The Kings young core - is it enough?

High energy guys. At the very least, Kings are establishing an identity.
Yeah, ball is life for all these guys—no distractions. They’re all relentlessly competitive, smart grinders. It’s an interesting project, for sure. But, we have a RFA max slot this year, and two full max slots next year, so we can still add to the core. Anyone they add is going to be the same kind of baller.

I think it’s enough to be really good. I am really, really high on Bagley (although my heart still aches for TTP).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, ball is life for all these guys—no distractions. They’re all relentlessly competitive, smart grinders. It’s an interesting project, for sure. But, we have a RFA max slot this year, and two full max slots next year, so we can still add to the core. Anyone they add is going to be the same kind of baller.

I think it’s enough to be really good. I am really, really high on Bagley (although my heart still aches for TTP).
And that's what Vlade wants to build.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
2020 is another lottery selection, how high we won't know but for the time being, I like the core of Fox, Giles and Bagley....two we haven't seen a single minute and that's the exciting part

True. Stock is very high internally.

How Giles and Bagley play together is a huge part of our future for me. If they can compliment each other and form a great frontcourt then we are truely set.

Both are rookies, and should push each other.

The SF piece isn't even a worry for me. Hield will be able to start within the next 12 months easily and bogdonovic can slot in at SF if necessary. We can build a strong bench via free agency which we are set for financially well.

2020 is another lottery selection, how high we won't know but for the time being, I like the core of Fox, Giles and Bagley....two we haven't seen a single minute and that's the exciting part
I'm actually hopeful that we will be out of lottery that year, but I think I have been more optimistic than most about our kids and future (though getting out in the West is always going to be tough).

Also, this is not the complete core. We have tons of assets out of the five guys listed, including multiple players on rookie deals (Willie, Mason, Skal, Justin), a slew of expiring contracts, including some players who are solid contributors, multiple second round draft picks, that can be combined to move up a bit, and/or lots of cap space next year. Some of the other players on rookie deals also might grow into being part of the core, or, combined with some other assets, get us another critical piece. For example, Warriors didn't draft KD, but he is part of their core.

they're the underdogs, the team everyone else laughs at and takes jab after jab at.

But this isn't the same old kenny thomas Kings anymore..

they're young, theyre talented and they're hungry and i hope they use all the jabs as energy to unite the team and propel it forward.

The team has been in a dark position for way to long, but now you're slowly starting to see that light creep through.

Its been tough being a fan for like a decade now, but in the end when this team succeeds its going to feel so much sweeter for us fans that stuck through it all.

I believe in this group, and from what I can see they believe in themselves.

Lets get it!

Enough for what? To win the championship? no. They need more firepower!!!!

Valuable piece can be had in that 2020 draft, it seems far away but with how young this core it'll be a factor for sure.

Young players can still be signed. There's plenty of work to do.

If after a rebuilding process we depend on a rookie passed by most of the league FOs with big injuries past who didn't prove anything yet for real... Someone has done a really bad job.

There are still pieces that need to be added over the next couple of years. No doubt that we are a more talented team now than we were prior to the draft.

Bagley does have a superstar potential but he also has a lot to work on to get there.

It really depends on how the players that we have develop over the next 2-3 years.

I think best thing about this core is that they will have good chemistry on and off the court.. They are young, high energy, good character group of guys..

But to make a Playoffs they will need one more player at SF spot, young, good and one that fits with character.. Which is not easy to find..

What I expect in first half of the season is WCS and Shump to have big role. For WCS to see what he can bring to the team and to either pump up his trade value or to get a great player for future.. And for Shump just to pump up his trade value and get something decent before All Star..

Also I expect minutes with Bagley-Giles-WCS to see can that work or not.

But with one more good SF added to this core, this is a Playoff team in couple of years.. West is tough, it will take patience..

Fox (5th overall pick) - He has all star potential if he puts everything together though might miss out because he's in the west.
Hield (6th overall pick) - Probably not an all star but he does have the ability to shoot and scorer, perhaps he's our Kyle Korver or JJ Redick.
Bogdan Bogdanovic (27th overall pick) - Again he is probably not an all star but he is another player that can shoot and scorer the ball well, same as above could be a Korver or Redick like player for us.
Marvin Bagley (2nd overall pick) - All star potential, perhaps even superstar potential if he puts everything together.
Willie Cauley-Stein (6th overall pick) - He might not stay in the starting line up long term but he is a solid player that is continuing to improve. For him to stick long term he will need to develop a consistent outside shot and improve the rebounding and shot blocking side of his game.
Harry Giles (20th overall pick) - Now this kid is the wildcard. Number one ranked player in the 2016 high school class by ESPN and Rivals ranked him second. If he can overcome his injury woes and stay healthy while reaching his potential he could be a star talent.

Do we have enough to compete in the future?

We might have. We have four top six picks on the roster and two in the 20s that might turn in to something. If Fox and Bagley put everything together and reach all star caliber production, and we get solid production out of the other three starters, there is no reason why we can't emulate what the Utah Jazz have done in recent seasons and be a very good competitive team. Granted they aren't likely to get past the Warriors and Rockets, but I think a lot of us would be happy if our team became as good as Utah.

This is even discounting the possibility of adding players in free agency or through trades, and also the possibility of adding our Donovan Mitchell in 2020. You don't necessarily need a top five pick to get another franchise changing talent. Utah's big two, Mitchell and Gobert, were taken 13th and 27th respectively (both by Denver!). Denver's Gary Harris was the 19th pick and they hit a home run on Jokic in the second round. The Spurs found a talent that became an MVP candidate in Kawhi Leonard (15th overall), while the Bulls found a player that became an all star and one of the best two way talents in the league in Jimmy Butler with the last pick in the first round. There are plenty of examples of teams finding franchise changing talent outside those top picks, so if our team gets better next year let's say the 30 win range, and then improves to the late 30 win to .500 range - we can still potentially find contributors in the late lottery and even outside the lottery if our front office is smart and gets lucky. So while it would be nice to add another Bagley caliber guy in 2020 I don't think it is necessary and our aim from now on should be to get better and starting winning games and find other ways to add those contributors rather than high end draft picks.

I believe that it’s a good core and hopefully we lucked into a few stars in the making.
But Christy, Weber and Divac we did not draft. We do not have a Richmond to trade for a top asset.

But hopefully we can talk a few good free agents into coming aboard and then we hopefully are off to the races.

It's a pretty crap core in all honesty the ceiling is not that high and aside from Bogie we don't really know if anyone else is going to be consistent and solid at both ends. Buddy Hield who gets a ton of hype on here in his first two seasons sucked in games when something was on the line (e.g. first 50 games of the season) and than exploded when his team was completely out of contention playing in meaningless games towards the end against other bench players and lesser intensity games. Fox and Bagley have potential and I'm not buying the Giles hype I heard Papa was Marc Gasol and hearing Giles as Webber scares me and I just don't think Skal has any IQ for the game his decision making takes half an hour to process. WCS is fools gold has all the tools but zero consistency and heart.

The only three I would keep are Bogie/Fox/Bagley (maybe Giles depending) in saying alll that at least we got a bunch of guys aside WCS who will compete that's a step up from many more previously talented on paper Kings teams.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I wouldn’t be so sure about that
why is that? they play in the brutal West where a minimum of 45 wins is required to even be in playoff contention and I don't see anyone as of now making an immediate impact to help up that win total, they will need to learn to play together and Joerger also needs to let them loose and not chain them down to a halfcourt offense only.

It's a pretty crap core in all honesty the ceiling is not that high and aside from Bogie we don't really know if anyone else is going to be consistent and solid at both ends. Buddy Hield who gets a ton of hype on here in his first two seasons sucked in games when something was on the line (e.g. first 50 games of the season) and than exploded when his team was completely out of contention playing in meaningless games towards the end against other bench players and lesser intensity games. Fox and Bagley have potential and I'm not buying the Giles hype I heard Papa was Marc Gasol and hearing Giles as Webber scares me and I just don't think Skal has any IQ for the game his decision making takes half an hour to process. WCS is fools gold has all the tools but zero consistency and heart.

The only three I would keep are Bogie/Fox/Bagley (maybe Giles depending) in saying alll that at least we got a bunch of guys aside WCS who will compete that's a step up from many more previously talented on paper Kings teams.
You're a buzz kill

dude12

Hall of Famer
Young talent that works hard and wants to turn this around.....they are taking on that challenge and embracing it. Got to love that part. If Giles and Bagley can come in and start playing at rookie of year type levels then the buzz is going to grow

True. Stock is very high internally.

How Giles and Bagley play together is a huge part of our future for me. If they can compliment each other and form a great frontcourt then we are truely set.

Both are rookies, and should push each other.

The SF piece isn't even a worry for me. Hield will be able to start within the next 12 months easily and bogdonovic can slot in at SF if necessary. We can build a strong bench via free agency which we are set for financially well.
I think the Giles/Bogdan combination on the pick n roll and Ball screen will be very strong. Giles supposedly sets very good picks and he’s also a smart player. I expect he will screen and rescreen for Bogi in ways that will create open looks and rolls to the basket.

I think the Giles hype is real as it comes from too many players to be fake. I think his high basketball IQ will mesh really well with Bogi.

Buddy is not a player who responds well to pressure but he doesn’t need to be that guy. Both Bogi and Fox both love playing in those moments. The Kings were among the leaders in game winning shots. Buddy has a clear role to be scoring off the bench. He is comfortable and excels in that role, no need to mess with it.

The key to this core is Fox. He has to become more aware and a better shooter. He had a sub par rookie year but flashed potential at times.

This is the thing that I was talking about. There are many people talking about Giles as though he is a part of our core. Has he shown that he is ready to play basketball again after recovering from injury? Has he shown that he can even stay on an NBA roster? Harry Giles is an unknown to the point that you cant consider him to be a part of the core. We know very little about him.