineups I'd seen since the Kings 90-91 season when we tried to trot out Rory Sparrow, Bobby Hansen, Lionel Simmons, Wayman Tisdale and Bill Wennington and call it an NBA team. Not terribly excited about picking up one of their bench guys in an effort to "improve" ours.
89-90...and dont forget Big Ben Gillery*L*

The only NBA team that fits the description of "teal" is the New Orleans Hornets ..unless the writer is thinking of Memphis' jersey's last season (which were teal I believe)

From the Hornets:

Steve Smith and Stacy Augmon were signed. Traylor was also picked up (by Cavs). Courtney Alexander and Shammond are the only 2 options left, though I don't think these guys fit into the category of "recognizable NBA face", not to mention Alexander is a RFA. I guess it COULD be Shammond Williams, since he's been around for a little while, maybe playing a simlar role as Damon Jones did a couple years ago:confused:

From the Grizzlies (as mentioned before): Swift is the only option from there, since they already resigned Jake. But Swift is a RFA and the Kings don't have enough money to sign him to a contract that the Grizzlies wouldnt' match.

So ..using NBA teams only ..my prediction is : Shammond Williams ..i guess

Bricklayer

Greg Ostertag said:
The only NBA team that fits the description of "teal" is the New Orleans Hornets ..unless the writer is thinking of Memphis' jersey's last season (which were teal I believe)

From the Hornets:

Steve Smith and Stacy Augmon were signed. Traylor was also picked up (by Cavs). Courtney Alexander and Shammond are the only 2 options left, though I don't think these guys fit into the category of "recognizable NBA face", not to mention Alexander is a RFA. I guess it COULD be Shammond Williams, since he's been around for a little while, maybe playing a simlar role as Damon Jones did a couple years ago:confused:

From the Grizzlies (as mentioned before): Swift is the only option from there, since they already resigned Jake. But Swift is a RFA and the Kings don't have enough money to sign him to a contract that the Grizzlies wouldnt' match.

So ..using NBA teams only ..my prediction is : Shammond Williams ..i guess
Come on "Greg", you of all people should know -- just tell us who has been down practicing with you guys in recent days? ;)

As I mentioned about Shammond above, perfectly respectable 3rd PG type player. But if he's signed the sweeze is really going to be on Minard and certainly anybody else trying to make the roster as a guard. Bibby, Bobby, Shammond, Christie, Martin = 5 guards. Minard would be 6. And none of those guys is a natural 2/3 swingman type either.

P.S. Circa -- I think 89-90 was the Pervis year which preceded the disaster year. Went into that season sporting what looked like it might be a real NBA lineup with Kenny Smith and Ainge at the guards, McCray, Wayman, and Pervis across the frontline. But it fell apart before it even got going, and we just totally threw our hands up and trashed the whole team to bring in 4 new draft picks and a bunch of scrubs in 90-91 (all but one of the draft picks were scrubs too).
P.P.S. would have put Gillery in 87-88 or 88-89 but somehow I seem to have forgotten the exact dates of his storied career.

Bricklayer said:
Come on "Greg", you of all people should know -- just tell us who has been down practicing with you guys in recent days? ;)

As I mentioned about Shammond above, perfectly respectable 3rd PG type player. But if he's signed the sweeze is really going to be on Minard and certainly anybody else trying to make the roster as a guard. Bibby, Bobby, Shammond, Christie, Martin = 5 guards. Minard would be 6. And none of those guys is a natural 2/3 swingman type either.

P.S. Circa -- I think 89-90 was the Pervis year which preceded the disaster year. Went into that season sporting what looked like it might be a real NBA lineup with Kenny Smith and Ainge at the guards, McCray, Wayman, and Pervis across the frontline. But it fell apart before it even got going, and we just totally threw our hands up and trashed the whole team to bring in 4 new draft picks and a bunch of scrubs in 90-91 (all but one of the draft picks were scrubs too).
P.P.S. would have put Gillery in 87-88 or 88-89 but somehow I seem to have forgotten the exact dates of his storied career.
Didn't Shammond play college ball at Carolina??? That can be considered somewhat "tealish"....

I've figured it out, and if I'm right then I will be happy:

Dan Gadzuric

Played at UCLA(thus the teal mention) and some sights have him listed as a free agent, not a restricted free agent. RealGM says he is a free agent but hoopshype still has him on the Milwaukee roster. I know he was a second round pick 2 years ago thus he is supposed to be a free agent.

Very ahtletic big man who can block shots and rebound. Not very gifted offensively but if we get him for the minimum it's a great pick up.

Not sure who the "mystery" player may be.

However, looking at the roster don't we need another 4/5 type player? Given the fact that both Miller and Webber are history prone it seems that is the team's greatest need.

I would think that another guard or swing player would only be added if Christie's foot is more of a problem than we might think.

Just a thought.

Bricklayer

I would LOVE to have Gadzuric -- he's shown real flashes. But that seems kind of doubtful -- he's really too good to be a 5th big man. Can't imagine why he'd come here when he's a rotation player for a lot of teams.

FullAB said:
Dan Gadzuric?

I guess the definition of a recognizable NBA face is somewhat vague......
Yeah, I bet you couldnt line up 5 people in Sacramento that could say 'Yeah, I recognize that guy'(although I wouldnt mind having Gadzuric)

I wouldn't really count UCLA's color as teal ..if they're teal, then the Nuggets' jerseys should also be considered teal.And if we count the Nuggets: Then we could add Rodney White (jail) and Mark Pope (even less recognizable than Liu Wei to Kings fans) ..every other one of their FAs have been signed/resigned.

TWolves have a little teal in their logo and jerseys ..Then we could add Gary Trent, Derrick Martin (not likely, but a recognizable player to Kings fans), Oliver Miller (recognizable by satellite, but not likely either). But I guess TWolves don't have enough teal to have the writer put "think: teal".

The anticipation is killing me!

Last edited:
ReinadelosReys said:
This isn't fun...Now I am going to be wondering and wondering until its announced and then watch me be disappointed.:cool: I hate "surprises."
Agreed... Now I'm gonna be wondering until they sign this guy... Couldn't he have just told us?!

SacKings384 said:
Agreed... Now I'm gonna be wondering until they sign this guy... Couldn't he have just told us?!
I don't think he can tell us until everything is finalized and in ink. And if that was the case, I'm sure the AP would of leaked it by now. So hence, someone is very likely to be signed today or tomorrow and announced the same or next day.

I called Nailon in the other thread. Very possible. Swift would be awesome, but doubtful. We wouldn't have gotten Ostertag I dont' think if we intended to go after Swift as well.

UCLA isn't teal. North Carolina is blue as well. Any real teal possibilities? Must be the Hornets then...

LPKingsFan said:
I called Nailon in the other thread. Very possible. Swift would be awesome, but doubtful. We wouldn't have gotten Ostertag I dont' think if we intended to go after Swift as well.

UCLA isn't teal. North Carolina is blue as well. Any real teal possibilities? Must be the Hornets then...
My money is now on Glen Rice, as far fetched and un-needed as he sounds, I just have a feeling. RECOGNIZABLE face, TEAL...it could be no one else. Glen was on the Hornets for days, and he's recognizable and available.

you know what?......In my office here Glen Rice is the consesus as well......seems to fit the hint pretty well......and just like GP to grab someone like him....kinda like the way he did Jim Jackson. Although I'm not sure what Glen Rice has in his tank still. We'll see.

Bricklayer

Hard to imagine -- Glen Rice has appeared well and truly done for years now. Just a name now. Maybe Adelman would feel more comfortable with a name. But when said name averaged 3.7 ppg last year on 29% shooting, is 37 years old and has ruined knees, I have my doubts.