So What FA do you give the max to match our new #2 Pick

So lets assume Garrett Temple does the kings a favor and opts out of his contract for 8 mil
Maybe hire as a coach?

and we then end up with 24 mil in cap space

Lets also assume we get Either Ayton or Luka at #2 (Depending on Suns)

Who do you go after to Match up with our #2 on July 1

For me? If Luca - go after Clint capela (Suns will already have Ayton)

If Ayton - Max out offer sheets to Jabari Parker, then Gordon, then try to trade Zbo,/WCS for Otto Porter

So lets assume Garrett Temple does the kings a favor and opts out of his contract for 8 mil
I doubt Temple opts out now. The Kings are on an upswing and he is not going to get more than 8 mil a year with most of the teams capped out.

If we get Doncic, i think we should save the cap space and take on a bad contract (but not too bad ;)) for a first round draft pick in 2019.

If we get Doncic, we will be two deep at all the positions, I say let the Kids and our vets gel and grow and make a run for the playoffs next year. ;)

Last edited:
Maybe hire as a coach?

and we then end up with 24 mil in cap space

Lets also assume we get Either Ayton or Luka at #2 (Depending on Suns)

Who do you go after to Match up with our #2 on July 1

For me? If Luca - go after Clint capela (Suns will already have Ayton)

If Ayton - Max out offer sheets to Jabari Parker, then Gordon, then try to trade Zbo,/WCS for Otto Porter
Right now, assuming Vince Carter doesn't return and Temple and Shumpert don't opt out the Kings will have nearly $19 million in cap space after signing their #2 pick and their 2nd round pick. If they don't keep the #36 pick or don't sign whoever they draft there, that's an extra $1 million or so.

I don't see Temple opting out, and I'm not all that sure I want him to. If VC doesn't return I like him as a veteran mentor and versatile backup who defends well. The guy I wish would opt out is Shumpert but he has $11 million reasons not to.

This year I would just patch holes with one year deals - VC at SF, a deep bench big etc to open up massive cap space for next offseason.

Last edited:
Personally I'd be looking for any first round deals to see if a team wants to trade cap space for their pick. There are some interesting players slated to go in the teens that could be very valuable.

They never do anything worth a damn with their free agent money anyway so why not roll the dice on more young assets instead of getting stuck with bottom of the barrel free agents that clog up the cap space?

Right now, assuming Vince Carter doesn't return and Temple and Shumpert don't opt out the Kings will have nearly $19 million in cap space after signing their #2 pick and their 2nd round pick. If they don't keep that pick or player that's an extra $1 million or so.

I don't see Temple opting out, and I'm not all that sure I want him to. If VC doesn't return I like him as a veteran mentor and versatile backup who defends well. The guy I wish would opt out is Shumpert but he has $11 million reasons not to.

This year I would just patch holes with one year deals - VC at SF, a deep bench big etc to open up massive cap space for next offseason.
This is what I was thinking too. I like Otto Porter if he can be had on a good trade deal, but that, of course, would not be a contract to sign (just a trade).

I think patience is going to be key. We have some nice young players. Let's see what they can do together, let them grow together, and maybe re-visit signings next year. Jabari Parker, Capela, Aaron Gordon are all nice potential targets, but I don't think there should be any rush into this.

Personally I'd be looking for any first round deals to see if a team wants to trade cap space for their pick. There are some interesting players slated to go in the teens that could be very valuable.

They never do anything worth a damn with their free agent money anyway so why not roll the dice on more young assets instead of getting stuck with bottom of the barrel free agents that clog up the cap space?
Portland is still cash strapped. #24 is a bit later pick than I'd want but the Kings could probably have their pick in exchange for letting them dump salary - maybe Meyers Leonard?

The Kings 2nd rounder might be a good spot for a draft and stash player. It'd take some of the sting out of not having a 2019 pick. Bongo, Kurucs, and Okobo will all probably be there. Maybe Musa though he is a likely first rounder at this point.

This is what I was thinking too. I like Otto Porter if he can be had on a good trade deal, but that, of course, would not be a contract to sign (just a trade).

I think patience is going to be key. We have some nice young players. Let's see what they can do together, let them grow together, and maybe re-visit signings next year. Jabari Parker, Capela, Aaron Gordon are all nice potential targets, but I don't think there should be any rush into this.
Only guy that is maybe, maybe, worth max is Aaron Gordon. Capela is NOT a max player. Whoever pays that guy max will look like an idiot once he is away from a Paul/Harden to spoon feed him buckets.

Jabari Parker dor Max?! No way! Dude cant stay healthy and is a atrocious defender and rebounder.

Bejica from the Wolves is a guy id target. Perfect for todays game. Those guys are very valuable.
Hezonja for a 2 to 3 year deal with team option for final year at reasonable price is also good.
Outside that, use that cap space to absorb someone elses mistake and get a pick this year or next

Portland is still cash strapped. #24 is a bit later pick than I'd want but the Kings could probably have their pick in exchange for letting them dump salary - maybe Meyers Leonard?

The Kings 2nd rounder might be a good spot for a draft and stash player. It'd take some of the sting out of not having a 2019 pick. Bongo, Kurucs, and Okobo will all probably be there. Maybe Musa though he is a likely first rounder at this point.
Would be right in line for Keita Bates Diop too. I'd be willing to listen to any salary dump trade talks. Could even be for a 2019 pick to help soften the blow.

I don't want Leonard either. Harkless would be my pick but I don't think the Blazers go for that. Turner has an even worse contract and is a worse fit. At least Leonard spaces the floor.

Taking on junk salaries isn't for the weak of heart. Or stomach.
I just don't see the value for a #24 pick. Something in the 7-10 range ok, let's do it.

Otherwise we have a lot of expirings we can move either for an established player (Porter?) or at the deadline for a pick and a fringe player.

Only guy that is maybe, maybe, worth max is Aaron Gordon. Capela is NOT a max player. Whoever pays that guy max will look like an idiot once he is away from a Paul/Harden to spoon feed him buckets.

Jabari Parker dor Max?! No way! Dude cant stay healthy and is a atrocious defender and rebounder.
Oh yeah. I agree with you. I wouldn't offer a max.

Edit: I guess the original question was who would you offer a max to. So I wouldn't offer a max, like you said, probably to anyone except maybe Aaron Gordon. But I would still consider the others FA targets, just not max ones.

I guess I would say who would you offer a large portion of our cap space to make two impact players this off season of course will depend on which draft players we get. I seem to get all sorts of different numbers for what Clint Capela may require, all these articles about Suns wanting to offer a Max or near-max offer doesnt seem to get me any kind of number. Saw one article that Rockets might try to offer 3 yr 42 mil? Seems I read that a max offer could be 25% of the team cap? So that is a big difference between 14mil /yr and $25Mil/yr. Would I want Kings to offer 25mil per yr- Hell no. If we could offer 18Mil for 4 yrs - maybe, would it be enough to get him from the rockets, depends on the playoffs I guess.

Capela is fools gold folks. We did this once before and his name was Mikki Moore. He has two of the greatest passers in the game next to him, it makes him look a lot better than he is.

Back to the original topic, if we get Ayton I would try to get Aaron Gordon to Sac via free agency. He's not "the" star but he's a damn good player and could be a number 2 or 3 option easily. It probably will require a max contract though, so there's that. If we get Dončić, I am inclined to see how Willie does with him, as he would benefit quite a bit from a player like that. I do think we need a better big man though so maybe explore options at the trade deadline. Willie is just too anemic when it comes to rebounding and isn't a reliable scorer unless being spoon fed.

Unless Giles surprises us all and we don't end up needing anyone else. That would be nice wouldn't it?

Assuming we get Donic and go after a big FA, I'd have most interest in Gordan.
Randle might bring the most toughness to the team but feeds from our elite passers to a hyper athletic Gordan would be fun to watch.
I too am most interested in what Giles will bring. If he is suited as a modern day center and that nasty we hear about is for real we are set. Willi will need to prove he belongs or cut ties while the iron still has heat.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Capela is fools gold folks. We did this once before and his name was Mikki Moore.
What? Like literally the only thing Capela and Moore have in common is that they are both tall.

Last year Capela put up 18.2 pts, 14.2 rbs, 2.4 blks per-36, 24.5 PER, .242 WS/48 as a 23-year-old.

The year before we acquired him Moore put up 13.4 pts, 7.0 rbs, 1.0 blks per-36, 14.8 PER, .131 WS/48 as a 31-year-old.

There can be a case to arguing whether Capela is worth a max contract because of the talent around him, but he's got nothing to do with Mikki Moore.

A bit of chatter out there that NO will not resign DMC. Who knows??
Cousins might possibly not want anything to do with the Kings and visa versa, but does anyone out there feel if we select Donic at 2 that there is a place for Cousins back on the Kings. We finally have a good supporting cast.

I obv wouldn't max him but, Nurkic is interesting.

Still only 23, good passer, rebounder and shotblocker. A beast inside.

I had him on my fantasy squad last year, he had a underwhelming first half of the season and picked it up near the end of the year.

they might as well get as many "IC" players as they can - Fox/Bogdonovic/Doncic/Zbo/Nurkic

Last edited:
Cousins might possibly not want anything to do with the Kings and visa versa, but does anyone out there feel if we select Donic at 2 that there is a place for Cousins back on the Kings. We finally have a good supporting cast.
No chance, both from the DMC camp and the Kings camp.

First of all, absolutely no on any free agent centers. Willy is basically 80% what Capela is, Joegers system just doesnt utilize athletic rim running center the way Rockets do. We dont have four guys spacing the floor and run 1-5 pick n roll over and over again.

At the moment we have three young centers: Willy, Giles and Skal. All of them potentially capable offering 80-90% of Capelas production when utilized correctly. No reason to waste valuable cap space on another center.

Also there are oversupply on centers at the moment and you can get quality production for minimal cost. On the other hand there are very few athletic 3&d versatile wings so if we want to put our resources somewhere it should be for a guy like that.

All this might be a moot point since we insisted on wasting cap last free agency so most likely we should just take in bad salary and gain assets

Will continue to lose and again it will be the fault of our FO and supporting cast. Let's try something different, if not simply for the sake of novelty. Please.

What? Like literally the only thing Capela and Moore have in common is that they are both tall.

Last year Capela put up 18.2 pts, 14.2 rbs, 2.4 blks per-36, 24.5 PER, .242 WS/48 as a 23-year-old.

The year before we acquired him Moore put up 13.4 pts, 7.0 rbs, 1.0 blks per-36, 14.8 PER, .131 WS/48 as a 31-year-old.

There can be a case to arguing whether Capela is worth a max contract because of the talent around him, but he's got nothing to do with Mikki Moore.
How is Capela comparing with Faried back in the day?