The champs

G

Garliguy

On a non-related WWF note, I too am a little puzzled by the Pistons' moves, although I don't think they are all THAT critical.

Okur is a good player. When he gets minutes this year, he will put up some solid numbers. I would be even willing to say that he could very well be the Most Improved Player of 2004-05.

But the real puzzling move is acquiring Derrick Coleman. As I am sure everyone on this board is aware, I have no patience for players who are a cancer and who put up their numbers to the detriment of their team. (As a sidenote, I also find it interesting that both Coleman and Webber threw away their chances for NCAA titles by choking in the clutch.)

Bricklayer said:
They won the title last year. That's over.

This year they have put together a bench without a single dependable player on it. Not one. Darko MIGHT suddenly blossom. McDyess MIGHT suddenly discover the fountain of health and be able to give them a full season, or even half a season. Anything's possible. But as of right now they have got nobody that they KNOW will be a contributor. Not a single guy who you can put money on being up to playing 20mpg for 82 games. That's not much of a way to try to defend a title.
They still have guys remaining from their bench who played key roles when asked last season in Hunter and Campbell. Sure, Williamson was their most consistent performer, but was he untouchable? Did Brown even rely on Okur after Sheed came on board? I just don't think that the players they let go should create much cause for concern if you are a Pistons fan.

And, I'd still swap places with the Pistons as a Kings' fan...sure, last season is over, but it's still in the books with the Pistons as the last team standing, and Kings' fans still wondering what might have been had CWebb come back stronger/BJax been healthy/Peja hit shots and free throws he normally makes/etc.

I often wonder why people question how deep a team's bench is when their starting 5 won a championship together and played well over 40 mpg in the playoffs to get that championship.

Remind me why the Pistons (or any championship team) needs to be more than 7 players deep? Title teams don't need to be more than 7 players deep, and it has been proven countless times in the past few decades. The Pistons' starting lineup is 5 strong and bench is two deep in Milicic and Hunter, with Campbell thrown in if you like. If you think the #2 pick is going to be a bust, that's fine, but it's hardly a nonsensical move to give the guy significantly more minutes this season than he got last season. Hence the reason Okur was moved, though that move was probably more financial (Dumars not wanting to overpay for the typical Euro soft no-D oft).