TDDS - 2020 Shelter-in-Place on a Desert Island Music Draft - BONUS 5

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Clifford Brown and Max Roach - Study in Brown (1955)

(https://www.allmusic.com/album/study-in-brown-mw0000187908)

01. Cherokee
02. Jacqui
03. Swingin'
04. Lands End
05. George's Dilemma
06. Sandu
07. Gerkin For Perkin
08. If I Love Again
09. Take the 'A' Train
Before I moved to Burbank I spent several years in Culver City where I discovered a fantastic little venue called the Jazz Bakery. I could still get the student discount back then so tickets were less than $20 and if you paid for the first set and the second set didn't sell out (which it rarely did) you could stay and watch that one for free! It might have been the best deal in the city for live music, which is probably why they eventually couldn't pay the rent and were forced to close up shop. It was a lot of fun while it lasted though. I saw some real legends come through there! liked to sit right up in front and watch the drummers. Then I would peruse the Jazz section at Amoeba Records and see if anything caught me eye.

Clifford Brown was a fantastic trumpet player who peaked early in the Hard Bop era of the mid 50s before dying tragically in a car accident at the age of 25. Max Roach is one of the most influential drummers of all time. He was a pioneer of keeping time on the ride cymbal and his delicate mastery of the cymbals is on full display all over this album. If you're looking for an inlet to getting interested in Jazz, this is the first album I would pull off the shelf and play for you. The tunes are all upbeat and have catchy lead melodies and the solos are some of the best ever recorded.

It's hard for me to describe the joy of listening to improvisational music to other people. The excitement comes from the band's ability to build anticipation and then pay it off in unexpected ways. The songs are outlines for the musicians to bend and impart with their own signature style. When a band is as good as this one, you can hear them all feeding off each other's ideas and communicating back and forth with little call and response parts, rhythms that drop off and pick back up again, tempo changes, and solos that reference familiar melodies and then take them in new directions. It's music from a time when people would sit and listen with their full attention and look: they even printed the names of the musicians right there on the cover!

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Ordinarily extraordinary. Extraordinarily ordinary. Simply complicated. Complicatedly simple. I can't think of anything else that sounds like this record, which is amazing considering how few tools were used to make it. Everything about this record will put a smile on the listener's face. It flutters between being lighthearted, calming, humorous, cute, reminiscent, spontaneous, and it's just pleasant.

Tracklist

01 - Droumier Assai Per S'Amourousis D'Un Moustre - Prelude aux Memoires D'Un Chien
02 - Droumier Assai Per S'Amourousis D'Un Moustre - Premiere Tentative
03 - Trop de Douceur ou les Trois Soeurs: 2e Soeur
04 - L'Armoire
05 - Le Grand Compositeur Vu de Dos - Boston Mexicain No.1
06 - Le Grand Compositeur Vu de Dos - Boston Mexicain No.2
07 - Le Grand Compositeur Vu de Dos - Boston Mexicain No.3
08 - La Pointe de Tes Seins est Comme un Petale de Pavot - 1e Movement
09 - La Pointe de Tes Seins est Comme un Petale de Pavot - 2e Movement
10 - La Pointe de Tes Seins est Comme un Petale de Pavot - 3e Movement
11 - Solo un Dia
12 - La Vieio Mostro: Part II
13 - Espelisoun D'Uno Ribambello D'Evenimen Espetaclous Valentin Bilot
14 - Armistice Couronne de Feullages
15 - Le Grand Compositeur Vu de Face
16 - Seynete
17 - Editioun Especialo D'Uno Grino de Jardin
18 - Annie la Telie
19 - Naive Description de la Formation
20 - Avril en Suede

This is new to me but I really like the track you've posted here! Thanks for the introduction!

New York Dolls - New York Dolls

Take a little Bowie with a splash of Faces and Stones and here you are.

I'm not entirely sure why I didn't pick this up in 2008. It certainly laid the foundation for a really large chunk of my musical taste from the NY CB's scene in the latter half of the 70s to the sleazy but not quite glam rock that G'n'R and the other Cathouse bands pioneered in the 80s. And Johnny Thunders at his best is one of my biggest influences. At his worst he was a total friggin mess but that's another story. David Johansen would enjoy later minor commercial success as Buster Poindexter but this was his finest hour.

Before I took on my present role I was at the nursing school here and Pills was my favorite little ode to nurses. It's actually a Bo Diddly tune and kind of a guilty pleasure because I am not sure that's the image those wonderful nurses want to present, but it's got a ripping harmonica/guitar intro and a huge chorus. Aside from that the big tracks for me are Looking for a Kiss (has that great "When I say I'm in Love, you best believe I'm in love L-U-V"), Trash (with it's call back to Love is Strange), and the opener Personality Crisis. Which a certain LA glam band borrowed extremely heavily from for their big breakthrough hit. It's got that nice bit of piano to go along with Thunders and Sylvain's guitar that I think just adds so much to a rock n roll tune and you just don't get much anymore.

Side One
1. Personality Crisis
2. Looking for a Kiss
3. Vietnamese Baby
4. Lonely Planet Boy
5. Frankenstein

Side Two
6. Trash
7. Bad Girl
8. Subway Train
9. Pills
10. Private World
11. Jet Boy

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 7.46.47 AM.png

the downward spiral: nine inch nails

1. "Mr. Self Destruct"
2. "Piggy"
3. "Heresy"
4. "March of the Pigs"
5. "Closer"
6. "Ruiner"
7. "The Becoming"
8. "I Do Not Want This"
9. "Big Man with a Gun"
10. "A Warm Place"
11. "Eraser"
12. "Reptile"
13. "The Downward Spiral"
14. "Hurt"

I'm not sure how much longer this one will last, so I'm taking it now. Happily, I would take most of Trent Reznor's catalog, but decided this time around to go with the downward spiral. People mention album bookends in their draft choices, and it's arguably one of the stronger starting/ending tunes of any album. The reason I went with this album is because of the rising tide I felt when listening to albums that can't be mentioned right now, and then it all came together here. 1994 me really connected with the whole album, more so than with other releases during this time. I even bought several remix albums (I can mention that here, right?) Weirdly, listening to the whole album, fraught with despair and misery, tends to bring me back up when I'm feeling low.

For you kids that have only heard the Johnny Cash version, I'm including a link to the original. It's not as soulful, but every bit as bleak. If not more.

Fair enough but still confused since half your picks are more or less 90s picks and you reference a number of them as college staples.
AND you aren't even the guy that picked the Weird Al album I can't even place a track on!
Every album pick from prior to circa 2011 has been discovered retroactively. I mentioned August and Everything After as a classic early 90s college soundtrack, but that certainly was not a part of nor does it reflect my experience.

My first college roommate was a poser punk who raged against the mundane with a collection of radio-friendly pop-punk albums and dyed green hair.

My second roommate was a metal rock SoCal surfer and genuinely good guy. Our flatmate exclusively rocked Metallica.

My third roommate played both Nick Cave and his own personal set of bagpipes in our room, at all hours, vigorously.

I chose to avoid roommates after that until I moved in with my now wife.

Throughout that time until just prior to our previous draft on this site, if it wasn’t on the radio or in a movie soundtrack, I’d never heard it. There were single songs I liked and radio stations I preferred, but never an album or band as a whole.

Largely from reading through the first album draft on this site, I learned albums are meant to be a cohesive experience, rather than a list of hit singles. That epiphany rocked my paradigm and, after decades of pretending to be above musical preferences, I opened myself to explore. OK Computer became the first album that caused the little bell to ring in my head of “oh, now I get it.”

But that didn’t arise from the aether. OK Computer was inspired by one of my favorite songs in the 90s, Talk Show Host from the Romeo + Juliet soundtrack. And a lot of the albums that came to really, pardon the pun, strike a cord were building off those pre-established pathways in my brain that had built up while I considered music little more than ambient noise.

So, while 2011 is when I finally paid attention, the roots of my musical tastes began in that magical year of 1991.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Back to 1991 for this one:

Digital Underground - Sons of the P (1991)

Man, I wore this tape out in high school. DU's second full-length studio album never approached the commercial success that they achieved with their first album, but I tend to think it's a stronger album, overall. DU pretty much changed their entire musical style after this album was released, I believe because the laws regarding samples were changed, not long afterward. Sons of the P peaked at #44 on the US charts, and was certified gold.

Track listing (links provided to songs released as singles):

1. "The DFLO Shuttle"
  2. "Heartbeat Props"
  3. "No Nose Job"
  4. "Sons Of The P" (features George Clinton)
  5. "Flowin' On The D-Line"
  6. "Kiss You Back"
  7. "Tales Of The Funky"
  8. "The Higher Heights Of Spirituality"
  9. "Family Of The Underground" (features Stretch)
  10. "The D-Flowstrumental" (CD Only Track)
  11. "Good Thing We're Rappin'"

Source: Wikipedia

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Sorry for the delay, all. Sunday is when I do my grocery shopping for the week, and it slightly more difficult today than usual: my go-to grocery store was closed, apparently due to the pandemic, and things went downhill, from there.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
For my 12th selection in the Shelter-In-Place Album Draft, i select:

Kick - INXS (1987)

Track Listing:
1 Guns in the Sky
2 New Sensation
3 Devil Inside
4 Need You Tonight
5 Mediate
6 The Loved One
7 Wild Life
8 Never Tear Us Apart
9 Mystify
10 Kick
11 Calling All Nations
12 Tiny Daggers

Getting over halfway through this draft, I realize that all of my picks are either music I got into in college or later, or older stuff from before my time. I haven't selected any contemporary music that I was listening to in high school. Some of that is because it has been snagged already (e.g. Def Leppard's Hysteria), some of that may be because looking back most of that stuff just didn't turn out to be good enough to hold up all these years later. Well, INXS's breakthrough album Kick is an exception to that. With five hit singles on the album, it's hard to believe, but originally the record label rejected the album as being too much of a departure from the straighter rock sound from their previous record (seriously??) and only changed their mind after the band's manager snuck some singles off to college radio, where they caught on. It eventually went 6X platinum, so I trust that whoever tried to reject Kick got summarily ousted from their job as "decider of what music people will buy".

Of course, probably the biggest hit off of the album, "Need You Tonight", was also a big MTV hit, and I can remember hoping that the parents wouldn't catch this one on TV or at least not pay too much attention as Hutchence was sporting a scandalous lapel pin that said "SEX" on it. And hey, as long as I've already linked one video that rips off a Bob Dylan video, why not include here the video that includes the connected track "Mediate" as a second rip-off? This latter video proves one thing, and that is that INXS can't spell.

(PM Sent)

^does not have my favorite INXS track but this album may be one that grew on me more than any other over time. I think it was that Rockstar: INXS show where I realized that despite being too cool to like them in middle school, I really loved a LOT of INXS tunes.

Sorry for the delay, all. Sunday is when I do my grocery shopping for the week, and it slightly more difficult today than usual: my go-to grocery store was closed, apparently due to the pandemic, and things went downhill, from there.
Your delay of four whole hours? Or are you counting time from @hrdboild's pick?

Also I am sure it being Easter Sunday amidst the pandemic just ramps everything up.

Not to keep anyone in suspense with my 12th selection I go back to the mtv era.

I remember watching the sopranos and Steve van Zandt. Of course everyone knows he was with Bruce Springsteen.
Then watching some of the videos before I posted my next selection remembered a young actress brought up on the stage to dance with Springsteen in dancing in the dark. I know you will recognize her when you watch it.

This will be his second selection in this draft and for me his best album .

Bruce Springsteen’s (BORN IN THE USA)

1586726222592.jpg

Born in the USA

Cover me

Darlington County

Working on the highway

Downbound train

I’am on Fire

No surrender

Bobby Jean

I’am going down

Glory days

Dancing in the dark

My hometown

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Not to keep anyone in suspense with my 12th selection I go back to the mtv era.

I remember watching the sopranos and Steve van Zandt. Of course everyone knows he was with Bruce Springsteen.
Then watching some of the videos before I posted my next selection remembered a young actress brought up on the stage to dance with Springsteen in dancing in the dark. I know you will recognize her when you watch it.

This will be his second selection in this draft and for me his best album .

Bruce Springsteen’s (BORN IN THE USA)

View attachment 9748

Born in the USA

Cover me

Darlington County

Working on the highway

Downbound train

I’am on Fire

No surrender

Bobby Jean

I’am going down

Glory days

Dancing in the dark

My hometown

This album is where Bruce loses me. The songs are still good but I hate this drum sound so much that it completely kills the vibe for me. Even now playing these songs it's almost unlistenable, that's how much a hate it. I'm not really sure why. Whatever my internal rhythm is, it can't get in line with this. My dad had this album growing up and I always thought I didn't like Bruce Springsteen because I hadn't heard any of the albums he made in the 70s yet. Turns out he's one of my favorite artists ever! My dad also had another album from the same time period (by a band who I can't name because they haven't been drafted yet but they come from Miami) and I was all about that! Go figure. I don't begrudge anyone else for liking Born in the USA though, Bruce is awesome! And I still like most of these songs in their live versions.

This album is where Bruce loses me. The songs are still good but I hate this drum sound so much that it completely kills the vibe for me. Even now playing these songs it's almost unlistenable, that's how much a hate it. I'm not really sure why. Whatever my internal rhythm is, it can't get in line with this. My dad had this album growing up and I always thought I didn't like Bruce Springsteen because I hadn't heard any of the albums he made in the 70s yet. Turns out he's one of my favorite artists ever! My dad also had another album from the same time period (by a band who I can't name because they haven't been drafted yet but they come from Miami) and I was all about that! Go figure. I don't begrudge anyone else for liking Born in the USA though, Bruce is awesome! And I still like most of these songs in their live versions.
I wouldn't really label myself a big fan and I think this is why, because it was the biggest thing in the world at this moment in time. I like him as a writer and I like his band. But I remember watching Friday Night Videos when I didn't have cable and they did an "encore" of Dancing in the Dark and I was livid that frickin video took up two of my music spots in my precious 90 minutes of this awesome medium I loved so much. They never encored the songs I liked...

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Faces - A Nod's As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse

I'd probably be lying if I said I wasn't taking this because of Stay With Me. Because I am. That said I'm also picking to have Ronnie Wood before he joined the Stones and Rod Stewart before he went disco. I think it was years before I discovered exactly why my sitter growing up loved Rod so much. I hope this is why.

Basically this is blues rock at it's peak, tons of piano/organ/keyboard bits that I absolutely love in my rock n roll, and the precursor to pub and punk rock and I suppose it will be clear in short order why I'm grabbing this as essential shelter listening.

Side One
1. Miss Judy's Farm
2. You're So Rude
3. Love Lives Here
4. Last Orders Please
5. Stay with Me

Side Two
6. Debris
7. Memphis
8. Too Bad
9. That's All You Need

Just got around to listening to this, and wow what a band! Great lead singer, great guitar player, solid rhythm section (I love that melodic bass line in the bridge) and it's got that cool rock organ thing going on top of that. Great stuff all around. I'm embarrassed now that I haven't heard of them before (though I know Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart of course).

I wouldn't really label myself a big fan and I think this is why, because it was the biggest thing in the world at this moment in time. I like him as a writer and I like his band. But I remember watching Friday Night Videos when I didn't have cable and they did an "encore" of Dancing in the Dark and I was livid that frickin video took up two of my music spots in my precious 90 minutes of this awesome medium I loved so much. They never encored the songs I liked...

I don’t like the way he sings born in the USA most of the times as it seems he’s screaming at me and it makes it unlistenable. But I like what the song is about.
Yes it was his top selling album of his career and like a lot of bands in that era mtv videos pumped those sales threw the roof. I did not have this album because a lot of my friends did plus between mtv and the radio I didn’t need the album.

Like a lot of singers at least the most popular ones it’s easy to find their vinyl these days. Yes I play it once or twice a year. I actually play mostly stuff from the sixties and early 70’s but had some great times about when this album came out and I listed the 3 I like plus darlington county was also decent.
I do have a nice collection of punk I listen to but some of it I would not list because of content.

I don’t like the way he sings born in the USA most of the times as it seems he’s screaming at me and it makes it unlistenable. But I like what the song is about.
Yes it was his top selling album of his career and like a lot of bands in that era mtv videos pumped those sales threw the roof. I did not have this album because a lot of my friends did plus between mtv and the radio I didn’t need the album.

Like a lot of singers at least the most popular ones it’s easy to find their vinyl these days. Yes I play it once or twice a year. I actually play mostly stuff from the sixties and early 70’s but had some great times about when this album came out and I listed the 3 I like plus darlington county was also decent.
I do have a nice collection of punk I listen to but some of it I would not list because of content.
I think Glory Days is my favorite of the singles. And yes the lyrics to Born in the USA are great. One of the weird things about Springsteen is there are a lot of songs he has written that other artists did and I may not have realized they were his and then it all made sense when I did. It seems like he can be very polarizing where as I find I like him best when he isn't shoved in my face. If that makes sense. There was also the fact that a lot of the people force feeding me this weren't diving deep into the content which has at least made it more enjoyable in retrospect :)

My punk stuff is coming. I don't think most of it is littered in profanity though 12 year old me did appreciate that stuff the most.

It's so funny to me when two different listeners have entirely different responses to particular kinds of sonic approaches. I f***ing love the drum sound on Born in the USA. Love it.

Word is that Springsteen himself wanted to hear more of "the room" in the way the drums were mic'ed. And I just adore it. I miss the analog approach to reverb that you find in 80's recordings. A ton of the new wave and shoegaze bands I admire all iterated on those approaches until they became signatures of those bands' respective sounds.

I think Glory Days is my favorite of the singles. And yes the lyrics to Born in the USA are great. One of the weird things about Springsteen is there are a lot of songs he has written that other artists did and I may not have realized they were his and then it all made sense when I did. It seems like he can be very polarizing where as I find I like him best when he isn't shoved in my face. If that makes sense. There was also the fact that a lot of the people force feeding me this weren't diving deep into the content which has at least made it more enjoyable in retrospect :)

My punk stuff is coming. I don't think most of it is littered in profanity though 12 year old me did appreciate that stuff the most.
When you listed the New York dolls I had a feeling that I could expect more punk bands from you. I had that album You listed but Sold it at a flea market for a couple of bucks. It was trashed and I didn’t want to play it. When I run across a clean copy locally I will add it to my collection again.

I have been surprised that more of it hasn’t been picked yet.

When you listed the New York dolls I had a feeling that I could expect more punk bands from you. I had that album You listed but Sold it at a flea market for a couple of bucks. It was trashed and I didn’t want to play it. When I run across a clean copy locally I will add it to my collection again.

I have been surprised that more of it hasn’t been picked yet.
I think the majority of the bigger fans when we did this 12 years ago are long gone around here. Then there was Spike to contend with too, this time I got 2/3 of what he swiped from me and there is one band I know we both really like that nobody has picked yet. I have kind of been waiting for him to make the first move there.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It's so funny to me when two different listeners have entirely different responses to particular kinds of sonic approaches. I f***ing love the drum sound on Born in the USA. Love it.

Word is that Springsteen himself wanted to hear more of "the room" in the way the drums were mic'ed. And I just adore it. I miss the analog approach to reverb that you find in 80's recordings. A ton of the new wave and shoegaze bands I admire all iterated on those approaches until they became signatures of those bands' respective sounds.
Oh yeah, it's totally a preference thing and rhythm is so internal that it's hard to even describe why you like or don't like someone else's timing. Part of what irks me is that gated reverb sound which I also associate with music produced in the 80s and I strongly dislike but a bigger part of it is just the beat itself. It's one beat all the way through the songs with no syncopation, no hi-hat, no ghost notes. And it's practically the same beat on every song. That kick/snare/kick/snare combo just bores into my ears. I need some swing, some shuffle, some clave, some mardi gras mambo, some funk in the trunk or I can't get down.

Oh yeah, it's totally a preference thing and rhythm is so internal that it's hard to even describe why you like or don't like someone else's timing. Part of what irks me is that gated reverb sound which I also associate with music produced in the 80s and I strongly dislike but a bigger part of it is just the beat itself. It's one beat all the way through the songs with no syncopation, no hi-hat, no ghost notes. And it's practically the same beat on every song. That kick/snare/kick/snare combo just bores into my ears. I need some swing, some shuffle, some clave, some mardi gras mambo, some funk in the trunk or I can't get down.
Believe me, I totally get it. I'm a drummer myself. And all of my favorite drummers, from Bernard Purdie to Stewart Copeland to Abe Cunningham, know how to swing, know how to groove. But there's something to be said for the power in beautiful simplicity, particularly when the gating on a track like "Born in the U.S.A." obliterates anything subtle that might be happening underneath, anyway. Here's Max Weinberg talking for a few minutes about what he was trying to accomplish on that song, in particular:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Lady Gaga - Born this Way (2011)

Born_This_Way_album_cover.png

https://www.allmusic.com/album/born-this-way-mw0002132518

Of all the concerts I've been to, this was one of the handful that was truly a SPECTACLE. We caught her show at the G1C in 2017 (Joanne World Tour) and the wardrobe changes, sets, and showmanship were outstanding. Our seats were lousy due to being late to grab tickets, but we enjoyed it immensely anyways.

From Wikipedia:

The music of Born This Way stems from the synthpop and dance-pop styles of her previous material while incorporating different forms of instrumentation from that on her previous releases, such as electronic rock and techno. It features a broader range of genres, such as opera, heavy metal, disco, house, and rock and roll, while its lyrical topics include sexuality, religion, freedom, feminism, and individualism. Despite divided opinions among religious and conservative commentators, the album was well received by music critics, who praised the varying musical styles and Gaga's vocals; others felt Gaga was trying too hard to please everyone through the album's self-empowerment message. Several music publications included the album in their year-end best-of lists. Born This Way received three Grammy Award nominations, including Gaga's third consecutive nomination for Album of the Year.

The album has since sold six million copies worldwide. Four of the album's singles—"Born This Way", "Judas", "The Edge of Glory", and "You and I"—charted in the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States, where "Born This Way" became the 1,000th song to reach the number one spot since the inauguration of the chart in 1958. At the time of its release, the title track was the fastest-selling single in iTunes history.
Also, this brings some club/dance music into my seclusion, which is always good to have in the rotation. The Edge of Glory, Born This Way, and You and I are the big hits here that I really like. Her music is just so fun to listen to and just gets your feet tapping.

Track List:
1. Marry the Night
2. Born This Way
3. Government Hooker
4. Judas
5. Americano
6. Hair
7. Secheisse
8. Bloody Mary
9. Bad Kids
10. Highway Unicorn (Road to Love)
11. Heavy Metal Lover
12. Electric Chapel
13. You and I
14. The Edge of Glory

A truly bizarre video opening (song starts 3 minutes in):

Last edited:
This lost a coin toss in favor of another album from the same band last draft, so I feel more complete now that I can add a double dose of Shirley Manson to my Shelter Island

1586790193057.jpg
Version 2.0 - Garbage (1998)

This is the more “commercial” of the two Garbage albums I’ve taken, with a more obvious lean toward radio-friendly singles and movie soundtrack songs (I have trouble enjoying When I Grow Up due to its inclusion on Adam Sandler’s Big Daddy, but it’s inoffensive enough), but I also think it’s slightly more upbeat and fun.

The first half of the album up through Push It is a set list of high energy anthems you could readily find on any late 90s techno dance floor, while the last half slows things down for a slick cool down to play things out.

Manson of course still supplies her equal parts power and sensuality to every track. She is worth the cost of admission alone.

Tracklist
1."Temptation Waits"
2."I Think I'm Paranoid"
3."When I Grow Up"
4."Medication"
5."Special"
6."Hammering in My Head"
7."Push It"
8."The Trick Is to Keep Breathing"
9."Dumb"
10."Sleep Together"
11."Wicked Ways"
12."You Look So Fine"

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Version 2.0 - Garbage (1998)

Tracklist
12."You Look So Fine"
On my Pearl Jam "Ten" pick I mentioned that the closer to that album, while not my favorite closer, was the song that first made me appreciate how important closing out an album is. I think "You Look So Fine" might well be my favorite album closer.

On the topic of closers: One thing I do not miss about the CD era are 20 minute gaps at the end and a "hidden" track or 500 blank tracks. What a nightmare when you were in your car (or when you ripped to MP3). Granted a lot of these were throwaways and easily skipped over, but when they were a classic non-album single, B-side or awesome cover thrown on as a real bonus, it sucked not being able to skip right to them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1586806874068.png

Pretenders - The Pretenders - 1979

This album is way outside my usual comfort zone. For some reason, however, it hit a chord with me the first time I heard "Brass in Pocket" and I went down to Tower Records (God, I cannot even begin to count the number of trips I made there over the years - often stopping next door for a pastrami sandwich while I was in the neighborhood) and found the album. New wave? Punk rock? I don't know about that. All I know for sure is that Chrissie Hynde's voice is vastly underrated. I'll tell you all a secret - it was years before I knew the real lyrics to Brass in Pocket. ;)

I hadn't listened to any Pretenders in a long time. When making my list for this draft, however, I ended up spending a lot of time on YouTube. It brought back some good memories, which has happened with every music draft I've participated in. I know it may sound corny, but music really does tell the story of our lives.

Side one
"Precious" – 3:36
"The Phone Call" – 2:29
"Up the Neck" – 4:27
"Tattooed Love Boys" – 2:59
"Space Invader" (Pete Farndon, James Honeyman-Scott) – 3:26
"The Wait" (Hynde, Farndon) – 3:35
"Stop Your Sobbing" (Ray Davies) – 2:38
Side two
"Kid" – 3:06
"Private Life" – 6:25
"Brass in Pocket" (Honeyman-Scott, Hynde) – 3:04