Start of College Basketball season:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
My top 2 guys going against eachother! Hopefully we see them more on one another as the game progresses.
I'm not a fan of Allen's, and my only reservation with Levert are his injuries. He's been injured for the last two seasons. For that reason he's a scary pick. Murray is a willing, but poor defender. That leaves us with Hart and Hield. Naturally, if I have to choose between them right now, it's an easy choice. I'd take Hield ten times out of ten. I think Hield is a better athlete, better ball handler, overall better shooter, and equally good defender. That said, I like Hart, and if we had a second round pick he'd be someone that I'd take to develop.

Bear in mind, these are just personal likes and dislikes and they have little or no bearing on where I think some of them may go in the draft. I happen to like Brice Johnson more right now than Marquese Chriss, but I have no doubt the Chriss will be drafted higher than Johnson because of being younger, and potentially having more upside. I think Robert Carter is the best player on the Maryland team, but have no doubt that Diamond Stone, Melo Trimble and Jack Layman will be drafted higher than him. Although I think Layman is very underrated. I think that if anyone can get A.J. Hammon's head on straight, he can be a starting center in the NBA. He's certainly talented enough. But right now, he's a second round pick.

If my two top picks (Hield and Dunn) are taken when we pick, then I think I have to take Jakob Poeltl. He's a very very talented 7 foot center that plays great defense. We don't need him, but if we can't get the player we need at seven, then I think he's the most talented player left there. Of course I say that without know who might slide down to us. If we were to draft him, then that makes Koufos expendable. Just musing on a sunday afternoon.

I'm tentatively sold on Buddy, would love to see him get to us. Almost glad Oklahoma got destroyed so his stock doesn't organically raise on its own. I would hope we trade down if we don't land a player we need. It looks like there's some cool project players this year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm tentatively sold on Buddy, would love to see him get to us. Almost glad Oklahoma got destroyed so his stock doesn't organically raise on its own. I would hope we trade down if we don't land a player we need. It looks like there's some cool project players this year.
I don't mind trading down as long as we don't pass on someone that could be great. One player that could slide is Jamal Brown. He would be hard to pass on if Hield or Dunn isn't there. He's raw in a lot of areas, but his potential is off the charts. I know some will try and compare him to McLemore, who hasn't lived up to expectations, but the thing holding McLemore back is his lack of BBIQ and lack of feel for the game. He's gotten good at honing his craft, but hasn't yet figured out how to use all the tools he has. Too often, he drives to the basket when he should pull up and shoot. He tries to make passes that aren't there. I could go on endlessly. The point is, Brown doesn't suffer from those ailments. I'd rather have Dunn or Hield, but Brown would be a nice consolation prize.

Can't help but feel like Brown has very suspect bball IQ and feel for the game. BPA should always be at play, but I'm hesitant to draft any guys with lack of feel for the game in the top 10. Kings have already proven that they don't have the personnel to develop players, so it would be a tougher challenge trying to help a player increase their bball IQ.

K

KingMilz

I don't mind trading down as long as we don't pass on someone that could be great. One player that could slide is Jamal Brown. He would be hard to pass on if Hield or Dunn isn't there. He's raw in a lot of areas, but his potential is off the charts. I know some will try and compare him to McLemore, who hasn't lived up to expectations, but the thing holding McLemore back is his lack of BBIQ and lack of feel for the game. He's gotten good at honing his craft, but hasn't yet figured out how to use all the tools he has. Too often, he drives to the basket when he should pull up and shoot. He tries to make passes that aren't there. I could go on endlessly. The point is, Brown doesn't suffer from those ailments. I'd rather have Dunn or Hield, but Brown would be a nice consolation prize.
I actually don't think that's held him back that much (it has to a degree) it's a unwillingness to throw himself into the game for example Aminu for the Blazers is not really a high IQ guy but he's always willing to mix it up even James Anderson lately for the Mavs has really low IQ but he' busts his backside every play and as a rookie is making a impact on the Mavs playoff push. It holds a guy back from being a superstar imo but there's plenty of low IQ type guys that can thrive as role players e.g Marcus Smart if they are willing to compete. Ben very rarely ever exerts himself and uses his crazy athletic ability to make anything occur.

If the guy your talking about (never watched) has potential and competes than it might be worth the risk if the other two fella's are gone.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I actually don't think that's held him back that much (it has to a degree) it's a unwillingness to throw himself into the game for example Aminu for the Blazers is not really a high IQ guy but he's always willing to mix it up even James Anderson lately for the Mavs has really low IQ but he' busts his backside every play and as a rookie is making a impact on the Mavs playoff push. It holds a guy back from being a superstar imo but there's plenty of low IQ type guys that can thrive as role players e.g Marcus Smart if they are willing to compete. Ben very rarely ever exerts himself and uses his crazy athletic ability to make anything occur.

If the guy your talking about (never watched) has potential and competes than it might be worth the risk if the other two fella's are gone.
We could probably hold a conference to discuss BBIQ and all the factors related to it. It's sort of what comes first, the chicken or the egg. Does he do what he does because of the lack of BBIQ, or does he appear to lack BBIQ because he lacks aggression? Or both? Truth is, every player is different, with a different skill level, different personality, and different feel for the game. So it's not one sizc fits all. In McLemore's case, my main problem with him at Kansas was his lack of aggression. He would disappear in games. So the question was, why? Was he afraid to assert himself? Did he lack confidence? Did he lack the experience and BBIQ to know how?

In Ben's case, I think it was a combination of all of the above. Which history proves can be a fatal combination.. Ben is like a player that has a full tool box and he knows how to use each and every one of those tools. His problem is, he doesn't know which tool to pull out of the box at the right time. I'm not sure how you correct that, and history has proved that in some if not many cases, it can be corrected. That's why you see late bloomers. They were always there, it just took them a lot more time than normal to figure everything out. Problem is, for some players the light never goes on.

Which brings us to the important question. Do you keep riding the horse, or do you switch horses. I can't speak for the Kings, but if the mentality is to win sooner than later, then I think the Kings should look in a different direction. Ben has had more of a legitimate shot than most rookies normally get. In retrospect, maybe in his case that was a bad thing. The verdict was handed in before the trial. He was handed the job before proving he deserved it. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference. Maybe the result would have been the same. Doesn't matter at this point. Right now, Ben still has some value, and I think its time to cash in the chips and walk away.

Can't help but feel like we're in an awful draft position. Looks like we're too low to grab one of the great guards and too high to take a flyer on a project. Perhaps the gods will smile on us for once as Philly gets the #1 overall and we get the #2 :p

There are always choices. There's a lot of uncertainty after second pick this year: always go for best combination of physical tools, work ethic/skill development, competitiveness/intensity, current skills/age/time spent on basketball up to this point.
So if Kings don't trade the pick, they should look at someone like Chriss/Luwawu (maybe Skal, but his production was so measly this year and he's already 20).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There are always choices. There's a lot of uncertainty after second pick this year: always go for best combination of physical tools, work ethic/skill development, competitiveness/intensity, current skills/age/time spent on basketball up to this point.
So if Kings don't trade the pick, they should look at someone like Chriss/Luwawu (maybe Skal, but his production was so measly this year and he's already 20).
If we get lucky in the tie breaker and end up 8th, we could always go for a big man like Poeltl. Not necessarily a need for us, but he looks like he could eventually be starting material down the road. I like Ellenson, but he's a year or two away from being ready to contribute, and I don't see much of a defensive future for him. I'd rather take a flyer on Chriss than Ellenson, even if he is more raw.. Valentine could go anywhere from 7 to 12 in my opinion. He'll never be much of a defender, but he can shoot, has terrific court vision and is a terrific passer.