TDOS Tropical Island IPOD Cover Draft - Round 20

Entity

Hall of Famer
I will always love you --- Whitney Houston. cover of Dolly Parton

And Whitney. This is the perfect studio version.

NOTE: YouTube clips provided by Chubbs. - VF21

Last edited by a moderator:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me that song was the 5 star blue chip recruit that I pulled from my draft board just for reasons of fit. Just not a song I listen to but Whitney flat out owned it. Incredible performance. Masterful vocal and really solid production.

Based on that song and a couple more from Whitney that soundtrack sold 45 million copies. And that's despite the obvious handicap of having a song from Kenny G on it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ah yes, was wondering what to do with that one, among others. It has an argument for most famous cover song of all time, and I do think its a beautiful song. But I'm scratching my head a little bit what to do with all time covers that fall just outside my normal listening range as opposed to lesser covers that are more in the core.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Ah yes, was wondering what to do with that one, among others. It has an argument for most famous cover song of all time, and I do think its a beautiful song. But I'm scrating my head a little bit what to do with all time covers that fall just outside my normal listening range as opposed to lesser covers that are more in the core.
Well my first would not be this but if picking all time greatest covers this is top 5. Not even my personal top 50 lol

My guideline here is the same as it always has been in the previous movie and music drafts: I only pick from my personal collection, based on the idea that something I have not deemed important enough to add to my huge real world collection would never make the cut on my much smaller deserted island collection.

I'm going to start with Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin, which was written and originally performed by Kris Kristofferson. As with Hendrix' Watchtower, this is the definitive version of this song, and it's my favorite Janis Joplin song. She exercises more restraint than on many of her other songs, which I think helps show what a great singer she was.

Bricklayer

I'm going to start with Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin, which was written and originally performed by Kris Kristofferson. As with Hendrix' Watchtower, this is the definitive version of this song, and it's my favorite Janis Joplin song. She exercises more restraint than on many of her other songs, which I think helps show what a great singer she was.

phooey

not all of us have lists 220 songs long you know. stay off mine. :p

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Sorry, I have suddenly become very busy. Will I be able to make up my pick now? Or do I have to wait until it is my pick again

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Well then..

I was always fascinated by the rich sound of classical music, how different covers of things sounded when played with string instruments, especially cellos. I love playing music on my cello, but I also have a thing for metal.

Apocalyptica - One

Here is the live version below

The studio verison

Album - Inquisition Symphony
Released September 22, 1998
Recorded 1998
Genre Classical, chamber music
Length 46:41
Label Mercury/Universal
Producer Otto Donner; Hiili Hiilesmaa

Original - Metallica - One

Album - And Justice for All
Released August 25, 1988
Recorded January 28 – May 1, 1988 at One on One Recording Studios in Los Angeles
Genre Thrash metal
Length 65:29
Label Elektra
Producer Metallica, Flemming Rasmussen

Time to inject some young(ish?) music into this ancient draft! ...do you guys really want to listen to Janis Joplin for the rest of your years on and island? :p

This draft is tough, I have already lost 6 of my picks during the first round.. :mad:

Oh well, time to rearrange my list... My first pick for this draft is:

Hard to Handle - The Black Crowes

This cover brings me back to my growing up years. Really love this version of the song and the feelgood vibe to it.

Album: Shake Your Monemaker
Released: 1990
Original Artist: Otis Redding
Original Released Date: 1968

Blondie - Hanging On The Telephone [1978]

Original version: The Nerves [1976]

The Nerves were as great as obscure and short-lived. They managed to put out only an EP before dissolving due to lack of success and lack of willingness to try. It was a tremendous EP though, a top-notch power-pop record. Two years later Blondie took what was arguably the best tune from it and proceeded to dominate the charts. A testament to The Nerves' fleeting yet great talent.

Blondie - Hanging On The Telephone [1978]

Original version: The Nerves [1976]

The Nerves were as great as obscure and short-lived. They managed to put out only an EP before dissolving due to lack of success and lack of willingness to try. It was a tremendous EP though, a top-notch power-pop record. Two years later Blondie took what was arguably the best tune from it and proceeded to dominate the charts. A testament to The Nerves' fleeting yet great talent.
oh, you punk!!!

:mad:;)

that was TOTALLY my first rounder!!! i was only two picks away!! such a great cover, and one of my favorite early new wave records...

Bricklayer

This draft is tough, I have already lost 6 of my picks during the first round.. :mad:

Oh well, time to rearrange my list... My first pick for this draft is:

Hard to Handle - The Black Crowes

This cover brings me back to my growing up years. Really love this version of the song and the feelgood vibe to it.

Album: Shake Your Monemaker
Released: 1990
Original Artist: Otis Redding
Original Released Date: 1968
had no idea that was a cover

Ok I'll try this from my phone.

With my first overall selection I choose:

Alient Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal

Original Song:

Artist: Michael Jackson
Album: Bad
Year: 1987

OK, so now my elaboration. I don't remember exactly where I was when I heard this cover, I just know that I immediately loved it. It sped up the icon Michael Jackson song and gave it some stank and also toned part of it down at the same time. Bad was Michaels first foray (IMO) into Rock n Roll. I really did not like the album because I did not think it fit the poppy R&B singer we had grown to love.

In the Alien Ant Farm video they even give tribute to the lean part of the dance that when it came out had people baffled how it was physically possible to do without falling over.

I know many are going for songs that are popular, they may or may not like them. Personally, I'm on an Island, for some odd reason I can only choose from cover songs. I'm picking ones I want to listen to.

Last edited:
all right, well... hm. what to do with my first rounder? i honestly thought Blondie's cover of "Hanging on the Telephone" would still be on the board. i recall being a big fan of William Blake's picks during last year's TDOS music draft, so i suppose i shouldn't be surprised that he would scoop up such a great track...

that said, Blondie were one of the very few "classic" artists that i had in my pre-draft list, which is why i was intent on snagging "Hanging on a Telephone" so early. now that it's gone, i'll go with a rather obvious pick (obvious for me, that is):

Deftones - "No Ordinary Love" (Sade cover) [2005]:

this is a wonderfully hypnotic cover of a wonderfully hypnotic song, and for an alternative metal band that's rather well-known for their unusual choice in covers, it seemed an apt place to begin as i attempt to craft a desert island playlist that suits my very particular tastes. in true Deftones fashion, Abe Cunningham's slight but steady reconfiguring of "No Ordinary Love"s groove is rightfully front and center, as is Chino Moreno's phone-sex-at-the-end-of-the-world style of crooning. smartly, the band also leans on their gift for doom-y atmosphere, as stephen carpenter's seven-string acts like the world's quietest buzzsaw and Frank Delgado's keyboards craft a damp and windy backdrop...

Sade - "No Ordinary Love" (1992):