The Kings vs. NBA Officials (2 minute report tells the tale)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
2 minute report for the game said the refs missed traveling on Smart on the go ahead bucket. Didn’t really need the report to tell us that as it was plain to all except the 3 guys with whistles.
So that's two games so far this year we've lost specifically on missed calls in the last 30 seconds? Not so bad to be 9-7 after that 0-5 start!

Oh, and the officials looked the other way on Marcus Smart’s last shot which was clearly a travel. Wasn’t even close. It looked blatant in real time and worse in replay. He easily took 3 steps, but I’d argue 4.

I hate the NBA’s unwillingness to consistently call travel violations.
And a travel call — that they’ll probably admit to in their 2 minute report. Always too late.
2 minute report for the game said the refs missed traveling on Smart on the go ahead bucket. Didn’t really need the report to tell us that as it was plain to all except the 3 guys with whistles.
So that's two games so far this year we've lost specifically on missed calls in the last 30 seconds? Not so bad to be 9-7 after that 0-5 start!
I predicted that would happen!

Freaking NBA. Always after the fact and never during.

Their officials are awful. But I firmly believe it’s how they are directed to officiate. A lot of the calls I see them miss there is an official looking right at the action, but no call.

The adage “it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission“ sort of applies. They purposely overlook calls to benefit the team/players that drive more $$$ for the league then ask for forgiveness by admitting they got it wrong but can’t change the result after the fact.

I see you coming a million miles away, NBA. So do a lot of fans.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I pulled these posts from the Celtics game thread. If I get a chance, I'll go back and pull the other two-minute reports that showed without a doubt the Kings were jobbed. Figured we might as well have a thread about it since I doubt if it goes away any time soon. :(

Buddy just traveled twice and they still called a foul on Denver. If the refs would have called either violation the outcome may not be the same.

I am saying this before the L2M.

Buddy just traveled twice and they still called a foul on Denver. If the refs would have called either violation the outcome may not be the same.

I am saying this before the L2M.
And Jokic traveled on the foul call that was reviewed and upheld. Jokic actually travels a lot. But the NBA doesn’t like to call traveling consistently, so neither play was called.

Also, a KINGS fan might argue that Buddy traveled because he was fouled on the multiple reaches by the defenders. ;)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And Jokic traveled on the foul call that was reviewed and upheld. Jokic actually travels a lot. But the NBA doesn’t like to call traveling consistently, so neither play was called.

Also, a KINGS fan might argue that Buddy traveled because he was fouled on the multiple reaches by the defenders. ;)
To be fair, Jokic moves so slow that his steps are only visible if shot in time lapse mode.

The first thing you learn in organized basketball is that the refs are going to miss some calls, and get some wrong.
It is part of the game. You have to ignore it and keep playing.
Same with being a fan.

The first thing you learn in organized basketball is that the refs are going to miss some calls, and get some wrong.
It is part of the game. You have to ignore it and keep playing.
Same with being a fan.
That's right, as far as it goes. Human error is part of the game. That's not the issue here. When the refs make mistakes, it's much more often against the Kings than it is for them. That suggests it's more than just human error. LeBron only got his heroic game winner against the Kings because the refs cheated to help him out. The referee reports are ongoing evidence of this bias.

That's right, as far as it goes. Human error is part of the game. That's not the issue here. When the refs make mistakes, it's much more often against the Kings than it is for them. That suggests it's more than just human error. LeBron only got his heroic game winner against the Kings because the refs cheated to help him out. The referee reports are ongoing evidence of this bias.
I agree with you here. It is true that the refs will miss some calls, and get some wrong. And superstars will get the benefit of the doubt. I think most of us can accept these realities. But it's the long history of bias against the Kings that is worthy of our wrath.

3 missed calls in the last 2 minutes - all favoring the Kings (including the last play by Luka where he got hit on the forearm.).
And here I thought "he will not be named here" was the Golden Child.......

I'll say this, there is no doubt in my mind that the Lakers receive on average better calls (or non-calls) consistently than other teams, but when it comes to all those other teams for the most part the calls seem to even out. It's only when you play the Lakers to where the calls never seem to "even out"

3 missed calls in the last 2 minutes - all favoring the Kings (including the last play by Luka where he got hit on the forearm.).
That's interesting since it seemed like Dallas got away with a few breaks in the final 2 minutes (I wasn't watching the clock), specifically with KP going over the back on a few offensive rebounds and then a comparatively light whistle went their way on a play that could easily have just been given to the Mavs without a foul on the out of bounds that resulted.

Obviously I watch with a Kings lens but it did feel like there was the usual slight tilt towards the home team down the stretch. So go figure.

And yes, most stars get the call that Doncic didn't, but I got the impression he went a little overboard during the contest leading to that final play and may have burned out any good will he had coming long before.

The lowest common denominator in sports, blame the referees.
Blaming the referees or acknowledging clear and obvious discrepancies — spin it however you want. Doesn’t change the fact that it happens. The NBA‘s very own 2-minute report is further admission.

You can go ahead and continue to bury your head in the sand. After all, ignorance is bliss, right?