The All-Purpose LOL Lakers thread

James has always been a point forward. Calling him a PG does not change much.
The Lakers will have lots of firepower, but who is going to play defense besides James and AD?
I think you run on them and keep the accelerator down.
I mean typically your "position" these days is based on who you are defending on the court. If he's going to be "PG" so that they can have a giant line up of mostly forwards on the court it's going to be ugly on the defensive end. Otherwise you'd think they'd use the point-forward language that has been commonplace for two decades now.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

We're only one meeting away from a Dwight/Javale center rotation. This is amazing.
Grizz need to hold out and milk the Lakers for everything they can get, just on principal. The Lakers have a pretty serious case of "ooh, look, that shiny thing, it's mine, right?" and I want them to actually have to feel some pain to get it for once.

Grizz need to hold out and milk the Lakers for everything they can get, just on principal. The Lakers have a pretty serious case of "ooh, look, that shiny thing, it's mine, right?" and I want them to actually have to feel some pain to get it for once.
Sure... IF you view the addition of Howard as and improvement. The Grizz may have a different view of the impact Howard is likely to have on LA in which case they may WANT to see him clogging up a roster spot, and hanging in the locker room of a conference competitor.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sure... IF you view the addition of Howard as and improvement. The Grizz may have a different view of the impact Howard is likely to have on LA in which case they may WANT to see him clogging up a roster spot, and hanging in the locker room of a conference competitor.
Putting aside the question of whether Howard will be a help or an anchor for the Lakers, let's be honest. The Grizz aren't going anywhere this year. The season doesn't start for months and they're already fighting for lotto position. They don't care about potentially sabotaging the Lakers' record, it's not like it could do them any good.

We're only one meeting away from a Dwight/Javale center rotation. This is amazing.
They wouldn't have this problem if Davis wasn't so adverse to playing C.

AD hates playing the 5 so much that it could potentially derail the Lakers season and he could leave if placed there too much. The Lakers are going to accommodate him at all costs and the hilarious byproduct of that is the mismatched pile of trash that is the Lakers big rotation (and their roster in general).

Putting aside the question of whether Howard will be a help or an anchor for the Lakers, let's be honest. The Grizz aren't going anywhere this year. The season doesn't start for months and they're already fighting for lotto position. They don't care about potentially sabotaging the Lakers' record, it's not like it could do them any good.
The logic is strong with this one, however I think you undervalue schadenfreude.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

AD hates playing the 5 so much that it could potentially derail the Lakers season and he could leave if placed there too much. The Lakers are going to accommodate him at all costs and the hilarious byproduct of that is the mismatched pile of trash that is the Lakers big rotation (and their roster in general).
Dwight/Javale
AD/Kuzma/Dudley
(They literally have no small forwards aside from Lebron, who is more of a PF at this point in his career but apparently is going to be their PG this season)
Danny Green/KCP/Avery Bradley
Lebron/Rondo/Caruso

has the potential to be as much of a trainwreck as the original Dwight/Kobe/Zombie Nash superteam was.

Dwight/Javale
AD/Kuzma/Dudley
(They literally have no small forwards aside from Lebron, who is more of a PF at this point in his career but apparently is going to be their PG this season)
Danny Green/KCP/Avery Bradley
Lebron/Rondo/Caruso

has the potential to be as much of a trainwreck as the original Dwight/Kobe/Zombie Nash superteam was.
Washed/Meme
Fragile Superstar/No-D Volume Scorer/Washed
Inconsistent/Bad/Washed
Lebron/Washed/Who?

Danny Green in particular is someone I think will sputter. He needs an amazing spacing system to be an elite shooter (contender Spurs, Raptors), when it's not amazing you get him on the post-2014 midrange Spurs shooting anywhere from 33-37%. And since the Lakers don't have spacing...

What is the point of demanding a trade to one team and then refusing to play in the most glaring position of need after they turned the roster over for you? I hope they win 20 games.
Really, this roster construction is about as head-scratching as what the Lakers did last year. No SFs? Putting their only good young player (Kuzma) on the bench so AD can start at PF? A bunch of old or mediocre shooting guards?

The best lineup the Lakers could roll out to maximize the players they have would likely be:

Davis
Kuzma
Green
Bradley
LeBron

with Bradley playing SG on offense but guarding opposing PGs because I can't imagine LeBron doing that night in and night out.

That lineup has pretty good defense and spreads the floor for both LeBron and Davis.

Instead they'll placate Davis by starting JaVale or Dwight and making Kuzma the sixth man?

I think if LeBron and Davis are healthy they are still enough to carry them to the postseason but I'd really love to see the Lakers miss the playoffs again.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
2007 Cavaliers would like a word
Big Z was still semi-good and Larry Hughes miraculously wasn’t horrible off the ball that season. In terms of talent though that team certainly loses to the Lakers roster.

At the same time, the guys on the team knew they were role players and played like it while this Lakers roster features two superstars and like five dudes who play like they don’t realize they aren’t superstars.

Big Z was still semi-good and Larry Hughes miraculously wasn’t horrible off the ball that season. In terms of talent though that team certainly loses to the Lakers roster.

At the same time, the guys on the team knew they were role players and played like it while this Lakers roster features two superstars and like five dudes who play like they don’t realize they aren’t superstars.
Also this roster was actually constructed by LeBron lol

The Taco Tuesday thing blew up on reddit over the weekend. People went nuts and then some "rational" lawyer types explained how it's just for his podcast and he won't be enforcing trademark protection on local restaurants and so it's not some kind of massive overreach or something.

And yet here I am with a better than average understanding of trademark law thinking this is absolutely nuts. And yeah, maybe focus on getting to the playoffs because not everyone has you penciled into the WCF.

The Taco Tuesday thing blew up on reddit over the weekend. People went nuts and then some "rational" lawyer types explained how it's just for his podcast and he won't be enforcing trademark protection on local restaurants and so it's not some kind of massive overreach or something.

And yet here I am with a better than average understanding of trademark law thinking this is absolutely nuts. And yeah, maybe focus on getting to the playoffs because not everyone has you penciled into the WCF.
I heard about that; it was for his podcast but I thought he was also trying to trademark it for any use on social media.