Tankathon in effect? Joerger says 2 vets will rest each game (split)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Like it or not, the best chance at grabbing a franchise player is through the draft for us. Better draft spot increases the odds of landing them.
Who is arguing that?

I'm saying that I choose to enjoy every win they get because, *shocker*, it's more fun that way. And whether I choose to celebrate the few wins we do get or bang my head against a wall because we didn't lose, it has exactly, precisely, and irrefutably 0.00% impact on what actually happens on the floor. So I choose to enjoy it.

The pick will be what it will be whether I enjoy a win or root for a loss. So I choose to root for a win. If you don't actually enjoy watching your team win a game, why follow them?

Who is arguing that?

I'm saying that I choose to enjoy every win they get because, *shocker*, it's more fun that way. And whether I choose to celebrate the few wins we do get or bang my head against a wall because we didn't lose, it has exactly, precisely, and irrefutably 0.00% impact on what actually happens on the floor. So I choose to enjoy it.

The pick will be what it will be whether I enjoy a win or root for a loss. So I choose to root for a win. If you don't actually enjoy watching your team win a game, why follow them?
Because watching the Kings from the glory days compete for championships every year was immensly more fun than watching the last decade of 'wins' combined. Many of us realize that they will never get to that point again until they either get lucky and draft a star at the back end of the lottery or use strategy and lose some games and up their odds by looking for that star at the top of the draft. Danny Ainge didn't build the Celtics by letting the chips fall where they may. The Sixers don't have Simmons and Embiid because they won a bunch of pointless games with Sergio Rodriguez leading the way. They got to where they are by using strategy. I don't think wanting the Kings to do the same makes anyone less of a fan.

I have to agree on most points. Kings have been stuck in the lower level of mediocrity for a decade plus.

Winning too many pointless games or drafting poorly 4ever.

Kings really need to unload most of the vets by the deadline. Keeping them around all year would be a mistake. But, it would be so typical.

Kings really should be playing all the youngsters 30 plus minutes every night.

The Kings desperately need a Top 4 pick.
If the Kings continue to win games at the hands of Temple and Randolph it will hurt he Kings future.

Warhawk

Staff member
Because watching the Kings from the glory days compete for championships every year was immensly more fun than watching the last decade of 'wins' combined. Many of us realize that they will never get to that point again until they either get lucky and draft a star at the back end of the lottery or use strategy and lose some games and up their odds by looking for that star at the top of the draft. Danny Ainge didn't build the Celtics by letting the chips fall where they may. The Sixers don't have Simmons and Embiid because they won a bunch of pointless games with Sergio Rodriguez leading the way. They got to where they are by using strategy. I don't think wanting the Kings to do the same makes anyone less of a fan.
Sure, but again, what does you rooting for a win while watching a game have ****-all to do with whether they actually win or not?

Sure, but again, what does you rooting for a win while watching a game have ****-all to do with whether they actually win or not?
Well yeah of course we have zero to do with that. It's just difficult to be happy about wins when you know they most likely just lead to more of the same crap we've experienced the last decade.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well yeah of course we have zero to do with that. It's just difficult to be happy about wins when you know they most likely just lead to more of the same crap we've experienced the last decade.
I know exactly what Warhawk is talking about. If I sit down to watch a game, either in person or on TV, I do so for enjoyment in the moment. I want a couple of hours of distraction from the everyday world. And I don't think I'm alone in that regard. It's not that different from watching a movie or playing a video game.

It's all about your philosophy of life. Take your happiness when you can because you never know when it will all be over.

I don't quite understand this. I understand the math. It is what it is. I want the highest draft pick but I'm still going to enjoy the moment. I watch for enjoyment.

I'll liken it to a hot late night date with a early morning for work. That early morning for work is going to be there irregardles of what happens on the date. I'm going to enjoy the date and then report to work just like I have for the past couple decades. Life be damned. The Good Book doesn't promise me a tomorrow.

Last edited:
Who is arguing that?

Absolutely!

Excellent post. I just want to add to something you said in the last paragraph.

Regardless of the ethics or morals, how long do you think players will continue to be satisfied if that happens? You do NOT want to send that message. These guys have worked all their lives to win, to improve, to do their best. You start pulling them when they're doing that and they'll soon be all over their agents demanding trades. You think we have it tough now getting free agents to come here? I guarantee you NOBODY will come here if that's the image put forth.
Yep, I meant to include something along the lines of that.

First thing I would say about ethics and morals in basketball is that I don't think anyone really cares about that. For example should a player like Kevin Durant join the Golden State Warriors when they already had an all star trio, one NBA championship, plus had just broken the Chicago Bulls' regular season record and narrowly lost their finals rematch against the Cavaliers? Look at how they've managed to re-sign players like Iguodala and Livingstone, while adding the likes of Swaggy P, David West and Omri Casspi. Their existing salaries is over $137 million and the league happily allows and aids a team like this to build up a roster despite having a salary cap and them already being over it when they made some of these moves. Now ok all of this is above board but from an ethical and moral standpoint it does make a mockery of the so-called level playing field. Now they aren't the only team, the Cleveland Cavaliers are another example, because they have a similar level of salary and have managed to extend players and bring players in like Wade, Rose, and Green. So in all honesty I would not worry about ethics and morals because a number of other teams don't and the league certainly doesn't seem to care about maintaining an even playing field, in fact they seem quite happy to promote super teams in this era.

Now that doesn't mean we should compromise our ethics and morals because others do. If I was head coach I don't think I could pull a player to guarantee a loss, however I would have the veterans on minute restrictions (so this would mean Temple would never have had 40 minutes in that big game) with a ceiling around the 20 minute mark, because my intention would be to give the young players more minutes to aid their development. Admittedly you don't want to put them in a bad situation on court with the opposition bullying them, but at the same time they need to learn and develop and the best way to do that is on an NBA court competing against other teams.

The second thing to consider here is that I don't think the majority of our fan base have given up on our young players by looking at the draft. What they see is a team with 14 wins and 33 losses with no realistic chance of making the play offs. Now perhaps we can win at least 28 of our remaining 35 games to see us finish with a winning record and sneak into the play offs as the eighth seed. It would be great to see that turnaround unfold and see our young players thrive. However, that type of turnaround is unlikely and that is why I think a lot of our fans are focusing on the draft and wanting this team to finish with as high a pick as possible because this is a lost season. We can make an argument over whether going 25-10 and getting a pick outside the top ten is better for this team's future than going 10-25 and getting a top five pick. Which would I prefer to see? I really don't know. If we win that many games it means our young players have improved and are getting it done, but we potentially miss out on a franchise changing talent; however if we lose that many games we miss out on that develop, while gaining a chance at getting a franchise changing talent. It's tough to know or say which is the best route for this team to follow for the rest of this season, but by no means do I think our fan base has given up on our young players. I think most of us are still excited to see what future the likes of Fox, Bogdanovic, Willie and co have with our team, but would love to see another young piece (potentially a star) added to the mix.
Well, alrighty then, where do I begin? I read your post several times and I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around what you are trying to say. First, you say that nobody cares about ethics and morals in basketball, but, then you turn around and say that doesn’t mean we should compromise our ethics and morals because others do.

Maybe the majority of people don’t care about ethics and morals in basketball and maybe that translates over to our society in general. I know that after 63 years I am more disappointed than I have ever been in the lack of ethics and morals in our society in general almost as much as I am in the hypocrisy of the very people who should be setting the examples for society.

However, I digress, I have no intention, no way, no how, of devolving this into a political/religious/philosophical discussion of our society.

Back to basketball. I do think that sports are a microcosm of our life, our society. Sports should provide some structure that supports basic values and builds and reinforces character. We like to hold up sports to our children as a way of developing character, understanding team work, and learning how to interact in a meaningful way with people.

I am not a religious person, but I have a moral and ethical center that I try to operate from, I draw a line in the sand so to speak on what I consider to be appropriate behavior. That does not include supporting the idea of deliberately “throwing” a basketball game to cheat the system to gain an advantage. That crosses the line with me.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that some people on here were advocating pulling a player, particularly a veteran player, to prevent the team from winning, to guarantee a loss. In my book, that is just wrong.

You also say that if you were the coach, it would never be a problem because you would put a minutes ceiling on the veterans in order to provide more minutes for the developing players.

I think you have to ask yourself, though, would this hypothetical strategy really be that restrictive a part of your philosophy, if there were no lottery considerations? If, the number of losses had no bearing on the draft pick? No matter how the game was going, the veteran would never get more than that hypothetical 20 minutes? If so, then we should really have this discussion in a player development strategy thread instead of a tanking thread.

Finally, as part of what I consider ethical, moral, appropriate behavior, is how you treat people. You don’t treat people as disposable, and certainly not in order to assist in the production of an inappropriate action. Yes, I realize, the NBA is a business and people get cut, demoted, benched every day. But that should be performance driven not cheating the system driven.

Artificially restricting veterans’ minutes for the primary purpose of guaranteeing losses crosses that line again. These guys have lives and families and careers. Now, both Z-Bo and Carter are near the end of their careers, but Temple and Koufus still have productive years left.

It would be terribly unfair to artificially restrict their playing time and deprive them of the opportunities to demonstrate their abilities, as well deprive them of the enjoyment of the game solely for the tainted purpose of guaranteeing a loss.

Temple had the game of his life, he will never forget it. It was a big moment for him. All of us live for our occasional big moments (and they may be trivial compared to other’s big moment, but they are our big moments). His team mates and the majority of the fans who watched the game will remember it for a long time. I am glad he was not deprived of it in order to facilitate a dishonest strategy.

Well, alrighty then, where do I begin? I read your post several times and I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around what you are trying to say. First, you say that nobody cares about ethics and morals in basketball, but, then you turn around and say that doesn’t mean we should compromise our ethics and morals because others do.

Maybe the majority of people don’t care about ethics and morals in basketball and maybe that translates over to our society in general. I know that after 63 years I am more disappointed than I have ever been in the lack of ethics and morals in our society in general almost as much as I am in the hypocrisy of the very people who should be setting the examples for society.

However, I digress, I have no intention, no way, no how, of devolving this into a political/religious/philosophical discussion of our society.

Back to basketball. I do think that sports are a microcosm of our life, our society. Sports should provide some structure that supports basic values and builds and reinforces character. We like to hold up sports to our children as a way of developing character, understanding team work, and learning how to interact in a meaningful way with people.

I am not a religious person, but I have a moral and ethical center that I try to operate from, I draw a line in the sand so to speak on what I consider to be appropriate behavior. That does not include supporting the idea of deliberately “throwing” a basketball game to cheat the system to gain an advantage. That crosses the line with me.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that some people on here were advocating pulling a player, particularly a veteran player, to prevent the team from winning, to guarantee a loss. In my book, that is just wrong.

You also say that if you were the coach, it would never be a problem because you would put a minutes ceiling on the veterans in order to provide more minutes for the developing players.

I think you have to ask yourself, though, would this hypothetical strategy really be that restrictive a part of your philosophy, if there were no lottery considerations? If, the number of losses had no bearing on the draft pick? No matter how the game was going, the veteran would never get more than that hypothetical 20 minutes? If so, then we should really have this discussion in a player development strategy thread instead of a tanking thread.

Finally, as part of what I consider ethical, moral, appropriate behavior, is how you treat people. You don’t treat people as disposable, and certainly not in order to assist in the production of an inappropriate action. Yes, I realize, the NBA is a business and people get cut, demoted, benched every day. But that should be performance driven not cheating the system driven.

Artificially restricting veterans’ minutes for the primary purpose of guaranteeing losses crosses that line again. These guys have lives and families and careers. Now, both Z-Bo and Carter are near the end of their careers, but Temple and Koufus still have productive years left.

It would be terribly unfair to artificially restrict their playing time and deprive them of the opportunities to demonstrate their abilities, as well deprive them of the enjoyment of the game solely for the tainted purpose of guaranteeing a loss.

Temple had the game of his life, he will never forget it. It was a big moment for him. All of us live for our occasional big moments (and they may be trivial compared to other’s big moment, but they are our big moments). His team mates and the majority of the fans who watched the game will remember it for a long time. I am glad he was not deprived of it in order to facilitate a dishonest strategy.
My point regarding ethics and morals is that league doesn't seem to really care. If they did, they would do something about tanking, and possibly moving towards a hard cap to ensure a better balance so that the rich don't get richer while the smaller market teams struggle to compete in a league which apparently has a level playing field. With that said, just because others utilise the system and lose on purpose, doesn't mean we should.

To be clear... I would rather our team win than lose. I would never advocate throwing a game. Like you, I have certain values that I try to live by and they run against losing on purpose and throwing games. However, I do accept that tanking is part of the league and we appear to be doing our best job to tank. Whether that's the right thing to do is up for debate.

My stance on limiting veterans is not to punish them or guarantee losses. It is purely and simply to provide the greatest opportunity to develop players that could be part of our long term future. As you touch on in your post, Z-Bo and Carter are nearing the end of their careers, so to give them 30 minutes and significant roles does not help the long term building process by taking minutes and opportunities from Skal at PF or Buddy, Malachi, Bogdanovic and Jackson at SG and SF. I obviously value their presence around the team, but that is more as mentors and in a supporting role on court. The same goes for Temple and Koufos, we know how good they are, and they are unlikely to develop into next tier players at this stage in their career. So to give them 30 minutes and opportunities over the younger players may not help the long term development of the younger players.

The rest of this season should be about developing our young players and evaluating them to see which of them might have a future with us beyond this season and which of them are possible assets to move in the off season. That might seem callous, but realistically we need to see more of the young (potentially) ascending players rather than the veterans that aren't likely to be part of our long term future.

Also, the minutes restriction would be flexible. If we are winning like the other night and one player is hot, I wouldn't take them out because that would hurt the team more than help it. Perhaps that's a contradiction and hypocritical of me, but in situations like the Orlando game the minutes restriction would be flexible. Like I said, I'd rather win than lose, and I also believe winning is a good habit for players to get into (e.g. I was very supportive of the 49ers winning run to end this season). So if a veteran is helping us win and their performance on court is helping guys like Fox, Bogdanovic (etc) learn and helps their development, then I wouldn't restrict that. But in other games the main minutes would go to the young players and the veterans would likely be playing 20 minutes or less.

I'm used to it. Criticizing contracts like Thompson or Landry in the past meant I had an agenda for example.

But the franchise & coach obviously agree with me about the veteran situation with the forced sitting of vets for development reasons.

I have to agree on most points. Kings have been stuck in the lower level of mediocrity for a decade plus.

Winning too many pointless games or drafting poorly 4ever.

Kings really need to unload most of the vets by the deadline. Keeping them around all year would be a mistake. But, it would be so typical.

Kings really should be playing all the youngsters 30 plus minutes every night.

The Kings desperately need a Top 4 pick.
If the Kings continue to win games at the hands of Temple and Randolph it will hurt he Kings future.
You don't know the story about young elephants and rhinos, do you?

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
That's the ******* point!

We all want the Kings to get the #1 pick, or absent that, the highest pick they can get. But me wanting to enjoy watching a game has absolutely zero impact on that, so I choose to enjoy watching the game.
So enjoy the game!

That's the ******* point!

We all want the Kings to get the #1 pick, or absent that, the highest pick they can get. But me wanting to enjoy watching a game has absolutely zero impact on that, so I choose to enjoy watching the game.
So enjoy the game!
I can't enjoy the wins (although I have enjoyed Fox and Bogie's game winning shots because they are the future) when I know it leads to way more losses in the future.

If your scope is game to game, that's fine. My scope is year to year at the moment and when they become good, it'll be game to game again. I'm not going to cheer for a momentary "high" when I realize that it's going to lead to 10 more years of living under a bridge. Sorry, can't do it.

I'm not arguing which way you should be a fan. I'm just telling you how some of the people on "this side" feel about it and it's more about the future as a whole than a few pointless wins sprinkled throughout a season.

Warhawk

Staff member
I can't enjoy the wins (although I have enjoyed Fox and Bogie's game winning shots because they are the future) when I know it leads to way more losses in the future.

If your scope is game to game, that's fine. My scope is year to year at the moment and when they become good, it'll be game to game again. I'm not going to cheer for a momentary "high" when I realize that it's going to lead to 10 more years of living under a bridge. Sorry, can't do it.

I'm not arguing which way you should be a fan. I'm just telling you how some of the people on "this side" feel about it and it's more about the future as a whole than a few pointless wins sprinkled throughout a season.
I've been a fan of the team since they arrived in Sacramento. I've seen long term and short term gains and losses, for a variety of reasons. Nobody wants this team to succeed and win more than I, or VF21, or any other fan of the Kings (including you).

As I said - high draft picks are great. If you don't get an Oden, for example, they can help your team. NOBODY is arguing that point.

But don't let long term goals interfere with your love of the team and the game. If you can't enjoy a win in the moment, why watch?

I've been a fan of the team since they arrived in Sacramento. I've seen long term and short term gains and losses, for a variety of reasons. Nobody wants this team to succeed and win more than I, or VF21, or any other fan of the Kings (including you).

As I said - high draft picks are great. If you don't get an Oden, for example, they can help your team. NOBODY is arguing that point.

But don't let long term goals interfere with your love of the team and the game. If you can't enjoy a win in the moment, why watch?
I'm not saying that you guys don't want the team to succeed either. I'm watching because I'm looking to see the young guys develop. The final score means nothing to me. How they play does.

If the Kings did a better job of tanking over the years we may have gotten guys like Marcus Smart, Nerlens Noel, Bradley Beal, and Kemba Walker instead of McLemore, Stauskas, Fredette and Robinson. Those guys were all taken a spot or two ahead of the guys we picked. It's important so I'm not going to get too giddy over pointless wins while knowing the more talented players are going to be further and further out of reach.

To me, the enjoyment comes from the overall success of the team. I consider just making the playoffs a success for this franchise. I cant root for pointless wins knowing it pushes the overall success further and further away. If you can, that's great. I can't.

I'm not saying that you guys don't want the team to succeed either. I'm watching because I'm looking to see the young guys develop. The final score means nothing to me. How they play does.

If the Kings did a better job of tanking over the years we may have gotten guys like Marcus Smart, Nerlens Noel, Bradley Beal, and Kemba Walker instead of McLemore, Stauskas, Fredette and Robinson. Those guys were all taken a spot or two ahead of the guys we picked. It's important so I'm not going to get too giddy over pointless wins while knowing the more talented players are going to be further and further out of reach.

To me, the enjoyment comes from the overall success of the team. I consider just making the playoffs a success for this franchise. I cant root for pointless wins knowing it pushes the overall success further and further away. If you can, that's great. I can't.
The issue with that line of thought is that from 2012/13 onward there was a real effort to build a supporting cast for Cousins and to start to win games - eg we traded for Gay halfway through that season. So it was unlikely that the team was going to tank from that point on because we spent years making moves to try and take that next step. Admittedly those moves in free agency, trades, and coaching changes never really worked but tanking was never on the cards with Cousins growing into a star talent.

After the Evans (09) and Cousins (10) picks things looked positive, and had we drafted better things could have been different. But that's the benefit of hindsight. We get to see those players we ignored or disissed go on to have success while those we wanted fail.

Barring us deliberately throwing games I want the best pick possible same as everyone else. However to say any win is pointless is where I disagree. Until we can quantify what winning a game does for the players we already have on the roster, I don't see how we can say they are pointless.

I won't even get into the fact that:

"The odds of each team landing the No. 1 overall pick may be determined by regular season record, but those teams don't always see the balls bounce in their favor. In fact, since the lottery was implemented in 1985, only six teams with the highest odds of landing the top pick actually landed it."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-lottery-history-no-1-overall-pick/101752858/

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
Oh, so maybe we would have gotten Derrick Favors instead of DMC? Or gotten Tristan Thompson? Or maybe Anthony Bennett, right? Greg Oden, Derrick Coleman, and Pervis Ellison also say "hi". There were "busts" (based on position taken in the draft) taken ahead of us just about every year, just like the ones we often made. The draft is not a panacea. Being higher helps, but you need to nail the picks wherever you are at. We haven't always done that.....and neither have others. Who is to say we wouldn't have made some of the same bad choices higher up in the draft anyways (at least some years)?

I am in no way arguing that a higher draft position doesn't help our cause, but last year had we been one position higher we wouldn't have jumped up like we did to get Fox. The draft is also a crap shoot in that way.