Skinner as #2 PF

Just like it would've been great to get Nene for Mobley, it would obviosly be nothing but gain for Petrie to turn Mo Evans into E Griffin or Songalia into R Evans instead of just letting them walk for nothing.

However, if that or something like it doesn't happen how about making Skinner the primary back up guy at PF? He has good size (at PF), defense, rebounding, and shotblocking skills although he is not extrordinary at any. He would be a good change of pace from SAR and add some toughness.

If (and maybe a big if) Rick moves SAR over to small forward for 10 minutes a game to be the primary guy to give Peja a break, that could open up a solid 20-25 minutes at power forward not played by SAR. That could be a significant role on this team. Might be a perfect spot for Skinner.

At this point K Thomas and SAR are under contract for 5 years. Thomas would basically have to say he was ok with being a backup for the rest of his career if he were to stay with us. I think that would be highly unlikely and wouldn't be surprised or even blame him if he asked to be traded.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I prefer Skinner as the #2 PF ou of out current options.

That said, I would be far more comfortable with a single third big man PF/C 6'10+ type to be a 6th man and eat the majority of the big man minutes, and then have Brian as the 4th big man. He's the right type of player and of all the spare parts, be happiest to have him back, but don't think he has the impact I would like to have behind the all-softie starting frontcourt.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem is that as it stands, Skinner is the team's only viable option to back up Miller at center.

I'm guessing that Sampson was signed to a non-guaranteed contract, so there's a chance he won't even make the opening day roster.

That leaves Brian to come in at the five spot.

My guess is that Skinner and Thomas will split duties at the PF spot depending on matchups.

With no real backup for Peja on the roster as it stands now, I would guess that Kenny Thomas will also spell Stojakovic, perhaps teaming with SAR. Or in certain matchups, Wells will swing to the three and Martin will play the two.

In any event, I think if Petrie were to bring aboard another player via trade, it would behoove him to make it a guy who can play center. Ratliff, Chandler (I can dream), even Nesterovic.

sidney said:
Just like it would've been great to get Nene for Mobley, it would obviosly be nothing but gain for Petrie to turn Mo Evans into E Griffin or Songalia into R Evans instead of just letting them walk for nothing.

However, if that or something like it doesn't happen how about making Skinner the primary back up guy at PF? He has good size (at PF), defense, rebounding, and shotblocking skills although he is not extrordinary at any. He would be a good change of pace from SAR and add some toughness.

If (and maybe a big if) Rick moves SAR over to small forward for 10 minutes a game to be the primary guy to give Peja a break, that could open up a solid 20-25 minutes at power forward not played by SAR. That could be a significant role on this team. Might be a perfect spot for Skinner.

At this point K Thomas and SAR are under contract for 5 years. Thomas would basically have to say he was ok with being a backup for the rest of his career if he were to stay with us. I think that would be highly unlikely and wouldn't be surprised or even blame him if he asked to be traded.
Agreed.

I think KT is gone now too, soon.

funkykingston said:
The problem is that as it stands, Skinner is the team's only viable option to back up Miller at center.

I'm guessing that Sampson was signed to a non-guaranteed contract, so there's a chance he won't even make the opening day roster.

That leaves Brian to come in at the five spot.

In any event, I think if Petrie were to bring aboard another player via trade, it would behoove him to make it a guy who can play center. Ratliff, Chandler (I can dream), even Nesterovic.
Wholeheartly agree.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
funkykingston said:
With no real backup for Peja on the roster as it stands now, I would guess that Kenny Thomas will also spell Stojakovic, perhaps teaming with SAR. Or in certain matchups, Wells will swing to the three and Martin will play the two...
Did something happen to Corliss since I last checked the board?

;)

Yeah, as of right now, Corliss is the back-up SF for us. I wouldn't mind if that stays, as he's real solid, but would rather see someone like Harpring/Jones/Barnes/Adrian Griffin there. Corliss/Patterson/Anderson behind them.

Mo, well, still wants part of the MLE and a multi-year deal, and is wanted by the Wolves, Spurs, and Pistons. He'd have to move back to the LLE and 2-3 year deal for us to get him, like early in July. I'd def. love him back if that could happen. He'd again be ideal for backing up the starter. But more possible in that way, would be guys like Buckner/Person/McKie.

Last edited:
sidney said:
Bricklayer said:
I prefer Skinner as the #2 PF ou of out current options.

That said, I would be far more comfortable with a single third big man PF/C 6'10+ type to be a 6th man and eat the majority of the big man minutes, and then have Brian as the 4th big man. He's the right type of player and of all the spare parts, be happiest to have him back, but don't think he has the impact I would like to have behind the all-softie starting frontcourt.
This just sums it up. Skinner is a nice player that does some good things, but nothing well enough to really warrant big minutes. He can fill in in critical situations and give us some good minutes, but I don't want him to be our primary backup anywhere. I'd much rather trade Thomas and try to grab a very good (for a backup) big man to be the sixth man and do all the dirty work that our starting 5 cannot do.

captain bill said:
This just sums it up. Skinner is a nice player that does some good things, but nothing well enough to really warrant big minutes. He can fill in in critical situations and give us some good minutes, but I don't want him to be our primary backup anywhere. I'd much rather trade Thomas and try to grab a very good (for a backup) big man to be the sixth man and do all the dirty work that our starting 5 cannot do.
I disagree. Skinner is deffinetly a good talent and player to give minutes to. If we trade Kenny for a backup C, Brian shoul deff be the backup PF. It fits him better, since he'll probably face shorter guys at that position :).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Omaha-King7275 said:
I'd rather see Matt Barnes or Maurice Evans backing up Peja instead of Corliss
That wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Corliss Williamson is still on our roster. I think he deserves to at least be mentioned in conjunction with the SF position.

Mo Evans is most likely gone. I think the chances of seeing Matt Barnes come back are good, but neither are currently on the roster.

;)

in all fairness i think he did average 10 points a game this year. he's not a complete bum. i can't call him scorliss corliss anymore

everyone consistently conveniently forgets abuot Corliss, especially when talking about the SF position in general.

I second the motion of wanting Evadns back, and hoping Barnes can help out, but as VF said, Evan's train is soon to be leaving the station and Barnes may be soon arriving, but we still do not know. He could jump ship (or train) at the last second and sign elsewhere for more money.

Right now, all we can say is Corilss is the backup SF, Kenny is the backup PF, and SKinner is the backup C. In essense we got three good quality backups for a former all-star .

As we stand now, I expect the rotation to be similar to traditional Adelman:

Bibby 35-40 min
Wells 35 min
Peja 35-40 min
SAR 35 min
Miller 35 min

KT 20-25 min
Hart 10 min
Skinner 10-15 min
Martin/Garcia 10-15 min
Corliss 10-15

all times are approximate and depending on matchups. I think KT would be best used as the 6th man SF/PF Hedo-esque backup. Skinner should get most minutes behind Miller, with Adelman hopefully not going small to Corliss at C very often.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
everyone consistently conveniently forgets abuot Corliss, especially when talking about the SF position in general.
I didn't forget about him. I just don't want to see him getting any playing time. At least before the signing of SAR and Wells he gave the team an added dimension as a SF who posts up.

As much as I like Corliss as a person, I hope he and/or Kenny Thomas are dealt before the season starts.

funkykingston said:
I didn't forget about him. I just don't want to see him getting any playing time. At least before the signing of SAR and Wells he gave the team an added dimension as a SF who posts up.

As much as I like Corliss as a person, I hope he and/or Kenny Thomas are dealt before the season starts.
In the case of a trade, we would get someone else to backup Peja, but what I was saying is that people are like "wait, who's gonna back up Peja" constantly when Corliss is sitting there...and if he is the only SF other than Peja on the roster, I doubt Adelman is gonna use Garcia or KT before he uses Corliss.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Skinner at #2PF is OK but that is a big dropoff in scoring. Skinner at #2 behind Brad at center is my pref for many matchups but then who is #2 PF? Thomas? He is not happy at all on bench. Songaila filled #2 PF really well past 2 years and got better.

Kenny Thomas is better shooting inside 15 ft but Darius was really good last year in the 15-20 ft range.

No obvious solution to #2 PF but if we stay pat it is Kenny Thomas and maybe Darius as #3 PF and C. Way too early to speculate.

LPKingsFan said:
I think KT would be best used as the 6th man SF/PF Hedo-esque backup. Skinner should get most minutes behind Miller
KT could work there and Skinner did ok at center last year, but I disagree that that is where we should play Skinner. We haven't really seen him play healthy much at PF and I think he could be a very powerful PF instead of an ok center. He just doesn't have enough size to do well there.

Did anyone else see that rumor a week or so back that the Mavs turned down a trade of Nesterovic (6.7 mil) for Tariq Abdul Wahad (7.3 mil), mainly because Tariq only has 2 years left on his contract? I wonder if they would go for a Corliss for Nesterovic if they really just want to drop contract years.

C: Miller, Nesterovic, Sampson
PF: SAR, Skinner, (Thomas traded?)

That's getting there although still not ideal...some defense, rebounding, toughness, and shotblocking off the bench.

Oh no, I totally agree with you that we'd be best served moving Corliss or KT for a center. That said, I was just predicting with what we've got now.

While mulling around real gm I found some centers that could probably be had for either Corliss or KT:

Rasho Nesterovic
Etan Thomas
Lorenzen Wright
Tony Battie
PJ Brown
Mark Blount
Danny Fortson
Michael Olowokandi
and Scot Pollard

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
LPKingsFan said:
While mulling around real gm I found some centers that could probably be had for either Corliss or KT:

Rasho Nesterovic
Etan Thomas
Lorenzen Wright
Tony Battie
PJ Brown
Mark Blount
Danny Fortson
Michael Olowokandi
and Scot Pollard
Unfortunately I do think people are fooling themselves a bit with the Etan Thomas references -- they really like him in Wash, and they should. There's no way in hell he could be had for Corliss or Darius. Kenny...well they SHOULDN'T do that one either, but maybe. Maybe. Still a different class form the rest of those guys who are all emintently available if really you want them.

Washington is high on Songaila, he'd be the one to get Etan from Washington. Possibly with another player involved. Etan is a PF/C.

Seattle/Philly/Nets are also high on Darius.

Lorenzen Wright, Petrie already tried, and was turned down (likely in the Bonzi trade?). So were the Jazz/Spurs/Mavs. Him or Etan would be great.

Fortson a center? Nope. He's 6'8"/6'7". I'd be weary of him on this team anyways for obvious reasons, and Reggie Evans is overall better. Little negatives other than weak on offense, but I honestly don't care much about that.

Kandiman? Probably. Only problem is his attitude, I think. Hopefully he cleans that up either way for the good of where-ever he is.

Pollard? I don't know, sure if we can't get Etan/Brown/Elson.

Brown? Yeah.

Battie? Pretty good other than knee problems.

Rasho? Yeah.

Blount? Solid, but isn't his contract ridiculous?

(my own addition):
Elson? Yes. Young, athletic, 7 footer. Can obviously block shots, would be gotten for cheap.

Fortson??????

LPKingsFan said:

Rasho Nesterovic
Etan Thomas
Lorenzen Wright
Tony Battie
PJ Brown
Mark Blount
Danny Fortson
Michael Olowokandi
and Scot Pollard
FORTSON???? Breathe.....Breathe........:mad:

Corliss can be Fortson without the Technicals..... and I'll still have Fortson to hate! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why Corliss has gotten so little support to stick around in this thread. For me, of the 3 Philly pieces and parts we got, I'd rather keep Corliss and use the other two to get that tall, athletic guy or something else to improve.

Corliss epitomizes the image and style that needs to become more of what defines the Kings. The BIG things that Corliss gives the Kings that they desparately need more of are: 1) a back-to-the-basket, post-up game, 2) a banger inside, and 3) sheer toughness. The recent trades have pushed us in some of these directions, true, but we need oh-so much more.

I would love for our new team to be DEFINED by hustle and toughness, and then let the chips fall where they may with wins and losses. Corliss, as a role player, would contribute that new M.O.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1kingzfan said:
I'm not sure why Corliss has gotten so little support to stick around in this thread. For me, of the 3 Philly pieces and parts we got, I'd rather keep Corliss and use the other two to get that tall, athletic guy or something else to improve.

Corliss epitomizes the image and style that needs to become more of what defines the Kings. The BIG things that Corliss gives the Kings that they desparately need more of are: 1) a back-to-the-basket, post-up game, 2) a banger inside, and 3) sheer toughness. The recent trades have pushed us in some of these directions, true, but we need oh-so much more.

I would love for our new team to be DEFINED by hustle and toughness, and then let the chips fall where they may with wins and losses. Corliss, as a role player, would contribute that new M.O.
Word.

Corliss also has: 1) NBA final experience; and 2) a nice shiny NBA championship ring. Personally, I like having that kind of experience on the bench and I'd like to think the jewelry could be a real motivator.

;)