The Harry Giles option conundrum

A 1 year deal with the Kings. Doesn't make sense for 2 years with the Kings. I said this in another thread. Using your numbers, a 2 year $14 million deal would need a 1 year $4 mil then a new deal starting at $10 mil makes up the lost money with the Kings.
A 2 year deal with the Kings would have a player option for year 2.

Therefore, he would be guaranteed $9 million on a 2 year deal with the Kings.

In addition, I would suspect that if any team signs Harry to a more lucrative contract this summer (i.e. 2 years /$14 million), the 2nd year would likely be a team option, with a small buyout, considering his injury history.

Harry would be eligible for a big payday a year earlier, because of Bird rights, if he stays with the Kings

I think the Kings have a bit of a question now with Giles/Bagley/Holmses. Giles is clearly a playmaker, more so than the other 2., and is melding more with the starting unit. Some of the starting players, Barnes and Bogdan are playing off Giles better. The team as a whole is passing better than they were post trades. At this point, I dont mind the others taking healing time off, for Giles development. I agree with others questioning dropping his extension. It might be a dollars and cents thing - I dunno.
Its inexcusable. There is no rhyme or reason for this. I have defended Vlade a lot but this move was just DUMB. Absolutely stupid.

Something happened that we don't know about.
No question about that. But it still comes down to the FO either pinching pennies, or underestimating his value.
If a secret agreement is what we don't know about, that's pretty risky stuff.
Another possibility is that after signing Dedmon and Holmes, and expecting Bagley to have a break-out year, Giles came to be viewed by the FO as redundant and an excessive expense. And it wouldn't have helped his cause if he really didn't prepare properly during the offseason.

Vlade took up the option of Pappagianis only to release him a few weeks later. Even with his injury issues, Giles has shown much much more than Pappagianis has ever done.

Often the most logical explanation is the simplest one: Vlade does not have a clue what he is doing.

In the case of Pappagianis that was just another LOL wut moment. In the case of Giles, it really annoys the heck out of me.

Is there a chance that Giles requested the Kings don't pick up his option? It seems unlikely but just playing devil's advocate since it seems illogical to not pick up his option

Is there a chance that Giles requested the Kings don't pick up his option? It seems unlikely but just playing devil's advocate since it seems illogical to not pick up his option
Don't you think the Kings FO would have made sure the press would know about it if that was the case?
This is wishful thinking, with all due respect.

I hope we can keep him. Giles shares an agent with other players that we are committed to so I think there is a fair chance a handshake deal is in play. As some have pointed out he can actually get a bigger pay day earlier if he signs a 2 year deal in the offseason. This may also factor into all the cap wizardry the team has done by getting declining deals, team friendly easy trade deals etc. that most tend to ignore when bashing our signings.

No question about that. But it still comes down to the FO either pinching pennies, or underestimating his value.
It's difficult to know Gile's value around the league, so it's not accurate at this point to say the Kings are underestimating his value. Certainly, many of the posters believe Giles is worth $4+ million/year.

Going by what WCS, Holmes, and Cousins all got last year, I'm not sure the market is going to be all that lucrative for Giles.

Regardless, it's not my money and I would have been more comfortable if the Kings did not decline the option, but it sounds like they wanted him to "prove" he was worth $4 million.

I hope we can keep him. Giles shares an agent with other players that we are committed to so I think there is a fair chance a handshake deal is in play. As some have pointed out he can actually get a bigger pay day earlier if he signs a 2 year deal in the offseason. This may also factor into all the cap wizardry the team has done by getting declining deals, team friendly easy trade deals etc. that most tend to ignore when bashing our signings.
Why wouldn’t another team just offer him a 2 year deal worth more than 4 million per year? Dude won’t be here next year any rebuilding team will throw 5 mill at him without blinking

Why wouldn’t another team just offer him a 2 year deal worth more than 4 million per year? Dude won’t be here next year any rebuilding team will throw 5 mill at him without blinking
We are assuming that 2 year deal would have a team option for the second year based on his injury history, so it’s basically 1 year. With the kings maybe they give him a player option his second year. He blows up, he can opt out and get paid. His knees blow up, he takes the option and gets paid anyways.

It's totally possible. And then I guess we lose. I would have just signed the option. But if there was talk between camps, and Giles shares agents with Bagley and Barnes, going back on a deal can bite all 3.

The degree to which some on here are willing give a pass to this organization for it's BS and incompetence is part of the reason the franchise is where it is. If local media and the fanbase constantly give the franchise a pass or go softball on them and accept mediocrity, you are as much a part of the problem as anyone else. Fans have to demand more/better than the BS this franchise has conducted itself like over the last decade and a half. This is professional sports, not little league where we should cheer blindly and just be happy to be here.

And if Giles re-signs and there was a backroom deal nobody is privy to you guys stir up drama for 9 months and then get to pretend it never happened. I'll react to stuff that actually happens, when it happens. For peace of mind, you're dang right that I would have just signed the extension, but I am not privy to the inner workings and relationships and all the other info that goes into the decision making process, including the concerns injury or otherwise that kept Giles out of the first chunk of the season.

For all the faults I can find with personnel management and selection, cap management is one thing I have no complaints on with the current FO. I trust they know what they are doing in this regard.

Three mistakes that the FO has to own up to. One, failing to extend Giles. Two and three, signing two centers to play ahead of Giles this off season, especially Dedmon. Giles should leave for those diss alone. Not one, but three slights.

Three mistakes that the FO has to own up to. One, failing to extend Giles. Two and three, signing two centers to play ahead of Giles this off season, especially Dedmon. Giles should leave for those diss alone. Not one, but three slights.
Using much hindsight in that statement? Until his recent success HG had not shown he could handle the minutes. In fact he had barely played.

Are you dissing Holmes as well as Dedmon? And in turn Alex Len?

Using much hindsight in that statement? Until his recent success HG had not shown he could handle the minutes. In fact he had barely played.

Are you dissing Holmes as well as Dedmon? And in turn Alex Len?
Not hindsight. I would've signed Giles to an extension, because of what he flashed last year. Was dumbfounded when they decided not to. The only thing that makes sense is if they think the injuries will turn him into Marvin Bagley for the life of his next contract (i.e., playing 30% each season).

Not dissing Holmes, Dedmon, or Len. Just restating one of my peeves with Vlade--you say you're trying to develop the youth, but then you go and sign Vets to play in front of your youth. Vlade has been on repeat since day one. If you're Giles, you take that fuel and cut. I would, if I was him.

My guess for the reason in signing two centers ahead of Giles:

They really thought the knee injury was worse than anticipated. Knowing how this medical staff operates, or at least how they present on paper, they misjudged his injury. It seems like they're misjudging quite a few injuries, which is perhaps a topic for discussion at another point in time. Point is, they didn't think they'd get anything from Giles. Now, his knee could be a timebomb, and we won't know until we know, but for the time being, he seems to be a lot healthier than he was at the start of the season. And because he's able to get those consistent minutes, he's showing what he's capable of.

My guess for the reason in signing two centers ahead of Giles:

They really thought the knee injury was worse than anticipated. Knowing how this medical staff operates, or at least how they present on paper, they misjudged his injury. It seems like they're misjudging quite a few injuries, which is perhaps a topic for discussion at another point in time. Point is, they didn't think they'd get anything from Giles. Now, his knee could be a timebomb, and we won't know until we know, but for the time being, he seems to be a lot healthier than he was at the start of the season. And because he's able to get those consistent minutes, he's showing what he's capable of.
this is infuriating if true

And if Giles re-signs and there was a backroom deal nobody is privy to you guys stir up drama for 9 months and then get to pretend it never happened. I'll react to stuff that actually happens, when it happens. For peace of mind, you're dang right that I would have just signed the extension, but I am not privy to the inner workings and relationships and all the other info that goes into the decision making process, including the concerns injury or otherwise that kept Giles out of the first chunk of the season.

For all the faults I can find with personnel management and selection, cap management is one thing I have no complaints on with the current FO. I trust they know what they are doing in this regard.
Makes no sense why would you make a back deal knowing you can only offer him 4mill max. Does Giles and his agent stay with us cause of said deal if a team like Charlotte offers him a 10 mill 1 year prove it real. He had a cheap option you pick it up no matter what

Makes no sense why would you make a back deal knowing you can only offer him 4mill max. Does Giles and his agent stay with us cause of said deal if a team like Charlotte offers him a 10 mill 1 year prove it real. He had a cheap option you pick it up no matter what
I would be a lot more skeptical if he didn't share an agent with Barnes and Bagley. You don't pull a doublecross when you have to work with the team no matter what.