Team captain

Since C-Webb is gone, any ideas on who will be the new team captain? I'm sure it will have to be Bibby, Peja, or Bobby since they have been around the longest, but I am not sure which one it will be.

chelle said:
Since C-Webb is gone, any ideas on who will be the new team captain? I'm sure it will have to be Bibby, Peja, or Bobby since they have been around the longest, but I am not sure which one it will be.
Doubt it would be Bobby since he's not even a starter.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
chelle said:
Bibby most likely. But Cat obviosuly has the personality, if not the tenure, for it.

Bibby has control of the team for now..He is making the decisions on the offense,but not taking command on the defense side, which means we need a leader that does both because this ain't football

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
While I see a lot to indicate Bibby, I think it actually might end up more "captain by committee," with Bibby, Bobby, Cat and even Brad having input, etc.

The players are still trying to find their new identities in the post-Webber era. I think it may actually be a while before they get down to things like team captains.

I would have to agree along the lines of VF21. I could see finding what the new identity is going to be before deciding who will lead.

Bibby is the captain but I don't think that's what Petrie thinks. Peja will be named captain, longest Sacramento King on the team now. Cat will never be a captain there unless all leave and he's the only one left.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The PLAYERS select their team captain. Not the fans, not Rick Adelman, and not Geoff Petrie. The team decides who they think should be named their captain.

Oddly enough, during one of the games after the Mobley trade that Chris didn't play in (but Peja did) it was CAT who went to the center circle to meet with the refs (usually the team Captains job)

piksi

Hall of Famer
Pedja was a captan of the national team in 2003.

Judging from that experience - we really need somebody else because Pedja is just to quiet and not the greatest motivator. If he plays as well as he can for us - that is about it.

team captain????

jeez. i didn't realize how important vlade, doug, and chris (especially vlade) were in terms of leadership before i started to think of who the team captain should be!! i mean, i did but man are we going to miss those guys in that area. now that those veterans are gone i would have to say the team captain would be mike or maybe bobby. mike, because he's the best player on the team and the most clutch but maybe bobby because he has tremendous energy and can be very vocal. but since bobby is out right now... i'm leaning more towards mike...

Kingsgurl said:
Oddly enough, during one of the games after the Mobley trade that Chris didn't play in (but Peja did) it was CAT who went to the center circle to meet with the refs (usually the team Captains job)
I think Cat would love to be captain, and he has the personality for it. But he doesn't have the tenure, and we really don't know how long he will be here (although I hope he stays). I think it has to be Bibby, and I think Bibby is ready to step up. I really don't think Peja would be comfortable in the role, so let's not put him there.

i think bibby should be captain because he will motivate us in the playoffs, mobley hasnt been here long enough and peja isnt good for the role.

chelle said:
My opinion; Mike Bibby is now the captain of this team. I do not see Mike relinqishing control of this team to Peja. I think Mike has the respect of his teammates while the amount of respect that Peja has is questionable. I say this because of his remarks in the off season about his wanting a trade. (See BoJax's comments regarding Pejas request). When you consider Mike's high level of play and the fact that he is the "go to" guy, I don't see anyone else taking over the reigns, especially Peja.

bibby

bibby will most deffinetly be the captain, but since there are usually two captains, my guess is bibby and peja, even if peja isnt increadibly vocal. First of all, he is the longest tenured player, second he is our leading scoring, when he is playing, and third, bobby is injured/not a starter and cuttino hasnt been here nearly long enough to take that kind of role

I say Bibby for captain! Or at least co-captain with another player (not ready to wrap my brain around which other player) since we need somebody for D too.

I don't think it's naturally within the basketball personality of any of our remaining starters to be captain, with the exception of Mobley, but his tenure is too short and his temper too hot. Hey, how 'bout Corliss for captain? :D He has the longest (split) tenure of anyone on the team besides Peja. Oh, never mind, he's a bit hot-tempered too and will have trouble staying on the floor with foul trouble.

Seriously, I do think Mike should be at least co-captain since he's (normally) ice cold and under control on the floor and able to stay on the floor because he rarely fouls out. A few howls and his "fainting spell" in D.C. aside. :D

I just don't think the Cat would be a great team captain since he would have so much interaction with the refs, his willingness to pay fines for his outspokeness at this point is a negative for being a captain (what ref will listen to him as team captain?), his short tenure with the team, and his hot-headed near close and personal encounter with a fan in D.C. :mad:

I think Peja captained or co-captained PAOK in Greece, but I could be wrong. I'll defer my opinion on Peja's fitness for that job to our Serbian friends who have followed Peja much longer than most/all Kings fans. If they say it doesn't suit him, I'll defer to their opinion because I just don't know. Last season (before Chris returned) he looked like a leader to me but this year? Not so much. Although, with his mostly non-confrontational demeanor and lack of a bad track record with the refs, he might be the most heard team leader during game time. But I still don't see it.

Bibby for co-captain (at least!).

Last edited: