something i noticed watching the game

S

SaCKiNgS24

i think our bench is a lil bit deeper now. we got alot of talent on the bench and wait til peja and bobby come back. i know its only been one game and i miss cwebb but i think we will be fine.

Yes, Our bench will DEFINATELY have depth once Peja and Bobby are back. And it will hopefully help me cope with the whole trade better, but seeing those 2 tonight not-dressed and ready to play makes you realize what we are playing with, and that our team would be INCREDIBLE at full health.
Every year its injuries. I wish, just for once, we could go one season with everyone feeling great, how incredible everything would be, bench, offense, (defense now),...

Bricklayer said:
1) Corliss
2) Thomas
Thomas will start over Darius? Are you sure? I mean Thomas did way better than Darius tonight, but last game Darius was a stud out there. I think we should give it more time. (I like how I talk as if I'm in control of who starts and who doesn't for some reason...)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gregorius said:
Thomas will start over Darius? Are you sure? I mean Thomas did way better than Darius tonight, but last game Darius was a stud out there. I think we should give it more time. (I like how I talk as if I'm in control of who starts and who doesn't for some reason...)
Just a prediction -- Thomas has been a starter in the league for years now, and is the better rebounder. Still predicting a possible platoon though.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Thomas made a good case for him self tonight but I expect Darius will still get plenty of PT and I am not sure Adelman will feel compelled to stick sick with Thomas in the 4th on bad nights as he ahs Webber. Skinner and Tag can look for more PT as well since in most line ups it would be nuts to try and paly either of them at center with Brad out.

Gregorius said:
Let's not ignore the fact that Darius was a stud against a super small ball Mavs lineup. Tonight he didn't do much against a more traditional PF.

And depth may be a key. Don't forget the Pistons won with depth, not one or two stars.

Look to Europe and see why the 'Dream Team' got its clock cleaned last time.

Fundamentals, depth, teamwork.

Richard G.W.E. Adelman is going to have a ball substituting these new forwards into the Kings' line-up. Yes, I implied that Adelman will actually play these guys. He now has a bench full of relatively tough hustlers that will fight for rebounds, block shots, and bang people around.

Peja "The Shootist" Stojakovic will see the ball a lot more with Chris out of the pattern. Bibby is a good point guard, and a key to the Kings success with the new guys. Without Doug, it will be largely up to Bibby to make this new team function. Hopefully, Brad will become the "New Vlade". If the Kings move the ball around and find open shooters, hopefully Peja once in a while, this will have a very successful closing season.

It aint over till the last tone-deaf hip-hop artist screeches-out the National Anthem this Spring.

Bricklayer

Kings-Lakers-Fan said:
Speaking of depth, are we as deep as we were back in the good old days of Hedo, Divac, Christie, (a healthy) Bobby, Pollard, Jimmy Jackson, Keon etc.?
Certainly not as deep as the Keon/JJ year -- that year was ridiculous and probably one of the depest teams the NBA has seen since the old Adelman Blazers and Bad Boy Pistons.

Maybe as deep as the '02 year when we had three main benchers, Bobby, Hedo, Pollard, (or at least will be if Bobby can return as himself) but of course the difference is that the starters aren't as strong.

Bricklayer

troosvelt said:
And depth may be a key. Don't forget the Pistons won with depth, not one or two stars.

Look to Europe and see why the 'Dream Team' got its clock cleaned last time.

Fundamentals, depth, teamwork.
Dream Team dynamics are not applicable. The Hornets could probably beat the Dream Teams just by playing as a team. We aren't facing disjointed teams like the Dream Team to get an NBA title, we are facing veteran experienced TEAMS with superstar centerpieces, good complimentary players and role players in support.

BTW, the Pistons did NOT win with depth. Was I the only guy watching those Finals? Larry Bronw only played 5 guys (his starters) for the entire series. People get on adelman, but it was the shortest rotation I have ever seen. Just play all the starters all the minutes, and be more organized than your opponents.

I don't ever remember Pollard as a great bench player. He was simply available. I remember a lot of fouls and missed 12-inch lay-ups. I think our new bench is as good as any Sacramento-era Kings bench.

I am guessing that when the team is healthy, the Kings will start with:

Bibby, Mobley, Stojakovic, Thomas, and Miller.

I think the bench will consist of Jackson, Evans, Williamson, Songaila, Ostertag, Martin, and House.

We have NEVER had a bench like that.

Even in the good old days, the Kings would often break into chaos when the starters were out. That will not happen with these guys.

troosvelt Look to Europe and see why the 'Dream Team' got its clock cleaned last time. Fundamentals said:
The last couple years the US didn't send a dream team. A dream team would have the likes of kobe/t-mac/kg/duncan/kidd/malone/webber/bibby/brand/o'neal/lebron etc. not the NBA junk that the USA is sending. But even if they did get a true dream team the European teams would still whoop them due fundamentals, depth and teamwork like you said.

Bricklayer

quick dog said:
I don't ever remember Pollard as a great bench player. He was simply available. I remember a lot of fouls and missed 12-inch lay-ups. I think our new bench is as good as any Sacramento-era Kings bench.

I am guessing that when the team is healthy, the Kings will start with:

Bibby, Mobley, Stojakovic, Thomas, and Miller.

I think the bench will consist of Jackson, Evans, Williamson, Songaila, Ostertag, Martin, and House.

We have NEVER had a bench like that.

Even in the good old days, the Kings would often break into chaos when the starters were out. That will not happen with these guys.
Pollard was a GREAT bench big men there for a few years -- big rebounder, hustler, defensive player. Perfect fit for what we needed.

In any case, the above list does not remotely compare to our '03 bench which was so silly we had Damon Jones, a starting PG now for the Heat, as a 12th man. Gerald Wallace, starting now in Charlotte, as an 11th man, and Pollard, Keon Clark, Jim Jackson, Hedo and Bobby, all except for Pollard guys who have been starters, as #s 6-10.

Bricklayer said:
Pollard was a GREAT bench big men there for a few years -- big rebounder, hustler, defensive player. Perfect fit for what we needed.

In any case, the above list does not remotely compare to our '03 bench which was so silly we had Damon Jones, a starting PG now for the Heat, as a 12th man. Gerald Wallace, starting now in Charlotte, as an 11th man, and Pollard, Keon Clark, Jim Jackson, Hedo and Bobby, all except for Pollard guys who have been starters, as #s 6-10.
Not.

Bricklayer said:
Add that to our main starters: Pedja, Divac, Webber, Doug, Bibby
So why didn't we win the title that year? lol ;) I guess skill isn't everything, its also hustle and heart

Bricklayer

Kings-Lakers-Fan said:
The last couple years the US didn't send a dream team. A dream team would have the likes of kobe/t-mac/kg/duncan/kidd/malone/webber/bibby/brand/o'neal/lebron etc. not the NBA junk that the USA is sending. But even if they did get a true dream team the European teams would still whoop them due fundamentals, depth and teamwork like you said.
The Dream Tema appraoch is flawed, because they aren;t teams at all.

But as mentioned, that's not waht we would have to overcome. We would have to overcome the Spurs, a GREAT team, with a great star at what is now our weakest position, and a great defensive player who routinely shuts down the guy we are now counting on to somehow carry us. Odds = Slim. Wait'll you see what happens when 7'0" Tim Duncan posts up 6'7" (maybe) Kenny Thomas. :eek:

But that's ok. We weren't trying to win this year, so not doing so is not really a failure. The future will tell.

Bricklayer said:
and a great defensive player who routinely shuts down the guy we are now counting on to somehow carry us.
You keep saying this but I do not agree. The Pedja we have seen will never be the man, but the Bibby we have seen can be. I think the man we are counting on to carry this team is Mike.

Spurs are a great team; we could easily be a team like that, the only thing i think we are missing from this whole comparision is a leader and defence. Altough Geoff Petri is a great general manger, his drafts are sub-par. The spurs have a great drafting team, their last selections were really good payouts from the get go, Ginobli, Parker etc. If we had managment like that, we could easily be like the spurs.

Bricklayer said:
The Dream Tema appraoch is flawed, because they aren;t teams at all.

But as mentioned, that's not waht we would have to overcome. We would have to overcome the Spurs, a GREAT team, with a great star at what is now our weakest position, and a great defensive player who routinely shuts down the guy we are now counting on to somehow carry us. Odds = Slim. Wait'll you see what happens when 7'0" Tim Duncan posts up 6'7" (maybe) Kenny Thomas. :eek:

But that's ok. We weren't trying to win this year, so not doing so is not really a failure. The future will tell.
Tim duncan is about 6'11 not quite dirk or kevin garnett 7'0 FT Timmy is about 6'11.He has the height advantage but their lower body's are about equal kenny has a pretty strong lower base.He will have length and height but I don't think he will be able to back him down with alot of eaze like everyone may think so.Tim used quickness and finese against webber and miller.He will need to use his height with thomas but it will be an interesting matchup if the two TEAMS MEET in the post season.

Kings-Lakers-Fan said:
Spurs are a great team; we could easily be a team like that, the only thing i think we are missing from this whole comparision is a leader and defence. Altough Geoff Petri is a great general manger, his drafts are sub-par. The spurs have a great drafting team, their last selections were really good payouts from the get go, Ginobli, Parker etc. If we had managment like that, we could easily be like the spurs.
What?

The Spurs have Tim Duncan. Nothing else need be said.

quick dog said:
What?

The Spurs have Tim Duncan. Nothing else need be said.
I was about to say, the biggest difference between the Spurs and the Kings is that Stern rigged the draft lottery...err...I mean they got lucky and recieved the 1st overall pick after a down year in 97.

Bricklayer

PixelPusher said:
I was about to say, the biggest difference between the Spurs and the Kings is that Stern rigged the draft lottery...err...I mean they got lucky and recieved the 1st overall pick after a down year in 97.
Oh, I don;t think the NBA did the rigging, but I remain deeply suspicious about how a 50 win team suddenly tanks so hard that it "earns" the top pick in the draft, injuries or no injuries (in other words if anyone did any rigging that year it was Pop).

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Heuge said:
You keep saying this but I do not agree. The Pedja we have seen will never be the man, but the Bibby we have seen can be. I think the man we are counting on to carry this team is Mike.
I think it may end up being that way, but I'm not at all sure that is what the plan was in some circles when Webber was moved.

Be actually interesting to see what would happen with Peja if a second King stepped in front of him as "the man" on the team. Same thing? I dunno, but a worrisome possibility.

But in any case, regardless if Bibby is the man or Peja is, the fact of the matter is that if Peja suddenly evaporates again against the Spurs we have no realistic chance. We may not have a realistic chance anyway as messed up as we are now, but if Peja is 6-17 for 17pts every night in that series (should it happen) we have no hope at all.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:

Truth is though that none of those guys were the same players they are now. They were young and inexperienced. We are now deep with exp. players. Something I think will be crucial come the home run stretch.