Some Bagley love..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A prior GM managing an asset poorly is no justification for continuing to manage that asset poorly. I understand that a lot of Kings fans just want to "cut bait and move on" because Marvin Bagley is not Luka Doncic, but at $7 million and 22 years of age, Bagley would have some utility as an offensive spark off the bench with a ceiling that remains unknown. You're not going to find a young big on the free agent market that you can comparably invest in that will bring utility to your bench with upside to burn. Hell, Tristan Thompson is making about $9 million a year just to be a veteran leader who is mildly competent on the defensive end.
If Marvin has not one single skill that the team can hang their hat on, as you stated in a previous post, then what use is he?

He either has no value and the team should walk away. Or he has tremendous upside and the team should do everything they can to maximize it.

If Marvin can't do enough to keep his QO at $14 mil, or the team is unwilling to let that play out, it's in everyone's best interest to start over.

Last edited:
Except for the whole “What has Bagley done to earn those starts and minutes” argument that is extremely valid in this case.

He’s a terrible pair next to the long-term freshly signed starter. Why should he start? It isn’t blatant MLB level screwing with guys’ service time to save money stuff here.
I’m not saying that there aren’t basketball reasons for him not to start. I’m just saying you shouldn’t make it about anything other than the basketball reasons!

May be true. If Marvin is not part of the plan with this team, he's not worth the $7 mil either.
But that is my point, Bagley IS worth 7-10 Mil, not 14 Mil
As a Bench PF, he can score points, shoot occasional three, With Mitchell, TD, TT, Len we have bench players that can cover for Marvin's poor defense while he can feast against opposing PF from other teams bench.

He is not a starter quality, then we should start him just so he can get a 14 Mil QO, so we look good to other FA? Sorry NO

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m not saying that there aren’t basketball reasons for him not to start. I’m just saying you shouldn’t make it about anything other than the basketball reasons!
Oh yeah, that’s fair. If he’s playing consistent minutes all year long and is on track to beat the minutes required, then suddenly gets 4 / 5 “rest” days to close the year that’s a whole different ball of yarn.

Oh wow. That’s huge.
And potentially a dangerous scenario for keeping a locker room environment positive. I noticed last year they held Buddy out some games, or he was hurt, or minutes reduced yet he did end up playing in some games that didn't matter anymore. It was very interesting when you consider some of his contract incentives. I think he only ended hitting one but that cost Vivek some coin.

2000 minutes is averaging 24.39 min per game for 82 games. Anyone think he will come close?
Shouldn’t be an issue if he was a top 7 rotation player. I dont think he’ll be a top 7 rotation player though. Didn’t see anything in the pre-season to think he made a jump. Body looks the same, game looks the same, the light bulb hasn’t come on, on either side of the ball.

i do think this will be his first full season barring a freak injury. Or, let’s say, he misses less than 10 games. Contract year motivation.

Shouldn’t be an issue if he was a top 7 rotation player. I dont think he’ll be a top 7 rotation player though. Didn’t see anything in the pre-season to think he made a jump. Body looks the same, game looks the same, the light bulb hasn’t come on, on either side of the ball.

i do think this will be his first full season barring a freak injury. Or, let’s say, he misses less than 10 games. Contract year motivation.
If anything the preseason showed it's going to be hard not to justify playing those guard lineups and not giving his minutes to any and potentially all 3 of Holmes, Len, and TT. This is going to get ugly. Possible both in the backcourt AND the frontcourt.

Bagley really hasn’t stayed healthy enough, played enough, or improved enough to command 14 million a year. Do I think he is a terrible big man? Of course not. He’s a good offensive big man with good rebounding skills, but lacks significantly on the defensive side. He’s certainly young enough to improve further, but there are legitimate health concerns with him. At the end of the day it’s like any other job. You have to earn your raise. Would you get a raise if you missed half of your working days?

The Kings deciding to not let him walk is a good business decision. Why would they let him walk for nothing? Just because we don’t need what he’s good at doesn’t mean no one else does. There is nothing disrespectful going on here. Just business decisions on a talented offensive big man who is extremely injury prone.

If anything the preseason showed it's going to be hard not to justify playing those guard lineups and not giving his minutes to any and potentially all 3 of Holmes, Len, and TT. This is going to get ugly. Possible both in the backcourt AND the frontcourt.
Hindsight, the Len and Thompson signings were the Kings moving on from Bags as a core player.

If it's a business move trying to ensure a player doesn't make an extra $7 mil. by sitting him or other means, then the team is creating the toxic culture.
I don’t think we’ll be doing anything like that. If he doesn’t play a certain amount of minutes, the proof will be in the pudding, i imagine, as it’s been since he’s gotten here. I’m rooting for him harder than ever because i would honestly feel bad for him and us if it goes the negative way again. We shall see!

I do feel bad that he seemed to be putting in the work, but if he had knee soreness and given how fragile he has been WTF are they to do. He tanked his value so if he wants out just keep your chin up and say/do the right things. This agent statement is not the right thing.

Kings fans can laugh and joke about this. But this is what the non Kings fans see. Bad PR.

I expect the smear campaign against Marvin by the team to be coming soon.
2000 minutes is roughly 23-24 minutes per night. So even without the starter thing, he just has to basically be an above average role player and stay healthy to qualify for the bigger QO.

Kings fans can laugh and joke about this. But this is what the non Kings fans see. Bad PR.

I expect the smear campaign against Marvin by the team to be coming soon.
Honestly, I would be really surprised to see that. I know there are some on this board that feel like Marvin hasn't gotten the playing time he's needed to progress, but I think the overwhelming sentiment nationally is Marvin is a bust who can't stay on the floor. His agent's antics don't require the team to do anything as I think most would think they are pretty pathetic.

It didn't say permanently, it said opening night. And he had knee soreness. So ? he can get that 2k minutes with work no problem. *

* ok, maybe a problem for him, given what we've seen over 3 years.
Unless he didn't actually have sore knees. I normally would not question a player's injury; however, there was generally something odd with the way he wasn't played in the last pre-season game.

Status
Not open for further replies.