The 2024 Playoff Chase Thread

Yes 8-2 would get it done, but next to no chance of that . In fact there is a greater chance the Kings could melt down and miss the playoffs entirely than go 8-2. Its not too high either, but higher than going 8-2. Too much bed wedding - Kings are fodder. Every time you think you've seen their worst, they unpleasantly one-up you.
8-2 - Unrealistic Expectation?
7-3 - What I'm hoping for
6-4 - What I think will end up happening

My neutral view. It was sporting of Giddey to offer to help Jabari up.... but Jabari wasn't ready to be helped up and ignored Giddey's offered hand... upon which Giddey tried to pull Jabari up against his will... Brooks didnt like that and pushed Giddey away... and Giddey came back to protest despite having done wrong.

That tech should have been on Giddey only. Brooks didn't do anything wrong there except protect his teammate.
I just wanted to point out the whole Rockets "mentality" that Udoka has created and how it makes them not to be liked by many people even though they are a young team. I used that Brooks action as an example just because it was the most recent one. I don't like watching this "macho" things, last night if you noticed when Doncic fouled Keegan that was trying to dunk he went straight over him to make sure he was ok, Kings players were also there, nobody shoved anyone. Perhaps if Lyles were there things would be different.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to point out the whole Rockets "mentality" that Udoka has created and how it makes them not to be liked by many people even though they are a young team. I used that Brooks action as an example just because it was the most recent one. I don't like watching this "macho" things, last night if you noticed when Doncic fouled Keegan that was trying to dunk he went straight over him to make sure he was ok, Kings players were also there, nobody shoved anyone. Perhaps if Lyles were there things would be different.
players tend to take on the personality of their coach, either that or they just tune him out. Rockets are taking the persona of a Udoka/Brooks no backing down type of approach towards their opponents. Coach Brown and Malik alluded to in past post game interviews how the team in general is a quiet bunch and so expecting them to all of a sudden become feisty or physical is just not the type of cloth their made of. You want nasty and intimidating? go out and get players that fit that mold.

Well, I haven't seen the Rockets trying to be extra macho. They're not being pushovers but I haven't seen them being over-the-top either.

I can't remember the Luka-Keegan incident that you bring up... but if Luka had tried to forcibly pull Keegan up when he wasn't ready to get up (like Giddey did to Jabari), I think it would have been right for the other Kings players to have reacted exactly as Brooks did. Luka didn't do that though, did he? He only went over to make sure Keegan was okay from what you're saying.

Well, I haven't seen the Rockets trying to be extra macho. They're not being pushovers but I haven't seen them being over-the-top either.

I can't remember the Luka-Keegan incident that you bring up... but if Luka had tried to forcibly pull Keegan up when he wasn't ready to get up (like Giddey did to Jabari), I think it would have been right for the other Kings players to have reacted exactly as Brooks did. Luka didn't do that though, did he? He only went over to make sure Keegan was okay from what you're saying.
Yeah Luka's foul was normal, he went for the ball, he didn't even foul him on purpose, but Keegan was coming fast so when he went down Luka went to make sure he was ok.

I still think the Kings will match or exceed last seasons win total. I just hate these dumb back to backs
1711662072333.png

If we can escape this schedule with an 8-2 (0.800) record, I don't care what anyone else here says, nor will I care if we lose either in the play-in, or in the first round. The simple fact that we we went 8-2 over our final 10 games will be enough of a reason for us to celebrate. I'll honestly be surprised if we can manage a record better than 0.500.

With the way the Kings play and being the type of 3 point shooting, non dominant offensive player outside of Fox team that they are, I think it's hard for them to "get up" for certain games. If they beat teams it's because they are in rhythm and shots are falling. Without that rhythm Fox basically has it all on him to go nuclear. The more time that goes on I think it's indeed better for the Kings to wet their whistle a little with a win 2 or go home play in series then come into the playoffs with some confidence and flow.

Now that we’re practically eliminated from the top 6, here’s where the play-in race stands:

7. Phoenix 43-31
8. Sacramento 42-31, 0.5 GB
9. LA Lakers 41-33, 2.0 GB
10. Golden State 39-34, 3.5 GB
———
11. Houston 38-35, 4.5 GB

Our remaining schedule:

vs. Utah
vs. LAC
@ New York
@ Boston (B2B)
@ Brooklyn
@ Oklahoma City
vs. New Orleans
vs. Phoenix (B2B)
vs. Portland

With all our injuries, I’m concerned we only win 3 or 4 games here. I think if you go at least 5-4, you guarantee yourself at least the 8th spot, since we have the tiebreaker with the Lakers.

View attachment 12523

If we can escape this schedule with an 8-2 (0.800) record, I don't care what anyone else here says, nor will I care if we lose either in the play-in, or in the first round. The simple fact that we we went 8-2 over our final 10 games will be enough of a reason for us to celebrate. I'll honestly be surprised if we can manage a record better than 0.500.
As long as the Kings went 8-2, and didn't make the play-in or playoffs, and you would celebrate? Not me. I also, think that most of our other Kings fans, would not be celebrating either. Isn't the idea here to win an NBA championship, and to do that, you must first make the play-in, playoffs?

Falling short of the playoffs would be dissapointing. Not looking forward to single elimination with the likes of the league face, and these injuries could be the nail. Hopeing for the best. Back to back payoffs would be dissapointing to me at this point. However they are still young, we have good management now, hopefully there's some room for improvemnt. I think some players still need to learn some mental apects as well. Especially if they are serious about winning it all.

Falling short of the playoffs would be dissapointing. Not looking forward to single elimination with the likes of the league face, and these injuries could be the nail. Hopeing for the best. Back to back payoffs would be dissapointing to me at this point. However they are still young, we have good management now, hopefully there's some room for improvemnt. I think some players still need to learn some mental apects as well. Especially if they are serious about winning it all.
I think there's a fair chance (maybe 30%?) they fully miss the playins with Monk's injury.
They made the right choice by kicking the tires for another season this year to see if synergy took shape, but the lack of any real improvement means time to mix thems up in trades, free agency, and draft. With Monk's injury Is Terence Davis available, -and could the Kings sign him for the playoffs? Where's Vezenkov?

It now becomes vital to secure the 7th or 8th seed. I have some confidence the Kings can win one of two games, no matter who the opponent is. That's all it takes.

After that, they would face either Minnesota or Oklahoma. The team has done well against both this season. Without Monk and Huerter, it would be harder, but they have faced adversity before.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think there's a fair chance (maybe 30%?) they fully miss the playins with Monk's injury.
They made the right choice by kicking the tires for another season this year to see if synergy took shape, but the lack of any real improvement means time to mix thems up in trades, free agency, and draft. With Monk's injury Is Terence Davis available, -and could the Kings sign him for the playoffs? Where's Vezenkov?
Missing the play-ins would be quite difficult and would require really falling on our faces. Ending up 9/10 and having to win two to get in? That's on the table.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think we probably go 4-5 now and risk finishing 9. Lakers are too close for comfort. But for us to fall out it would require the same teams beating Dallas that everyone has pencilled in as easy wins for them. Would take some amazingly unfortunate luck, and probably going 1-8 or 0-9.

Missing the play-ins would be quite difficult and would require really falling on our faces. Ending up 9/10 and having to win two to get in? That's on the table.
Without Monk, the Kings margin for error got a good chunk slimmer. I wouldn't have thought they miss everything before, but now it seems there's a chance. The Rockets have won 11 in a row and may dethrone the Celtics for the top win streak for the season and are streaking. The Kings are gonna have to win 3 games or more out of 9 at least I think for Play-ins. The Suns game is still the most important remaining game followed by Pelicans and Clippers. Behind,, the Lakers have an easier schedule which leaves the Warriors as who might be the odd-man-out. Could the Suns fallter with only 2 or 3 wins as well? Possibly. The Kings cannot afford 2 losses to any combination of the Jazz, Nets, and Trailblazers games. Would be surprised if they win more than 2 vs the reamining other teams without Monk.

It now becomes vital to secure the 7th or 8th seed. I have some confidence the Kings can win one of two games, no matter who the opponent is. That's all it takes.

After that, they would face either Minnesota or Oklahoma. The team has done well against both this season. Without Monk and Huerter, it would be harder, but they have faced adversity before.
The scoring droughts without monk and huerter really scare me, especially against good defensive teams like those. Hopefully Monk can get back if and when the Kings secure that playoff spot.

As long as the Kings went 8-2, and didn't make the play-in or playoffs, and you would celebrate? Not me. I also, think that most of our other Kings fans, would not be celebrating either. Isn't the idea here to win an NBA championship, and to do that, you must first make the play-in, playoffs?
I don't understand your question, as nowhere in my post did I say that I don't expect the Kings to miss out on the playoffs AND play-in completely. As a matter of fact, I am assuming that, by going 8-2, we would make it to at least the play-in. As a matter of fact, something would have to go drastically south in order for us to miss the play-in outright (we have a 4 game lead over the Rockets right now. I highly doubt the Rockets are going to finish the season having won four more games than us over the final 9 games (unless you REALLY think that we will do no better than 5-4).

What I did say in my original comment, in response to @NewArena, however, was, that even if we lost in the play-in or in the first round of the playoffs, if we do, somehow, find a way to go at least 8-2 over our final 10 games, I'd be able to justify having some degree of celebration given how difficult of a 10 game stretch we would be facing.

Going 8-2 over our final 10 (now 9) games, and our success in the play-in/postseason are being looked at as two independent events.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't understand your question, as nowhere in my post did I say that I don't expect the Kings to miss out on the playoffs AND play-in completely. As a matter of fact, I am assuming that, by going 8-2, we would make it to at least the play-in. As a matter of fact, something would have to go drastically south in order for us to miss the play-in outright (we have a 4 game lead over the Rockets right now. I highly doubt the Rockets are going to finish the season having won four more games than us over the final 9 games (unless you REALLY think that we will do no better than 5-4).

What I did say in my original comment, in response to @NewArena, however, was, that even if we lost in the play-in or in the first round of the playoffs, if we do, somehow, find a way to go at least 8-2 over our final 10 games, I'd be able to justify having some degree of celebration given how difficult of a 10 game stretch we would be facing.

Going 8-2 over our final 10 (now 9) games, and our success in the play-in/postseason are being looked at as two independent events.
If we went 8-2 and somehow missed the playoffs/play-in, I’d assume the league would be launching an investigation into how a bunch of the teams currently below us in the standings apparently got like five extra games on their schedule that they all won. Going 8-2 over the last 10 games but missing the postseason entirely is mathematically impossible lol.

Phoenix plays New Orleans tonight in the Crescent City. It could leave the Kings a half game ahead of the Suns. Every bit counts, especially with the Lakers hot on our heels.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I doubt it - Williamson is a Kings wrecking-ball for which they have no answer.
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but seeing the Kings get demolished and demoralized in the playoffs by a healthy Zion Williamson is a spectacle I'm willing to live with in 2024 if that pushes Monte McNair toward solving the PF situation right away instead of kicking it down the road another year. Our long-term goals and short-term goals shouldn't conflict with each other. Yes of course we want to win but I don't need to see a playoff series win this year to mark "progress" so much as I just want the team working toward eventually winning a championship within this current "Fox and Ox" window of opportunity. Small steps backward can still lead to good things.

I do think we've found a formula that works over the past few weeks with Fox, Ellis, Murray, and Sabonis. All four of those guys provide value on both sides of the floor. Monk should be part of that core group too but that depends on how much money he's willing to give up to stay in Sacramento and how badly he wants a starting role. Now that we're in that 40-50 win range in back-to-back seasons, we can feel reasonably safe that we have the beginnings of a winning formula. Now the question ultimately becomes "what needs to happen to make the jump from playoff participant to actual contender"?