The Arrival! Donte Greene!

S

sactownfan

Welcome to the NBA Mr Greene! Figure this would be a highlight reguardless of the outcome. With the start at SF and 13pts including 3-4 from 3pt land at the half! welcome DONTE GREENE!

Now if we could just get spencer starting over brad our dreams would come true for the starting 5!!!!........with our current roster that is....

WELCOME DONTE!!!!!

Very impressive and encouraging. But unfortunately, where do the minutes come from when Kevin and Cisco come back? If you squint really hard you can see Spencer and Jason still playing at least 25+ with Brad and Mikki in the rotation. But Donte, behind Kevin, Cisco, and John? Not much, unfortunately.

Good first impression in the regular season. I don't expect the 40 pt game he put up in preseason, but as long as he makes himself a viable offensive threat and hopefully continues doing the little things such as getting rebounds/playing defense he should be fine.

Btw anyone notice how perimeter oriented our bigs are getting to be? Hawes and Miller and really essentially forcing/showing off their three point range at times, and Donte has the legitimate stroke and range. Thompson seems to have some potential to develop this area of his game as well. Hopefully they all don't get reduced to perimeter jumpshooters

and in the rotation; hello Donte, bye bye Douby.
I’m all for seeing Quincy play but if Donte keeps playing like this, I’m fine with seeing the better one on the court. Especially since Donte is in our future plans. Keep it up kid. I’m really excited for his growth and I love seeing him cheering on his teammates on the sidelines.

i really liked watchng him start tonight he was very impresive:D
and i like his enthusiasm even when he is not on the court he is still cheering on the team.:D

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Btw anyone notice how perimeter oriented our bigs are getting to be? Hawes and Miller and really essentially forcing/showing off their three point range at times, and Donte has the legitimate stroke and range. Thompson seems to have some potential to develop this area of his game as well. Hopefully they all don't get reduced to perimeter jumpshooters
Getting to be? :eek:

Now if we could just get spencer starting over brad our dreams would come true for the starting 5!!!!........with our current roster that is....

WELCOME DONTE!!!!!
Say what you will about Brad, but his passing skills are far superior then spencer's. Nothing against Spencer, but Brad is the center for now. Bring him along slowly. Brad can teach him a lot.

Say what you will about Brad, but his passing skills are far superior then spencer's. Nothing against Spencer, but Brad is the center for now. Bring him along slowly. Brad can teach him a lot.
Can he teach him how to get suspended for the first five games of the year? Or maybe how to take the ball to the hole and get rejected every time? Or how about a cheapshot against the smallest player on the other team?

All this talk about Brad teaching Spencer is nonsense. Brad is NOT A ROLE MODEL. A guy like Vlade Divac is a role model. Not Brad.

Can he teach him how to get suspended for the first five games of the year? Or maybe how to take the ball to the hole and get rejected every time? Or how about a cheapshot against the smallest player on the other team?

All this talk about Brad teaching Spencer is nonsense. Brad is NOT A ROLE MODEL. A guy like Vlade Divac is a role model. Not Brad.
:confused:

You definitely hard on Spencer, as most of us are as well. But to state such a statement that Brad teaching spencer is nonsense... well it makes the statement nonsense. Brad might not be a role model but with basketball he got a lot of experience.

Edit: Disregard the above post...after reviewing some of the older thread you definitely will see it your way or the high way.

Anyway I'm happy to see that Donte is doing well. Credit to GP anyone?

Last edited:
So does Jason Thompson. So does Spencer Hawes. So does Kevin Martin. It's nice to be in a position of promise.
See this is where I disagree. To be a successful face of a franchise you need to be good and you need charisma. I'm not sure if I see Jason or Spencer with a ton of charisma. Kevin has it and for now he is the face of our franchise. Donte's got a special personality so if he ends up being a great NBA player, then he can pull it off.

:confused:

You definitely hard on Spencer, as most of us are as well. But to state such a statement that Brad teaching spencer is nonsense... well it makes the statement nonsense. Brad might not be a role model but with basketball he got a lot of experience.

Edit: Disregard the above post...after reviewing some of the older thread you definitely will see it your way or the high way.

Anyway I'm happy to see that Donte is doing well. Credit to GP anyone?
What is Brad going to teach Spencer about basketball? Seriously, think about it. What has made Brad a living in the NBA are his passing and shooting skills. In my opinion, those skills are hard to learn. Brad is not going to teach Spencer how to shoot the ball or how to pass. Spencer has low post skills already that Brad never had. I personally think that Spencer has already picked up on some bad traits that Brad has and I don't think that will be good for his career. I think more than anything, young guys like Spencer need to have good NBA role models to teach them about things like integrity, how to be a good teammate, dealing with the media, etc. These are all things that Brad fails miserably at.

Like I said before, if a guy like Vlade Divac was still around, I would love for him to mentor Spencer. That's a guy that could teach him a few things.

Brad is not going to teach Spencer how to shoot the ball or how to pass.
Brad isn't going to teach him how to shoot, but yes, he can teach him how to pass. Brad was not nearly the passer he is today until he got to Sacramento, and I'm pretty sure Vlade played a part in the development of this part of his game.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Brad isn't going to teach him how to shoot, but yes, he can teach him how to pass. Brad was not nearly the passer he is today until he got to Sacramento, and I'm pretty sure Vlade played a part in the development of this part of his game.

Actually that is not quite right -- Brad was actually an amazing passer in Indiana, but the problem was that they did not run an offense that let him make decisions with the ball. His passing was wasted because they had him just playing a traditional big man role. Playing with Chris & Valde I thinnk helped, as did the entire system when he arrived here -- foor the first time I think it made him think that a big man controlling the game with his passing was within the realm of possibility. But the skills and instincts were already there, just underutilized.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Is Brad really going to teach Hawes how to pass? I think Hawes has as much god-given passing ability as Brad. Maybe more. All Hawes needs is experience, working with his teamates, getting to know their game, experiencing different defenses in order to improve his recognition on the floor. Every minute that Brad takes away from Hawes on the floor is less experience for Hawes. Brad's presence is more a negative than a positive.

If the Maloofs want a role model/coach for Hawes, forget about Vlade. Get Kareem. Hawes wants to learn the sky-hook. Who's better than than Kareem? Think big and go for the gusto. Get the best there is.

Actually that is not quite right -- Brad was actually an amazing passer in Indiana, but the problem was that they did not run an offense that let him make decisions with the ball. His passing was wasted because they had him just playing a traditional big man role. Playing with Chris & Valde I thinnk helped, as did the entire system when he arrived here -- foor the first time I think it made him think that a big man controlling the game with his passing was within the realm of possibility. But the skills and instincts were already there, just underutilized.
Right, in his last year with Indiana, he averaged 2.6 assists playing 31 minutes for a team that didn't at all emphasize passing by its centers. It didn't take any qualitative change in his passing abilities to manage 4 assists playing 35+ minutes on a team that regularly ran its offense through the center.

It was thrilling to watch Donte step up and deliver on his first NBA start - and also not wither down the stretch with extended minutes. He's anti-Douby! :)

I don't mean to bash Douby. I'm rooting for the guy to make it (Douby, you can do it - I believe in you even if you don't!) - but I fear his window of opportunity is shrinking to the size of a pinhole (which is probably the size of the basket to him right now).

On a historical note, Douby reminds me of Dennis "Deer in the Headlights" Hopson, who was aquired back in 1991 from the Chicago Bulls for Bobby Hansen & a 2nd round pick. Ahh, memories. (Douby, nooo, snap out of it!).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ah, but Dennis Hopson was actually pretty good as a 6th man the one year we had him. I was annoyed when we let him walk after that. A famous draft bust, but having him behind Mitch was actually a pretty strong shooting guard rotation. Averaged 11pts for us in about 21min/gm. Was never quite sure what happened. Maybe an attitude problem. Maybe our normal duhness at the time (think Jerry Reynolds was our GM at that point).

I have heard alot of these type of comments and i disagree. One thing I have to say about some king fans is they seem to want to bealive that Brad is going to somehow return to the way he once was.

Brad must go!

However on Greene I must say he played a great game on his 1st start.

Last edited:
Ah, but Dennis Hopson was actually pretty good as a 6th man the one year we had him. I was annoyed when we let him walk after that. A famous draft bust, but having him behind Mitch was actually a pretty strong shooting guard rotation. Averaged 11pts for us in about 21min/gm. Was never quite sure what happened. Maybe an attitude problem. Maybe our normal duhness at the time (think Jerry Reynolds was our GM at that point).
Brick, thanks for pointing that out. Memory fades sometimes (or in my case, completely disappears - or worse, I fabricate new things that I thought happened!). I thought he was the one that had a total meltdown in confidence and skills when he got traded to us. But I trust your memory much more than mine. :)

Is Brad really going to teach Hawes how to pass? I think Hawes has as much god-given passing ability as Brad. Maybe more. All Hawes needs is experience, working with his teamates, getting to know their game, experiencing different defenses in order to improve his recognition on the floor. Every minute that Brad takes away from Hawes on the floor is less experience for Hawes. Brad's presence is more a negative than a positive.

If the Maloofs want a role model/coach for Hawes, forget about Vlade. Get Kareem. Hawes wants to learn the sky-hook. Who's better than than Kareem? Think big and go for the gusto. Get the best there is.
the problem is he doesnt have any ties with sacramento and he is with the LAKERS training bynum... sadly i dont think bynum has the potential to learn enough of those things... he will always be that brute and not that skilled center