The 2024 Playoff Chase Thread

I think we need 10 wins to secure a top 6 finish.
That would mean they will have to go 10-5 the rest of the way with a very tough schedule. Judging from the schedule kings only have 6-7 games where they are most likely favored to win, but the rest 8-9 games will be against teams where the kings aren't favored to win.

Kings will probably lose to some bad teams and beat some good teams to make up for losing to bad teams because that's just the way the season has gone. 10 games will for sure get the kings the 6th spot, but ultimately I think they will win 7-8 games more putting them at 46-47 wins. I think at minimum the kings at 47 might just get it done if the Kings win the tie breaker against the mavericks. The mavs would then have to go 9-5 the rest of the way to get the 6th seed.

I fear the mavs more than the suns since their schedule is a lot easier

Last edited:
The mavs have been really good against bad teams and their schedule is one of the easiest remaining.

So far this season they really only loss to 3 under .500 teams accounting for 4 losses. 2 against the grizzlies, 1 against the Jazz, and 1 against the Rockets.

Unless the kings go on a hot streak it's the mavs to lose the 6th seed.

As now (today) we would play Denver in the first round. That would be so fitting having the reigning NBA champs in the first round in two consecutive years.
My ranking on who I'd rather have the kings play in the first round if they make the 6th seed

1. Thunder (Don't see anyone who matches up well against Sabonis. He should be dominant in this series. The Thunder are also a young inexperienced team that may or may not be a factor.)

2. Timberwolves (Probably not the best match up for the kings since Gobert could possibly nullify Sabonis with his defense, but if towns isn't available and even if he was he'd be rusty then maybe the Kings could have a chance)

3. Nuggets (It could be competitive since the kings did go 3-1 against the nuggets, but I don't dont think they are beating the nuggets. The champs are the champs for a reason and they will rise to the occassion.)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
2. Timberwolves are more dangerous without Towns. They are way tougher defensively. And less Towns usually means more Anderson, who is like a more aggressive version of Barnes. You know that "slow-motion" thing that Barnes does every 6-7 games that gives opposing defenses fits? Well, Anderson does that every game.

3. Clippers would lowkey be a better playoff matchup for the Kings than the Nuggets. Clippers might have the Kings' number during the regular season but, outside of Kawhi, they are a team full of guys who have the reputation of being choke artists in the playoffs.

2. Timberwolves are more dangerous without Towns. They are way tougher defensively. And less Towns usually means more Anderson, who is like a more aggressive version of Barnes. You know that "slow-motion" thing that Barnes does every 6-7 games that gives opposing defenses fits? Well, Anderson does that every game.

3. Clippers would lowkey be a better playoff matchup for the Kings than the Nuggets. Clippers might have the Kings' number during the regular season but, outside of Kawhi, they are a team full of guys who have the reputation of being choke artists in the playoffs.
Yea I'd rather play the Clippers over the Nuggets for sure, but I don't think the Clippers will make the top 3 seed. However if somehow by miracle the Kings make the 5th seed I'd rather play the Clippers over the Pelicans for sure.

Last edited:
Dallas won at San Antonio despite Doncic hitting 6/27 shots (and Wemby 3/13 for the Spurs) climbing in the 7th spot, Houston had their 6th win in a row at Washington (that had unavailable 3 of the 5 starters, let's see if something similar will happen vs Kings) and are now 2.5 wins behind the Warriors for the 10th place, Pelicans won at Brooklyn and are now half a game behind the 4th Clippers while the Nuggets won at Minnesota and are now 2nd leaving the Wolves in the 3rd place.

Tomorrow all Western play off contenders are favorites to win their matches

Kings at Raptors
Thunder vs Jazz
Warriors vs Grizzlies
Suns vs Sixers
Clippers at Blazers

The Kings are 6-3 in the month of March with a defensive rating that ranks top 6 in the league, offensive rating at 7th, i believe. They chose the best time to get it going and that's a recipe for success.
Yet the know-nothing media talking heads still cite defense as the reason they don’t believe in the KINGS while saying nothing about defense wrt Phoenix, Dallas, LAL, etc.

Hypocrites.

Thunder are crazy pesky (on defense).

I'm waiting for Clippers to start their unhealthy/injured trends and hopefully leapfrog them.
Big thing with the Thunder is Chet has just been total swiss cheese vs Domas. He can't handle his physicality at all.

Stopping Shai damn near impossible, but I like that Domas vs Chet match-up. They just don't have the size to handle him

Dallas won at San Antonio despite Doncic hitting 6/27 shots (and Wemby 3/13 for the Spurs) climbing in the 7th spot, Houston had their 6th win in a row at Washington (that had unavailable 3 of the 5 starters, let's see if something similar will happen vs Kings) and are now 2.5 wins behind the Warriors for the 10th place, Pelicans won at Brooklyn and are now half a game behind the 4th Clippers while the Nuggets won at Minnesota and are now 2nd leaving the Wolves in the 3rd place.

Tomorrow all Western play off contenders are favorites to win their matches

Kings at Raptors
Thunder vs Jazz
Warriors vs Grizzlies
Suns vs Sixers
Clippers at Blazers
Was keeping a close eye on that game. It was sooo frustrating watching Wemby play. For a guy his size he should be shooting better than 46% overall and shouldn't be taking 5+ 3's a game especially when he's shooting a low percentage. He plays super soft and is lacking the strength to do anything down low on the offensive end. It makes you appreciate sabonis tough physical style a lot more with how soft some of these big men are. That being said he's still a rookie so hard to judge where he'll be 5 years from now. My bet is he'll probably get it together.

Big thing with the Thunder is Chet has just been total swiss cheese vs Domas. He can't handle his physicality at all.

Stopping Shai damn near impossible, but I like that Domas vs Chet match-up. They just don't have the size to handle him
And he’d have to take that physicality/beating 4-7 games in a row. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t hurting after that series.

And he’d have to take that physicality/beating 4-7 games in a row. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t hurting after that series.
And while I like Jaylin Williams as a defender, he just doesn't have the size either to handle Domas.

Do feel like they made a mistake not going and getting a "big" big in the West. Jokic, Domas, Nurkic, Gobert, Zubac, jval all atop the conference. Not guys you want Chet having to handle for a playoff series without help

And while I like Jaylin Williams as a defender, he just doesn't have the size either to handle Domas.

Do feel like they made a mistake not going and getting a "big" big in the West. Jokic, Domas, Nurkic, Gobert, Zubac, jval all atop the conference. Not guys you want Chet having to handle for a playoff series without help
I think Chet helps them in other ways (scoring from distance, opening space for SGA to attack the basket) and they don't have so many similar issues with other teams/centers like they do against Domas. The thing about Chet and Wemby is that their body looks like they can get injured easily (as did Chet last season) but Chet has been extremely healthy throughout the season, while Wemby is like in a constant sort of minute restriction schedule to avoid getting injured or fatigue or whatever. Anyway what I mean is that an "old fashioned" center for Thunder could disrupt their offense tactics and they don't risk giving away some of their assets or future draft picks.

I think Chet helps them in other ways (scoring from distance, opening space for SGA to attack the basket) and they don't have so many similar issues with other teams/centers like they do against Domas. The thing about Chet and Wemby is that their body looks like they can get injured easily (as did Chet last season) but Chet has been extremely healthy throughout the season, while Wemby is like in a constant sort of minute restriction schedule to avoid getting injured or fatigue or whatever. Anyway what I mean is that an "old fashioned" center for Thunder could disrupt their offense tactics and they don't risk giving away some of their assets or future draft picks.
Oh don't get me wrong. Chet is amazing. Literally the only question I have about his game is if he ever develops his body enough to be able to withstand blows from the beefy big dudes who's game is to be punishing inside. Chet is an amazing competitor, but often just doesn't matter when you're giving up 40-50 pounds on the interior

So all playoff teams won in the West, no change in the standings.
Kris Murray had more points than Keegan (17 career high) facing the Clippers.

Tomorrow matches again all playoff contenders seem to have an easy task, probably Pelicans have the toughest match but still they are the favorites (-2.5 handicap according to the bookies, same handicap in favor of Houston vs Chicago)

Pelicans at Magic
Kings at Wizards
Rockets vs Bulls
Mavs vs Jazz (no idea how Utah kept it close at Oklahoma, without Lauri)
Nuggets vs Knicks
Suns vs Hawks

And now the injuries are piling up all over the league. Awful smh the league was doing a semi-decent job of staying healthy compared to previous recent seasons.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And now the injuries are piling up all over the league. Awful smh the league was doing a semi-decent job of staying healthy compared to previous recent seasons.
Probably helped that they were actually calling fouls for the first part of the season. The current pivot to “anything goes as long as it’s in traffic” is probably not great for player health.