The Amazing Race - 10

Thanx for the heads up VF, I love that show. When the kids get a little older, the Mrs. and I are going to try out. We are a pretty entertaining couple if I may so myself, we would have a good chance.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I watch it on Ch. 13 out of Sacramento. They show all the network shows an hour early during prime time.

:)

There are some FANTASTIC teams this time! Talk about will and determination.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At least they got to see China.

;)

I'm very impressed with Peter and Sarah. I think they are the ones whose determination just might make the difference.

I like all the groups, should make for some very interesting TV.

Challenges seem a little tougher. Hopefully that trend continues throughout the race as that has been my only knock on the show.

Great first episode. WOOT now all I need it Las Vegas to start.

I am sure I will get flamed for the following "politically incorrect" statement but here goes: I was delighted that the first team was eliminated before the show was half over!! It just didn't sit well with me hearing them chant allah akbar and then when they refused to shake the womens hand because they were so "religious" and not a moment later had no problem with cursing... well good riddance as far as I am concerned. Now I can enjoy the show that I love.

I am sure I will get flamed for the following "politically incorrect" statement but here goes: I was delighted that the first team was eliminated before the show was half over!! It just didn't sit well with me hearing them chant allah akbar and then when they refused to shake the womens hand because they were so "religious" and not a moment later had no problem with cursing... well good riddance as far as I am concerned. Now I can enjoy the show that I love.
That goes a bit further than just "politically incorrect".

All I gotta say is that it takes a WHOLE LOT to climb a 2- story wall (it looks like) with 1 leg... that took a lot of guts...

And yeah... that is a little more than "politically incorrect."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
For what it's worth, I completely understand where ImaKingsfan is coming from. It wasn't the religion itself, it was the apparent incongruity that got to me.

But they're no longer part of the show, so I think we can get past whether or not the comments made were "politically incorrect," which would end up getting this thread closed anyway.

------------------------------------
I agree that Sarah has guts, determination, and real grit. And with the support Peter gives her and the inspiration she gives him, I think they're going to be a very tough team to beat.

Agreed.

I was impressed with ALL of them climbing that wall. There were at least 5 people that I was convinced would NOT be able to do it.

I was glad to not have to sit through another season of a team using their religion to explain EVERYTHING (I came to despise "the florida family" from the family season... over and over again they were utter pricks and then would say "the others don't like us because we're religious"... it made me want to vommit. I was not lookng forward to a "praise allah" everytime this team managed to peel potatoes faster than some other team.

that said, I think the muslims handled the not-shaking-hands very well. They didn't do it, but they were smiley and joking, as was the woman they were talking to. They all seemed to get along well, before and after the incident, and the other teams (the ones that actually interacted with them on a 24 hour cross pacific flight) seemed to genuinely like them. (at least that was what they said when they were booted)

I was glad to not have to sit through another season of a team using their religion to explain EVERYTHING (I came to despise "the florida family" from the family season... over and over again they were utter pricks and then would say "the others don't like us because we're religious"... it made me want to vommit. I was not lookng forward to a "praise allah" everytime this team managed to peel potatoes faster than some other team.

that said, I think the muslims handled the not-shaking-hands very well. They didn't do it, but they were smiley and joking, as was the woman they were talking to. They all seemed to get along well, before and after the incident, and the other teams (the ones that actually interacted with them on a 24 hour cross pacific flight) seemed to genuinely like them. (at least that was what they said when they were booted)
Exactly.

everytime this team managed to peel potatoes faster than some other team.
I get the idea that the tasks will be harder than peeling potatoes this season.

I thought the Muslims would have brought an interesting "twist", but I do get tired of God or Allah being mentioned at every step.

The wall climb was inspiring to watch, I really hope to see even more challenging tasks that are also rewarding to competitors. That haystack challenge last year was hard to watch.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The tasks I like best are the ones that may not require the most strength or coordination, but do require teamwork and communication. A lot of times the teams seem to have the most trouble just talking to each other...

The tasks I like best are the ones that may not require the most strength or coordination, but do require teamwork and communication. A lot of times the teams seem to have the most trouble just talking to each other...
Agreed, it was nice to see how much the competitors got out of the wall though. It just seemed more rewarding for them than alot of the tasks that are completed.

And I liked the twist to the brick laying, the team that first figured out the border came in first. I am looking forward to better tasks and challenges this season. I noticed that they did not include an "older" couple like they have in the past, maybe because of more challenging and hopefully more rewarding tasks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And last night's episode was also pretty interesting. I think they're rewarding persistence more and initial response less, which is a lot like life.

I used to watch this as I did other things. This season, however, I'm actually sitting down and paying more attention. The dynamics between the team members AND the other teams are very compelling to me.

Good show...

So what's up with the names this season? I mean, "Tom and Jerry," and "James Taylor?"

Also, do we need here about a missing leg and overcoming drug addiction every two minutes?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. You seem to harbor a lot of resentment. Competing in something like this with only one leg is pretty danged impressive, IMHO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think all the reality shows ought to have one season where EVERYONE has the same name as a celebrity.

;)