The All-Purpose LOL Lakers thread

Magic just needs to go away and be quiet for a while. This isn't how you handle things like this. Unfortunately his massive ego won't allow for that.

It's very strange and unprofessional for a front office executive to quit the way he did and then immediately go make the rounds on seemingly every ESPN show to spill all the secrets and dirty laundry from his time there. That's something you normally find out about in snippets down the road or maybe in a book but not immediately afterwards.

Magic can say whatever he wants but clearly Magic cares more about Magic than the Lakers.

Magic just needs to go away and be quiet for a while. This isn't how you handle things like this. Unfortunately his massive ego won't allow for that.

It's very strange and unprofessional for a front office executive to quit the way he did and then immediately go make the rounds on seemingly every ESPN show to spill all the secrets and dirty laundry from his time there. That's something you normally find out about in snippets down the road or maybe in a book but not immediately afterwards.

Magic can say whatever he wants but clearly Magic cares more about Magic than the Lakers.
Speak for yourself. I'm more than okay with all of this.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh I'm ok with it. LA loves drama and nonsense so it's fitting that this is exactly what they are getting. I'm just saying in a general sense this is not the way to behave.
It's Magic Johnson. I wouldn't expect anything differently. He's bled Laker purple and gold for decades. He feels betrayed by what happened and I think it's pretty clear he feels the Laker image has also been damaged/betrayed.

MegaLULZ
Lakers 2.0: The failed reboot of the NBA's crown jewel

Just one highlight:
In November, NBA commissioner Adam Silver and Maverick Carter, LeBron's longtime business partner, met for lunch. James' agent, Rich Paul, was seated at a nearby table, and at one point, approached Silver to complain about Walton, multiple sources familiar with the interaction told ESPN. Paul said he didn't believe Walton was the right coach for the Lakers. Silver shrugged off the remark and asked whom Paul thought would be the right coach. Paul suggested Tyronn Lue.

Last edited:
There is tons of material in that link thanks!

In the aftermath of signing James, Lakers management, tasked with building a roster around him, nabbed mercurial veterans -- guards Rajon Rondo and Lance Stephenson, center JaVale McGee and forward Michael Beasley. The signings were criticized publicly, though Pelinka defended them. And James, who was consulted on the deals, signed off.

But coaching staffers and others in basketball operations said Pelinka and Johnson made the signings while seeking little to no consultation from them, even forgoing gathering intel from staffers who had previously worked with some of the players they had signed. Some employees learned of the signings through media reports. A Lakers spokesperson said Pelinka and Johnson consulted with everyone in the front office but that decisions ultimately rested with them.

"We all had the same reaction that the basketball world did, like what the f--- are we doing?" one Lakers coaching staff member told ESPN. "Not only are we not getting shooting, but we're also getting every basket case left on the market."

"We were all confused," a front office staffer said. "All of it made no sense."

LOL

And before that, Russell out to dump Mozgov, Luol Deng contracts....

Comedy gold.

"And so the perception existed among the Lakers' coaching staff that Rich Paul sought to oust Walton. And some players also believed, according to coaching staff members and those players' agents, that Klutch Sports was working to trade them away for a superstar. Given those perceptions, one former Lakers player described Paul's presence on the team charter as a "culture killer."

Given Klutch's access, rival agents -- even those representing players on the roster -- said they were wary of allowing young clients to join the Lakers, fearing they'd be recruited or poached.
"

The info that's coming out are part of what I was referring to about the need for the Lakers to trade LeBron ASAP if they want to rebuild quickly and have a chance to sign top free agents. We've heard and read for years tidbits here and there about LeBron's controlling takeover of franchise style by him and his boys.

There is a reason why Paul George didn't want no part of this drama show and you have to think that part of the reason is his agent telling him to avoid this at all cost. Other agents are going to steer their players away from the Lakers knowing both LeBron and Rich Paul will be tampering with them.

Lakers nation thought Jim Buss was the incompetent one in the family until Jeanie booted him out and started making the real decisions for the franchise.

There is nothing better in sports than watching the large market sports teams with lots of money fail.
That would be teams like Los Angeles, New York and Chicago.
There is something really odd about hearing O Canada before the NBA finals, but I really like it.

So first Rich Paul today says "Does not matter what team Pels trade AD to, he will be FA in 2020"
Why? Obvious to me he wants to make all competing offers go to crap since all other offers will be for 1 year rental.

Now I just read Stien says Lakers making Ingram,Ball and No 4 pick available (Hmmmm less than offer to Pels in feb)

I think Lakers need to Trade Ball to Chicago for No 7 pick, then offer Ingram,Kuzma, and No 4 and 7 picks to get the job done.

If they stick with Ingram, Ball and No 4, I think the bad taste in Pels mouth from Feb will have them Tell Lakers to pound sand
and they get less assets from the highest bidders

Why in the world is a single player having lunch with the commissioner of the league in which he or she plays?
When it's all said and done it wouldn't surprise me if Adam Silver ends up being more crooked than David Stern could ever be.

It definitely concerns me that Adam Silver is having lunch with individual players/agents and discussing the job status of their coach. It concerns me that he has so much interest in the various free agents and where they play. It concerns me that talks about and directly to Zion Williamson (a college player not even yet in the league). It concerns me that he talks so openly about all of these things (although who knows maybe this is a good thing......)

My fear is that instead of trying to keep the league on the up-and-up, Adam Silver is in cahoots with these players and agents and trying to help create these super teams and also help the darling franchises like the Lakers. That's not his job to show blatant favoritism to certain players/teams.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I have never liked super teams hatched by a few controlling players and LeBron truely fits that to a t.

I may tune in for a few pelicans games this year.
They could be interesting and the next week I will look forward to seeing if they keep the 4th pick. I can see them getting a pretty good addition from someone if they wanted to trade it away.