The Kings young core - is it enough?

In Stephs' rookie year, he averaged around 17.5ppg 5.9apg on 46/43/88. In his 2nd year he averaged 18.6ppg 5.8apg on 48/44/93

The other guys didn't emerge yet, but Curry is better than anyone we have on our team. To start off a core, you need a franchise player.
He also played three years in college. It's fine to compare him to buddy and say that buddy's not there but fox still has another year before he's even at Steph's rookie year.

In Stephs' rookie year, he averaged around 17.5ppg 5.9apg on 46/43/88. In his 2nd year he averaged 18.6ppg 5.8apg on 48/44/93

The other guys didn't emerge yet, but Curry is better than anyone we have on our team. To start off a core, you need a franchise player.
people were upset when they handed him the keys and traded away monta and were second guessing resigning him due to him being injury prone. not many had him pegged as an mvp type player 1 year into his career.

Curry is better than almost anyone on any other team as well. Bagley and Giles have not had their rookie seasons yet. And all of our rookies became rookies earlier in their development cycle than Curry did (not that I'm saying they will reach a level Curry has)... but the roster is full of promise I believe. this is the year we will learn whether this team will be a competitive team in the future or whether the talent we collected is...not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

No, to start off a core you need 5 players. That's the crux of what Tony was saying. Our five players right now are as shown in the OP. He thens asks the question "Is that enough?" I think that's where people are drifting apart. You obviously (along with a number of others) don't think it is, for reasons including Giles unproven worth and the lack of anything we can definitely call a "franchise player."

I, on the other hand, think it's a good core to begin with. Certainly much better than what we've been seeing for the past decade or so.

You're missing the entire point of the thread. Our entire core is unproven. Our collection of talent included buddy, bogi, fox, Bagley, and Giles. These are the guys that project as long term fixtures in the rotation. Every one of them that doesn't work out sets the team back. We're hoping for a couple of all stars to emerge from that group with the rest developing into good role players. This is all about expectations.
I'm pointing out an inconsistency in the premise - that Giles is a "core" player. The onus is on Giles to prove his fitness level and become a core player. Core - meaning foundational. The entire core is not unproven, just Bagley and Giles. If you're talking about "expectations", use the word "expectations".

Did you even bother to read the initial post? Here let me quote for you:

De’Aaron Fox
Buddy Hield
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Marvin Bagley
Harry Giles

These are the Kings. The young talent acquisition phase is over. The Kings don’t have a pick next year. In 2020 they won’t be high lottery. This is it. This is the core. Is it enough? Idk.

---------------------------------------

If someone isn't grasping something, it's you. The premise is pretty obvious.
The premise is flawed to begin with! Holy Gizzabell! Giles is NOT a core player yet.....end of story, finito, thanks for playing.

Wow, The team has five young players with real NBA potential. All five could turn out to be superstars or all five could turn out to be roleplayers. The question of is the core enough, who knows? But the potential in our young core is high. Is it enough well of course not. There will be trades and there will be free agent signings and there will be more draft picks. Our core has high potential and like each other which means chemistry. Vlade is building this the right way. Has he made mistakes? yes. Will he make more? yes. Will the Suns beat us to the playoffs? maybe. The team is exciting and finally being built the right way. Some of you sure like to argue. You should put your resume together and send it to all the NBA teams. I am sure someone will hire you.

I suggest that "core" can mean whatever you want it to mean. In this case, our "core" as it is being used in this thread is about unproven young players we hope will take us to the promised land (or at least within sight of the promised land). Feel free to start your own thread in which "core" refers to proven players. Only you may not get far if it's about current Kings players.
If we want to start playing with word meanings, where up is down and down is up....fair enough - have fun.

Yes Giles and Bagley are unproven young players. To the original question, is that group of players enough - no. You have one added rookie. You saw what the team looked like last year, and I doubt it changes by leaps in bounds unless both Fox and Hield drastically improve their shooting.

If we want to start playing with word meanings, where up is down and down is up....fair enough - have fun.

Yes Giles and Bagley are unproven young players. To the original question, is that group of players enough - no. You have one added rookie. You saw what the team looked like last year, and I doubt it changes by leaps in bounds unless both Fox and Hield drastically improve their shooting.
What would you consider a good season next year? How many wins?

If Hield drastically improves his shooting Curry will have nothing on him ;).
I'm assuming you meant Giles/Bagley?

He also played three years in college. It's fine to compare him to buddy and say that buddy's not there but fox still has another year before he's even at Steph's rookie year.
Even though he went to college for 3yrs, he was only 21 when he entered the NBA. Fox was 19, and turned 20 in Decemeber of his rookie year. As you said, Fox has another year before he's at Steph's rookie year, but can he match up to his rookie year?

Buddy and Bogdan are old rookies.
No, to start off a core you need 5 players. That's the crux of what Tony was saying. Our five players right now are as shown in the OP. He thens asks the question "Is that enough?" I think that's where people are drifting apart. You obviously (along with a number of others) don't think it is, for reasons including Giles unproven worth and the lack of anything we can definitely call a "franchise player."

I, on the other hand, think it's a good core to begin with. Certainly much better than what we've been seeing for the past decade or so.
Ok, let's break down the Warriors 5 then. Let's start the year when Draymond and Barnes were rookies. That's 2012-2013.

Stephen Curry: 22.9pts 6.9asts 4.0rebs 45.1/45.3/90.0
DAVID LEE: 18.5pts 11.2rebs 3.5asts 51.9/0/79.7
Klay Thompson: 16.6pts 2.2asts 3.7rebs 42.2/40.1/84.1
Harrison Barnes: 9.2pts 4.1rebs 1.2asts 43.9/35.9/75.8
Draymond Green: 2.9pts 3.3rebs (barely played)

Since you say you need 5 players in your core, then this was the start of their "core" since they just drafted Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green. We have any players on the team who can put up those stats?

If Hield drastically improves his shooting Curry will have nothing on him ;).
I'm assuming you meant Giles/Bagley?
I saw games where Hield would be MIA in shooting - you know like 2/11 in 20 min of play which he needs to work on keeping to a minimum. Every player has a bad shooting night. They need Hield to become the swagger player, and he's the one who imo can.

I saw games where Hield would be MIA in shooting - you know like 2/11 in 20 min of play which he needs to work on keeping to a minimum. Every player has a bad shooting night. They need Hield to become the swagger player, and he's the one who imo can.
true, he was inconsistent early on, but still ended up with high averages which means that in addition to cold spells he was also going through hot streaks. His shot should be more reliable this season (is the hope).

true, he was inconsistent early on, but still ended up with high averages which means that in addition to cold spells he was also going through hot streaks. His shot should be more reliable this season (is the hope).
It starts with Hield. We've seen flashes of his shooting here and there. If he can cut down the really poor games to mediocre ( 5-11 or 6-14 etc) instead that will be a big deal for his confidence. Kings need leadership and scoring.

Even though he went to college for 3yrs, he was only 21 when he entered the NBA. Fox was 19, and turned 20 in Decemeber of his rookie year. As you said, Fox has another year before he's at Steph's rookie year, but can he match up to his rookie year?

Ok, let's break down the Warriors 5 then. Let's start the year when Draymond and Barnes were rookies. That's 2012-2013.

Since you say you need 5 players in your core, then this was the start of their "core" since they just drafted Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green. We have any players on the team who can put up those stats?
We definitely have players that can put up Barnes and greens numbers. But also you have to factor minutes. Fox buddy and bogie didn't start most of the games in the beginning and split time with vets. I don't remember exactly how much the warriors players player but the final stats might be skewed. Since our guys were just drafted and lost mins to vets, numbers close to Barnes and green are expected.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The premise is flawed to begin with! Holy Gizzabell! Giles is NOT a core player yet.....end of story, finito, thanks for playing.
It was his premise. Sorry if the concept eludes you. YOUR definition of core player may differ but that doesn't invalidate his. End of story? Finito? Thanks for playing? Whatever. Admit it. You bit off more than you could chew and now you're just backpedaling to keep from admitting it. Don't forget to tip your waiter.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I don't discuss that team. If I did, I would only say there's no way to answer your question quite yet. Let's see how they compare at the end of the season, when we've actually got comparable statistical bases.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wow, The team has five young players with real NBA potential. All five could turn out to be superstars or all five could turn out to be roleplayers. The question of is the core enough, who knows? But the potential in our young core is high. Is it enough well of course not. There will be trades and there will be free agent signings and there will be more draft picks. Our core has high potential and like each other which means chemistry. Vlade is building this the right way. Has he made mistakes? yes. Will he make more? yes. Will the Suns beat us to the playoffs? maybe. The team is exciting and finally being built the right way. Some of you sure like to argue. You should put your resume together and send it to all the NBA teams. I am sure someone will hire you.
The Suns now have more wingmen than a Geoff Petrie wetdream.

people were upset when they handed him the keys and traded away monta and were second guessing resigning him due to him being injury prone. not many had him pegged as an mvp type player 1 year into his career.
Recalling Grant Napear espousing the mistake the Warriors were making by extending the contract of the ankle injury prone Curry by the Warriors

It was his premise. Sorry if the concept eludes you. YOUR definition of core player may differ but that doesn't invalidate his. End of story? Finito? Thanks for playing? Whatever. Admit it. You bit off more than you could chew and now you're just backpedaling to keep from admitting it. Don't forget to tip your waiter.
Oh now its his premise? Convenient.

And this was exactly what I was getting at - definitions of words.....my definition vs his definition - ridiculous....hang it up.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh now its his premise? Convenient.

And this was exactly what I was getting at - definitions of words.....my definition vs his definition - ridiculous....hang it up.
This is a very strange argument.

This thread began with a tweet that stated that the Kings didn't have a pick in 2019 so for all intents and purposes the young guys on the roster would have to be the core of the team. The question was whether or not that group is enough to be successful.

You can disagree with how Tony Xypteras is using the word "core" but that's not really the crux of the discussion.

The real question is whether Vlade has assembled enough talent for the Kings to move forward in a positive way.

And for me the answer is that it's hard to say right now. A lot would have to break right for this team. But we'll get a good indication in a little over a week when the first summer league games start.

Why are people trying to compare the Kings core to one of if not the greatest team to ever play in the NBA? How about we have a initial goal of having a team that can make the playoffs or even just play .500 basketball within the next 2-3 years. By then we should have a better idea of what this team is still lacking. Right now its about developing the young talent and establishing good habits and good basketball. In terms of wins if the team can get to 33-35 wins next season with the young guys being the main contributors i would say it has been a successful enough season.

Why are people trying to compare the Kings core to one of if not the greatest team to ever play in the NBA? How about we have a initial goal of having a team that can make the playoffs or even just play .500 basketball within the next 2-3 years. By then we should have a better idea of what this team is still lacking. Right now its about developing the young talent and establishing good habits and good basketball. In terms of wins if the team can get to 33-35 wins next season with the young guys being the main contributors i would say it has been a successful enough season.
100% agree,

No. Not as it stands.

The team is missing the alpha. The guy who attracts doubles. The guy who commands extra attention and opens it for others. The guy you dump it into in the 4th and say "bring us home".

Closest thing is Bogdan in P&R actions. I'd run most perimeter offense thru him in P&R actions. He's underrated. If Joerger quite running his caveman system and unleashed the Serbian, he's an 18/6/6 type player.

I am however intrigued by Giles, the apparent best passer on the squad.

None of this is to say this team can't collectively become a playoff squad. It can.

The Kings will continue to be one of the youngest teams in the league. Carter is kind of a player coach. I can't see Randolph starting that much.
KK is one of the only experienced players on the roster that is going to get minutes every night. Temple may become a sort of utility player off the bench.

But the team has talent for a change. They have athleticism. Winning more than 30 games is going to take some time. The Kings are likely to get there. Giles has turned into somewhat of a legend and we haven't seen him play yet. Willie may have a career as a backup player.

You have to be optimistic about Fox, Bogdan, Hield, Giles and Bagley. That group is going to be entertaining at least. Some of their games are going to surprise people. Fox has shown the potential to take over the end of some games. Hield can do that with scoring. Bogdan had that ridiculous game against Cleveland showing up James. Giles is the wild card and Bagley could have star power. Watching the Celtics play was inspirational for me and maybe useful for the Kings to watch.