Surprise playoff run this year

But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will 'love' as one.

I have a high opinion of Hill. And think he can possibly have a good chapter here. If Buddy AND Justin/Bogdan are ready at the 3, the wings are locked and loaded. I think Skal can be passable as soon as this season, and Koufos is a rock if one of the young bigs aren't ready.

But we will see.. not expecting it, but I can't go into the season with nothing to hope for
I'm glad you recognized the lyrics, a favorite of mine.

The thing is, if we miss the playoffs as logic tells us is most likely, I am ok with that. I know how far from playoff ready our roster construction is, let alone each individual player for the most part. I am more than ok adding another top five talent from the 2018 crop while building experience and unity with the young core we have so far.

That said, I hope to see us capable of taking it to anyone on any given night. I also will definitely be looking for us to make a strong playoff push during the 2018-2019 season.

Why hold Joerger accountable for "the failed Cousins experiment"?
Because, technically, it's not known if there was another coach that the results wouldn't have been different and therefore no trade made. Regardless of what percentage of fault, 25% or .0001, I find it hard to just give him that free time

Because, technically, it's not known if there was another coach that the results wouldn't have been different and therefore no trade made. Regardless of what percentage of fault, 25% or .0001, I find it hard to just give him that free time
Cousins looked about the same under Joerger to me as he had under Karl, Malone, etc. Mostly dominant on the offensive end and sometimes could not get back to defend. I'm not sure Pop, Phil or Red Auerbach would have had any more success with last seasons squad.

dude12

Hall of Famer
He should be accountable for every second he's coached here. Maybe that was worded incorrectly. I didn't mean directly accountable, but accountable as any type of participating party
Yeah but the way you stated it was he should have been held accountable for the failed Cousins experiment....well, no. The FO traded Cousins before a full year could be played out. When they pulled the plug, the Kings were within range of the playoffs. You can't assume either way whether they would flounder, flourish or whatever the remainder of the season. The only facts we know is Vlade traded Cousins and pulled the plug. All you can grade Joerger on last year is the development of the younger players last year as the front office moved the goal posts on him from playoffs to player development and quite frankly, it was a masterful change of direction by him in a difficult situation.
I'd say that he succeeded as our young guys showed progress....real progress compared to what previous coaches have been able to do.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He should be accountable for every second he's coached here. Maybe that was worded incorrectly. I didn't mean directly accountable, but accountable as any type of participating party
Amigo your making an argument just to argue. Not worth yours or my time. It's like arguing with your spouse over who forgot to take out the trash when your town is flooding. somehow, the trash isn't on my priority list just then.

Amigo your making an argument just to argue. Not worth yours or my time. It's like arguing with your spouse over who forgot to take out the trash when your town is flooding. somehow, the trash isn't on my priority list just then.
It's called a forum, if I see something that I want to comment or differ on, I will. No ones trying to "argue" anything.

gunks

Hall of Famer
How dare you bring logic, a fair assessment of Vlade, and a sensible outlook to the season to bear on my top notch ability to delude myself into thinking we have a chance at the playoffs. You'll pay for this.
Hey man, you can still be delusional!

As far as my delusions go... I think Fox will be ROY, Buddy will average at least 16ppg on good percentages, WCS will be a double double machine, Giles will gradually play more and more minutes (flashing Webber potential), Bogs will be amazing, Jackson will be a stud roleplayer, and Skal will flash franchise player potential!

Hey, maybe we will make the playoffs!

Edit: also Papa and Mali. They'll do cool stuff too!

Last edited:
Hey man, you can still be delusional!

As far as my delusions go... I think Fox will be in the running for ROY, Buddy will average at least 16ppg on good percentages, WCS will be a double double machine, Giles will gradually play more and more minutes (flashing Webber potential), Bogs will be amazing, Jackson will be a stud roleplayer, and Skal will flash franchise player potential!

Hey, maybe we will make the playoffs!
See none of that seems delusional to me at all. It's pretty much gonna happen. You've almost acquitted yourself you unapologetic pragmatist.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sorry but I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to get at.

You put out a comment with "failed Cousins experiment" in it as those that's an accepted premise. What exactly does that mean? How was Cousins an experiment? He was a player, drafted onto the Kings like a myriad of players before him. He came here during a time of turmoil, his entire time here was filled with turmoil, and yet he remained loyal to the team and the fans the whole time. When he was finally traded in the best interests of the team, it didn't mean Joerger had failed. It merely meant Joerger did not have enough time to be a factor in the final determination of Cousins future with the Kings.

Even if I concede your view of Cousins time here as an experiment, I don't think you can in any way point the finger of blame at Joerger. He was merely the final link in the chain of coaches that Cousins played for - a chain, if you recall, that consisted of Westphal, Smart, Malone, Corbin, Karl and lastly Joerger. Joerger, as has been pointed out above, was Cousins' coach for a very short period of time. We will never know how things might have played out over time.

It's called a forum, if I see something that I want to comment or differ on, I will. No ones trying to "argue" anything.
And people who don't agree with your comments will say so. And yes, that can be considered an argument which can be defined as "a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong." This whole place is about arguing in one form or another. It's all good. :)

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yes, its a forum, and as a part of that forum, I'm expressing my opinion. Never said you couldn't, OK!!! I think I know how it works. Argue: To give reasons for or against something. To contend with words. To consider the pro's and con's of. To persuade by giving reasons. That's Websters Dictionary definition of what it means to argue. I think you just might fit that description amigo......

I don't think trying for 8th seed would be the right plan here. We will be without a 2019 1st round pick, meaning 2018 will be our final chance to add a franchise player onto this team. The only way to get franchise players in the NBA is through the draft.
I know I keep saying this around here, but there's no one on this team who has shown the ability to carry an entire offense on their back. The only 2 players who I'd bet on becoming franchise players on this squad is either Fox or Skal. Even with that, if you tell me right now that our franchise player is DeAaron Fox or Skal Labissiere, I'm going to be very worried about the future of this team.

Buddy will need to do a complete 180 on his ball handling to resemble anything Harden is. If Buddy should model his game after anyone, I'd point to Devin Booker. Booker is a much much better ball handler, but he has similar limitations in athleticism and quickness. However, he finds other ways to make up for it. 23 yearold taking a page out of a 20yearold, but it would be the only way I could see Buddy turning into anything remotely close to a franchise player.
To be fair, no one's really gotten the opportunity to show they can carry an entire offense on their back yet. And even still, we saw signs from Skal last year of having monster offensive potential and Buddy put up outstanding scoring numbers for us during the last 20 games. But for the most part, I agree; We have a lot of really good prospects who have a chance at being above average starters or even all-stars, but I don't see an elite #1 option on the team either.

The good news is the top of the 2018 draft has a legit chance of producing of quite of a few "franchise-altering" talents and elite #1 options. Planning on watching every Ayton game and probably Porter too.

To be fair, no one's really gotten the opportunity to show they can carry an entire offense on their back yet. And even still, we saw signs from Skal last year of having monster offensive potential and Buddy put up outstanding scoring numbers for us during the last 20 games. But for the most part, I agree; We have a lot of really good prospects who have a chance at being above average starters or even all-stars, but I don't see an elite #1 option on the team either.

The good news is the top of the 2018 draft has a legit chance of producing of quite of a few "franchise-altering" talents and elite #1 options. Planning on watching every Ayton game and probably Porter too.
Like Buddy Ayton is from the Bahamas. I too am curious about him even though the center position would apparently appear a lesser need than what Porter would fill.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I would suggest you also keep a close eye on Bagley, who I think, at this moment in time has the most upside of any of them. But all three are going to be very good if not great players. Of course there Doncic and Bamba as well.

Cousins looked about the same under Joerger to me as he had under Karl, Malone, etc. Mostly dominant on the offensive end and sometimes could not get back to defend. I'm not sure Pop, Phil or Red Auerbach would have had any more success with last seasons squad.
Shaq had problems getting back to defend as well and it didnt stop his teams dead in their tracks and from missing the playoffs every year.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I would suggest you also keep a close eye on Bagley, who I think, at this moment in time has the most upside of any of them. But all three are going to be very good if not great players. Of course there Doncic and Bamba as well.
From what I've heard, this next draft is more top heavy than deep but should have some real talent in the top 6 or so.

Man, I almost feel like it's ok to root for "lins" next year....

....and I only say this because I'm pretty sure Slim isnt around during TDOS to ban me for talking such blasphemy before the season even starts. :p

bajaden

Hall of Famer
From what I've heard, this next draft is more top heavy than deep but should have some real talent in the top 6 or so.

....and I only say this because I'm pretty sure Slim isnt around during TDOS to ban me for talking such blasphemy before the season even starts. :p
A year ago, most wouldn't have compared the coming draft to this past draft, but that's the difference a year makes. Players like Bamba and Ayton took some big steps forward. Everyone already knew about Porter. Then Doncic started to distance himself in Europe. Finally, when Bagley, who without a doubt would have been the number one pick in the 2019 draft reclassified to the 2018 draft, you had 5 players that could potentially be the number on pick in this coming draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Ahem...