Strategy for Game 2 (merged)

Before I get into the point of this post, the Kings should have really thought about avoiding the Spurs at all costs since they have an inside game (offense and defense) and the Suns are limited in the paint. It's disappointing that we were one game away from that. Oh well, we're in hell now.

I don't want to make this a post ripping Adelman and the players. The Spurs have a better well rounded starting five and a much better bunch, so the Kings should be big underdogs. That means the starting five of the Kings have to play exceptional and we need to use a better strategy if we wish make this series interesting.

I'm not qualified to be a coach, but here's my take on what we should focus on ....

Who should guard Tony Parker? He's gonna go off on the Kings very often if we don't adjust the way we defended him tonight. Bibby's great, but everybody knows defense is not his thing, so he's totally outmatched against Parker. I think they should put Artest on him. I know they are different positions in all, but he's the only dominating defender we have who might be able to keep up with him and punish him when he gets the chance. Bonzi should guard Ginobili. That would leave Bibby to guard the much larger Bruce Bowen. Sure Bibby is too small, but Bowen's main offense is those corner threes, so why don't we give Bibby the easiest defensive assignment?

In the 2004 playoffs, after losing the first 2 games, the Lakers made the adjustment of having all their players clamp down on Parker in the paint. I don't think that's going to work as well this time because the Spurs have some good shooters now and Ginobili has improved his game a lot. It may sound dirty, the Kings have to knock him on his *** at least once. Artest has too much of that reputation, but maybe have Corliss do it when the bench comes in. We have no shotblockers, so this is the only thing we can do to make him hesitant to go into the paint. Ginobili is fearless, and so it will be hard to stop him. The only thing I can say is to concentrate on guarding his left side since that's usually the direction he drives to the basket.

The Kings have to improve their transition defense. Just run back to the other side, it doesn't matter if you're missing shots. Beyond transition defense, disrupting ball movement/limiting passes is the key. Hopefully by changing match-ups we can accomplish this.

Offensively, I think Adelman will get some improvements out of this group in Game 2. Bonzi turns the ball over a lot, so I think the ball should only be given to him when he's in good position in the paint or is open on the perimeter. Artest has to use his power to drive to the basket more. Bibby and Miller have to find a way to use their passing and pick and roll skills against the Spurs. As mentioned before, our starting five has to give us big numbers.

San Antonio's bench is full of talented vets. When the Spurs bench is in, maybe the Kings can try to run their offense so that it takes advantage of the quickness advantage Martin and Garcia have over Finley, Barry, and Van Excel.

Anyone else have ideas on how we should respond in Game 2?

There is no way Artest can guard Tony Parker... Oddly enough, the people most important in guarding Tony Parker isn't the guards, but the centers and PF's... They need to step out and force Tony to shoot a jump-shot. They need to step out on the pick and rolls and let Tim Duncan or Nazr shoot a jump-shot. Absolutely no effort from any of the big men... ESPECIALLY Brad... Bottom line, is the front line was being held out to dry all game... Leaving Artest, Bonzi, and Bibby to turn around with a :mad: look on their face wondering where their help was... It's all about effort, believe it or not I still think these teams are evenly matched. But one came out with intensity, and one was the Kings... We'll see if a fire is lit under them in game 2. History has told us that Adelman has never really been able to fire his guys up, which has been my one main complaint about him, but maybe Artest can do something about it...

King4Life said:
Before I get into the point of this post, the Kings should have really thought about avoiding the Spurs at all costs since they have an inside game (offense and defense) and the Suns are limited in the paint. It's disappointing that we were one game away from that. Oh well, we're in hell now.

I don't want to make this a post ripping Adelman and the players. The Spurs have a better well rounded starting five and a much better bunch, so the Kings should be big underdogs. That means the starting five of the Kings have to play exceptional and we need to use a better strategy if we wish make this series interesting.

I'm not qualified to be a coach, but here's my take on what we should focus on ....

Who should guard Tony Parker? He's gonna go off on the Kings very often if we don't adjust the way we defended him tonight. Bibby's great, but everybody knows defense is not his thing, so he's totally outmatched against Parker. I think they should put Artest on him. I know they are different positions in all, but he's the only dominating defender we have who might be able to keep up with him and punish him when he gets the chance. Bonzi should guard Ginobili. That would leave Bibby to guard the much larger Bruce Bowen. Sure Bibby is too small, but Bowen's main offense is those corner threes, so why don't we give Bibby the easiest defensive assignment?

In the 2004 playoffs, after losing the first 2 games, the Lakers made the adjustment of having all their players clamp down on Parker in the paint. I don't think that's going to work as well this time because the Spurs have some good shooters now and Ginobili has improved his game a lot. It may sound dirty, the Kings have to knock him on his *** at least once. Artest has too much of that reputation, but maybe have Corliss do it when the bench comes in. We have no shotblockers, so this is the only thing we can do to make him hesitant to go into the paint. Ginobili is fearless, and so it will be hard to stop him. The only thing I can say is to concentrate on guarding his left side since that's usually the direction he drives to the basket.

The Kings have to improve their transition defense. Just run back to the other side, it doesn't matter if you're missing shots. Beyond transition defense, disrupting ball movement/limiting passes is the key. Hopefully by changing match-ups we can accomplish this.

Offensively, I think Adelman will get some improvements out of this group in Game 2. Bonzi turns the ball over a lot, so I think the ball should only be given to him when he's in good position in the paint or is open on the perimeter. Artest has to use his power to drive to the basket more. Bibby and Miller have to find a way to use their passing and pick and roll skills against the Spurs. As mentioned before, our starting five has to give us big numbers.

San Antonio's bench is full of talented vets. When the Spurs bench is in, maybe the Kings can try to run their offense so that it takes advantage of the quickness advantage Martin and Garcia have over Finley, Barry, and Van Excel.

Anyone else have ideas on how we should respond in Game 2?
the same way we should have approached game 1: secure as many defensive rebounds as possible and limit parker/ginobili drives to the hoop. the rest is a matter of executing your offense efficiently--which is good enough to punish any defense in the league when its run properly--and play defense for 48 minutes. it shouldn't be easy. that was a goddamn given going into the series. these are the defending champion spurs, after all. but the kings absolutely should not be getting torched like they did today. everybody gets the blame for that loss, from the head coach all the way down to the garbagetime scrub. there is no excuse for playing with so little defensive effort in the PLAYOFFS.

the offense was not clicking in the first half for the kings. oh well. **** happens. the kings finished that half with 39 points, and against a spurs team that only averages 95 points a game, the deficit at the half should not have been insurmountable. but no....the spurs scored 32 points in the first and 41 points in the second!!! they are a solid offensive team that relies more on its depth than on its offensive prowess, and even at their absolute best they should not be scoring 73 points in a half, especially in the PLAYOFFS. oh...have i reminded everybody that this is the PLAYOFFS?!?! i understand that its a series, and one game by itself cannot advance a team, but it sure as hell helps!!! especially considering the kings have to play in san antonio again on tuesday. arco arena is a ways off, and by the time the kings get there, this thing could be long gone.

i chose not to delude myself going into this series. i played along, and said the kings would score 4 victories against the spurs, but i think we all have known from the beginning that the kings were not going to advance. we all felt and still feel it in our collective kings fans' gut. HOWEVER, i do not think any of us expected our team to give such a poor showing out of the gate. i know that i am extremely disappointed as a fan. i expected more from my team in the way of effort. this is, of course, not irredeemable. they've got until tuesday to take a long look in the mirror, shake it off, gut check, and play kings basketball the way it has been played since ron artest arrived. that will not guarantee a series victory or even a single win, but i will be proud to be a kings fan if i know they played with the fire that is necessary to compete with the best in the playoffs.

Last edited:
The way to stop Parker is to go UNDER the screens! He won't beat you with his jumper consistently. And you cna at least get a hand in your face. Bibby is defending Parker right now like he would defend himself. Not gonna work. I also blame Artest for letting Ginobli get to the hoop, though it was only a few times.

It is as simple as this:

STOP THE LAYUP DRILL! MY 2 YEAR OLD NEPHEW COULD MAKE A LAYUP WITH THAT DEFENSE. then after that stop the 3 point drill. after that, stop the bench from going off on our starters. Once we do that we will be set. Oh, almost forgot. play a little defense.

R

Rome

By telling our team to rebound so that they don't have to see those deadly wide open threes due to 2nd chance.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
King4Life said:
I was pondering that same set of defensive switches after the loss. Really do not know whether it would work -- that's asking a lot of even Ron. But its a definite thought if we are getting killed again. Hide the weakest defender on their weakest offender. Not sure if we have many other answers -- can say our interior guys have to rotate and shutdown the middle, but they simply can't. It is where we are pathetically weak, and have been so all season. And if we do leave Duncan/Nazr/Horry/whoever to rotate, we get punished on the kick out pass. Nor did it look like there was an answer off the bench -- we tried Kevin and Jason on Parker, both got immediately toasted. Guess you could try Cisco, but he's got no chance on the first move and the only way he could make a difference would be by chasing the play from behind and trying to swat it. Could try Price I suppose, but then that's true desperation.

Scariest part of that game was that the Spurs have Tim Duncan being guarded by a guy half a foot shorter than him, and they didn't even need to go to it to kill us.

Last edited:
I would play wells on tony, artest on manu, and bibby on bruce. If we are still getting murdered by tony that is when i switch wells and artest.

Last edited:
I'd say that whoever guards Parker needs to play off of him a bit. Make him hit that j over you, if you play him close then he can get right past you.

Also, I'm sure people will call me crazy for this but make Tim Duncan go one on one with whoever we have guarding him. When you double him that creates an open shot for one of their shooters like Dude whose name I won't say, Van Exel, Finley, Manu, Bowen, etc. If his foot really is bad then make him go one on one-it will atleast be harder on him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BMiller52 said:
I'd say that whoever guards Parker needs to play off of him a bit. Make him hit that j over you, if you play him close then he can get right past you.

Also, I'm sure people will call me crazy for this but make Tim Duncan go one on one with whoever we have guarding him. When you double him that creates an open shot for one of their shooters like Dude whose name I won't say, Van Exel, Finley, Manu, Bowen, etc. If his foot really is bad then make him go one on one-it will atleast be harder on him.
I'm not sure it's that crazy...

Problem that always is and always will be with backing off of Tony Parker and make him shoot. Is, you back off, you give him space, Tim comes over, sets a pick, now not only are you screened off, but you are a few feet away from him too, leaving tons of space for him to speed up, and he's off to the races. When you back up off him, the bottling effect that is supposed to be created by you and your big man (which hasn't happened) is gone. Think about it, when you are close to him before the pick, the center comes over and cuts off his other side, you're blocking off the other side, and his man setting the pick blocks up the middle, if you're backed off, you leave him a wide open pathway. The Spurs exploited a MASSIVE weakness, the interior. Brad has never been exposed as badly as he was tonight, and neither has Shareef. There was ZERO help... Kenny is simply too small to change any shot trajectory. The bottling effect worked the last game in San Antonio, it just seemed like the big men didn't want to move...

T

thesanityannex

BMiller52 said:
If his foot really is bad then make him go one on one-it will atleast be harder on him.
or.............put Vitaly Potapenko out there on him and have him step on Duncan's foot a few times, slow him down even more.

Duncan seemed like a non-factor out there anyways tonight. The main problem seemed to be damn Frenchy. He is just too quick. The only one who can keep up with him is Price, and we won't be seeing that matchup.

thesanityannex said:
or.............put Vitaly Potapenko out there on him and have him step on Duncan's foot a few times, slow him down even more.

Duncan seemed like a non-factor out there anyways tonight. The main problem seemed to be damn Frenchy. He is just too quick. The only one who can keep up with him is Price, and we won't be seeing that matchup.
Its not that duncan was a non-factor, its more like duncan and Manu weren't trying and let Tony and the bench do all the damage. Thats scary considering how bad they beat us.

This is unorthodox, but if I were Adelman I would tweak the defensive assignments:

Artest on Manu/Finley
Bibby on Bowen
Martin on Parker

My thinking is that Martin is the only Kings player who can come close to matching Parker's quickness. Then you try to hide Bibby on Bowen. Bowen isn't a post up threat, so the size advantage he would have is negated. I'd tell Bibby to just concentrate on running Bowen off of the corner 3-pointer he relies on.

Artest would take on Manu or Finley (they seem to be platooning.)

This would also predecate on cutting down Thomas' and Bonzi's minutes. Thomas has proven he isn't a good matchup against the Spurs; Reef showed during the regular season he plays Duncan better anyway.

Of course this plan is moot if Pop decides to insert his "shooting line" of Brent Barry, Finley and Nick Van Excrement. Gosh, the Spurs remind me of a hockey team; they come at you in waves.

By the way, Pop and the Spurs' should be locked up for trading Malik Rose for Nazr Mohammed last year. What a stupid trade. Nice job Isaiah Thomas.

thesanityannex said:

I got it--Put Price and Potapenko out there and get two birds with one stone... while this is going on get Mike to go sit next to Eva and the plan will be complete (sorry Mrs Bibby).

Ok, now you guys will really think I'm crazy but I have another out of the box idea.

Why don't we try doubling guys like Bowen/Mohammed when they get the ball? I mean they're not exactly offensive threats/juggernauts, but part of the reason a double is good is that it forces them to pass out of the double team. I really doubt Bowen etc. have been doubled a lot in their career, if it worked and they couldn't respond to the ball pressure than we can get some easy points off turnovers(fastbreak).

Starting 5 should be Bibby/Martin/Artest/KT/Miller, and sub in Reef/Wells/Gar.
With Bibby/artest/Wells there is way too much one on one and not 3pts shooting. and Reef and wells should be at least competitive to the Spur's second unit.

I think Martin and Shareef need to play more minutes. Martin is really the Kings' only shot against Parker. He's not going to stop him, but last night he forced Parker into some difficult shots (which Parker, of course, made). Had the back line been awake he might have done a passable job of at least bothering Parker and makings things a little more difficult. Bibby can guard Bowen and keep Artest on Manu/Finley.

Meanwhile, Shareef is the Kings' best help defender on pick and rolls, and he can use his quickness to step out and stop penetration. He's not going to block any shots, but he's much better than KT and Brad at helping and stopping the layup drill. He's also the Kings' best defender on Duncan.

I also feel like the Kings should substitute based on what the Spurs are doing, which is kind of a Don Nelson desperation move, but it's a recognition that the Spurs are the superior team and will set the tone. When Parker is on the bench Bibby has to be on the floor. When Duncan is on the bench I'd go small with Artest at the 4, and use a Bibby/Martin/Wells/Artest/Miller lineup.

Whatever the game plan its goal has to be just giving the Kings a shot at winning, because they're clearly overmatched.

Quite simple really - REBOUND and BETTER SHOT SELECTION.

Excluding Game 1, Bibby generally plays well against Parker. They tend to cancel each other out, which is good if the rest of the team steps up. Overall, we just looked - yucky. IT WILL BE BETTER ON TUESDAY!

Here are some things I would try to do:

1. I would leave Bibby on Parker. I don't remember if he did in game 1, and I don't have TiVo, but Bibby has to go under every single screen for Parker. I'm sure there is less chance that his 20 foot jumpshot will go in than a lay-up against our front court. I would tell anyone on the Kings roster to just backoff Parker and make sure that he doesn't blow by you and let him shoot a jumpshot. I don't care if it goes in, because it won't every time.

2. With SAR at the 4, I would play Sampson at the 5 simply because of his intimidation/blocking shots in the paint. I'm also sure he would grab more rebounds than Miller could. He could just try to get some offensive rebounds and easy lay-ups/dunks on the offensive end.

3. NO UNCONTESTED LAY-UPS!!!!!!

Goo said:
Starting 5 should be Bibby/Martin/Artest/KT/Miller, and sub in Reef/Wells/Gar.
With Bibby/artest/Wells there is way too much one on one and not 3pts shooting. and Reef and wells should be at least competitive to the Spur's second unit.
Actually, I think this is great because you can have Bonzi guard Finley/Van Exel off the bench while Ron would take care of Manu and periodically Tony. You can stick Kevin on Bruce and I think the matchups defensively would be much better.

Now it would just be up to Mike and Brad to do their share and we might have a chance.

You start Martin and that means Paker can match up with him on defense and Bowen can play Bibby, that's what the Spurs did in game one when Martin and Bibby were on the floor together. Do you really want Bowen covering Bibby?

Great discussion so far guys. Looking back at my own post and what everyone else has to say, there's quite a few of us who agree on putting Bibby on Bowen. In game 1, Popovich had Bowen guarding Bibby at times, so I feel we should respond and have Bibby guarding Bowen and Artest guarding Parker. Parker is the scorer and the passer for the Spurs, so shutting him down is most important going by Game 1. Parker may slow down if someone is very physicial with him whereas Ginobili doesn't care who's guarding him or if there's a brickwall in front of the basket. That's why I think it's better to try Artest on Parker.

Much like some others have stated, we could try using Martin as a starter and put Bonzi on the bench. I think our ball movement will be better to start off the game and our bench will be more effective with Bonzi there.

This would create the following match-ups defensively ..

Bibby on Bowen
Artest on Parker
Martin on Manu
KT/Shareef on Duncan
Miller on Mohammed

As I mentioned earlier, the Spurs bench has better shooters, but our bench (Garcia, Bonzi or Martin, Shareef) is more athletic. I hope Adelman can somehow use that to our advantage.

PejaHoops16 said:
Here are some things I would try to do:

1. I would leave Bibby on Parker. I don't remember if he did in game 1, and I don't have TiVo, but Bibby has to go under every single screen for Parker. I'm sure there is less chance that his 20 foot jumpshot will go in than a lay-up against our front court. I would tell anyone on the Kings roster to just backoff Parker and make sure that he doesn't blow by you and let him shoot a jumpshot. I don't care if it goes in, because it won't every time.

2. With SAR at the 4, I would play Sampson at the 5 simply because of his intimidation/blocking shots in the paint. I'm also sure he would grab more rebounds than Miller could. He could just try to get some offensive rebounds and easy lay-ups/dunks on the offensive end.

3. NO UNCONTESTED LAY-UPS!!!!!!
This is what I have been saying since the game started yesterday. Cept Sampson is out on a limb. Parker shoots 56% from the field. Meaning the paint, where he spends most of his time. he shoots a dismal 42% from outside the key.

I posted this about a week ago:

Subject: My Keys to the Spurs/Kings Series

kingkung said:
Note that these are MY KEYS to the series (assuming we play them), and not that of popular opinion. From what I know about the San Antonio Spurs, these are my predictions for what's going to happen in the series:

1. As weird as it sounds, the SPURS are going to want to RUN THE BALL, and the KINGS are going to want to PLAY HALF COURT. With the speedy combo of Parker and Ginobili (and the relatively slow-footed Bibby), the Spurs are going to run the transition as much as possible. Not much we can do here, except have Bibby and Bonzi stay back to keep these guys in check. The best counter is obviously for the Kings not to take impulsive shots. That is, make sure we have some people under the basket before taking a jump shot.
Boy, did they kill us on the break.

kingkung said:
2. Keep Tony Parker out of the paint. Tony Parker and the Spurs thrive on him penetrating into the paint for a good look, or a hand-off to Duncan for an easy bucket. Bibby's going to have to play the defense of his life to keep Parker from getting inside. Our OG (who will be guarding Bowen), should keep a keen eye on Parker, so that if Parker does get inside, he'll be instantly there to help out.
LOL... Let's just say Parker fared pretty well.

kingkung said:
3. Keep the ball out of Duncan's hands. Duh. But seriously, we may have to take some risks on defense every once in a while to make it as hard as possible for the Spurs to get the ball to their star. Because once it's in his hands, it's very, very hard to prevent a score.
Duncan played decent at best, but it didn't matter.

kingkung said:
4. Dictate the tempo on every possession (aka don't play into the Spurs' hands). If there's one knock on the Spurs, it's that they're not killer enough to fully dominate control of a game. Unlike, oh, say, the 2002 Lakers, the Spurs rely less on pure willpower, and more on their talent and versatility. So the more we play our game, the more comfortable we will be. We've had a better time with this since Artest came on board.
Dictate the tempo? Ha.

kingkung said:
5. Play KINGS BASKETBALL. By this, I mean our trademark passing NEEDS to come into play if we're going to up against a team so good defensively as the Spurs. Like our old teams, our offensive firepower is still our huge strength. We have a PG that can drive and shoot a killer jumper. We have a small forward that can play the low post like a power forward, and we have a center that can shoot threes. I love Artest, but over the past few weeks, Artest has undeniably been dominating the ball, particularly in the 4th quarter, and that can't happen against the Spurs. We have to revert back to our old offense (while playing our new defense). Passing. Pick and rolls. Solid, smart plays.
We did have a decent amount of open looks, but they just weren't falling. We need to attack, attack, attack to have any chance at this series, especially if our shots aren't falling.

Last edited: