[The Athletic] Kings request permission to interview candidates for head of basketball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable, man **** vevik how do you expect to get someone good when they won’t know there role and logistics. He just doesn’t get it man if we leave with Perry or Dumars we’re not making the playoffs this decade.

And yes for Atlanta offered 6 for Buddy/12 you take it and run sont look back don’t ask questions
Im not sure we need to swap 6 for 12. Philly really needs shooting and like him. A good GM will make those two (and many more) bid against themselves. Hes a starter in both places. It should be Huerter and six for Buddy. Or Im talking to Philly who is more desperate.

Simon, continuously doing this, is going to get stale, lose momentum, and get passed over for Battier. He’s done this to 6 or 7 franchises, now, I believe. And this why Langdon should have stayed in...he’d now be 2nd favorite to land the job and with a better scouting background than Gupta.

I assume Carmichael is just trolling by having Other and Perry as 2nd and 3rd favorite.

LOL. Why do people think the Simon has any desire to ever leave Miami? Maybe he just loves living there. He's from there. I have no idea how much $$ he makes, but lets says its $2MM a year. If he's happy, his wife kids are happy, why would he leave for an "opportunity"? At that point, he can basically never go back, because that's how sports work. You move up until you move on or get fired. You never go back to where you were.

If the Kings offered him $3MM a year, with essentially the same position, why would he leave?

Also, I've said for years, teams in general, but specifically the Kings drastically under spend on their FO and staff. It's not in the Salary Cap. If the best GM cost $7MM vs 5, pay it. You just gave two non stars $40MM a year for 4 years. It's bananas how teams operate like this.

LOL. Why do people think the Simon has any desire to ever leave Miami? Maybe he just loves living there. He's from there. I have no idea how much $$ he makes, but lets says its $2MM a year. If he's happy, his wife kids are happy, why would he leave for an "opportunity"? At that point, he can basically never go back, because that's how sports work. You move up until you move on or get fired. You never go back to where you were.

If the Kings offered him $3MM a year, with essentially the same position, why would he leave?

Also, I've said for years, teams in general, but specifically the Kings drastically under spend on their FO and staff. It's not in the Salary Cap. If the best GM cost $7MM vs 5, pay it. You just gave two non stars $40MM a year for 4 years. It's bananas how teams operate like this.
Why did Jerry West leave LA for Memphis? The following quote is attributed to West in hIs wiki:

"After being a part of the Laker's success for so many years, I have always wondered how it would be to build a winning franchise that has not experienced much success. I want to help make a difference.”

Link—>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_West

And? Jerry West was in his late 60s when he did that. Kids grown and gone. It's not close to a comparison. Also, maybe Simon doesn't give a crap about that. We try to always look at these things as someone wanting to grow and take on these challenges, etc. That is not everyone. I have a friend who works for a large corporation. He stopped trying to get promoted like 10 years ago. He's happy making his salary, not working 80 hours a week to try to impress someone. He takes vacations, spends time with his kids and will retire comfortably in 10-15 years.

Im not sure we need to swap 6 for 12. Philly really needs shooting and like him. A good GM will make those two (and many more) bid against themselves. Hes a starter in both places. It should be Huerter and six for Buddy. Or Im talking to Philly who is more desperate.
There’s nothing to be had on Philadelphia, nothing

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I have a friend who works for a large corporation. He stopped trying to get promoted like 10 years ago. He's happy making his salary, not working 80 hours a week to try to impress someone. He takes vacations, spends time with his kids and will retire comfortably in 10-15 years.
Frankly, I think I am in that kind of a position right now (not in a huge company, but otherwise pretty applicable). I can completely understand that concept. I got a nice raise when I switched to the company I'm at now and my supervisor is fantastic and the same age I am. I'm the #2 in our office and I'm just glad he deals with the stuff he deals with and I don't have to! :)

I know some of my previous co-workers had the drive to run their own office, etc. No thanks. I don't need the additional headaches right now.

And? Jerry West was in his late 60s when he did that. Kids grown and gone. It's not close to a comparison. Also, maybe Simon doesn't give a crap about that. We try to always look at these things as someone wanting to grow and take on these challenges, etc. That is not everyone. I have a friend who works for a large corporation. He stopped trying to get promoted like 10 years ago. He's happy making his salary, not working 80 hours a week to try to impress someone. He takes vacations, spends time with his kids and will retire comfortably in 10-15 years.

It also could be that some of these highly regarded #2s know they’ll have the opportunity to run their own team at some point, so they can afford to be selective. If they take the wrong opportunity, end up with a meddlesome owner and see the team fail for reasons that aren’t their fault, they still then risk being perceived as a “retread” the next time an opportunity comes up.

dude12

Hall of Famer

You may be right about him and his family being content, maybe he was promised something, who knows, but let’s not pretend the difference between $2 mill and $3 mill is nothing.

Sure it can be spun any way you want it:)

Facts are West wanted to improve Memphis. You cannot rule out a talented FO Executive may want to do the same in Sacramento.

You may be right about him and his family being content, maybe he was promised something, who knows, but let’s not pretend the difference between $2 mill and $3 mill is nothing.
well I made those numbers up. But the difference from Fl to Ca is 13.3% state income tax compared to 0

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Frankly, I think I am in that kind of a position right now (not in a huge company, but otherwise pretty applicable). I can completely understand that concept. I got a nice raise when I switched to the company I'm at now and my supervisor is fantastic and the same age I am. I'm the #2 in our office and I'm just glad he deals with the stuff he deals with and I don't have to! :)

I know some of my previous co-workers had the drive to run their own office, etc. No thanks. I don't need the additional headaches right now.
I'm also in a spot where I am financially secure and happy in the job I am not going to go stir the pot just to get a pat on the back or a few extra dollars or recognition. If I can ride it out I'll retire happy (and early). The hopping along phase is over, I just want to ride out in comfort.

Petrie didn't leave the team on the best terms... in case you weren't aware of that.
And he didn't leave the best track record either. I know he had money issues with the owners but his biggest issue is what he did spend that money on. Like giving Jason Thompson a Kenny Thomas contract. That's on you Geoff.

Perry isn’t better than Vlade no way no how
People seriously overrate the GM position in the NBA especially with where the Kings are at currently. As much as a coach's main job is simply to not F up and use the players they have to their strengths all a GM has to do is watch the waves around him and listen. If it's drafting, know what the value is up and down and find competent scouts. If it's trading know why you are doing what you are doing whether it's clearing cap or building a team around your core. The best GM right now is the person that looks at this roster and understands how it should play on the floor. That's all. Bringing in a guy right now that comes in with a sledgehammer and a book load of "bright" ideas is what might be the worst thing possible. Just like a coach who simply needs to put guys in the right spots, sit back, and cheer on his squad. It likely won't win any awards, and likewise simply using common sense as a GM won't put you into legend status unless you win rings but overthinking this could end you right then and there. Who's better than who is all relative to expectation and resume. We've seen this list, there are no legends on it. There is no Jerry West, there is no RC Buford, or Sam Presti. That's not to say one won't end up clearly heads above the others if given the shot but there is nothing there that says Vivek is choosing between anything other than potential types much in the same vein as a Scott Perry on his initial hire before he tanked some of his value in NY because possiblity hit head on with reality as it always does. It's all about what a competent person in charge hears and sees. For us, for better or worse that is one Joe Dumars. With his track record it's going to be hit or miss fellas.

you would think the fact no one well regarded wanted to work for him would be a wake up call for Vivek.
I just hope he fully understands the old saying, money talks and BS walks. I still have my theory here. Dumars compiled a list that in terms of rep and experience is going to be below him on the rungs of the ladder regardless of the name he ends up with if it's one of the ones we've heard. That should be the wake up call to anyone watching this right now. It's getting pretty close to the point that Dumars could be setting himself up nicely be the "fall" guy. "Well, we looked around and it looks like I'm going to have to carry this ball!" haha.

Remember when Dumars came in, it was a bit head turning. Some thought, wow, this might cause strain with Vlade. Nah, that won't happen right? Well, it's exactly what happened. Vlade was going to have to start taking a back seat to that very person and he chose to bail instead. Sometimes things are exactly what they appear to be. Like with Walton, don't drag it out, it is what it is whoever you pick he has to go. The odds are against it working out just like the odds of it working out with Dumars coming in. It ended the exact way it always seems to, for the Kings it was with Vlade hitting the door cheeks first.

Also, seeing so many candidates who have little or no track record dropping out so quickly, even before interviews should send signals that this is a position with strings attached. And lot of land lines.

Last edited:
Gupta makes sense if the Kings are keeping Dumars to help with the talent evaluation. Otherwise, the Kings have more work to do to fill out that front office.
I really just hope whatever happens the Kings don't lose the type of FO they had. For the first time in forever the Kings finally had a final say guy in Vlade. Vivek has already been through the FO committee crap and that's hopeless from jump street. It doesn't work in the NBA. As bad as having the wrong person making the decisions can be we've already experienced what it looks like having multiple heads attempting to run different ways at the same time. It's futile.

Soooo, you wouldn't want him on the King's? Just asking..... Sorry, just couldn't resist;)
Touche. :)

In all seriousness to the rhetorical question, no, I wouldn’t. I’ve said this before. I’m such an anti-fan of everything about the bearded hag that I’d never want to root for a team with him on it.

IDC if it put the KINGS in the postseason. He’s that awful to watch, let alone root for. IMO he’s emblematic of what’s gone wrong with the league over the past decade plus.

Besides, just like his career thus far, his unwatchable game and tactics will never be good enough to win a title. Only got to the Finals once because he played with KD. I don’t think any team he leads will ever get there.

Everyone says they might have won a couple season's back had CP3 not gotten hurt. Maybe so. But IMO that’s more about CP3 than the traveling chucker. Look how close unheralded OKC came to knocking HOU out last round. Because they had CP3.

I’d take CP3 over the traveling chucker all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

Last edited:
I just hope he fully understands the old saying, money talks and BS walks. I still have my theory here. Dumars compiled a list that in terms of rep and experience is going to be below him on the rungs of the ladder regardless of the name he ends up with if it's one of the ones we've heard. That should be the wake up call to anyone watching this right now. It's getting pretty close to the point that Dumars could be setting himself up nicely be the "fall" guy. "Well, we looked around and it looks like I'm going to have to carry this ball!" haha.

Remember when Dumars came in, it was a bit head turning. Some thought, wow, this might cause strain with Vlade. Nah, that won't happen right? Well, it's exactly what happened. Vlade was going to have to start taking a back seat to that very person and he chose to bail instead. Sometimes things are exactly what they appear to be. Like with Walton, don't drag it out, it is what it is whoever you pick he has to go. The odds are against it working out just like the odds of it working out with Dumars coming in. It ended the exact way it always seems to, for the Kings it was with Vlade hitting the door cheeks first.

Also, seeing so many candidates who have little or no track record dropping out so quickly, even before interviews should send signals that this is a position with strings attached. And lot of land lines.

Pretty certain the third party search company compiled the list.

I'm also in a spot where I am financially secure and happy in the job I am not going to go stir the pot just to get a pat on the back or a few extra dollars or recognition. If I can ride it out I'll retire happy (and early). The hopping along phase is over, I just want to ride out in comfort.
I’m on the other end. Got tired of being second chair, so started my own practice a few years ago. Lots of pros and cons, but don’t ever see myself working for anyone else again. Each person’s situation, goals, arch will vary.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Touche. :)

In all seriousness to the rhetorical question, no, I wouldn’t. I’ve said this before. I’m such an anti-fan of everything about the bearded hag that I’d never want to root for a team with him on it.

IDC if it put the KINGS in the postseason. He’s that awful to watch, let alone root for. IMO he’s emblematic of what’s gone wrong with the league over the past decade plus.

Besides, just like his career thus far, his unwatchable game and tactics will never be good enough to win a title. Only got to the Finals once because he played with KD. I don’t think any team he leads will ever get there.

Everyone says they might have won a couple season's back had CP3 not gotten hurt. Maybe so. But IMO that’s more about CP3 than the traveling chucker. Look how close unheralded OKC came to knocking HOU out last round. Because they had CP3.

I’d take CP3 over the traveling chucker all day, every day and twice on Sunday.
I really don't like him. I'd really struggle if he was the guy putting the Kings over.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I’m on the other end. Got tired of being second chair, so started my own practice a few years ago. Lots of pros and cons, but don’t ever see myself working for anyone else again. Each person’s situation, goals, arch will vary.
I took a few years off and tried that, doesn't work for me. I also got displaced after my divorce and pondered new options and ultimately decided I really enjoyed healthcare education and fought tooth and nail to get back in. I am dissatisfied with current trends in Portland but I'm a bit tied here because of my son.

I do think that's one thing that some people don't evaluate in a cross country move. Especially for personnel people who may not be in a new city every night. A guy like Simon may not want to uproot his family on top of all the other considerations. Especially if he's been there 25 years and the shelf life on being the Kings top dog is maybe 5 years and that average is boosted by Petrie a bit. Vivek has made 2 major changes in 7(?) years? Not to mention the guys beneath the top are always shuffling, and frequently they may not be there because the top guy wanted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.