Tennis: Grand Slammin Australian Open 2008

Hey tennis fans.
The new season is upon us and we are now talking about the land down under. Let's not talk about Federer, though, because his five set miracle over surging Serb Janko Tipsarevic was just too much talent and, gasp, good fortune. The Serb had him. Just like the Ravens, the Eagles and the Giants had the New England Patriots only to fall in the final moments...

I confess i am tired of the Federer follies just as i long tired of the Patriot pastiche. One senses greatness but the smell of smug is much too pungent, if not repugnant.

No, the match that i am really here to talk about concerns the most endearing personality on the men's court and that is Marco Baghdatis who readily lights up the court of every country w/ every heartwrenching conquest he takes on. Last night, er, this morning was no exception.

He took on the indefatigable and perhaps most gruesome tennis warrior since Michael Chang, Lleyton Hewitt. Moreover, Lleyton just happend to be the favorite son of the Australian nation, playing right in his own back yard, Melbourne. If you haven't heard, that match started late last night, Australian time, and finished in the wee hours of the morning some four and a half hours later, some time after Baghdatis turned his ankle only to bounce right back on the court after it was taped up.

But i will be brief from here on in...Marco Baghdatis is one of the few competitors on the men's side that i can watch. And he couldn't have had a more suitable opponent to set the stage for this epic match that commentators Dauren Cahill and Patrick McEnroe offered was one for the ages. It was a slugfest. How many of us play for such stakes through the wee hours of the morning. Talk about vapors and adrenalin...

Fearsome rallies, wonder shots, lunging winners and a remarkable ebbs and flows to an all night match that made history. It was amazing to watch Marcos bring still another outlandish smile over his face in the heat of the battle and in the midst of everything he was enduring in the final moments of his demise. But what was most telling, if not heartbreaking - above and beyond the fact that he welcomed Hewitt with a deep and enduring hug immediately following the the 5 set marathon - was the quiet, tender gait of a now sullen figure from the land of Cyprus walking off the court in tears...

We are all left to wonder what those tears were about. My guess was that it was more than being totally exhausted by the match that took more than he had to give. No my bet was that he felt like he let his countrymen and women down, those crazed throngs of nationals in the upper stands of Rod Laver stadium cheering him throughout the endless early morning hours like it was a huge showdown for the Davis Cup.

My tennis friends, excuse the long winded diatribe but i am like a sponge that needs to wrench it out for this storied time in tennis where the game only gets faster and more precise and champions like Sampras and Federer are nothing less than bionic technicians in a mechanical bout of wits and instincts.

Give me the likes of Marcos Baghdatis anyday - win or lose. This man is a remarkable mix of talent, passion and tenacity who just happens to wear his heart on his sleeve. He is more than a great tennis player. He is an entertainer who loves the game and brings a rare and needed element of emotion to the hungry theatre we know as championship tennis.

When Andre Agassi left the game i thought tennis had lost it's golden boy w/nobody left to carry on. But for you fortunate ones that take an interest in the game of tennis and the career of the Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis count your lucky stars. Wonderful times ahead.

I cannot describe what i feel when i see this fierce competitor in the heat of battle flash that disarming smile at what would otherwise be considered a last gasp struggle for survival in a coliseum of cut throats. What is going through his mind that he can compete and yet enjoy such a moment. Hard to say. But i wish we could bottle it.

Hats off to you, Marcos. Bravo. Incredible match that i won't soon forget. And your tears speak volumes about the great fortune we all have to follow you through this remarkable game of Grand Slam Tennis....

I

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Very nice, Nazman!!! I confess to overlooking the Australian so far. After reading this I turned over to ESPN2 only to find Federer trailing Tipsarevic 2-1 with the 4th set tied at 1-1.

How huge would it be for Federer to be defeated at this point? I'm watching now, though, and don't know what happened early because his game looks spot on at this point.

Federer would be in real trouble had he lost this match. If Nadal were to win the AO, he would become the new number one! That would be a travesty if you ask me. I don't have anything against Nadal, but he is too inconsistent to be the next number one.

After this match however, I don't think anyone can stop the Fed machinery. He will be more than ready to win the whole thing. I like Federer, but my hope is that Novak Djokovic can take him out in the semis. Still, it's one match at a time, the semis are far away.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um, Savo? No offense meant whatsoever, but you just ruined the match for me. It wasn't OVER on my broadcast. If I might ask, please in the future do not talk about match results until you know we've finished watching.

Thanks...

:(

Hey VF21, sorry about that. I wasn't even thinking. And I know how bad it is when you're watching a re-run and you hear the final score too soon. It ruins the whole thing. I have problems like that all the time when I watch re-runs of NBA games (that's Europe for ya). Somehow I always manage to hear or see the final score somewhere. It sucks :(
Next time I'll add a SPOILER alert or something.

Don't worry, there will be more amazing matches to see. The real AO starts in the second week...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We actually have a spoiler button now. :p

But don't feel badly. Since I know the result, I've switched over to watching USC-UCLA basketball. So very much talent on those two teams!

:)

Oh yeah, and here's the spoiler tag.

Well you learn something new every day after all. This is the last time I'll ever ruin a match for you hehe.

Forgot to mention the ladies. The women. A force to be reckoned with. My favorite, always Maria Sharapova. She is hitting the snot out of the ball, folks. I don't know what has gotten in to her but she is hitting it harder and seems hell bent on making waves down under. She is playing tonight late in the evening on ESPN2. Can never bet against Henin or Serena. Stand by. Week 2 and lots of good grand slam tennis...

Sharapova vs Henin:
SPOILER - if you can watch the taped version of this match from late last night i would heartily
suggest it...don't read on if you do...

Hadn't had the opportunity to watch Maria play this whole tournament since she had been scheduled in the wee hours of the morniing PST over here last several matches. Thought i better stay up for this one. It was worth it. Maria played the game of her life. Will just leave it at that. If you can catch that match taped today i would heartily suggest it. Speaking as a guy, here, it is simply wonderful to see a beautiful woman play such incredible tennis. Double treat. (by the way Heniin - Maria's opponent comes into this match on a 32 game winning streak - so it was No 1 vs No 5 in the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam and was perhaps the match of the tourney so far in what has been a fairly extrarodinary Grand Slam thusfar)

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Forgot to mention the ladies. The women. A force to be reckoned with. My favorite, always Maria Sharapova. She is hitting the snot out of the ball, folks. I don't know what has gotten in to her but she is hitting it harder and seems hell bent on making waves down under. She is playing tonight late in the evening on ESPN2. Can never bet against Henin or Serena. Stand by. Week 2 and lots of good grand slam tennis...
much easier than betting against the Serbs these days in tennis

Let's meander away from the Slavs for a moment and focus on an unbelievable Frenchman. Jo Wilfried Tsonga, a relative unknown in Grand SLam tennis, is kicking Rafael Nadal's arse in the semis right now and nobody believes what they are seeing. Check it out. It's live and the hot topic at the Slam down under....

Last edited:
Not much traffic @KF these days for the first Slam of the new year but that's ok. We got a brilliant upstart named JW Tsonga. He steamrolled number 2 seed Rafael Nadal who had not lost a set up to this point in the tournament. Beat him 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2. It was the most magnificent display of tennis skills in some time. IF you missed it you can catch it tonight on replay at ESPN360. Great tennis. Called a scintillating match by the commentators. If Federer beats Djokovic and that's not for certain, it would be a must see final, folks. Stay tuned...

Catch the replay of the incredible Tsongas-Nadal match from earlier today on ESPN360 tonight if you are so inclined. Tsongas rocked Nadal and the Tennis Nation w/ a scintillating display of tennis. He goes into the final as the man to beat. Unseeded. A virtual unknown. Steamrolled the number 2 in the world and he is quite entertaining out there. CHeck it out...

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Not much traffic @KF these days for the first Slam of the new year but that's ok. We got a brilliant upstart named JW Tsonga. He steamrolled number 2 seed Rafael Nadal who had not lost a set up to this point in the tournament. Beat him 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2. It was the most magnificent display of tennis skills in some time. IF you missed it you can catch it tonight on replay at ESPN360. Great tennis. Called a scintillating match by the commentators. If Federer beats Djokovic and that's not for certain, it would be a must see final, folks. Stay tuned...
if it happens other way around - and it could - a whole country won't sleep or go to work for days.

Wow. This is great stuff for tennis fans. The future of men's tennis seems to be in good hands.
I can't believe i have been staying up to watch these matches. And it does not surprise me that the Serb, Djokovic has finally overtaken the Tennis Giant, Roger Federer. It was just a matter of time.

I guess you have to like Djokovic to beat Tsongas but to tell you the truth, after everything i've seen thusfar from the two of them, it's hard to call. I hope many of you will watch because like CHL says, "this is great stuff for tennis fans." And it is good to know that we have a few here at KF.

Won't miss a second of the women's final tonight. Babes in toyland. And then the men's to follow which i expect to be a masterpiece. Tennis is alive and well on Planet Earth.

if it happens other way around - and it could - a whole country won't sleep or go to work for days.
Piksi
I am very happy for the Serbian nation and suspect that they are all going crazy over there. Gotta say that my wife has some ancestry in that part of the world and as a second generation Italian American, i too have some affinity for the Serbs. They are a fascinating culture and endearing people.

We expect to make a visit there when we finally get to Europe. Wishing both Ivanovic and Djokovic well in their respective finals but they both have formidable opponents to engage before they get to the Promised Land.

Should be interesting. Very, very interesting...

Piksi
I am very happy for the Serbian nation and suspect that they are all going crazy over there. Gotta say that my wife has some ancestry in that part of the world and as a second generation Italian American, i too have some affinity for the Serbs. They are a fascinating culture and endearing people.

We expect to make a visit there when we finally get to Europe. Wishing both Ivanovic and Djokovic well in their respective finals but they both have formidable opponents to engage before they get to the Promised Land.

Should be interesting. Very, very interesting...
Do that. 3 year ago I took my boss on a road trip (after our business trip to Germany) to Italy (he is Italian American too), then via Slovenia and Croatia to Serbia (it's all autobahn, all the way to Belgrade). That was a blast.

Congratulations, Maria! You worked hard. You are a fierce and uncompromising competitor. And you deserve this moment.

Last edited:
Too bad Ana lost.. she's my favorite player on tour.

Hopefully she'll be at Indian Wells this year and I can actually make it out to watch some tennis.