SVG going to Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.
His second interview wasn't until Saturday. The Kings were not as infatuated with Van Gundy as some people on this board are and they weren't going to offer a coach a contract until he met with the Maloofs.
Maybe the Maloofs weren't as crazy about him. That is very different than not being able to hire him is they had wanted him.

Word is that SVG was going to be offered the Kings job pending a solid PowerPoint presentation to the Maloof family later this week.

These PowerPoint jokes never seem to get old.

For the record I'm not upset that we aren't going to be getting SVG, the awesomest coach evah... I'm upset that we have been pleasantly biding our time and then it appeared to leak that SVG was our top choice right as it seemed likely we were going to lose him. So now whoever we wind up with is going to come in as "Plan B" which is just another hurdle for someone who will be our 3rd coach in 3 seasons. And if SVG was our top choice we should have been proactive from the moment Muss was canned or at least as soon as the Heat got knocked out of the playoffs.

Timeline:
Muss fired - April 19
Heat eliminated - April 29
Magic fire Hill - May 23
Magic announce Donovan - May 31

If you consider that the decision to whack Muss probably came at the All Star break there has been plenty of time to identify potential candidates and yet we are finally getting around to narrowing down our top candidate last weekend? There was a good chunk of time where Orlando wasn't even a possibility for SVG and if he really was our top choice, for better or worse, we should have moved decisively like the Magic have done.

I don't really understand why people are so down on Rambis as a coach. Is it because he played and coached for the Lakers? Because he also played for the Kings and was pretty popular to the point where we had a "Kurt Rambis night" where they gave out glasses.

His first head coaching stint wasn't really a huge failure it was just that he was thrust into a difficult situation. He had a winning record but had a hard time balancing the egos on a Lakers team that included Eddie Jones/Shaq/Kobe/Elden Campbell. I have to think any rookie coach would have had problems getting that group to listen, hell even PJ had problems with them initially to the point Eddie Jones and Elden Campell got traded for Glenn Rice for the whole thing to finally work.

All in all this is a guy with Championship rings both as a key role player on some great great teams, and as an assistant coach who has learned under one of the best coaches of all time. Admittedly SVG would have been great as he was a guy who coached a Heat team successfully in rebuild mode, but I don't see how Rambis is a bad secondary option.

This definitely does not sound like a done deal, and IMO mods should consider changing the headline. From Orlando Sentinal blog:

Where Is Stan? Orlando? Sacramento? Bahamas?
Posted on Jun 6, 2007 1:41:20 PM

Where's Stan the Man?

Does he know the plan?

Stan was curiously out of pocket Wednesday morning, he and his wife apparently on a "trip."

A trip to Orlando, where he will become the Magic coach?

A trip to Sacramento, where he will take the Kings' job?

A trip to The Bahamas, where he might be taking a vacation?

Beats me.

If Van Gundy is off to Sacramento, it likely means the Magic lost another coach in this Billy Donovan saga and will go to plan C. It might mean that Pat Riley, the Miami Heat coach and team president, wanted too much in compensation for Van Gundy and the Magic said forget it.

If Van Gundy is off to Orlando, well, at least the Magic got their runnerup choice to Backin' Out Billy.

And if Stan is in The Bahamas, with one of those jobs in his pocket, I'm extremely jealous.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/06/where_is_stan_o.html

My problem with this situation is that we have (again?) waited until our best option was gone. He was the candidate who was not just suspected good, but proven. He would have commanded respect from our veterans, and been taken seriously. Now, if the Orlando paper isn't calling things prematurely, we're back to being the tester for someone who might or might not be good, and who won't have the sort of locker room authority that SVG would have had. And we're really in no position to be taking another gamble.

This definitely does not sound like a done deal, and IMO mods should consider changing the headline. From Orlando Sentinal blog:

Where Is Stan? Orlando? Sacramento? Bahamas?
Posted on Jun 6, 2007 1:41:20 PM

Where's Stan the Man?

Does he know the plan?

Stan was curiously out of pocket Wednesday morning, he and his wife apparently on a "trip."

A trip to Orlando, where he will become the Magic coach?

A trip to Sacramento, where he will take the Kings' job?

A trip to The Bahamas, where he might be taking a vacation?

Beats me.

If Van Gundy is off to Sacramento, it likely means the Magic lost another coach in this Billy Donovan saga and will go to plan C. It might mean that Pat Riley, the Miami Heat coach and team president, wanted too much in compensation for Van Gundy and the Magic said forget it.

If Van Gundy is off to Orlando, well, at least the Magic got their runnerup choice to Backin' Out Billy.

And if Stan is in The Bahamas, with one of those jobs in his pocket, I'm extremely jealous.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/06/where_is_stan_o.html
My guess is that his trip will be over Friday, when he will return to the Magic's press conference to introduce him. Now they (Magic) are just getting him out of reach of the press - for everybody's good.

I'd like to be wrong

Good i didnt want SVG, rambis or porter i think are better options in my opinion. I think SVG is an overated coach and the heat are wanting something in return for him. Just becuse hes kind of proven doesnt mean hes going to be great hes mediocre in my opinion id like an assistant whos the next great coach. remember not evryone is a total bust of a coach like muss.

His first head coaching stint wasn't really a huge failure it was just that he was thrust into a difficult situation. He had a winning record but had a hard time balancing the egos on a Lakers team that included Eddie Jones/Shaq/Kobe/Elden Campbell. I have to think any rookie coach would have had problems getting that group to listen, hell even PJ had problems with them initially to the point Eddie Jones and Elden Campell got traded for Glenn Rice for the whole thing to finally work.
This sounds like a description of Muss's time at Golden State.

I don't have a good feel for whether SVG was the best guy for the job or not. I was kind of rooting for him because it seemed like he was backstabbed in Miami (I know, I know: he "resigned"). He had some success there. On the other hand, he had Shaq, so I'm not sure how that would translate to a rebuilding team.

I wonder whether the issue of compensation had an impact on the Kings' reluctance to offer a contract. The Kings don't have a second-rounder this year (clearly, the No. 10 pick is out of play). I don't think you should give up anything for the right to hire a coach unless you're damned sure he's the right guy. Who can blame the Kings for being a bit on the cautious side in hiring a coach after last year's fiasco?

I can't agree with anyone who is 100 percent certain that SVG is/was the best guy for the job, better than Rambis or Porter or whomever. To me, the coaching decision is less important than improving the talent base and team chemistry. Not sure that Red Auerbach reincarnated could get the current roster into the second round of the playoffs.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
And whom might that be??? I felt SVG was the most qualified candidate for the job. I'm not sold on any "assistant" coach who want the opportunity to be head coach. The only other coach I would have wanted was Terry Porter and from what I read, he wasn't given the opportunity to interview.
Carlesimo.

I have the answrer

we could pay Ron Jeremy to confuse Orlando into thinking he's Stan Van Gundy, brainwash the real SVG into wanting to coach our team, were killing two birds with one stone. We get our coach and Orlando can be in movies.

could someone give me an example of a current head coach who, prior to being that head coach, was an assistant coach for another team?

i can only think of two previously-assistant head coaches, avery and d'antoni, and both of those guys were promoted up in the same ball clubs.

My guess is that his trip will be over Friday, when he will return to the Magic's press conference to introduce him. Now they (Magic) are just getting him out of reach of the press - for everybody's good.

I'd like to be wrong
Yup, I'd say that's probably 99.99% true, and we should hear something tomorrow afternoon or something about a news conference at around 10am/EST for the Magic to announce the SVG hiring. This sucks...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

People ignore that even before the choking incident that guy was a mediocre failure as a head coach. 183-222 career. 3-9 playoffs. After a wide scale players' revolt this past season, hard to see us angling for the most unplayer friendly candidate this side of Carlisle as the replacement.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
could someone give me an example of a current head coach who, prior to being that head coach, was an assistant coach for another team?

i can only think of two previously-assistant head coaches, avery and d'antoni, and both of those guys were promoted up in the same ball clubs.
Eddie Jordan.

Happens all the time. I can think of a dozen instances in recent years just off the top of my head (Minnesota's old coach, Porter, Scott, Bzdelik etc.). But I would agree that that is rarely the final stop for that assistant. A number of them have gone on to success in other cities, but that first step is a doozy -- inexperienced coach cutting his teeth on what is almost always a rebuilding situation.

Last edited:
Hopefully we will hear something along the lines of:

'The Sacramento Kings today announced that they have just received permission from the Detroit Pistons to conduct interviews with assistant coach Terry Porter. The Kings are still searching for a new head coach, after once again missing out on a #1 choice to fill their void, in Stan Van Gundy. The Kings said that the interview with Porter would be immediate, as they're looking to fill the void with the only quality candidate left, before the NBA Draft on June 28th.'

*keeping fingers crossed that things pan out this way*

This sounds like a description of Muss's time at Golden State.
Not really, Rambis won over 50 games... closer to 60 if I remember correctly. He also lead his team to the playoffs. Muss never did either. Also, I wouldn't compare balancing the egos of Troy Murphy, Jason Richardson and Adonal Foyle to balancing Elden Cambpell, Eddie Jones, Shaq, and Kobe. Even PJ was only able to hold that circus together and make it work for so long.

Muss was given a rebuilding team and failed and then was given a Kings team that really was closer to a rebuilding team than a vet team and failed.

Rambis was given a team pushing for a championship and failed only in that in one seasons work he didn't get them to take the next step (ring a bell to those who want SVG? ). I actually think Rambis is the perfect type of coach for a rebuilding team.

In general I have been MUCH MUCH happier with the coaching list this year than last. SVG, Rambis, and Porter are all coaches who would be great for a young rebuilding squad.

Let's put it in perspective...
This year our choices are:
1. A guy who recently performed well with a rebuilding team AND a veteran team and got both versions to the playoffs in the NBA.
2. A guy who has gotten Championship rings as a player and coach, has coached an NBA team to the playoffs, and has studied under perhaps the greatest coach of all time... oh yeah and he played for the Kings
3. A guy who played in the NBA championship series, was groomed as an assistant in the Sacramento system, has been an NBA head coach, and has been an assistant coach on teams that went deep into the playoffs.

Last years major choices
1. A guy who never played in the NBA. His lone coaching job he improved a bad team but never made the playoffs. He was enthusiastic and seemed well prepared on paper
2. A WNBA coach who was perhaps being handed the job by his friends, no NBA experience, limited experience in general

Status
Not open for further replies.