Summer League Info

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
KINGS TO PLAY IN NBA SUMMER LEAGUE IN LAS VEGAS

SACRAMENTO, CA ----
The Sacramento Kings will field a team for the fifth straight year to compete in the 2009 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas from July 10-19 at the Thomas & Mack Center and Cox Pavilion. Sacramento will play five games in eight days. Fifteen players will be on the team, including veterans Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson, and Donté Greene and the Kings’ draft selections, Tyreke Evans, Omri Casspi, and Jon Brockman. Assistant Coach Pete Carril will be responsible for coaching the Kings’ summer league entry. The Kings will hold a mini-camp in Las Vegas on Wednesday and Thursday before opening their Summer League schedule against Detroit on Friday. Kings.com will provide comprehensive coverage of Summer League beginning July 8 and will webcast all five Kings games. Fans interested in attending NBA Summer League games can purchase tickets through UNLVtickets.com.

KINGS SUMMER LEAGUE SCHEDULE
Day Date Opponent Time Arena TV/Webcast
Friday July 10 vs. Detroit 3 p.m. Cox Pavilion Webcast
Saturday July 11 vs. Golden State 5 p.m. Cox Pavilion Webcast
Monday July 13 vs. Milwaukee 7:30 p.m. Thomas & Mack Cntr Webcast
Wednesday July 15 vs. D-League Select 5:30 p.m. Thomas & Mack Cntr Webcast
Friday July 17 vs. New York 3 p.m. Cox Pavilion Webcast

2009 NBA SUMMER LEAGUE SACRAMENTO KINGS ROSTER

No. Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Born From NBA Exp.
42 Robert Battle F 6-8 230 05/05/1981 Drexel R
40 Jon Brockman F 6-7 255 03/20/1987 Washington R
43 John Bryant C 6-11 275 06/13/1987 Santa Clara R
20 Pat Calathes G-F 6-10 210 12/12/1985 St. Joseph’s R
18 Omri Casspi F 6-9 225 06/22/1988 Israel R
13 Tyreke Evans G 6-6 220 09/19/1989 Memphis R
20 Donté Greene F 6-11 226 02/21/1988 Syracuse 1
31 Spencer Hawes C-F 7-0 245 04/28/1988 Washington 2
16 Marcus Landry F 6-7 230 11/01/1985 Wisconsin R
25 Wes Matthews G-F 6-5 220 12/14/1986 Marquette R
22 Jerel McNeal G 6-3 200 06/01/1987 Marquette R
15 Brian Roberts G 6-2 175 12/03/1985 Dayton R
8 Victor Stowes G 6-2 215 09/29/1984 Reinhardt College R
34 Jason Thompson F 6-11 250 07/21/1986 Rider 1
7 Ryan Toolson G 6-4 190 03/21/1985 Utah Valley R

SUMMER LEAGUE HEAD COACH: Pete Carril (College - Lafayette)
HEAD COACH Paul Westphal (College - USC)
ASSISTANT COACHES Jim Eyen (College - UC-Santa Barbara)
Mario Elie (College - American International)
Truck Robinson (College - Tennessee State)
Shareef Abdur-Rahim (College - California)
Pete Carril (College - Lafayette)
ATHLETIC TRAINER Pete Youngman (College - Ithaca)
STRENGTH-AND-CONDITIONING COACH Daniel Shapiro (College - Seattle Pacific)

casspi played on huston at the last summer league.
he had 18 ppg...
Awesome! I didn't know that.

This is really going to be an interesting team. The family and I might just have to pick up a couple games :D

BTW, aren't a couple of the games going to be at Capital Christian Center? That's near where I live so that would be nice.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Awesome! I didn't know that.

This is really going to be an interesting team. The family and I might just have to pick up a couple games :D

BTW, aren't a couple of the games going to be at Capital Christian Center? That's near where I live so that would be nice.
Sorry, different summer league.. This one is in Vegas. A slightly longer commute..:)

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Will be interesting to see if big John Bryant of Santa Clara has NBA game. When he first came to Santa Clara he weight 365 but has lost 90 lb over the past 3 yr. Word is he has very good foot movement and great hands. A start but can he move very quick? Was their leading scorer I think too. Don't be surprised if he is signed by Reno in D-League.

Five more guards is interesting to go along with Evans.

Will provide as much info as possible on these guys in next few days.

Will be interesting to see if big John Bryant of Santa Clara has NBA game. When he first came to Santa Clara he weight 365 but has lost 90 lb over the past 3 yr. Word is he has very good foot movement and great hands. A start but can he move very quick? Was their leading scorer I think too. Don't be surprised if he is signed by Reno in D-League.

Five more guards is interesting to go along with Evans.

Will provide as much info as possible on these guys in next few days.

I also posted this in the other summer league thread.
I wouldn't expect a whole lot from Bryant. He worked to get in better shape but is still ridiculously slow and unathletic. He has an effective post game but its mostly built on being bigger than everyone else. He's a case of a guy that has nba type skill but lacks the physical abilities to probably stick around in the league.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
"Ahh, one more thing" (as Steve Jobs used to say). As to tickets for Vegas Summer league. Cheapest is to buy them at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. When I bought them via Internet, it cost $7.50 extra for each ticket for handling charge and "fees". :p

Glad to see some competent names out there for our roster.

Jerel McNeal is easily the most interesting of the bunch. Defensive roleplayer in the NBA, but can thrive in that role--he's well conditioned, has excellent lateral quickness, reasonably good strength, and very good athleticism to help his cause. Imposes that athleticism with his very good stealing ability, and he's actually an underrated shotblocker for someone his size as well--but part of the reason his intrigue has been less in seasons past was that he lost a chunk of his rebound rate and stole the ball less this season, although to his credit he cut down on his crazy foul proneness in the past. But for someone who probably has to make his name as a defensive stopper, that doesn't really bode well for him. Offensively he's not that impressive--he's never been a very good 2-pt shooter throughout his career, and although he shot near 40% from deep this year on a high number of attempts it might potentially be a fluke, because he couldn't shoot them well at all in the past. He doesn't get to the line as much as you'd like for someone of his athleticism, but to his credit he's trying to develop a jumpshot--he drastically increased his three point attempts this year and became more of a spot-up player, and thus reduced his turnovers (which had been a real problem in the past). Probably a mechanical offensive player in the NBA. That brings up another problem--he doesn't have great ballhandling skills, and his court vision is on par with SGs, so he'll probably never be a point guard. Overall he's just a niche player. Probably has to find a place as a defensive stopper.

John Bryant is big, burly (6'11" 275) and can really rebound--you can honestly make a case for him being the best rebounder in college basketball this past season. Also quite a good shotblocker, although he was doing this against poor competition and with the lack of athleticism this might not look as good in the next level. Meat and potatoes offensive guy who shows decent ability to draw fouls and hit free throws, and does have solid shooting touch from the perimeter as well. Like many big men, he also has little passing ability and he's quite foul prone. Just a prototypical good college big man. But tons of things to be skeptical about--he was doing this against poor competition where he was just bigger than everyone else, and he just lacks the athleticism so that might hinder him in his defense/shotblocking and rebounding. A good guy to grab for summer league, though, just to see what he's got.

Brockman we've went over already...he's only with us (and with the league?) because of his all-out rebounding ability--he's made a living with this in his four years of college. Can become a fan favorite because of that, really. But he's just terribly limited--he struggled even to block shots in college, he's foul prone, and at 6'7" 260 with limited athleticism in the only position he can play (PF) defenders can either easily take him off the dribble or shoot over him. Offensively he's ordinary--scores off misses, out of sheer hustle or just by being around the paint, but again with his build, hard to see it translate to the NBA level.

Pat Calathes was a guy who I thought was a sleeper in last year's draft. Tall shooter at 6'10" (shot 40% from deep last 2 seasons at St Joe's), and isn't just the run-of-the-mill sniper--he's shown very reasonable passing ability especially for a player his size (although he's turnover prone at the same time), and he's also deceptively athletic--he can get to the line for a player who jacks up so many jumpers, and for SF standards he's actually a good defensive rebounder. While the lack of athleticism might not translate the rebounding/slashing, because he lacks length and strength, he's still a useful player who can shoot and pass, and has height as well. He didn't get much playing time in Europe this past year and he shot terribly from three, but that could be a fluke.

Wesley Matthews is interesting. A real late bloomer who finally established himself into a potential NBA prospect in his senior year, mostly by getting more involved in Marquette's offense and increasing the efficiency of his scoring. He is what he is though--for a smaller player (6'5" 215) he really knows how to get himself to the line, and he's done this all four years in Marquette--this might be his best attribute. Offensively I think he could be a good mid-range shooter in the NBA (he's shot between 77-83% from the line all four years in college, on a high rate of free throw attempts), but I really question his finishing ability and I don't think he's got much range--but probably an average offensive player at best if he's to make it. He just doesn't blow away in any one aspect--his passing ability is ordinary, and for an athletic guy who hustles well and plays defense he's just ordinary in terms of getting in passing lanes and rebounding ability. Maybe a Dahntay Jones clone.

Brian Roberts is another interesting guy from last year--he has some interesting athletic tools (decent strength, very good lateral quickness and end-to-end speed) but he's just very very small, lacking wingspan greatly. Self-made player who was a shooter extraordinaire in college. Not much else besides that--poor rebounder and passer for PG standards, and while he does have lateral quickness he had shown little ability to intercept passes as a collegian--a really pathetic steal rate. One-dimensional

Ryan Toolson was a classic scoring machine in a small school. But unlike many of that prototype, he's actually proven himself to be a high efficiency scorer--he can really shoot the ball (39-44% from deep, 93-97!% from the line past three years in college) and as an example of his toughness, for a shooter he's quite decent at getting to the line as well, and he limits his turnovers. But just one dimensional as a scorer only--can't rebound or pass much, and defensively even in college he was a mess--he barely fouled anyone and came up and had a very low steal rate, and at 6'4" 190 with minimal athleticism this will look way worse at the NBA level. Offensively that lack of optimal NBA build will probably relegate him to sharpshooter, if he's even to make it.

Assuming we move Beno, we'll move have Sergio and Evans as PGs , so I'd say McNeal has to good chance of making the team, provided he plays hard. SG/SF are loaded with Garcia, Martin, Noc, Greene and Casspi, and Evans could shift there. PF has KT, Thompson, and C only has Hawes, so a PF or C might be necessary.

I think the pecking order of who has the greatest chance of making training camp/the team goes like this:
1) Jerel McNeal
2) John Brockman (we did draft him)
3) John Bryant
4) Wesley Matthews
5) Pat Calathes
6) Ryan Toolson
7) Brian Roberts
Rest are fodder.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Did anyone else notice that Coachie is the Head coach for the summer league?
Yeah but considering how much of this roster is guaranteed to be a big part of the Kings' team next year, and with Westphal and staff looking to establish themselves starting out with a new team, I think that's really just "head coach in name only". The whole staff is going to be there and I bet they'll be more involved than just observing.

Yeah that is one heck of a summer league team.

It's also half our current NBA roster (Hawes, JT, Donte, Tyreke, Omri and Brock)!! :eek: ;)

--

BTW, I'm very impressed that Spence is participating again this year.

i just noticed that "Brian Roberts" which played in "galil" at the israeli league last year is playing on sacramento this summer league, his a -nice player for the israeli league.
so for the NBA? his gonna be such a FAIL... :rolleyes:

Entity

Hall of Famer
If Tyreke, Donte, Jason, and Spencer all get plenty of playing time in this summer league I will be disappointed if we don't go undefeated.