Team captain

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, you all do realize it's the teams' decision, right?

TEAM, as in the guys who actually wear the uniforms ON THE COURT. They're the ones who pick their team captain or captains...

Bibby, no question. He initiates the offense and should be the lat one to take the shot. Not sure is he should be defensive captain though, perhaps Ostertag fits that bill. ;)

My question is what's the over/under on the appearance of the first AV article questioning Bibby's obvious stranglehold on this team?

For me it's got to be Bibby in charge now. I respect Peja as a player but I don't see him as a leader type. I don't think he will be strong or tough enough to rally the team.

Kingsgurl said:
Oddly enough, during one of the games after the Mobley trade that Chris didn't play in (but Peja did) it was CAT who went to the center circle to meet with the refs (usually the team Captains job)
does chris always do that? cause i can remember mike sometimes does it. specifically, the china game. that's the only specific game i can remember because it's unique. but i have seen him do that throughout the regular season.

i hope chris told mike to be the co-captain, and taught him how to act like one. i don't know. that's just my hunch because vlade's gona, DC's gone, and bobby's injured. so cwebb's gotta be the captain, and mike his co-captain.

one more thing. on the kings website, when you look at the roster, it indicates that we don't have a captain. why is that? the name of the captain has to have a "C" after it, but no one had one. i check this out occasionally cause i want to know who the co-captain is on the team, but no luck.

LMM said:
i hope chris told mike to be the co-captain, and taught him how to act like one. i don't know. that's just my hunch because vlade's gona, DC's gone, and bobby's injured. so cwebb's gotta be the captain, and mike his co-captain.

don't think Cwebb is going to be captain anymore;) :( I agree with Bibby, did you mean someone else as co-captain?

ovrush said:
I originally voted for Bibby, but now that I've taken more time to think about it, Tag is the obvious choice.

But only if he goes to the center circle before games in his sexy spandex shorts. :D

VF21 said:
Okay, you all do realize it's the teams' decision, right?

TEAM, as in the guys who actually wear the uniforms ON THE COURT. They're the ones who pick their team captain or captains...
I thought the fans on Kingsfans.com decided...:(

so, what is the role of a team captain other than breaking a tie on what restaurant the team bus will stop at? About right up there with the importance of the President of the Senate.

btw: isn't Cuttino the only player on the Kings who has been a team captain before. I always thought that was because his mom is such an excellent cook and the WHOLE team (except Hakeem) used to go to her house for pre-game meals. true story

not meanig cat should be the captain or anything...

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Bibby_10 said:
Doubt it would be Bobby since he's not even a starter.
Since when is that important? Alan Henderson was Atlanta's captain for years, until he got traded, and he didn't start. Ryan Bowen was co-captain in Denver, and he barely even played.

S

sashaXJR

It is really gross how fans forget a player like that...The guy was drafted by Sacramento, plays here for "how many years"...he is the only remaining of the "fabulous five".....he is a (3) time All Star....he made those All Star Saturdays worth watching once again....He made us (at least me) lift those (3) fingers and look for Vlade as he would get of the bech and hug "him".......He made me watch every single Kings game, He made Vlade a better player, Vlade made him a better player.....Doug was always looking for him, rather than shoot himself....He stopped Dirk, Kings made the second round....How many points did he score against Minnesota in game (3), remember that miracle.....He asked for a trade, he was right..It's about time to go...this is not it, not the Kings the whole nation loved watching...not the Kings from the SI cover page, nope, not the Kings anymore.....nor the fans....the famous cow bells that made TV ratings blow up, and no one wanted to watch the finals anymore, the Kings were out.....no one wanted to watch Lakers:New Jersey, no one......

I love Bibby, I love Brad (Cat is not on my list), but while Peja is still a King, he deserves to be the captain of the team.....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sashaXJR said:
It is really gross how fans forget a player like that...The guy was drafted by Sacramento, plays here for "how many years"...he is the only remaining of the "fabulous five".....he is a (3) time All Star....he made those All Star Saturdays worth watching once again....He made us (at least me) lift those (3) fingers and look for Vlade as he would get of the bech and hug "him".......He made me watch every single Kings game, He made Vlade a better player, Vlade made him a better player.....Doug was always looking for him, rather than shoot himself....He stopped Dirk, Kings made the second round....How many points did he score against Minnesota in game (3), remember that miracle.....He asked for a trade, he was right..It's about time to go...this is not it, not the Kings the whole nation loved watching...not the Kings from the SI cover page, nope, not the Kings anymore.....nor the fans....the famous cow bells that made TV ratings blow up, and no one wanted to watch the finals anymore, the Kings were out.....no one wanted to watch Lakers:New Jersey, no one......

I love Bibby, I love Brad (Cat is not on my list), but while Peja is still a King, he deserves to be the captain of the team.....
Hello?

Peja is the only member of this team to also demand a trade.

Peja is a valued member of the team and has many contributions to make. He is NOT going to be the team captain. You can take that to the bank.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sashaXJR said:
Peja is nobody's leader Sasha, no matter how much you like him. A captain isn't a seniority thing, its a leadership thing, and there might not be one player on the whole team less suited for that particular role than Peja.

S

sashaXJR

so who is the leader, why do they need a leader....kings were always a team, w/o a superstar and everything was going well, till one guy pronounced himself a leader, and everything went downhill from there......it is easy to do the talk, but never walk......Is KG a leader...how about Barkley...those guys never won a championship, but they can talk, and they talk.....what about Argentinian team in Athens this past summer...who was their leader...do we even recognise one of those players (besides Ginobilli)...I agree Peja is not the loudest nor the toughest guy, but you can not place Bibby (how many all stars, any other achivements?) on top of Pedja...Pedja was the leader of the serbian national team, that beat the "dream team" and won the world championships......He's got a champioship back in Greece, what do all the other guys on the Kings team have.....I am one of the bigest Peja critics, it makes me mad that he doesn't get tougher, that he doesn't throw a punch at someone, but you "Kings fans" don't pay him any respect......the guy is still young, maybe he will get 8-9 rebounds next season, maybe....He is the best one on one defender on the team (proven in Playoffs)...At this time of the year, last year, everyone was trashing Webber, now they're crying that he's gone....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sashaXJR said:
so who is the leader, why do they need a leader....kings were always a team, w/o a superstar and everything was going well, till one guy pronounced himself a leader, and everything went downhill from there......it is easy to do the talk, but never walk......Is KG a leader...how about Barkley...those guys never won a championship, but they can talk, and they talk.....what about Argentinian team in Athens this past summer...who was their leader...do we even recognise one of those players (besides Ginobilli)...I agree Peja is not the loudest nor the toughest guy, but you can not place Bibby (how many all stars, any other achivements?) on top of Pedja...Pedja was the leader of the serbian national team, that beat the "dream team" and won the world championships......He's got a champioship back in Greece, what do all the other guys on the Kings team have.....I am one of the bigest Peja critics, it makes me mad that he doesn't get tougher, that he doesn't throw a punch at someone, but you "Kings fans" don't pay him any respect......the guy is still young, maybe he will get 8-9 rebounds next season, maybe....He is the best one on one defender on the team (proven in Playoffs)...At this time of the year, last year, everyone was trashing Webber, now they're crying that he's gone....
A lot of great leaders have never won a title.

However almost no team that I can think of has wona title without a great leader. The Duncan/Robinson duo might be the worst in 20+ years, and it was pretty good.

I'm getting tired of the "we were a team of equals" B.S. a) not really, we had leaders; and b) to the degree we were, its a losing formula. Every successful organization has a leader, a apeckin order, organization. A team of equals is a losing formula. Somebody has to be the guy that everybody looks to. There always is on any team and in any organization. Its basic human nature.

Bricklayer said:
A lot of great leaders have never won a title.

However almost no team that I can think of has wona title without a great leader. The Duncan/Robinson duo might be the worst in 20+ years, and it was pretty good.

I'm getting tired of the "we were a team of equals" B.S. a) not really, we had leaders; and b) to the degree we were, its a losing formula. Every successful organization has a leader, a apeckin order, organization. A team of equals is a losing formula. Somebody has to be the guy that everybody looks to. There always is on any team and in any organization. Its basic human nature.
Yeah, and they always bring up the Patriots as the ultimate example of a team without stars, except they have one of the brightest stars in the NFL in Tom Brady. Once Brady starts looking for the superstar money he's worth, their little "no-star team" formula goes in the toilet.

S

sashaXJR

I just can't respect a guy as a leader if he had never won anything...what's the point of good "leadership" in that case.....There really are no stars at the last year Detroit's team.....Ben Wallace is just a monster defender, and a really tough guy, but a great offensive flop...Chaunce is far from a superstar, so is Hamilton....who is the star on that team....?....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sashaXJR said:
OMG. "YOU 'KINGS FANS'"??? You might want to check the name of the site. We ARE Kings fans.

Your comments are just beyond belief. Webber didn't appoint himself leader. He and Vlade were co-captains of the team, selected by the team. When Vlade left, Webber was selected by the team.

NOT everyone was trashing Webber. Most of us may have had problems with some things, but we still respected him as a member of our team. In fact, most of the real bashing came from jealous Pedja homers.

There's a big difference between coming to this board as a Peja fan and fitting in with the rest of the Kings fans AND coming here solely as a blind Peja homer and refusing to acknowledge any truths about your hero.

You fall into the second category.

Last edited:
A guy dont have to win anything to be the leader. He's the leader as long as the rest of his team respect and follow his lead. Ben Wallace was a tough guy, he lead by example in term of aggresiveness and approach to the game.

PixelPusher said:
Yeah, and they always bring up the Patriots as the ultimate example of a team without stars, except they have one of the brightest stars in the NFL in Tom Brady. Once Brady starts looking for the superstar money he's worth, their little "no-star team" formula goes in the toilet.
Erm..., you mean The Patriots? The team that either trades or cuts any player that even approaches stardom? Football is different in as much that every football team needs at least one guy to be in control/leader - quarterback. What is so amazing about Brady is thet he is so unassuming and levelheaded in his position. No bravado, no tantrums and probably pound-for-pound the least amount of ego in a "superstar" that I've ever seen in my life.

I don't necessarlly dissagree with you, I just think that Pats are bad example of leadership by a single individual. They even boycott individual announcements, for goodness' sake...

bozzwell said:
Erm..., you mean The Patriots? The team that either trades or cuts any player that even approaches stardom? Football is different in as much that every football team needs at least one guy to be in control/leader - quarterback. What is so amazing about Brady is thet he is so unassuming and levelheaded in his position. No bravado, no tantrums and probably pound-for-pound the least amount of ego in a "superstar" that I've ever seen in my life.

I don't necessarlly dissagree with you, I just think that Pats are bad example of leadership by a single individual. They even boycott individual announcements, for goodness' sake...
Yes, Brady has a remarkable humility about him off of the field, but on the field he takes command of the team and his STAR talent is undeniable. You don't get voted to the pro bowl for being "just another team guy".

S

sashaXJR

As far as I remember Webber in an interview made him self a leader of the team....Trashed Vlade and Pedja (smoking and not tough)....Misunderstanding...I am also a Kings fan (with Peja as my favorite player, you're right)..I loved Jason W, I loved Doug, Hedo, Pollard, I loved Vlade......It just makes me mad how cruel fans can be...how easily they forget contributions made by a player.....The truth about my "hero": the guy can play basketball