The Harry Giles option conundrum

Baseless speculation but I do think the league would probably address any cap changes due to the pandemic with some modifications that allow players (particularly ones who aren't marquee players) to stay with their current team next season.

Aside from throwing a bone to the "lower class" of free agents, a free agent bonanza in July with people moving across country with million dollar pay days when many American may be on extended unemployment, seeing their businesses shutter or just getting back to the surface is not going to be a good look.

This would help us with Harry.

It would be a mistake on Harry's part if he signed with another team. Sacramento loves him and is the best place for him. We are talking one season of salary here folks and Harry is still very young. The Kings drafted Harry and allowed him a place to recuperate and grow his game when other teams did not. It will be Harry's choice whether he stay or goes. I hope he stays.

It would be a mistake on Harry's part if he signed with another team. Sacramento loves him and is the best place for him. We are talking one season of salary here folks and Harry is still very young. The Kings drafted Harry and allowed him a place to recuperate and grow his game when other teams did not. It will be Harry's choice whether he stay or goes. I hope he stays.
I really think a lot depends on how good the FO relationship with Harry is because we've seen hints of good and bad.

That said I really think COVID-19 changes a lot of thought processes and it's going to make people who are clinging to stability likely to act conservatively while others who are perhaps unhappy or scared may make rash decisions.

looks like Harry is spending sometime with Tatum in Boston
Boston is one of the few places I could see Harry going to over Sac. No real staunch option set in stone at C, although Theis, Williams and Kanter are all useful in certain situations, big market, gets to play with his good buddy Tatum. I think one hold-up could be the fact that it'd be hard for the Celtics to resign Harry to a real contract after a 1 year deal since Jaylen and Tatum extensions are both becoming expensive soon. I'd be surprised if Harry signs anything outside of a 1year deal or a 1+1 deal so he leaves the 2021 FA open.

I'm thinking that there is a serious risk that any games played this year and possibly even next year may be with NO fans in attendance. That would seriously lower the NBA revenue stream and then lower salary cap next season and possibly the year after that.

I can see the player movement this summer being a lot lighter than normal years, because of the uncertainty surrounding sports and the ability to ever return to normal arenas full of fans. There is a high probability that sports may be played in empty arenas for the next 1-2 years due to COVID-19. Similar to what wrestling is doing, having their matches in an empty arena and basically filming for TV watching only.

I think this may help the Kings retain Giles. In unfamiliar times, it would be in the best interest of "non-All star" level players to stay with the teams they are familiar with, since practice time and finding a groove will be at a premium this coming season.

I'm thinking that there is a serious risk that any games played this year and possibly even next year may be with NO fans in attendance. That would seriously lower the NBA revenue stream and then lower salary cap next season and possibly the year after that.

I can see the player movement this summer being a lot lighter than normal years, because of the uncertainty surrounding sports and the ability to ever return to normal arenas full of fans. There is a high probability that sports may be played in empty arenas for the next 1-2 years due to COVID-19. Similar to what wrestling is doing, having their matches in an empty arena and basically filming for TV watching only.

I think this may help the Kings retain Giles. In unfamiliar times, it would be in the best interest of "non-All star" level players to stay with the teams they are familiar with, since practice time and finding a groove will be at a premium this coming season.
It hurts to say but I think the end is here for HG as a King. He's a great guy to root for and a fan favorite but we need to be realistic about his situation.
This is year 3 in the Kings program and our 2nd round rookie gets more time than him. Kings declined his team option. We're paying Dedmon starter money and he's getting DNP-Coach's Decision. We've been playing 8 guys on the road.
Marv's coming back, and right now HG is not better than Bagley, Bjelica, Dedmon, Holmes, or Barnes at the 4 or 5. I just don't see any paths to minutes this year and he really needs them to develop.

It hurts to say but I think the end is here for HG as a King. He's a great guy to root for and a fan favorite but we need to be realistic about his situation.
This is year 3 in the Kings program and our 2nd round rookie gets more time than him. Kings declined his team option. We're paying Dedmon starter money and he's getting DNP-Coach's Decision. We've been playing 8 guys on the road.
Marv's coming back, and right now HG is not better than Bagley, Bjelica, Dedmon, Holmes, or Barnes at the 4 or 5. I just don't see any paths to minutes this year and he really needs them to develop.
Wait did I read this right? Kings still have Dedmon and Justin James is playing more than Giiizle?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hrm. My mod spidey-senses are tingling. Methinks there's something nefarious going on.

The Yahoo Sports article was very good. I did not know about those issues management had with Harry's offseason preparation. I don't know whether this COVID stuff makes him more or less likely to return, but I sincerely hope the Kings find a way to figure this out and bring him back.

I just want a Kings lifer. I want players that are here for ten years who we get to root for, like Nick Collison for the Sonics/Thunder or Udonis Haslem for the Heat. Or maybe even Dirk, Duncan, or Kobe? I know, wishful thinking. I'll always root for the Kings but I want to be able to root for the same players for years.

Who was the last player that was a King for "life"? Or at least 8+ years? I use 8 as the number because the most I can think of were Cousins and Jason Thompson who I think were here for 7 years.

The Yahoo Sports article was very good. I did not know about those issues management had with Harry's offseason preparation. I don't know whether this COVID stuff makes him more or less likely to return, but I sincerely hope the Kings find a way to figure this out and bring him back.

I just want a Kings lifer. I want players that are here for ten years who we get to root for, like Nick Collison for the Sonics/Thunder or Udonis Haslem for the Heat. Or maybe even Dirk, Duncan, or Kobe? I know, wishful thinking. I'll always root for the Kings but I want to be able to root for the same players for years.

Who was the last player that was a King for "life"? Or at least 8+ years? I use 8 as the number because the most I can think of were Cousins and Jason Thompson who I think were here for 7 years.
Off hand, I don't know if any player has lasted more than 7 years with us. RIchmond? Peja? Thompson? All 7 years. Cousins? Six and a half.
Of course, if we bring back John Salmons, he might eventually total up to 8 years. Would that make you happy?

Off hand, I don't know if any player has lasted more than 7 years with us. RIchmond? Peja? Thompson? All 7 years. Cousins? Six and a half.
Of course, if we bring back John Salmons, he might eventually total up to 8 years. Would that make you happy?
I'm not sure the need for the snide remark. I don't think there's an issue with the point I'm trying to make, although maybe I could've been more clear.

I feel a loyalty to our players, which is why I want them to stick around. The Cousins trade sucked because he was that constant King for six and a half seasons, and (some) fans became loyal to him. You could argue whether or not the trade was the right move for the success and progress of the franchise, but selfishly from a (Kings and Cousins) fan's perspective. If Cousins was here his whole career, his jersey would've been retired, he likely would've been the franchise leader in most feasible categories (not things like assists or 3s, obviously). All I'm saying is that's the kind of trajectory I wish we could have. Lots of teams have those players in their organization, and I don't think we have.

The early 00s Kings had a core group of guys for five years. Sure, there were some pieces replaced, which is understandable and almost has to happen. But you could feel like you're rooting for the same team year after year. Granted, that's what comes with being successful, so if we were making the playoffs year after year, I'm sure we'd have a core that sticks.

But for the last 15 years, we don't have a core that sticks. There's so much roster turnover that the majority of the main rotational players change every 2-3 years, which sucks. I want Harry, Fox, Buddy, Bagley, Bogi, Holmes to stay because I think they can be really good like we saw glimpses of last season, but also because I want to root for them for years to come.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not sure the need for the snide remark. I don't think there's an issue with the point I'm trying to make, although maybe I could've been more clear.

I feel a loyalty to our players, which is why I want them to stick around. The Cousins trade sucked because he was that constant King for six and a half seasons, and (some) fans became loyal to him. You could argue whether or not the trade was the right move for the success and progress of the franchise, but selfishly from a (Kings and Cousins) fan's perspective. If Cousins was here his whole career, his jersey would've been retired, he likely would've been the franchise leader in most feasible categories (not things like assists or 3s, obviously). All I'm saying is that's the kind of trajectory I wish we could have. Lots of teams have those players in their organization, and I don't think we have.

The early 00s Kings had a core group of guys for five years. Sure, there were some pieces replaced, which is understandable and almost has to happen. But you could feel like you're rooting for the same team year after year. Granted, that's what comes with being successful, so if we were making the playoffs year after year, I'm sure we'd have a core that sticks.

But for the last 15 years, we don't have a core that sticks. There's so much roster turnover that the majority of the main rotational players change every 2-3 years, which sucks. I want Harry, Fox, Buddy, Bagley, Bogi, Holmes to stay because I think they can be really good like we saw glimpses of last season, but also because I want to root for them for years to come.
The advent of free agency made it almost impossible for a team to keep a player for his entire career.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The advent of free agency made it almost impossible for a team to keep a player for his entire career.
Feels like the only older big name that still has that chance is Steph and one really has to wonder what would have happened if his ankles were a bit more durable in his earlier career and the Warriors had to offer him a better contract than the ridiculously cheap one he wound up getting to kick off their championship run.