The All-Purpose LOL Lakers thread

They’re now interviewing JB Bickerstaff. Apparently Kurt Rambis and his wife Linda Rambis is special consultant to Jeanie Buss during this hiring process. I really don’t know what Rambis has done so far that somehow he always have a job. It’s not like he did much in Minnesota as a head coach when he got can yet always seems to be around

Does anyone know if Lue was chosen by blatt or the cavs made the hire and forced him onto blatt’s staff. If it’s the latter, I can see how Lue got the head coaching job and how he used to call plays behind the head coaches back and is worried about a strong assistant coach doing the same to him.

Does anyone know if Lue was chosen by blatt or the cavs made the hire and forced him onto blatt’s staff. If it’s the latter, I can see how Lue got the head coaching job and how he used to call plays behind the head coaches back and is worried about a strong assistant coach doing the same to him.
Wait so then there would be two coaches having their plays ignored by King James?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Lakers get Vogel... that’s... probably better than Lue? Vogel was once a hot commodity before his Magic flameout while Lue is nothing more than LeBron’s bagboy.

I feel like he is probably better tactically than all the also rans they were going to go with. But if LA makes a big FA signing I can't see him managing the egos while developing their young guys and surviving LA. And if they don't make a big signing, they are just a dumpster fire team with a middle of the road small market coach who has had varying success in the lEastern Conference.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I feel like he is probably better tactically than all the also rans they were going to go with. But if LA makes a big FA signing I can't see him managing the egos while developing their young guys and surviving LA. And if they don't make a big signing, they are just a dumpster fire team with a middle of the road small market coach who has had varying success in the lEastern Conference.
The big issue is that he's already got lame duck status thanks to them also hiring Jason Kidd to lead his assistant coaches.

The big issue is that he's already got lame duck status thanks to them also hiring Jason Kidd to lead his assistant coaches.
Also true. They say Kidd is supposed to take on the youth development role, but you know that guy wants another head coaching shot. It's somewhat interesting to note that according to Woj this was pushed by Rambis, who was impressed by his interview with NY. Vogel lost that job to Hornacek, who was rumored as an assistant to us. I imagine that is dead, but I would be cool if it happened. Either way, seems like they are getting rejects from the 2016 coaching carousel.

Ha, effing, ha.

Because lebron has more control than they’d like to let on
From the outside looking in, drawing off comments from Lakers fans elsewhere, there is no confidence in Jeanie, Rob, or anyone else in the front office. No one seems to have a clue. The Rambii (Kurt and Linda) have emerged from the shadow realm and most Lakers fans seem floored at how much sway they apparently enjoy.

Lebron is very intelligent and it seems to me he became the brightest basketball mind there by default. LeGM in some capacity would be inevitable in such an environment.

Just jumping off your comment @Reverend because I agree with it.

Lakers get Vogel... that’s... probably better than Lue? Vogel was once a hot commodity before his Magic flameout while Lue is nothing more than LeBron’s bagboy.
Vogel is like Joerger, an outdated retread that the league is rapidly passing by.

But... it's not to the point where we can just point and laugh at them for a colossal blunder of a hire.

I wonder how much % of Lakers she currently owns? I know originally all 6 Buss children received 11%. What I don’t know is whether she bought out or acquired any of the others. If so, she could be worth considerably more than 500M since the Lakers are reportedly worth upwards of 4B.

AEG owns 25%. Soon owns less than 5%.

The only way the Lakers turns this thing around quickly is if they get rid of LeBron. Word is Jeanie really wanted to trade him and release the Lakers from the hold of Bron/Rich Paul. I know the public stance now is "we're not trading LeBron". But I'm inclined to think that it's because they know no one is willing to give up any real assets for a drama queen star who turns 35 about 1.5 month into next season.

Magic did a horrendous job and Jeanie has no clue about the basketball side of things. People want to give Magic credit for bringing Lebron, but the reality is he was going to LA for Hollywood regardless and the Lakers brand was better for the Lebron brand. He supposedly had 17 TV/movie projects lined up for his production company so there was no way he wasn't going to LA.

The smart thing to do would be to trade Lebron for draft picks and some young players even though they won't be top 5 picks. There is zero chance they can build a contender around LeBron in time because at this age, he plays zero defense, can't shoot and really needs another star to carry the load for the entire season. The problem is that any star who's good enough to carry LBJ is not going to play under his celeb shadow.

Too many stories about LeBron's diva ways have leaked and no real star wants to deal with it and give Lebron the credit if they win. He can still put up stats because it's really easy for him to if he just paces himself and doesn't play defense. It's kind of like when Boogie said something along the lines of "To tell you the truth, it's really easy for me to get 20 & 10 every night if all I want to do is but up numbers".

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The only way the Lakers turns this thing around quickly is if they get rid of LeBron. Word is Jeanie really wanted to trade him and release the Lakers from the hold of Bron/Rich Paul. I know the public stance now is "we're not trading LeBron". But I'm inclined to think that it's because they know no one is willing to give up any real assets for a drama queen star who turns 35 about 1.5 month into next season.

Magic did a horrendous job and Jeanie has no clue about the basketball side of things. People want to give Magic credit for bringing Lebron, but the reality is he was going to LA for Hollywood regardless and the Lakers brand was better for the Lebron brand. He supposedly had 17 TV/movie projects lined up for his production company so there was no way he wasn't going to LA.

The smart thing to do would be to trade Lebron for draft picks and some young players even though they won't be top 5 picks. There is zero chance they can build a contender around LeBron in time because at this age, he plays zero defense, can't shoot and really needs another star to carry the load for the entire season. The problem is that any star who's good enough to carry LBJ is not going to play under his celeb shadow.

Too many stories about LeBron's diva ways have leaked and no real star wants to deal with it and give Lebron the credit if they win. He can still put up stats because it's really easy for him to if he just paces himself and doesn't play defense. It's kind of like when Boogie said something along the lines of "To tell you the truth, it's really easy for me to get 20 & 10 every night if all I want to do is but up numbers".
I'm all for making fun of the Lakers but you're crazy if you think there aren't 29 teams out there who would trade for possibly the greatest player of all time if the right opportunity presented itself.

I'm all for making fun of the Lakers but you're crazy if you think there aren't 29 teams out there who would trade for possibly the greatest player of all time if the right opportunity presented itself.
I think there is truth to both sides here. LeBron is instantly going to kill a lot of the chemistry on at least 2/3rds of the teams in the league, but he'd also sell out the remaining 3 seasons, sell a ton of jerseys and get your team on national TV 30 games including a Christmas day game for the remainder of his contract even if his team never got out of the lottery.

Not making fun of the Lakers, just speaking truth and I think you are missing the point. Of course Lebron is still a good player, but there aren't many teams that would really give up valuable assets that the Lakers would actually want in return.

In a trade, the Lakers would either want a younger star and draft picks or a very high (top 3) draft pick and solid young players in return. How many teams would be willing to give that up for a player whose going to be 35 in December and likely doesn't want to be there because he's pissed to be forced to leave Hollywood?

The answer is "not many". Now if you narrow that down to the teams who would be willing AND actually has assets that the Lakers want, slim to none.

You are thinking about crazy athletic 2-way Lebron from the Heat or the dominant general on the floor against the 73 win Warriors, but he is no longer that. His poor defense is a much bigger problem than the media are willing to portray and he takes a lot of plays off. At this point, he needs a star equal or greater than him in order to even have a chance to really compete in the playoffs.

I think there is truth to both sides here. LeBron is instantly going to kill a lot of the chemistry on at least 2/3rds of the teams in the league, but he'd also sell out the remaining 3 seasons, sell a ton of jerseys and get your team on national TV 30 games including a Christmas day game for the remainder of his contract even if his team never got out of the lottery.

You are right on about the chemistry thing. The perception that everyone wants to play with Lebron is false. There is a reason why the Lakers faltered so badly after the all star break. No one wanted to play their hearts out for a guy that was casually pushing to trade half of his teammates/brothers for Anthony Davis.

There was a story after the season about the young kids loving Rondo because he was real with them and showed up to every practice and pre-game sessions even during his injury recovery just so he can help the young fellas. Injured Lebron used his time on his Hollywood projects and rarely showed up to practice and would show up a few mins before tip off with a glass of wine in his hand.

There is a reason why Paul George asked if Lebron was going to sign with the Lakers and once he confirmed it, resigned with the Thunder without even meeting with magic.

He did say real assets. And besides, some here wouldn't have traded Cousins for 29 year old LeBron.